Profile for Dr.Vollin > Reviews

Content by Dr.Vollin

Dr.Vollin (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Silent Hill Special Edition 2 discs + 1h30 Exclusif Bonus [FR IMPORT] With english audio
Offered by CASHNET

5.0 out of 5 stars It is far better than the Uk /US release, 18 April 2015
For those interested in picture quality, buy the French Metropolitan blue ray edition. It is taken from a 4k transfer and overseen by the director Christopher Gans. It is far better than the Uk /US release. One of the best looking blue rays.

Within Wet Walls
Within Wet Walls

5.0 out of 5 stars Be seduced.., 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Within Wet Walls (Kindle Edition)
Within Wet Walls is one of my favourite stories from Lily Childs. Building on what she does best, Lily ushers up a beautifully atmospheric tale that tells of life within Wealdstone House, an imposing building filled with a rich yet unsavoury history, all from the viewpoint of one of it's long deceased occupants. Lily never fully explains the condition of the ghosts she creates, she gives hints and tantalising clues, yet they are all the more seductive for it. Her creations are glimpsed in opium filled deliriums, felt upon the skin and heard in whispers, only fully revealing themselves to those that join them. It's wonderfully realised and I do wonder if perhaps Lily could develop them for a future, longer work. For now though, they do a fine job of drawing you in to their existence; histories are told with an almost seductive tone (which fits the character of Eliza beautifully), and the attention to detail conjures up images with an apparent effortless ease. Lily's style is wonderfully Gothic without falling into the pitfalls attached to the genre. It's a tale to be taken seriously, enjoyed and relished. My time within Wealdstone House left me satisfied, though I feel that just perhaps, a little of my heart was left within it's walls. After all, it is said Eliza always takes more than she should of it's visitors. Recommended.

NIGHT OF THE DEMON(1957)(blu ray) NEW HD 2013 MASTER-REGION 2/B(uk)
NIGHT OF THE DEMON(1957)(blu ray) NEW HD 2013 MASTER-REGION 2/B(uk)
Dvd ~ Maurice Denham, Niall MacGinnis, Peggy Cummins Dana Andrews
Offered by wmdservices

5.0 out of 5 stars A great release of a classic film, 9 Oct. 2014
This is the best the film has ever looked. The transfer is wonderful, add to that a great book filled with beautiful pictures and you have a release that is worth every penny. The french certainly know how to put a blue ray together. I ordered off Amazon fr and it was just over twenty pounds. There is a slightly cheaper Spanish version but the book that comes with the French one is more that worth the extra money.

5 Albums Box Set - Dawnrazor/The Nephilim/Elysium/Earth Inferno/Singles and Mixes

5.0 out of 5 stars A top notch release for Nephilim fans, 3 Aug. 2014
Chances are you already familiar with the band so I won't go into detail about the albums tracks, so I'll just mention the bits that are extra. Firstly, I've compared the albums to the original releases and it does appear that they have been remastered. The good news is they don't fall foul of compression. The sound is clear but still maintains the depth of sound and all tracks sound better than before. The difference is small, but it's there. The mixes and singles CD is a great extra and something I've wanted for a long time as most of the tracks found here were only available on vinyl (although some were included on a limited 2 disc version of revelations). The version of psychonaut that is bassless for the first 4 minutes or so is great and although released on CD single is quite rare, so great to have it included. Likewise with 'In Every Dream Home A Heartache'. The only thing I would change, and this is nit picking to be honest, is that the single version of 'psychonaut should have been on the 'Nephilim' album, not 'Elysium', which it is here. Just due to it being produced by Bill Buchanan. But as I say, this is really nit picking. Each CD comes in a thin cardboard sleeve with the original art work and all are housed in a rather lovely box. For the price this is a steal. Worth getting even if you already have these albums. A great release.

