Profile for ChrissyM > Reviews

Content by ChrissyM

ChrissyM

Morphy Richards Flavour Savour 48784 Slow Cooker, 4.5 Litre - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards Flavour Savour 48784 Slow Cooker, 4.5 Litre - Stainless Steel
Offered by Henrich Hardware Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Buy, 7 Feb 2013
I have used the Flavour Savour for about a month now and I love it. I did a lot of research before I bought it and was almost put off by the bad reviews on here about it sticking. However, I am glad that in the end I decided to go for this one and find out for myself. This pot has five cooking modes. The first is a 15 minute sear facility, the second is a 1 ½ hour quick cook, the third is slow cook (8 -10 hours) , the fourth is medium (6-8) and the fifth is another faster cook (4-6). If you are used to an older slow cooker, I would recommend that you start with the slow 8-10 hours facility which is a nice low heat setting and more traditional.
I have not used the 1 ½ hour quick cook, I get the idea it might be quite fierce. I also waited for a week before I used the searing facility in order to let the pot season before I used it in earnest but, looking back I don’t think I should have worried. I use two tablespoons of oil when I sear in it and have not experienced any problems with sticking at all.
I have made a number of recipes now, various stews, casseroles and curries. I find for my convenience that I use the medium setting the most just because it is easy for me. With stews I do tend to thicken with cornflower towards the end as recommended in the instruction leaflet. Also hidden in there is that you can reduce cooking time by a third if you are not filling it to capacity. I have used the 4-6 hour cook once but did find that setting to be quite hot and ended up stirring it more often. With the two lower settings, I have simply paddled it once or twice including recipes with coconut milk and hardly any liquid. I have not made any puddings in it as yet. To be honest, it has been such a hit that it gets used for main meals almost all the time.
I wanted a dishwasher safe pot because I thought I would need it but, have never bothered. I have found that when I have finished cooking, I put it in soapy water for five minutes and it comes up beautifully. One thing I did buy soon after using it was a wooden ladle because, being stainless steel, it does scratch easy.
I have knocked off one star because if I could make one adjustment, it would be more freedom with cooking time settings. For example, a chilli for two could easily be cooked using the slowest lowest setting in six hours rather than eight. I also often find myself turning the cooker down to a lower setting after an hour or two and then I am stuck with a minimum of eight hours countdown time. This isn’t a huge issue at all because it is on so low that you can simply cancel and dish it up when you are ready to eat. However, to make good use of the keep warm setting that comes on at the end, I would like more control over the clock.
However, that is my only slight niggle because in every other way, I am delighted. It goes on most days and food flavour is wonderful. I have not experienced any sticking issues, it cleans so easy and it doesn’t take up loads of room.

Birds of Britain
Birds of Britain

1.0 out of 5 stars Would not download, 25 Dec 2012
This review is from: Birds of Britain (App)
This app froze during download. Despite my best efforts, it went into a loop and kept telling me to clear data via settings.. I did this but the data was clearly being held in I CLOUD. No matter what I did I could not get it to reinstall so ended up deleting it completely. This was using a KINDLE FIRE. I will have to 're purchase if I want to try again and for now....I don't have the patience to go through all that again! It is a shame, I think I would have loved it if I could have got it to work.

All The Little Graces
All The Little Graces

4.0 out of 5 stars Graces of Life, 4 Mar 2012
Eleni, Harry and Lily are all animal lovers and as so often happens on visiting a Greek island, they picked up some of the island waifs and strays which captured their hearts.
You cannot help but to champion little Margarita who, in her little way, brings together a lot of the characters in the book with some interesting twists. I so loved some of the characters within the pages, they were brought wholly alive to me so much so that I almost wanted to meet them! As I read, I laughed, cried, contemplated and also wanted to push two belligerent young men off a cliff!

This account is also a compassionate insight into many aspects of island life. It brings in some of the social and economic problems of a tourist island together with a history of some of the culture which can be difficult for outsiders to comprehend. However, there are also wonderful accounts of the colour and richness of Greek life that brought summer firmly into my mind.

If you are an animal lover and are a little reluctant to read this book (the plight of some of the animals in Greece is quite well known), this book is full of hope and does portray many of the positive changes that have been made in recent years. Yes, there are some sad bits but the author also brings a greater sense of understanding to us all.

One thing that I would point out is for me the book flowed much better as it progressed. I found myself increasingly empathising with Eleni and the sensitivity expressed within the chapters. I was almost dipping in and out to start with but, ended up avidly turning the pages.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Carolina Herrera for Men, 16 Jan 2011
My OH has used this for some time (when he can get it) and it is really nice and it a great alternative to her other brand 212. It does not seem to be available in the shops in the UK which is a real shame because it really is a lovely aftershave. It says it has lavender in it but I can't detect that. However amber and musk are listed as the other basenotes and they sum it up well. It is a very male scent so not one that I would borrow if I had left my perfume at home.
I ordered this quite late for a Christmas present and the company that supply this for Amazon guaranteed to get it to me in time for Christmas. With all the bad weather, I began to doubt it would arrive in time. However, despite the ammount of snow, it turned up a day earlier than promised.
Great product, service and price. I was pleased ~ it is just so difficult to find this product in the UK.