Profile for Simon Lindsay > Reviews

Simon Lindsay

AM
AM

5.0 out of 5 stars It's an unexpected joy!, 10 Dec 2013
This review is from: AM (MP3 Album)
It's smart, thematic, and nicely divided into two distinct parts...........up to track 6, and then the rest. I'm way into my 50s, but still find the AMs as freash as ever, and up for moving on album by album..........and for me at least, this was a little chunk of joy that only Daft Punk have matched in the last year in terms of a band giving up something new that was also something worthy.

Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Nutri Juicer Plus, 1300 Watt
Sage by Heston Blumenthal the Nutri Juicer Plus, 1300 Watt

5.0 out of 5 stars Stonkingly Good!!!!!, 2 Aug 2013
We have one of the ultra low speed auger juicers, and it's built to last a lifetime, but while not difficult to clean, it's a messy bit of kit to dismantle with a ridiculously low output nozzle. Took a chance on the Sage, which is frighteningly fast at juicing fruit.......4 apples in the feeder tube, switch it on, and 5 seconds later, four apples juiced. Quite amazing.
you have to skin oranges and lemons and water melons, but no big deal......especially big water melons as they are easy to do.

So what's the result of this? Well, I was a diet coke fiend.......not any more. My appetite is supressed in a way i would not believe, so even lunch and dinner or probably half of what I would normally consume, and my diet coke intake has gone from something like six or seven cans a day down to one.......and even that one is losing it's hold on life.....it'll soon be none.

Never would I thought a juicer would have transformed what I eat and drink to such a huge degree. Be warned though.......stuff like Innocent juice can seem expensive in the supermarket, and once you use this machine, you'll know why. I am rattling through fruit and veg at a frightening rate, and I now find myself in Costco twice a week topping up on apples, water melons and carrots. Big tip.......don't juice grapes!!! I reckon my lovely glass of grape juice probably cost me a fiver!

Oh, and the big feeder tube menas that you don't have to cut up fruit to anything like the degree that i had to with my low speed auger........apples go in whole, as do oranges.......and I mean full size apples and oranges, not just little Cox's Pippins or tangerines.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 8:11 PM GMT

Random Access Memories
Random Access Memories
Offered by davehopetrading

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling, simply dazzling., 30 July 2013
This review is from: Random Access Memories (Audio CD)
I don't know what makes music "important", but if it ever truly is, then this is one very important album.......least to me, it is. Every listening brings a new joy along with it. I'm old enough to remember the 70s vividly (and not just disco). This album contains so many colours and hues of stuff I've always held to be brilliant.....for example, I can't listen to RAM without picking up little flavours and textures of the wonderful Steely Dan....and not in a pastiche way, I mean it comes across a wonderful fresh piece of Steely Dan overlayed with something else....it just excites the hell out of me.
I won't labour the point or try to analyse this too much. Suffice to say that for this aging music fan, this is quite possibly my favourite album of the last five years. Glorious stuff.

Classic Christmas
Classic Christmas
Offered by mrtopseller

2.0 out of 5 stars It's all been done before and it's all been done much better., 29 Nov 2011
This review is from: Classic Christmas (Audio CD)
You know, it might well come across as mean spirited to knock a Christmas album, but then again, no more mean spirited than this blatantly commercial effort to keep plugging the former X Factor singer. Doubtless he's a pleasant enough lad with a pleasant enough voice, but the world is jam packed full of those.
This is yet another in a long line of undemanding and ultimately unrewarding bubble gum for the Christmas ears. Every song here has been done so much better. Compare this lifeless version of When a Child is Born to the classic version, or even Chris Rea's "Driving Home for Christmas" to the ponderous and turgid offering we have here.

This sort of stuff relies on the depth of the emotional hook that Cowell manages to implant during the X Factor "journey". The lad McElderry is a competent singer ploughing out competent and thoroughly uninspiring work with not a shred of originality or identity. If this album were a tin of paint, it would surely be magnolia. Given the quality of the recordings that already exist for each and every song on this album, then you have to ask why anyone would touch it with a barge pole.......but they do, such is the strength of the Cowell hook.
It will, of course, disappear from sight and be replaced by something equal bland in exactly 12 months time. Having said that, we might have McElderry's Classic Easter and/or Classic May Bank Holiday albums to fill the void until his replacement rolls off the X Factor conveyor belt.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2011 8:27 AM GMT

That's Entertainment: A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical
That's Entertainment: A Celebration of the MGM Film Musical
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars It's simply fabulous...., 31 Aug 2011
Ignore the one star review........"it has no character".........I'd like to see someone define "character" in this context. I'd presume you'll know the songs, and doubts, subliminally, you'll recognize the arrangements from the original performances, without perhaps understanding the elements that were involved in pulling it all together......precious few people do (and I ain't one of them). Well, John Wilson's labour of love faithfully re-creates those masterful arrangements, and due to the wonders of the digital age, captures them beautifully.......there are moments of staggering beauty within this album (and that coming from an analogue devotee).
I have the original recordings.......and I therefore also have the recording flaws held therein. This piece of work doesn't seek to diminish or replace Judy Garland or Gene Kelly's work.....it ain't possible. However, it most certainly DOES allow the contemporary listener to hear and understand the nuances of the orchestral arrangements as they were written, but in a clarity and fidelity that previously did not exist.
A thoroughly uplifting compilation of work, and two very enthusiastic thumbs up from me.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 30, 2011 12:00 PM GMT

Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD]
Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Hamm

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps on oozing quality, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Mad Men - Season 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I'll keep this short. For my money, Mad Men still stands as a God amongst mortals. That's three series of cream and honey TV that rewards the committed viewer over and over and over.
Yes, the British may come across as ghastly parodies to the eyes and minds of those who forget (or never knew) just how many crass uppercrust buffoons the death throes of the British Empire was still capable of producing. The final episode of series 3 certainly re-dressed the balance somewhat for those looking for a Brit to love. If you think those attitudes simply don't exist, or never existed, I suggest you look a little more closely at the Kraft-Cadbury situation!
As the saying goes, "you don't know what you've got til its gone". Believe me, when it finally comes to an end, the world of TV will be a poorer place without Don Draper et al. For me, Mad Men remains a wondrous concoction.

Mad Men 2
Mad Men 2

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Evocative Mix, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Mad Men 2 (Audio CD)
I agree with the previous review, but given this is Volume 2 of the Music from the Series, and not the TV show itself, I can't claim to have "watched" Volume 2, but I certainly have listened to it a good few times. Much of this music is class in a glass, and doesn't need the Mad Men TV series as justification for its existance, but my oh my, it certainly helps if you didn't live through the era.
While it triggers more memories of my Mum singing along to much of this stuff while it was played on radio, the TV show certainly gives fresh context for the older listener. For those discovering this diverse mix for the first time, then my oh my, you really are the lucky ones. A (second) quality soundtrack.
And if you haven't yet caught the TV show.........for my money, you've missed the greatest TV series since I don't know when.

Gretna FC: Living the Dream: A Season with Football's Most Remarkable Club
Gretna FC: Living the Dream: A Season with Football's Most Remarkable Club
by Andrew Ross

1.0 out of 5 stars Football's most remarkable club?, 25 Jun 2008
With the catchlines "Football's most remarkable club" and "Living the Dream" set as near enough the copyright protected descriptors of Gretna FC's rise, then the final act of the drama being played out in the spring and summer of 2008 tends to tell a different story. There was in fact, nothing remarkable going on in the borders village. There was no dream. It was the input of mountains of cash into one club in the lower Scottish leagues resulting in a meteoric rise to the Scottish top flight. Once there, the cash was withdrawn, and the club quickly sank without a trace. However, this was no majestic slip below the waves a la Titanic. This was much more of an aged tramp steamer, badly in need of a coat of paint, listing heavily to port before burping and belching it's way to the seabed. Everyone got off safely, including the architect of the boat. The truth at the end of the day, undermines the whole premis of the book to the point where it really isn't worth carrying on. Perhaps it's wothwhile if you are into delusional writings. Other than that, I'd have to say "don't bother".
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 5:55 PM BST

The Team That Dared to Dream - The Amazing Rise of Gretna FC from Division 3 to the FA Cup
by Jon Tait

3.0 out of 5 stars Smoke and Mirrors, 23 Jun 2008
Well, I've read it. I've read it twice. First time round was when the book came into print. In order to get the full flavour of the 'brave village team battling against all the odds", there was a requirement that's quite unusual in a book. You had shut your eyes.....or rather, your mind's eye. If you didn't then all sorts doubts as to why this 'fairytale" was happening raised their ugly heads time and time again.
If however, you were prepared to set the inquisitve mind to rest, and set aside any questions as to the legitimacy of this tale of derring do, then yes, it was a pleasing enough little yarn. However, as with all fairytales, you "had to believe". And it was this enforced "believing" that ultimately told you that this story was at best, a little economical with the truth. This wasn't dogged stoicism and Corinthian spirit holding out against adversaries equiped with far greater resources. On the contrary, the only thing "wee" about Gretna was their support, their ground, and their hometown. It was actually Gretna who were the high rollers, not their opponents. Just somewhere along the line, the story was much convincing if Gretna were perceived to be the underdogs. The truth (as we now know) was actually somewhat different. But as the old saying goes, never let an ugly truth get in the way of a beautiful lie.
As it turned out, "the Gretna FC story" was "spin" on a scale that New Labour devotees would have recognized well.
Having re-visited the book now that reality has set in, it's a depressing read. It's a conjuring trick gone wrong. You know how it ends, and you know what you are reading is real (or partly real) in the eyes of only a few souls. And when it's done, you realize that not only did it have to be read with your eyes shut in order to believe it, but in order to exist at all, the author had to write it with his eyes shut too. How weird is that?

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars In defence of the Multipro Libra, 14 April 2008
Erm.......can't rip something to pieces because it comes with all the bits and pieces you could hope for! For maybe having optional extras...yes...but for being fully equiped, then no. Leaks.......mine doesn't.....not a drop...ever. I guess the big question is.......is it as good as a Magimix? Possibly not...it doesn't have the cache for starters. However, it has all the power, and compared to the 5200XL, I'd say it isn't really that far off the mark in overall ability. Time will tell if it has the durability. Now, as to storage. It isn't the bleedin' Tardis. How can you possibly expect a 9" by 9" base to have storage for bowls, grinders, liquidizer, spatula, juicer and umpteen blades. It would defy the laws of physics. It's a bit like being unhappy with a shoebox because it'll only hold one pair of shoes. In the sub £200 rrp category, it is very much worthy of consideration. Sorry Amazon, but I got mine in Costco for £117. At that price, it's an absolute bargain.