Profile for fireblue > Reviews

Content by fireblue

fireblue (Sheffield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Crystal Clear (Invisible) - Apple iPhone 6 - (2 x Screen Protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly perfect fit., 26 Sep 2014
There are a lot of iPhone 6 covers out just after release, but the vast majority are just guess work. Carphone Warehouse were selling one for £20 that covered the front camera - they suggested I 'trim it a bit'.

No need with the MediaDevil protector it's a perfect fit around the camera, light sensor and earpiece at the top and TouchID sensor at the bottom. Most impressively it's gone on without a single bubble.

I always use MediaDevil screen protectors where I can as they are so durable and this one looks just as good. I've had the same protector on an iPad 2 since launch and even though the kids have it now it's still going strong.

As the iPhone 6 has a curved screen the protector doesn't go all the way to the edge, but for me this is a benefit as it doesn't catch on my case and keep lifting up - you know how annoying that is with the 5c. I installed mine whilst it had an Apple silicone case on and they compliment each other well.

Very highly recommended.

[Bamboo] Ultra Thin 0.7mm Metal Aluminum alloy Bumper Case Cover Fits For Apple Iphone 5 / 5S ,Red
Offered by BAMBOO

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Stylish, 29 Nov 2013
I was looking at the iPhone 5s and thought how thin and light it was. I then realised my iPhone 5 was just as thin and light, it just happened to have a full body case on it. Solution - front and rear screen protector and one of these little beauties.

The images here don't do the product any justice. I have the red one and it's a deep, glossy and metallic finish that after two months has shown no signs or wear or tear. It fits neatly to the iPhone - the little bulge at the bottom is when it all screws together and rather thoughtfully you get two spare screw and it comes with a screwdriver!! Again, the screws haven't moved at all in two weeks.

It fits really well and is simple to do. There is a tiny overhang at the back so it's well protected and a small protrusion around the home button so it down't lay flat on the front screen - it does need a screen protector though if you carry coins / keys etc.

All the cutouts are in the right place and are well finished. Only drawback is that, as with all bumpers, it won't fit in my dock - but hey-ho I can just use a cable.

Recommended? Indeed - I've ordered the black and grey versions too just incase they stop selling them!!

Red
Red
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Red (Audio CD)
8 year old daughter loves it and actually, so do I. A lot less country than I was expecting and a great duet with Ed Sheeran.

Crucial CT960M500SSD1 960GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Crucial CT960M500SSD1 960GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my about £1,500, 29 Nov 2013
I was contemplating a Retina Mac Book Pro but instead decided to upgrade my HDD in my 2011 15" Mac Book Pro which has the hi-res screen. I'm not disappointed as it absolutely flies. Starting from cold to working desktop is about 20 seconds and all operations happen much faster.

I run Aperture and Photoshop mainly and pulling large RAW and PSD files is no longer a drag. Aperture actually feels much faster than my Mac Pro. I have to do some PC work so I run Parallels and Windows 7 and this is now workable with Windows on my Mac Screen and all the photo stuff on a 27" monitor.

My Mac has 16Gb RAM, but it's the SSD that's made it possible to run so much at once without any issues.

Installation is really easy and you just need a small screwdriver and a little bit of care. People often say Mac's are difficult to upgrade, but anyone who can handle a screwdriver can complete this upgrade.

Advice for upgrading - backup your Mac using Time Machine. Install the SDD and use Recovery Console to either load from scratch or recover from Time Machine. It takes a bit longer, but there are no complications.

Sony PlayStation 4 Console (PS4)
Sony PlayStation 4 Console (PS4)
Offered by Clearance Game Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything Sony is a very neat package., 29 Nov 2013
Day one review: Looks really slick and runs very quiet even when playing 1080p games. Controller is a big improvement even though I loved the PS3 version. User interface is really, really smooth and fast - even the store which would be heavily loaded - everything the PS3 is not. Downloaded some media apps and games and they auto download and install in the background - lets me get on with playing the games.

Setup was really easy - power, HDMI and Network cable and then it's the standard stuff of setting up a PSN account or signing in. I had to set the sound to be DTS as it defaulted to standard audio but everything else was taken care of.

Wonderful console and plenty of games to keep me going for now. Gives the smaller studios a time to shine before the big boys step in, but the smaller casual games are just as much a draw for me and the family.

Good Selections Whole House Spider & Pest Repeller
Good Selections Whole House Spider & Pest Repeller
Offered by Gizoo - Gadgets & Gifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Bugs beware, 7 Dec 2011
Well, here I am writing a review for a bug repelling device, how bizarre, but I had to because of of all the very poor reviews.

Does it work - well it has for us. We live in a new build on the edge of wooded area and it's like animal wonderland inside and outside so we had some monster spiders, particularly over the past two years. We installed our device after our cat passed away and they've all gone within 2-3 weeks. I honestly haven't seen a spider for weeks and it would be at least twice a week you saw one running across the floor at night as well as the usual suspects dotted around the house.

