ARRAY(0xa484b0a8)

Profile for fairdes > Reviews

Content by fairdes

fairdes "fairdes" (Brisbane, Australia)

Mid Air [VINYL]
Mid Air [VINYL]
Price: 15.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Understated beauty, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: Mid Air [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'll start by stating that I've always loved The Blue Nile. So this album was always likely to hit the right notes for me. The thing is, apart from Paul Buchanan's voice and the lyrics, Mid Air is quite a distance from what is a typical Blue Nile album. Where normally you would expect an orchestra of strings to kick in, instead there is only piano and a barely audible Buchanan. For me, this works brilliantly well. There is a world-weariness in his voice but there is also warmth and beauty.

This is an album best-listened to in one sitting even though many of the songs have a "samey" quality about them. For me this isn't an issue as it fits in with the stylistic philosophy of the album. There aren't any songs that scream "hit" but again I don't see that as a problem. It's a proper album and really needs to be listened to as a collective whole. I'd recommend putting on some good headphones and retreating to a space where you wont' be distracted by the noise of the world.

Some might find the music depressing; I find it incredibly uplifting. It's one of my favourite albums of the year and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Magnetic North
Magnetic North
Price: 10.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Still listening..., 1 Dec 2011
This review is from: Magnetic North (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Aqualung since the release of their single Brighter Than Sunshine. None of their albums are what you'd call ground-breaking or cutting edge. Their style is very much in the easy-listening category. That's not to say their music is dull or lacks emotional impact. Far from it. Aqualung know their way around a sweet melody and good lyrics. For me, they are one of the best bands going around and they are absolutely brilliant at what they do, i.e. writing catchy, hook-laden and melodic music.

As for this album, it is sheer quality from beginning to end. There is not a weak song to be found, and there is a consistent theme that ties the entire album together, thus making it a 'proper' album that you'll want to listen to in its entirety. I've loved all of Aqualung's albums, but for some reason it's this album that I keep wanting to play over and over.

It defies logic that Aqualung does not get played on commercial radio or sells loads of records as this album deserves to. But then again, maybe it's not surprising given what radio programmers deem to be good music. Aqualung's lack of commercial success is similar to that of The Blue Nile, another band I've long admired but also don't seem to get the sales their quality deserves. Interestingly, Paul Buchanan from The Blue Nile, makes a guest appearance on this album as well as Memory Man.

Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era
Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era
Price: 5.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Facts & Figures - Who Would Have Thought It Was Possible!, 1 Nov 2010
As a rule, I'm not a huge fan of facts and figures. Anything with lots of numbers and statistics generally bore me to tears. However, this book manages to be that rare beast; one that provides hard facts and figures, but also manages to be both interesting and entertaining at the same time.

If you've ever tried to debate that the 'bigger' clubs are more predetermined to succeed because of the vast amount of money spent on their players, this book provides conclusive evidence to support your argument. It also shows which managers have underachieved and overachieved given the money at their disposal. But the most incredible part of this book is how they have managed to convert the money spent on players from the past into current monetary figures. Some people have far too much time on their hands!

If you have ever read the book Soccernomics by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski (also available from Amazon and highly recommended), you will love this. And that is the best compliment I can pay it.

Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Offered by MasterDVD
Price: 5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Boi Brilliance!, 9 July 2010
With most great albums, it usually takes several listens before its quality becomes clear. However after one spin the quality reveals itself from the get go. More importantly, you know that the album is going to get better with each and every listen. And it does...

The first half of the album consists of the more upbeat funky numbers, while the second half takes a more down-tempo route. The production is top-notch and there is just so much going on with layers upon layers of brilliant and wonderful sound. The music is simply superb!

I always (unfairly) thought Andre was the more talented half of Outkast. This album emphatically demonstrates just how wrong you can be. I would go as far to say that this up there with Prince at his most creative peak. If you like good music, not necessarily quality hip-hop, then this album is up there with one of the better albums you will hear this year. Well worth investing the time and money to get to know it.

24: Season Seven DVD Collection [DVD]
24: Season Seven DVD Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kiefer Sutherland
Price: 11.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously addictive!, 14 Jun 2009
I will start by saying I'm a massive fan, having watched every season of 24. However, after the extended break following the end of Season 6, I found myself a little uncertain as to whether I was interested in the new series. The pre-season episode, Redemption, was good without being brilliant so it would be fair to say I had my doubts about the show. But as each episode of Season 7 ticked over, and mind-blowing subplots emerged, I found myself absolutely hooked again. Some reviewers have criticised the lack of believability in this series. I'm sure there are plenty of holes if you want to look for them, but for me it comes down to the following crucial elements:

1. Entertainment value
Season 7 never lets up from the get-go. It literally leaves you breathless at the end of each hour, yet desperately anxious for the next episode.

2. Acting quality
Every character is played by a strong actor and they deliver consistently. I've never seen or heard of most of the new actors, but they are outstanding in their roles. I won't ruin the story for others but there is only one person I wasn't looking forward to seeing again but they were at least bearable.

