Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Suspended Sentences: Three Novellas (The Margellos World Republic of Letters)
Suspended Sentences: Three Novellas (The Margellos World Republic of Letters)

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories are made of this, 14 Aug. 2015
I bought this because I thought I ought to read something from the 2014 Nobel prize winner of whome, like most Anglo-Saxons I had never heard.I don't know how good an introduction to Modiano's work these novellas are but they were the most immediately accessible on Kindle. As someone who spent much of his early career in Paris many decades ago I found the hints of Paris and Paris life as it was particularly fascinating. If you don't know Paris I wonder what the descriptions and hints of descriptions will do for you. Obviously the dreamy nostalgic reminiscences will appeal to some, they are often almost poetic (though I did wonder on occasion whether the translator had done him justice). But if, like me you hope for at least some sort of closure in a novel you will be disappointed. For example Flowers of Ruin opens with a historical mysterious double suicide and the reader is led to believe the narrator might throw some light on it a few decades later. In the event what it offers is the narrator's reminiscences of wandering round much the same territory as the suicides did on their last evening though they are largely forgotten about well before the end. Short novellas, short chapters make this good bedtime reading and those with genuine literary tastes and a passion for close reading will get more out of it than I did.

The Sunrise
The Sunrise

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Greek Tragedy, 31 July 2015
This review is from: The Sunrise (Kindle Edition)
As a philhellene it's what I've come to expect from Hislop. An excellent story which paints a very fair picture of the causes and consequences of the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.

3 Sets of 5 ink cartridges for CANON PIXMA IP4850 IP4950 MG5150 MG5250 MG5350 MG6150 MG6220 MG6250 MG8150 MG8220 MG8250 MX885 IX6550 Printer Inks PGI 525BK, CLI 526Y, CLI 526M, CLI 526C, CLI 526BK
Offered by Colour Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 31 July 2015
They work satisfactorily my Canon Pixma MG5300 and the price is very reasonable which is all there is to say.

This New Noise: The Extraordinary Birth and Troubled Life of the BBC
This New Noise: The Extraordinary Birth and Troubled Life of the BBC

3.0 out of 5 stars Fragmented Noises, 31 July 2015
I was rather disappointed. On the whole the chapters dealing with the 1930s I found the most interesting. Much of the more recent stuff about scandals of the past decade or so read like extracts from Guardian features and comments and since the accounts of these events have been widely reported there little of it was very new. There was also an over emphasis on radio, particularly Radio 4, which is indeed the best reason for keeping the BBC but it really is a minority matter in terms of both resources and audience.I would also like to have seen more about the implications of the digital media in which it seems to me that the BBC is leading the way in many respects and demonstrates that an organisation does not have to be private to be innovative. Should there have been more about the second world war and its aftermath. There is a disconcerting tendency to jump between the 1930s and the 1990s and 2000s with relatively little in between. Still the book may serve its purpose in getting uniformed people like me to think about the strengths and weaknesses of one of our great national organisations. It is readable so I hope others can be persuaded to look at the recent scandals in a wider context.

My History: A Memoir of Growing Up
My History: A Memoir of Growing Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Rich little rich girl, 28 Jun. 2015
Very refreshing to read an honest account from someone who made a successful career despite having a very privileged and happy childhood. Makes a change from the usual rags to riches story with parental and sexual abuse along the way. The anecdotes about her saintly father are particularly interesting. A slight reservation is that I was often not clear whether the author was expressing smug self satisfaction or an awareness of how lucky she was.. The odd comparison with her second husband, Harold Pinter, for example the wartime evacuation experience suggests the latter but on other occasions she seems to suggest that meeting the celebs of the time was something to which she had a right. From time to time the stream of conscious approach results in fragmented passages that seem to have little to do with the phase of life that is ostensibly being discussed. Personally I would have liked a bit more about the political and social context in which she had her experiences. What was it like being in a prominent Labour family in the company she kept? But in general a good read.

My Life in Houses
My Life in Houses

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful memoir, 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: My Life in Houses (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting way of framing an autobiographical memoir from a very interesting person (who happens to have written some very interesting books along the way ...... and stayed married to the same person.

Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance
Mr and Mrs Disraeli: A Strange Romance

5.0 out of 5 stars Boris came to mind., 25 May 2015
Not what I was expecting but a delicious portrait of political and social life in the mid 19th century.

Universal Man: The Seven Lives of John Maynard Keynes
Universal Man: The Seven Lives of John Maynard Keynes

5.0 out of 5 stars How did he do it?, 25 May 2015
Probably not for everyone but for someone who studied economics at Keynes' university shortly after his death and remain a (slightly reconstructed) Keynesian it was a pure joy. Although I have kept abreast of the biographies of Keynes, this account of his other lives was refreshing and increases my admiration for him. How could one man keep so many balls in the air and keep a diary of much of it?

Curtain Call
Curtain Call

4.0 out of 5 stars Certainly a book to be enjoyed at several levels, 25 May 2015
This review is from: Curtain Call (Kindle Edition)
Certainly a book to be enjoyed at several levels, a murder mystery, an account off London in 1930s, a study of gay life at the time, a romcom and an analysis of what constitutes literature, but I am not sure that any of them quite come off. For most readers, including me, the murder plot is the core of the book but this ends very perfunctorily and the final couple of chapters are an anti-climax. Similarly with the Tom-Madeleine romance, One might have expected at least an allusion to it in the final essay by Jimmy. One thought came to my untutored mind: is this a Grahame Greene type Roman Catholic novel? And is Madeleine's redemption and survival something to do with her deep seated belief in the power of the Almighty.

Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)
Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enough is enough, 14 April 2015
As usual a readable page turner but the banned soviet book plot was not at all convincing and it was rather obvious what was going to be the outcome. I was also disappointed that there is to be another Clifton Chronicle. I thought we were promised 5 at the beginning of the series. I am actually getting a bit bored with the Barringtons and the Cliftons and above all with the Fenwick woman. I am not at all sure I will buy volume 6.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7