Profile for JohnInBlack > Reviews

Spirit Guide Gothic Lady Figurine by Anne Stokes
Spirit Guide Gothic Lady Figurine by Anne Stokes
Offered by GIFTS FOR YOUR HOME

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful gift., 17 Feb. 2014
Wonderfully crafted figurine and maintains the high quality and beauty of Anne Stokes's darkly Gothic pieces. This has to be most beautiful one I own.

Diamonds On The Water
Diamonds On The Water

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem, 17 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Diamonds On The Water (Audio CD)
Fans of contempory folk music have been spoilt this month with releases from Seth Lakeman and this wonderful album from the Oysterband. Following Ragged Kingdom was never going to be easy but this one does it and by the time the album ends you will hit repeat and listen to it again.
As with 2007's Meet You There this is a collection of lyrically and beautifully melodic folk songs with just enough "rock" moments to give it some spice, not to the same degree as the Levellers but enough none the less. It will not take many listens for this album to engage, it’s a very immediate album and set, I am sure, to be one the folk albums of the year.

Loud Like Love
Loud Like Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Quality, 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Loud Like Love (Audio CD)
Some albums reek of quality from the second they start right through to its closing chords.
Loud Like Love is one of them. Having a large metal collection, Placebo are fairly easy listening for me. I have liked them since I first heard the Bitter End but this album surpasses anything I have heard from the band.
I have no hesitation in giving this the full 5 stars.

Tragic Illusion 25 (The Rarities)
Tragic Illusion 25 (The Rarities)

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but dis-jointed, 8 Jan. 2014
An interesting offering from Paradise Lost, collecting together bonus tracks, covers and some re-workings. The album is disjointed but that is understandable. This album does show the direction that band has been moving in for the most recent albums and this is a good album for collectors. If nothing else, the superb cover of Missing is well worth the price of the album.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 10, 2014 5:55 PM GMT

Symphonies Of The Night
Symphonies Of The Night

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Symphonies Of The Night (Audio CD)
This is no bad album but..., as one of the previous reviews states, there is something lacking. The last album, Meredead, exceeded all my expections and maybe I expected too much this time. The album could probably do with shedding two tracks and making it a bit more focused. For all that though this is a good listen but I feel that Liv's vocals are not what they were in her Theatre Of Tragedy days. I wonder where there is to go for Leaves Eyes without them becoming predictable.
Not the follow up I was hoping for.

Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Splinter (Songs From A Broken Mind)
Offered by Assai-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic, 16 Oct. 2013
In my opinion Gary Numan has never made a bad album, although some have had moments that are none to clever, especially on Outland and Machine + Soul.
Gary resurrected his career with the superb Sacrifice album that saw him return to a darker, more sinister sound that coupled his electronic genius with brooding industrial sounds. Since then each album has been an absolute joy and Splinter is no exception. This one though is less "in your face" than Pure and Jagged. It is more a mix of his modern sound while recapturing the cold fragility of Telekon and the Pleasure Principle. It is for that reason I give this album the full 5 star review. It is full of texture and layers, up-tempo "stompers" and beautifully reflective numbers that together produces an album that could be defined a career classic.

Darkest White
Darkest White

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistently Inconsistent, 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Darkest White (Audio CD)
Like previous Tristania albums this one is by no means instant and on the first 3 listens I wasn't even sure I liked the album. Then on the fourth listen it hit home and I found myself enjoying the album, even the opening track Numbers, which for me is the weakest song.
The album opener should have been the title track Darkest White which is a classic and I think the inclusion of the bonus track "Cathedral" does the album no favours.
Like all good albums the closing track is excellent and leaves one looking forward to hearing the album again.
I have followed Tristania since Widows Weeds and they have always been inconsistent, capable of hitting great highs but occasionally recording a duff song. What they are though is interesting and demanding of attention, certainly never dull and that is why I will continue to follow them.
A solid 4 star review for a good piece of gothic metal.

Perils Of The Deep Blue
Perils Of The Deep Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Back On Form, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Perils Of The Deep Blue (Audio CD)
Sometimes one really needs to listen to an album a good few times before making an objective summary, especially with albums such as this where there are many layers and a lot going on within the music.
The best work of Morten Veland has never been instantly accessible; the first two albums by both Tristania and Sirenia bare this out. The last Sirenia album, The Enigma of Life was good but I have always felt Sirenia are better than good and when on form can produce some classic Gothic/symphonic metal to rival the best of Nightwish etc.

I think Perils Of The Deep Blue comes very close to being the best so far delivered by Sirenia. An album that although does not veer from its Gothic metal roots very much has enough variety to keep it interesting. A better blend of vocals is a big plus and there is some mean bass work which is not often a feature of this type of music. The orchestral and choral samples are superb and give the album its grand anthemic moments and provided depth and texture to a fine array of songs.
All in all, a very good album.

The Journey
The Journey
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Country, 13 May 2013
This review is from: The Journey (Audio CD)
I wanted to make sure I didn't rush into reviewing this album as Big Country have been such an important band to me, I wanted to fully digest the album first.
I had my doubts about this latest incarnation of Big Country as the 3 piece revival a few years back that to be honest sounded awful. However, after seeing the 5 piece line-up live with Jamie Watson and Mike Peters I was very impressed. The news that Tony Butler had left was a surprise but Derek Forbes is a very competent replacement. The big question though was could a Big Country with only 2 original members left deliver a new album that had the intrinsic sound and atmosphere of the original band but be modern enough not to sound like a tribute act? The answer for me is an overwhelming "yes". This album is pure quality from start to finish with 12 wonderful songs that have Big Country stamped firmly right through them. I would go so far as to say that this offering can stand up against The Crossing and The Seer and is a far stronger album than their last one with Stuart which is not bad but sounds like a band that has run out of ideas.
I will not get into individual songs here only to say this album has something for all Big Country fans to enthuse over, the big anthemic sounds, the intricate stirring guitars, the hope and passion of a band revelling in the beauty of music.
This album is a must for those of us who thought Big Country were dead when the late, great Stuart Adamson died.

Chronicles
Chronicles
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Chronicles (Audio CD)
My heading says it all, this is first album of dramtic trailer music I have owned and I love it. This feels like the "heavy metal" of classical symphonic music and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6