Profile for G. Chen > Reviews

Content by G. Chen

G. Chen "not any book" (London)

Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers, 2013 Edition
by TSO (The Stationery Office)
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars useful, 12 Sep 2013
A must for preparing for the test. These exercises help me better memorize what the handbook has covered. Highly recommended.

Spanish Verb Conjugation Quick Reference
Spanish Verb Conjugation Quick Reference
by Carla Davis
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy and helpful, 22 Feb 2013
A fellow student recommended this booklet to me. I've found it handy. It is simple and of a little price. The "Other verbs that follow the same pattern" section under each model verb table is particularly useful, which helps me easily identify the changing pattern of verbs with same or similar ending (such as -car, -cer, -gir, etc). Saves me a whole lot of trouble summarizing verbs of same pattern.

Mozart: 15 Easy Piano Pieces [With CD] (Schirmer Performance Editions)
Mozart: 15 Easy Piano Pieces [With CD] (Schirmer Performance Editions)
by Elena Abend
Edition: Sheet music
Price: 6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable and helpful, 14 Dec 2012
I had looked for sheet music and sample recording for self-teaching. This book is very useful for building my piano playing skills. I totally loved it.

Collins Mandarin Phrasebook (Collins Gem)
Collins Mandarin Phrasebook (Collins Gem)
by HarperCollins
Price: 4.17

2.0 out of 5 stars not practical, 4 April 2011
It seems to me that this phrase book is not designed with the travel's benefits in mind; instead, it appears merely translated a certain European language phrase book into Chinese. For example, there is a sentence like this: "Keep straight on, after the church turn left/right." This sentence is pretty useless, because churches are such a rare thing in China that I bet you need to be lucky enough to come across one. It would make more sense if "church" is replaced by "temple". Another example: "I want a refund." Returning what you've bought is very common in the UK, but I assure you if you say this sentence to a shop assistant in China, he/she will think you're crazy. I've grown up in China, I've never seen a shop which practices refunding policy. So again, this sentence is useless. Some more examples that show the editor has not done his/her job properly: "Can you recommend a good local wine?" "The wine list please." "A caraf..." Hey, where do you think you're travelling? Italy? France? You can buy wine in China, but the Chinese have no "local wine", typical Chinese restaurants don't provide a "wine list", nor does anyone knows what "a caraf" is except that you eat in an European food restaurant.

If you just want to learn some Chinese, this booklet is not a bad choice. If you want to use it for a trip to China, however, this one is not desirable,in my view. I also bought a Mandarin phrase book by Lonely Planet, which is of better quality. It seems to be written by an author who has lived in China for some time.

Finally, there are some mistaken pinyin (Chinese pronunciation system), especially with the sound "u".

Easy Learning Spanish Conversation (Collins Easy Learning Spanish)
Easy Learning Spanish Conversation (Collins Easy Learning Spanish)
by Collins Dictionaries
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars good content, bad printing, 29 Mar 2011
I am a big fan of Collins Easy Learning range. My first trial of Easy Learning product was in 2003. Over the years, I've used Easy Learning dictionaries, grammar and vocabulary to learn French, Spanish, German and Itanlian. This range DOES deliver their promise of "easy to use": explanations are clear and concise, the structure of information and layout are designed to make the book easy to navigate.After trying and comparing several brands of langugage learning products, I've found that Collins Easy Learning does make the learning process more effetive. That is how I come to love this range. I would highly recommend this series to beginning or intermediate language learners.

But today, while browsing this Spanish Conversation eanestly, I am very disappointed by its printing and production quality. I've compared this brand new copy with the Easy Learning Italian Grammar that I bought second-hand three years ago from Amazon Marketplace; the production quality (printing, paper, color) is a far cry from the Italian Grammar book. The internal design and layout of this book is excellent, but unfortunately the printing quality does not do justice to it: lines and letter strokes are so badly printed that it seems the printing machine was running out of ink; the shaded table that should look elegant actually looks dirty and I can't help checking my fingers to see if any ink drops. Pages in the middle seems likely to drops after a couple of uses. I'm thinking about asking for replacement from Amazon. But since books are printed in batches, the replacement copy wouldn't be any better.

I am a very demanding reader, I admit. But I am also a very serious language learner and book buyer. It is really a pity that Collins has tried to lower their cost in such a not-so-clever way.

Berlitz Learn German Premier (PC/Mac) (6 CD Set - Windows & Macintosh)
Berlitz Learn German Premier (PC/Mac) (6 CD Set - Windows & Macintosh)

3.0 out of 5 stars its content not well organized, 29 Mar 2009
I like very much the interactivity of this pack, really a "premier" learning package.But the flaws are evident: the video clips in it seem ages old and don't look fine; there lacks a system of its content, it gives you the impression materials have been just packed into the software without well orchestrated; there are separated CDs for Windows and Mac, so you have to pay for part you don't need, like me, I use Windows and the disks for Mac are useless; I have found several mistakes in the Grammar part, for instance, in the declination of adjectives. All these make this pack seem less reliable. Oh, another thing;it is absolutely not suitable for beginner.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OK,but not as expected, 29 Mar 2009
The design is fine, but the quality is really mediocre: the leather feels coarse especially the strap and gives off an unpleasnat smell, it takes almost one month for the smell to lessen.

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D For Dummies
Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi/450D For Dummies
by Julie Adair King
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely useful and easy to read, 27 Feb 2009
I strongly recommend this book to any new owner of Canon EOS 450D, like me. I've found it really easy to read. The author has covered all the functions thoroughly and make the off-putting technical jagons otherwise appalling to novices crystal clear.The printing and bounding are excellent. Full color photos, neat illustions...really good.