Profile for Fingers McGraw > Reviews

HP Officejet Pro X451 Printer
HP Officejet Pro X451 Printer
Offered by GAbusiness
Price: 242.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not really a printer for casual home use, but for a business it's a very capable machine, 17 May 2014
We bought this for business use and it is perfect for that. It has been used to replace a laser printer, which by comparison was less economical and a general pain.

Pros:
Network ready
Very fast print speeds
Good quality printing
Starter ink cartridges lasted for ages (nearly a year!)
Paper drawer holds almost a full ream of a4 90gsm paper
No jams
High capacity carts really are high capacity 6,600 pages (manufacturer info)
Network admin page is good

Cons:
Replacement ink is expensive - you're talking nearly 300 for a set of four high capacity cartridges
Not really suited to photo printing

I don't honestly think you can knock any points off because it isn't a multifunction printer - there's no scanning or copying - after all, it is marketed just as a fast and economical business printer - something it delivers very well.

Lacor-71812-ST.STEEL PRESSURE COOKER 12 LTOS.
Lacor-71812-ST.STEEL PRESSURE COOKER 12 LTOS.
Price: 219.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, unfussy and solid induction friendly pressure cooker, 24 Feb 2014
When I saw this on offer at about a quarter of retail price, I snapped it up. It seemed very good value compared to smaller but more expensive stainless steel cookers from other makers.

Overall, I would describe it as a very simple pressure cooker and a very useful size for larger meals and batch cooking. The stainless steel is good quality and the base retains and transmits the heat evenly and very well. We bought it specifically to be compatible with our induction hob and it has performed flawlessly.

It has a silicone sealing ring which appears very durable and everything fits together snugly and seals well. I did however have to tighten one screw attaching the pot handles on the second time I used the pressure cooker - a small job, which fixed a small pressure / liquid leak. I'm not inclined to be overly grumpy about these things.

I think there can be a tendency to overcomplicate cooking and cooking implements. There seem to be an array of pressure cookers with fancy features - coloured rings to indicate pressure levels, dials for this that and the other and even some with digital timers. The Lacor's simplicity is perfect for me - when the pressure is rising, the two handle locks pop up and when it is at pressure, the weight on the top hisses and wobbles - we turn it down at that point to retain the slightest wobble we can manage.

Another strength is the capacity - you might think that 12 litres is overly large for general use, but in practice it isn't. We cook for 4 in it and make batch soups which last two of us three days. Max usable capacity is always lower than the 'to the brim' capacity, which is worth considering when buying a pressure cooker. When cooking beans and pulses which can foam, you can only use about 1/2 the stated capacity. Being a large, it is also perhaps a good option for cooking marmalade oranges etc.

Regarding spare parts - I have checked and it does seem to be easy enough to obtain spare parts for this cooker. It is something I considered before buying as it would be a pain to need a sealing ring and not be able to find one.

Finally - accessories or lack thereof. Some pressure cookers come with trivets, steamer baskets and other accessories, this one doesn't. The only accessory is a small pin to clear / clean the top valve if necessary. I got an old stainless colander in a charity shop for a couple of quid and removed its handles which acts as a steamer / trivet all in one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 11:52 AM GMT

Omron M10-IT Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor with Dual-User Facility and Dual-Size Cuff
Price: 56.23

4.0 out of 5 stars A good package and the connectivity element is welcome (for a geek like me), 11 Feb 2014
I looked at all the options and really, and assuming the whole range of blood pressure monitors pretty reliable, I selected the M10-IT on the basis that it:

* offered separate measurement for two users
* provided an automatic average of three measurements taken one after another
* allowed connection to a computer to keep track of measurement over time

It was simple to set up. You set the time and date and if needed set up the automatic readings facility. I have mine set to take three readings and then provide the average. I think this is really helpful as sometimes the process of taking a reading may cause a spike in anxiety and therefore your readings.

I also loaded the OMRON software onto my PC. From memory I downloaded the latest version from their website.

