Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
My History: A Memoir of Growing Up
My History: A Memoir of Growing Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich little rich girl, 28 Jun. 2015
Very refreshing to read an honest account from someone who made a successful career despite having a very privileged and happy childhood. Makes a change from the usual rags to riches story with parental and sexual abuse along the way. The anecdotes about her saintly father are particularly interesting. A slight reservation is that I was often not clear whether the author was expressing smug self satisfaction or an awareness of how lucky she was.. The odd comparison with her second husband, Harold Pinter, for example the wartime evacuation experience suggests the latter but on other occasions she seems to suggest that meeting the celebs of the time was something to which she had a right. From time to time the stream of conscious approach results in fragmented passages that seem to have little to do with the phase of life that is ostensibly being discussed. Personally I would have liked a bit more about the political and social context in which she had her experiences. What was it like being in a prominent Labour family in the company she kept? But in general a good read.

My Life in Houses
My Life in Houses

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful memoir, 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: My Life in Houses (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting way of framing an autobiographical memoir from a very interesting person (who happens to have written some very interesting books along the way ...... and stayed married to the same person.

Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance
Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Boris came to mind., 25 May 2015
Not what I was expecting but a delicious portrait of political and social life in the mid 19th century.

Universal Man: The Seven Lives of John Maynard Keynes
Universal Man: The Seven Lives of John Maynard Keynes

5.0 out of 5 stars How did he do it?, 25 May 2015
Probably not for everyone but for someone who studied economics at Keynes' university shortly after his death and remain a (slightly reconstructed) Keynesian it was a pure joy. Although I have kept abreast of the biographies of Keynes, this account of his other lives was refreshing and increases my admiration for him. How could one man keep so many balls in the air and keep a diary of much of it?

Curtain Call
Curtain Call

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a book to be enjoyed at several levels, 25 May 2015
This review is from: Curtain Call (Kindle Edition)
Certainly a book to be enjoyed at several levels, a murder mystery, an account off London in 1930s, a study of gay life at the time, a romcom and an analysis of what constitutes literature, but I am not sure that any of them quite come off. For most readers, including me, the murder plot is the core of the book but this ends very perfunctorily and the final couple of chapters are an anti-climax. Similarly with the Tom-Madeleine romance, One might have expected at least an allusion to it in the final essay by Jimmy. One thought came to my untutored mind: is this a Grahame Greene type Roman Catholic novel? And is Madeleine's redemption and survival something to do with her deep seated belief in the power of the Almighty.

Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)
Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough is enough, 14 April 2015
As usual a readable page turner but the banned soviet book plot was not at all convincing and it was rather obvious what was going to be the outcome. I was also disappointed that there is to be another Clifton Chronicle. I thought we were promised 5 at the beginning of the series. I am actually getting a bit bored with the Barringtons and the Cliftons and above all with the Fenwick woman. I am not at all sure I will buy volume 6.

Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted
Mad Girl's Love Song: Sylvia Plath and Life Before Ted

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 17 Feb. 2015
A very good read even if, like me, you only have a fairly casual interest in Ms Plath. Seeing her as someone who was just an obstreperous teenager who had a gift with words was informative and helpful in understanding what happened after her meeting with Hughes

Inequality and the 1%
Inequality and the 1%

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes some important points but is rather repetitive and does ..., 17 Feb. 2015
Makes some important points but is rather repetitive and does not really add anything of value to the Piketty book.

Martins Chocolatier Dark and Delicious Selection 30 Chocolate Premium Gift Box
Martins Chocolatier Dark and Delicious Selection 30 Chocolate Premium Gift Box
Offered by Martin's Chocolatier

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but naughty, 17 Feb. 2015
Would give it five stars but for the damage it probably did to my family's health

Norton Security 2.0 in 1 User 5 Devices [2015] [Product Key Card]
Norton Security 2.0 in 1 User 5 Devices [2015] [Product Key Card]

2.0 out of 5 stars Norton makes life difficult, 17 Feb. 2015
The product is fine. But registering it with Norton was a major problem. I already had an account with them with a slightly different product and they seemed totally incapable of extending the account with this new and supposedly superior product. Eventually I managed to close my account and open a new one. But I had to leave it till the date of closure of the old account or I would have lost some of the protection I had already paid for. It will be Kaspersky next year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6