Profile for Tim Jarvis > Reviews

Credit Card Size Permit Holder
Offered by AMSLTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Check the postage costs, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Credit Card Size Permit Holder
Product is fine - one star for that.
However check the P&P before you buy. I didn't, and am very disappointed to learn that I paid £3.99 for a small first class envelope making this a very expensive permit holder overall.

MiniSun Branded 3W Super Bright GU10 LED Bulb with 60 x 3527 SMD LEDs - 420 Lumens - Warm White
Offered by The Light Factory

5.0 out of 5 stars Brighter and a bit whiter than 50w halogen, 29 Aug 2013
Very impressed with these bulbs - they are not as warm as halogen but appear brighter, work really well in a kitchen. I fitted 6w LEDs elsewhere at twice the cost of these bulbs and wish I hadn't bothered - have just ordered some more I like them that much.

Blackspur BB-JS206 12V Trickle Charger
Blackspur BB-JS206 12V Trickle Charger

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 22 April 2013
I've been using one of these for about six months on a medium sized car that stands over the winter. The battery has stayed charged enough to start it once a month or so without having to fully re-charge the battery.
It doesn't get hot as some others have found, maybe my battery is in better condition but it's a few years old so who knows.
It's been dropped on the garage floor and it didn't break.
All in all for the money it saves a load of hassle and works well.

Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)
Procter Pest-Stop Little Nipper Mouse Trap Boxed (x2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective but not perfect, 11 April 2012
I bought a couple of these (as a more expensive electronic repeller proved to be pretty useless) and have caught loads of mice over the last few weeks.

My success rate is about 60-70% as on occasions the food has gone with the trap sometimes sprung and other times still in position, would love to know how they do it... some more fine-tuning on the setting is probably in order

Apart from the unpleasant (ideally three-handed) task of peeling off the dead mouse from the sprung trap, the only problems are (1) they wake me up when tripped, usually the mouse has his last act of revenge as this tends to be 4 in the morning and (2) the last mouse that tripped it (2am this time, wide awake again) did not die and had to be introduced to Mr brick and Mrs paper bag in the middle of the night, this would give me cause to never leave the traps set and baited whilst out of the home to avoid unnecessary suffering.

Having said the above, all but one hits were instant kills and we have re-used the trap many times without it being damaged so I would highly recommend this product.

PS small pieces of hot cross bun seem to work for me
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2012 2:49 PM BST

Pest-Stop 2000 Ultrasonic/Electromagnetic Pest Repeller
Pest-Stop 2000 Ultrasonic/Electromagnetic Pest Repeller
Offered by @Home

1.0 out of 5 stars Ineffectual, 11 April 2012
First up to say that I was sent a Brighter Image product, not the Procter one shown. I cannot relate at all to the positive reviews here and assume that we were sent a substitute product.

Our tactic was to nicely persuade our mice to leave of their own accord with this device rather than putting down deadly traps straight away. That plan didn't last long. The very first night we plugged it in, following the instructions and selecting "boost" mode, a pack of greedy roving mice cleaned us out of Maltesers in the next room. I honestly can't believe how much they can eat, and am just relieved that they haven't found my stock of protein supplement yet.

We held off giving a bad review or returning the item as the packaging does say that it can take a while to persuade pre-existing rodents to leave their nice comfortable nest, which I suppose makes sense. What would you prefer to do - eat Maltesers with the burglar alarm going off or get up and outside in your PJs in late February? Anyway some weeks later and in warmer weather things have gone from bad to worse - we have seen mice and their little tell tale markers literally inches from the plugged in unit, and we have killed quite a few in a traditional trap a few feet away in the same room as this device (which is supposed to cover the whole house never mind a room).

I am pretty sure new mice are coming into the house as we can go a long time without any signs and we have baited traps that have gone empty for periods.

It all points to this product being pretty ineffectual. My advice is to buy a Little Nipper and man up.

Natural Slate Chalkboard Large
Natural Slate Chalkboard Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking product but..., 14 Mar 2012
This review is from: Natural Slate Chalkboard Large
...not the best for writing on with chalk. I kind of expected this but the finish is quite rough and makes it difficult to write small letters on it.

Having said that it does look good on the wall and I did not have any problems with the quality or delivery.

EXPO: International Expositions, 1851-2010
EXPO: International Expositions, 1851-2010
by Jackson Anna

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the balance I expected, 13 Oct 2010
Three stars may be a bit harsh and is only part of the picture with this book.

The book is full of interesting facts and sets out a lot of the early feeling and history of the Expo concept starting back in the mid 19th century. There are a also a lot of enlightening images supporting the text that otherwise may never be seen owing to the temporary nature of most expos. Where the book is a little unbalanced in my opinion is the emphasis on a lot of the earlier Expos particularly London and the various Paris expos of the late 19th century. Post war is sorely lacking. Apart from plenty on Montreal 67 and Osaka 70, some of the large recent expos like Lisbon and Hannover barely receive a cursory mention. I also felt that the culture and history themes outweighed some of the more tangible aspects I was looking for in the book such as construction and legacy on the host city.

So with my interests in mind the book did not quite deliver what I hoped, but I am sure others may reach a different conclusion.

The King's Buccaneer
The King's Buccaneer
by Raymond E. Feist

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite Feist novel, 28 July 2010
This review is from: The King's Buccaneer (Paperback)
This book works as a decent stand alone epic/adventure, but is best read after Prince of the Blood and particularly the earlier Riftwar trilogy for some context and an introduction to many of the characters.

It has all the ingredients of a good fantasy story but for me where it disappoints is a lack of engagement with most of the main characters, and after a long over-sea chase, not much exploration of Novindus which Feist introduces for the first time in this book. There seems to be a lot of travelling, spying, but not much intrigue. We also find out very little about the story's villains and the conclusion was a bit of a predictable anti-climax.

I am a big fan of Feist but all in all happy to move on to his next series.

Portuguese (Linguaphone PDQ)
Portuguese (Linguaphone PDQ)
by M. Buckby
Edition: Audio CD

1.0 out of 5 stars Misses the point, 28 July 2010
I bought this with a view to learning some essential basics for travelling, but after completing the course I was dissapointed with the content. The CD lingers on the basics, then moves onto irrelevant topics which I would describe as polite conversation or small talk. Oddly, instead of learning useful things like how to get directions and use public transport we learn the words for paper tissues, carnations, and a kilo of potatos. I am baffled as to which market this CD is aimed at, surely people studying to this degree would not use a PDQ course?

Furthermore the learning goes from too slow to too fast leaving the listener frustrated and having to do a lot of rewinding. Even the numbers are squashed onto the end of CD2 like an afterthought.

Final gripe is the speaking style which reminds me of a 1980's educational video complete with really stale jokes.

On the plus side the course helps with pronunciation (which is very different to other latin languages), otherwise I would recommend that travellers but a phrasebook instead.

The Rough Guide to Canada (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Canada (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Phil Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't have been the same holiday without it, 27 July 2010
I used this edition to visit a lot of Ontario and part of Quebec, and even 2 years + after the publication date found it to be very accurate and helpful. In nearly all cases the hotel recommendations were spot on plus sound ideas on sights to see. This goes for areas off the beaten track too. Canada is a pleasure to travel around, but without this book I would have struggled to get so far without a car.

Don't discount this old edition just yet