Once I've taken a reading I plug it in to my PC with a USB cable (provided) and this allows you to:

* upload your most recent data (SYS/DIA/PULSE)
* view your readings by year, month, week or day and by time of day
* extract these figures into a CSV file for use in Excel (for example)

Although the Omron software is good, I think it could be better. The graphs etc seem a bit teeny weeny. This is where the download functionality is helpful as I have basically set up my own spreadsheet where I paste the data into and the tables / charts are better suited to my needs.

Overall, the unit seems well made and well thought out. The best bit for me is the connectivity element which has given me a reliable and easily updateable method of keeping track of my blood pressure over time.

Bulk Hardware 6 x 4-inch Surface Fixing Rimlock Sashlock - Grey
Bulk Hardware 6 x 4-inch Surface Fixing Rimlock Sashlock - Grey
Price: 10.08

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for ..., 28 May 2013
We had a ball latch on our front door as well as a lock ... the wind would always blow the door open when just left on that latch, so I bought this lock to provide a proper latch. Manufacture is passable - the metal construction is pretty thin which does affect functionality. If you over tighten the screws the paint will lift round the screw holes. We can't pull the door shut and it latch, we have to turn the handle to close. The keep part is the same thin material and I can see it deforming over time if you did try to slam it shut regularly. The other issue is that if you tighten the mounting screws fully the latch mechanism does not return properly, again requiring a twist of the handle to release it. It is just about functional and I suppose it performs as you might expect a latch from this price bracket to.

Excel VBA Macro Programming
Excel VBA Macro Programming
by Richard Shepherd
Price: 17.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Some very good information in the book, but it has its shortcomings, 25 Feb 2013
I'm a VBA novice and I'm coming to the topic as a newcomer. This book has its strengths - there are alot of examples which are really useful.

There are areas where the language used could be clearer and some snippets of code could be more usefully put within the context of a shub routine to hammer home the method of getting the macro to do what you want.

My biggest gripe is in the over use of the MsgBox - having started with writing macros to say "hello world" or similar, I really needed to get to grips with taking the results of something (like the user inputbox values) and putting them to use somewhere in a workbook, a worksheet or elsewhere. Instead, the author gives you a code and it just reports back in a message box.

Joseph Joseph Elevate Kitchen Utensil Gift Box Set, 6 Piece - Multi-Colour
Joseph Joseph Elevate Kitchen Utensil Gift Box Set, 6 Piece - Multi-Colour
Price: 35.55

1.0 out of 5 stars Style over Substance AKA solve one problem create another ..., 14 Jan 2013
Do not be seduced into buying these.

The presentation box was nice enough. The utensils themselves have a pleasant splash of colour and the grips feel comfortable (although you're hardly going to be using a utensils for long enough to develop RSI anyway). Unfortunately though it really is a case of the emperor's new clothes with these utensils. The whole idea (supposedly) is that the handle with inbuilt rest is supposed to allow you to leave the utensil on the side / cooker / table and the head will not touch the surface - "Bravo" I hear you say. The trouble is that it creates another altogether more annoying problem - the grip / rest portion of the handle is too heavy and therefore when you leave the spoon / utensil in a casserole dish, saucepan or in the food you are serving, it does its utmost to back-flip out of it, causing alot of mess and swearing on the part of the hassled cook. Imagine that happening in the dining room!

The heads of the utensils aren't bad. They seem a bit shallow and have a rather "design-y" look, which isn't necessarily consistent with practicality. All in all, I couldn't recommend them and would suggest that you look at alternatives, preferably ones which leave a nice splodgy mess on your side when you put them down, but nevertheless stay in the food / saucepan when you leave them there.