Horror 101: The Way Forward
Horror 101: The Way Forward

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for writers of horror, 11 Jun. 2014
There are a number of books aimed at the would be horror writer. Some of them are rather good (Stephen Kings' 'On Writing), and some of them are...well, let's try to forget about those. Horror 101: The Way Forward, I'm pleased to say is not only one of the better ones, but to my mind, the best. Praise indeed, but just take a look at what is on offer here:
Advice on prose and style: Check
Working habits: Check
Writing for screen, comics and audio books: Check
Editing: Check
Promotion: Check
Submitting and formatting: Check
I could go on and on, but suffice to say, if there is another book so stuffed to the gills with advice and help, I have yet to find it. This has it all. Suffering from writers block or lack of inspiration? Mark West and Emma Audsley are there to help. Thinking of creating a website to promote your masterpiece? Then Michael Wilson has just the article for you. Want to find an editor or write a kindle book, yep, you guessed it, all covered. And these guys (and gals) know what they're talking about. Too many books of this sort are put together by writers who's only publishing credit is the 'how to book' with their name on it. With Horror 101 though, you have banquet of talent. Authors like Graham Masterton, Edward Lee and Ramsey Campbell; these people know their craft and are more than happy to share their insights with you. It's like attending a week long camp with your favorite writers but without the hangover.
I could go on and on about this title, but I will end in saying that as a fledgling writer myself, this has, and continues to be invaluable. If you want to write (and not just horror, as it is beneficial to all writers) then you need this book. Simple as that.

Inspirational. Helpful. Essential.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 1:25 PM BST

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Offered by Sent2u

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Oct. 2013
Every track is great here. The best album I've brought all year. I really started getting into Gary's stuff around the time he released Exile, though I had brought some of his earlier work, but this to my mind is his best.

House of Small Shadows
House of Small Shadows
by Adam L. G. Nevill

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary as hell., 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: House of Small Shadows (Paperback)
Adam Neville just gets better and better. With 'House of small shadows' he has set the bar very high, so much so, I doubt I shall read a book as terrifying or as unsettling this year. It's not all horror of course. Adam's characters are so believable that he also brings heartache and sorrow to the table. There are pages here that so beautifully describe heartbreak that they will resonate deeply with those that have experienced it, and also the madness it can bring. The setting, the atmosphere and mystery are all top notch, and it's so scary that there were times when I had to put the book down and settle my nerves before continuing. If you want a real horror novel then this should be at the top of your list. Absolutely fantastic. A must read.

Cabaret of Dread: a Horror Compendium
Cabaret of Dread: a Horror Compendium

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and delicious, 1 Sept. 2013
It's very difficult for an author to find their own distinct voice, as more often than than not, in imitating their heroes, they become pale ghosts of the writers they should truly be. I'm pleased to say this isn't the case with Lily Child's. Her voice is so distinct I can't really compare it to anything else.

Here in CABARET OF DREAD she showcases a number of short tales, flash fiction and poetry (as well as a longer piece, the wonderful THE INFANTRA TRIPTYCH), and what a wonderful collection it is.

Tales such as 'Smiling Cyrus' and 'Pretty Pinholes' have the sort of startling imagery that will haunt your mind for days. 'Living in a box' is as dark as they come, but Lily balances it with style and leaves the story on a high note. 'Staring at the Pink' will ensure you never look at your grandma ( or a suckling infant) in the same way again. And the story 'Femme' actually made me wince ( men be warned).

Of course their are poems and flash pieces too, and these also see Lily juggle a myriad of themes and ideas. Here we find the destitute, the lonely, the mad and the beautiful, and also quite a lot of humour. 'Watching Demelza, and 'Strut' particularly made me smile. It's black humour of course, something that also appears in Lily's longer works, and I'm happy to say the balance is spot on.

All in all, there is plenty to enjoy here. The stories are well written ( and often terrifying), the shorter works thought provoking and beautiful, and I very much look forward to volume 2.

Oh, one more thing.

Though I normally sleep peacefully, last night after finishing reading this collection, I had terrible nightmares. It may have been something I eat. It may not have been. Don't say I didn't warn you. Like I said...the imagery stays with you.

Whitstable
Whitstable

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Whitstable (Kindle Edition)
After hearing many a good word about this, I decided to give it a go. And, my, I'm glad I did. This is a wonderful, touching and beautifully written story. I absolutely loved it.

The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)
The Wanderer in Unknown Realms (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 27 May 2013
Connolly is at his best when doing creepy, and this tale (very much like his excellent Nocturnes collection) finds him dishing it out in spades.Beautifully written, plotted and paced, this is top class. Highly recommend.

Page: 1 | 2