It does make a noise - to me it sounds like a scurrying animal in the walls which freaks me out a little - but my wife can't hear it at all. If you can hear it you can stick it anywhere in the house as it goes through the wires in the house.

I'd rather see the spiders, but the wife loves it and really doesn't like spiders so it's been an excellent value purchase. Highly recommended.

Netgear ReadyNAS 4200 12TB Network Storage System
Netgear ReadyNAS 4200 12TB Network Storage System
Price: £6,419.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS and low end iSCSI device, 31 Aug 2011
The first thing to note about this device is that it is loud, heavy and gets hot, so don't think about having this in an office environment - it needs to be racked in a cooks room with air conditioning.

The unit is very well built with a custom LINUX OS so whilst there are mouse, keyboard and video ports you don't need any of them. Setup is very simple, plug in the two power cables - it beeps loudly if only one is connected - and the two network connections - upto 10Gb copper UTP. You need to be connecting to at least a 1Gb network to make use of this. All the cables are included but the UTP cables are only about 1m so you may need longer ones based on you setup.

Once it's in the LAN you simply download RAIDar (see what they did there), install it and run the fairly lightweight and simple app. From here you can see the status of the device in terms of the PSU's, network connections, hard drives and fans. It's worth noting that my device reported an error with fan3 not spinning, but it was spinning at the same speed as the others. A quick call to Netgear and they emailed a firmware update - very impressive, polite and responsive support.

Back to the setup and it was all very straightforward. A wizard takes you through the basics of configuring the network, time server and admin passwords etc. The help in each screen is actually helpful and relevant. Adding in Active Directory credentials was a little more tricky as you need to understand roles in AD and the user / group implementation is not what you would call 'windows' friendly.

In terms of storage we've gone for some general 'Shares' and iSCSI shares to Windows Servers. It's iSCSI where this device really shines for me and if you're not up on the technology I suggest you invest some time in it. Setting up a new LUN is really very simple and it's a matter of entering an IP address in iSCSI Initiator on you Windows server, or in fact and server, mac or PC.

We have a full blown £125 grand iSCSI SAN and this NetGEAR beats it for pure performance in terms of transfer rates by about 20%. It doesn't have some of the fancy features such as thin provisioning but it does do snap shots, can synchronise between two units. You can also increase the size of a fully provisioned volume which is something my SAN can't do.

The disks in the device are 1tb Western Digital Blacks so are good for continual server use. After formatting and dual disk redundancy we were left with around 9tb of usable space. Space is managed as one big block in the NAS so there is no thought needed on your part.

To sum up this is a premium NAS device which offers great features at a very reasonable price. As a NAS it will serve small businesses and using iSCSI it will scale up to Enterprise level for second tier storage. Backed up with quality support this is a purchase I can recommend.

Melkco Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protector - Apple iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S
Melkco Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protector - Apple iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen protector, 2 Mar 2011
This is a matt screen protector so it has a texture to it that is very pleasant in day to day use. It resists scratches and finger marks much better than the iphone or other standard screens. I now wipe my screen when the kids have been playing on it rather than everytime I want to read an email!

I've been using it for about a month now and it is stored in my pocket when not in use. I don't have it in with my keys etc, but it is sometimes in with loose change etc. Very durable, and has not lifted at the edges - seems to be a tiny bit smaller than the iphone screen so it doesn't hang over the lip of the screen.

Had to reposition twice when I was putting it on as I wasn't paying enough attention so it wasn't straight, but it's gone on with no air bubbles in sight.

The matt screen does produce a slight 'sparkly' effect on very small text and softens the screen a little, but I knew this from previous iphones so it was no surprise and it doesn't distract from the iphones excellent screen. Playing games, watching videos etc have no issues in this area.

Some comments say you can't see outside with this screen. I find the opposite - rather than being a mirror as the iphone is without a screen protector you see a lovely reflection free view.

First class product, highly recommended against a mirror (never again!!) or standard screen protector.

Pryroflam Casserole with Lid, 2.0L
Pryroflam Casserole with Lid, 2.0L

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Mar 2010
Reading the advertising on Pyrex's web I have to say I was more than a little sceptical, but the product really is amazing. We use it for everything, rice pudding, casseroles, chilies, well anything you can cook in a pot.

The beauty of it is that you can start with it on the hob to brown the meat, stick the ingredients and the stock in and then bung it in the oven, take it out and it look great so you can serve from it on the dining table - then you stick the leftovers in the freezer!!

Very easy to clean, ours still looks like new, it is a very bright white. Very durable as it's been knocked about a bit and has no marks.

Thoroughly recommended.

Dvb Beckham Signature for Women Containing 30ml Eau de Toilette and 150ml Body Lotion
Offered by My Discounts Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 26 Mar 2010
Not one for buying celeb products and certainly no fan of Posh but this was an affordable stocking filler. Having said that it smells beautiful and I'm so glad I bought it for my wife.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3