Belkin iPhone / iPod USB Wall Charger Dual Port F8Z240uk for iPhone 4s,4,3gs,3
Belkin iPhone / iPod USB Wall Charger Dual Port F8Z240uk for iPhone 4s,4,3gs,3
Offered by Micro Online UK
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Android phone and Kindle Keyboard, 9 Jan 2013
Two things happened almost simultaneously - the charger supplied with my phone was on its last legs and I purchased a Kindle Keyboard. As you don't get a charger with the Kindle (bah-humbug) I found myself needing two chargers. This adapter was a neat solution for me as it only occupies one socket yet provides sufficient juice to charge my phone(s) and the Kindle simultaneously. It's quite unobtrusive and will allow you to use whichever type of USB cable you need for your phone, kindle etc. It came with a charge only cable for ipod and mini-USB ... I can't comment on either's usefulness, other than I don't have any apple products and all the things that need charging in my house seem to be "micro" USB, rather than the larger and older "mini" type. As such the cables were put in the bagfullofuselesscablesIkeepundermydeskfornoapparentreason.

Internal Letter Box Draught Excluder Cover With Brushes & Flap - White PVC
Internal Letter Box Draught Excluder Cover With Brushes & Flap - White PVC
Price: 4.97

2.0 out of 5 stars The bane of my postman's life ..., 9 Jan 2013
I bought this to go on the inside of my letterbox. We have a solid wood door with a brass letterbox on the outside and the wind can whistle through it. The first thing is that the shape is only just able to cover the letter box - I would certainly not recommend this to anyone who feels their letter box is bigger than average. I don't feel we have a thinner than average door, but nevertheless, the brass outer flap continually fouls on the brush liner of this draught excluder, meaning that rather than reducing draughts it can increase them. The inner flap construction is also a bit feeble - I would give the whole thing 3 months tops - I would expect it to either break during that time, or be stolen and destroyed by my long-suffering postman.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2013 5:46 PM GMT

Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Black Resin Strap MRW-200H-1BVEF
Offered by TimeZone
Price: 20.30

5.0 out of 5 stars A great watch for the money, 9 Jan 2013
I bought a Timex digital watch when it was on offer and it kept resetting itself, so I had to go through the laborious process of selecting another watch. The simple style and good reviews of this watch, as well as its low price persuaded me to order it and I'm very glad I did. The face is very clear and the night time glow of the digits and hands is sufficiently bright to allow me to read the time even in the most bleary eyed mid sleep state. Setting up the date and day was, to be frank, a right royal pain in the behind ... for about three days I wrestled with it, finding it wasn't right for one or both. I endured though and got it to display the right information and it's been fine since. The strap is OK - I can see it being a weak area, but we'll see how it fares. The front face is not scratch proof, but considering I've been wearing it for more than a fortnight solid (I don't take it off for anything) and it has only the lightest signs of use (and I'm typically a clumsy person) I would say it is sufficiently robust for all but the most hardened watch-destroyer. I really didn't want to go down the g-shock route on account of cost and appearance and I'm pleased so far that being a cheap skate has paid off.

All in all, I'd recommend this as a good looking functional watch which by its outward appearance doesn't give away its very modest price.

Britax Evolva Plus Group 1-2-3 Car Seat (Max/Black)
Britax Evolva Plus Group 1-2-3 Car Seat (Max/Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars An absolute nightmare to strip and clean ..., 20 Oct 2012
This has got to be the most awkward seat to remove the covers from and clean up post-vomit. The straps are a nightmare to free at just one end, undoing both ends appears to be impossible. Doing so while trying not to cover yourself and the surrounding area with sicky bits is not an experience I wish to repeat. Oh, and any liquid matter magically falls straight through the seat onto your car seat below (leaving you more cleaning). If you do have to hose the car seat down (because it can't be completely stripped of its straps), water collects inside and takes an age to drain.

Now, I would imagine that children being ill in the car isn't entirely uncommon, so why on earth Britax have designed it as such a Krypton Factor challenge to strip and clean I do not know. So, before you buy this seat I urge you to have a look at the alternatives, particularly with a view to ease of cleaning.

Had you asked me whether it was a good seat before the sick incident, I would have rated it as a 3 1/2. The shoulder straps take quite a bit to pull tight, which is a bit of a niggle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3