ARRAY(0xa2b07774)

Profile for Girl Who Walks a Lot > Reviews

Content by Girl Who Walks...

Girl Who Walks a Lot "black leggings and a t-shirt" (Brooklyn, NY)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Platinum Collection (International Release)
The Platinum Collection (International Release)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Dance the Hoochie Coo !, 16 Mar 2014
Ah Ms Baker, been a fan of yours since the late 80s when a new friend at the time from South Africa introduced me to your extension album collection and Lavern was part of it along with Varetta Dillard, et al.

I have worn holes in all my Lavern cds over the years and my all time favorite song is not part of this collection, is Voodoo Voodoo, how can anybody resist the line - ' He done a voodoo voodoo'ed me ! ' Yummy.

I continue to kick myself as her wake and funeral was held her in NY and being a social worker at the time, I was not really able to get away to get to it in Harlem and missed out saying goodbye to her. But have found out recently that she is buried in Kew Gardens, Queens, only a subway ride away, so will be going to pay my respects to my 2nd favorite all time singer ( after Ella ) sometime this spring.

I am humming Jim Dandy already.

RIP Lavern. xx

Hound Dog - The Essential Collection
Hound Dog - The Essential Collection
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars They call me Big Mama cos I weigh 300 pounds, 16 Mar 2014
I am new to Big Mama, although have known for years that Elvis made a ton of money off her original version, much like Georgia Gibbs had more airplay than Laven Baker's ' Tweedlee Dee '. I am very glad I gave her a chance, because I love her, and she is a fine addition to my Lavern Baker, Ruth Brown, Dinah Washington, Varetta Dillard, etc collection.

I love her songs and her words make me smile, and I love how rather than being ashamed of being 300 pounds at the time, she flaunts her size and defies you to mess with her !

I hear that a new biography is due out next month, so I shall be looking out for it.
Her end was quite a sad one and she was a shadow of her former self, and a collection had to be made in order to even bury her decently.

RIP, BM. xx

The Complete Book Of Food Combining: A new, easy-to-use guide to the most successful diet ever
by Kathryn Marsden
Price: 11.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Food combining made very easy, 7 May 2013
I have read many books on food combining and The Hay Diet, Kathryn Marsden makes it easy and fuss free. She basically only follows two main rules which are eating fruit separately and never mixing carbs and protein in the same meal. Other books have more rules with regard to fruit eating ( acid and alkaline ), plus either allowing two proteins in a meal or not, or two starches in a meal or not, plus the use of lemon juice or vinegar.

She feels that many of these 'extra ' rules only make food combining more difficult and are not all that important.

She is easy going and flexible and even goes so far to say that food combining may not be your thing, but to at least give it a try.

If I still lived in England, I would be happy to have a personal consult with her, she is very approachable, you can tell that thru her writing.

Highly recommended book !

Food Combining in 30 Days
Food Combining in 30 Days
by Kathryn Marsden

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and straight forward, 27 April 2013
I got this as a second hand copy here in NY as I wanted a simple and direct explanation of food combining, having read Fit for Life in the 80s.

This book was very simple to understand, clear and direct and I immediately set about going on it, today is my 2nd day and can already feel so much less stomach distress.

Highly recommended !

Parallel Lives: Vintage Books Edition: Five Victorian Marriages
Parallel Lives: Vintage Books Edition: Five Victorian Marriages
by Phyllis Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic !, 22 April 2013
I enjoyed this book very much.

Reading about those unusual marriages and seeing how very difficult things were for women then. Things are hard enough now, but a Victorian marriage could really be a hellish thing for a woman.

I enjoyed it so much that I ordered a copy for my friend in Wiltshire, I am hoping she will concur with my thoughts on the book.

Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais
Effie: The Passionate Lives of Effie Gray, John Ruskin and John Everett Millais
by Suzanne Fagence Cooper
Price: 7.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent !, 22 April 2013
I really enjoyed this book and learning all about Effie and her experiences with being married to both Ruskin and Millais.

It is generally not a great idea to judge people's behavior and motives based on current thinking as they had such a totally different mindset. That said I could not fail to feel a tremendous amount of empathy for Effie, as a woman who has struggled for the past 30 years with her own body and weight, I can well understand the feelings she must have felt over knowing that her ' person ' was not acceptable to her husband, hence his lack of desire to ever touch her.

She paid a heavy price for her second marriage, but in her place, I would have made the same choice.

Lizzie Siddal: The Tragedy of a Pre-Raphaelite Supermodel
Lizzie Siddal: The Tragedy of a Pre-Raphaelite Supermodel
by Lucinda Hawksley
Price: 10.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 22 April 2013
I am new to the whole PRB in terms of reading anything about them or the women who modeled for them.

This book was a very easy and light read and a great introduction to a person just getting her feet wet with the subject.

I have ordered another book by the same author.

Blood On The Tracks
Blood On The Tracks
Price: 4.96

5.0 out of 5 stars She can look me up, if she's got the time, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Blood On The Tracks (Audio CD)
Oh yes Mr Dylan, I do have the time !

This is a terrific cd and if it only contained Idiot Wind and If you see her, say hello, it would still have been worth every cent I paid for it.

Everyone will naturally have their own personal favorites, but mine happen to be Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks, Modern Times and Tempest.

Long may these cds be played !

Criterion Collection: Le Beau Serge [DVD] [1958] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Criterion Collection: Le Beau Serge [DVD] [1958] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Brialy
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 12.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Film, 13 April 2013
I am a huge Claude Chabrol fan being introduced to him in the mid 90s on a trip to London and stopping by the movie house to see ' L'enfer '.

This was a terrific film that I enjoyed, and immediately followed up with Les Cousins.

Definitely Maybe
Definitely Maybe
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 6.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Still rocks my world at 50+, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Definitely Maybe (Audio CD)
This cd came out when I was still in my mid 30s and was exactly my kind of thing at the time. High energy upbeat songs that were brilliant for me to bop along to in my Walkman or on my treadmill.

I am now 52, and the treadmill has been replaced with an elliptical and a recumbent bike ( oh the knees !!! ), and it still gives me one hell of a good workout.

Sounds as good now as it did then.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3