3. Emotional response
This is the first series since Season 2 when I have felt such a range of emotions. Rarely do you feel anything other than shock when main characters bite the dust. However, Season 7 has some genuine tear-inducing moments. This is due to the quality of actors and of course the great script. Which leads me to -

4. Script quality
The writers have delivered a quality script for Season 7. There are some brilliant one-liners and some quality exchanges.

All in all, one of the best 24 seasons ever. Arguably as good as Season 2.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 5:47 PM GMT

Dream On
Dream On

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting edge pop, 29 Jan 2009
This review is from: Dream On (Audio CD)
Another brilliant piece of cutting edge electronic pop from Robyn from an equally outstanding album. It's hard to imagine many people having not heard of her or the many fantastic tracks already lifted from that album. Anyway, each of the remixes on the CD single provide an interesting slant on the original version. It's typically well-produced and places Robyn as one of the more original dance-pop-electronic artists going around. Well worth the admission price!

808s & Heartbreak [Digipack]
808s & Heartbreak [Digipack]
Price: 5.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Music - Who Cares What Genre, 3 Dec 2008
It's funny to read the negative reviews of 808s & Heartbreak based on the fact that Kanye has neglected his hop-hop/rap roots. For those short-sighted people, they are missing out on hearing what I believe to be one of the albums of the year.

I've never bought a Kanye album before, even though I have picked up the various singles released from all his albums. So I kinda liked him, but never really committed to him by taking the ultimate plunge. On hearing Love Lockdown, I was completely blown away. The contrast between the sparse, quiet moments of the track and the bits where the explosion of drums kick in and Kanye gets all emotional is pure musical brilliance! And that's the point. It shouldn't matter what genre it is - the quality of the music is the crucial factor. And I think it's fair to say that this is an album of high quality. But you have to be willing to LISTEN with your eyes and ears wide open to truly appreciate it.

Dynasty: Fifty Years of Shankly's Liverpool
Dynasty: Fifty Years of Shankly's Liverpool
by Paul Tomkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading For All Kopites!, 1 Oct 2008
For those people who regularly visit the official Liverpool website, you will no doubt be aware of Paul Tomkins' excellent contributions to this site. He can make the most painful loss seem like a blessing and provides much-needed perspective when emotions are a little raw. His 'half-full glass' attitude has numbed a lot of the hurt that occasionally comes from supporting Liverpool.

Being a Liverpool fan of over 20 years, I really had no idea of the history of the club and it's early success. I knew they were one of the biggest and most popular clubs in the world, but I was pathetically ignorant of Liverpool's history. I knew of their status as the most successful British club of all time with more European Cups and League titles than any other. Unfortunately, the start of my support for the club seemed to coincide with their gradual decline (relatively speaking of course!) and the rise and rise of Manchester United and to a lesser degree Arsenal and Chelsea.

Which brings me to Paul Tomkins' book Dynasty and it's focus on the last 50 years of LFC. It truly is an education - and an entertaining one at that! Tomkins has a gift for providing a perspective and analysis that few football commentators can manage. The book attempts to judge the success and/or failings of each Liverpool manager by comparing the football and financial landscape that they operated under. By taking this approach, it gives Tomkins an objective platform from which to stake his claims.

As a Liverpool fan, I literally could not put the book down. It is simply that good. It is without doubt the best book that I have read on the Reds, and I would highly recommend that any person who follows LFC get their hands on it. It is worth every penny and/or cent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2008 9:24 PM GMT

Postcards
Postcards
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 2.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Upbeat pop music, 3 Aug 2008
This review is from: Postcards (Audio CD)
Sparkadia's album Postcards is an impressive debut album from the Sydney based band. The highlights include the excellent Jealousy, Morning Light and Too Much To Do, although to be fair, most of the songs are good. The music has a retro 80's alt-pop sound, with catchy melodies and some delightful harmonies. At times they remind me of Prefab Sprout and Aztec Camera, and a little of Belle and Sebastian with their love of a sweet melody.

The lead vocalist Alex Burnett has an interesting voice which tends to lean towards the non-mainstream vocal style of the bands mentioned above. It is a beautiful voice, but not in a radio-friendly way.

One last thing, the video to the song Jealousy is brilliant and well worth heading to YouTube to catch a glimpse.

Tonight I Have to Leave It [7" VINYL]
Tonight I Have to Leave It [7" VINYL]
Offered by 5records
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Shout Out Louds Do The Cure..., 22 July 2008
The last Shout Out Louds album (Howl Howl Gaff Gaff) had a very contemporary rock feel that sounded a little like early Strokes. The songs were beat-driven with a strong guitar flavour and brilliant melodies. Tonight I Have To Leave It and much of the new album is heavily influenced by an 80s sound, and this single is very much The Cure's 'In Between Days' little brother. But that shouldn't detract from the song as it is still brilliant. Definitely worth purchasing, but would also seriously recommend buying the album Our Ills Wills.