Profile for Richard Edwards > Reviews

Fitter, Further, Faster: Get fit for sportives and road riding
by Rebecca Charlton
Price: 16.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful Sportive Training Guide, 18 Jun 2013
This book is aimed at anyone who is new to Sportives, overall though, its focus is on training for a lengthy sportive which requires a good deal of training and preplanning. I myself have done a number of sportives, but bought this book to help as I was increasing my mileage significantly compared to what I've done before.

There is a good deal of advice at the beginning of the book which should already be known by most Cyclists, aside from perhaps complete beginners. Things like wearing proper clothing, making sure your bike fits etc.

What I found most useful were the stretching exercises which are cycling specific and help with core strength, along with the training plans which they refer to as being a 'menu'. That was quite good because it means if you have commitments that come up and interfere with your training, you can simply choose to do something shorter, which can be just as beneficial. I liked this because it just makes sense. Trying to stick to a rigid training plan is often difficult when you have other things going on and only makes you feel frustrated about it if you miss or have to cut something short.

Nutrition is obviously massively important and the book does a good job of covering how to handle eating and hydration on and off the bike, both during training and the event itself. Don't expect detailed diet plans of everything you should be eating, but then thats a whole other subject and should be self-explanatory.

The small tips and advice from Pros, Team managers etc are all very useful and current so make a worthwhile addition. When you see some of those names, its also quite reassuring that you know you are getting good advice.

The one area I felt the book didn't cover so much was the actual event you have been training for, it was only a few pages. Given that its aimed at people unlikely to have taken part in a major sportive, I expected it to cover a bit more about things like group etiquette, hand signals, working together etc. While it had some brief sentences from people who had finished major sportives, it would have been good to hear a bit more depth about their experiences. I respect the fact though that the book is largely titled getting fit for Sportives, so obviously isn't the main focus.

So in summary, I've found it useful for training and picked up a few things I hadn't thought of before.

Lekue Gourmet Industrial Ice Cube Tray, Blue, Blue
Lekue Gourmet Industrial Ice Cube Tray, Blue, Blue
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, 19 Dec 2012
It's an ice cube tray, there isn't too much that can be said about it!

However, it works really well, the soft plastic makes getting ice cubes out very simple and after over a year of use, I've had no issues with durability.

XSories Big U-SHOT Extension Arm for Camera - Blue
XSories Big U-SHOT Extension Arm for Camera - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great with a GoPro for self filming, 19 Dec 2012
I bought this to use with a GoPro when snowboarding and I've been very pleased with it.
To attach a GoPro, you simply use the tripod mount which can be screwed into the end of the U-Shot.
Holding it at arms length, I'm able to fully capture myself and the board, which I think is the benefit over the smaller U-Shot.

The sections are extended and locked with a twist action which works very well and hasn't come loose while in use.
Unextended, it can be just about fit sticking out a large cargo pocket on a pair of snowboard pants.

There are only two weaknesses I feel the product has.
The first is the handstrap, its quite thin and is already starting to come apart at the main stitch. Its not something super necessary, but its clear it won't last too much longer.

The second is the plastic locking ball mount at the top of the U-Shot. I've had no problems with it, but I would think that it is perhaps something which wouldn't stand up to too much abuse over time.

I certainly recommend this, it is perhaps more expensive than DIY options, but it works very well.

Marware C.E.O. Hybrid Case for iPad 2, iPad 3 & iPad 4 - Carbon Fiber
Marware C.E.O. Hybrid Case for iPad 2, iPad 3 & iPad 4 - Carbon Fiber
Offered by MP3 Accessories
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case with great improvements over the previous model, 19 Dec 2012
I had the original Marware C.E.O. Hybrid for iPad 2 which I used for a good 16 months and it was a great case. I needed a case for the iPad 4th generation, so naturally this new compatible version was my first choice.
Although aside from the size difference of the new iPad, its largely the same case, however there are some significant improvements this has over the model for the iPad 2, which are:

- The elasticated strap which allows you to secure it when using it with the handstrap. This was an issue on the old model because when using it with the handstrap, it would flap about, so didn't work so well.
- The ridges inside the cover used for putting the iPad into different upright viewing angles have been made deeper with a recess, so it keeps it held in place far better. On the old model, this was sometimes an issue when using it on something like a tray table on an aeroplane where it would fall down when you touched the screen. This new design eliminates that problem.
- The case has two tabs at the top and bottom which you can use to fully close the case. On the previous model, these required quite a bit of force to close, but they have now made it so they fit a lot easier.

Its both a simple and professional looking case that works very well.
It protects the iPad, doesn't add too much bulk and retains features like the sleep/wake function seen on Apple's own covers.

With the improvements they've made since the previous model, I'm happy to full recommend it.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and useful, but not well made., 20 Aug 2011
In much to the same vain of other positive reviews, which is why I chose this reflector, it's useful at what it does at a fraction of the price of some of the bigger name brands.

The big let down for me is that it's clearly not been manufactured or checked to a particularly high standard.

On the white part of the reflector cover there are purple coloured marks all the way round the edge and one big mark towards the middle, I can only assume these are a poor manufacturing problem.

The diffuser part, which you get when you completely remove the cover also has a few faint marks.

As it's a cheap item, I didn't think it was worth returning to Amazon, as it shouldn't have lost any of it's actual function.

I suppose you get what you pay for though and one from a respected brand is likely to have a quality control department.

Philips HF3463 Wake-Up Light With Radio Alarm
Philips HF3463 Wake-Up Light With Radio Alarm
Price: 98.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be a lot better, 21 July 2009
I don't think I can recommend this product.

If you can look past the fact that the only one of the sounds which is worth waking up to is the 'sea', as all the others are terrible. The fact that it's quite plasticy and the clock display isn't easy to read and it's expensive for what it is. It actually works quite well and does wake me up, especially early in the morning in winter at a nice slow pace, rather than the jarring of an alarm going off.

The problem with it is that it doesn't always work.
After a few months of use, it developed an issue where the light wouldn't come on in the morning, and it also wouldn't respond to any of the light controls. I figured the bulb must have died, so went to replace it, but discovered it was fine. So I switched the unit back on at the mains and it was fine.

So basically what happens is that it works for a few days, then you have to switch it off at the mains and then back on again whenever the light doesn't come on. I can only think that this must be something to do with some small circuit board that obviously controls it. Clearly flawed and I've noticed other people mention it in their review. I've had it over a year now and never took it back, so I need to get onto Philips really to see if I can have it replaced.

Silverlit PicooZ MX1 Extreme Micro Helicopter
Silverlit PicooZ MX1 Extreme Micro Helicopter

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, but there are better ones out there., 29 Dec 2008
I got one of these for Xmas as a present and it's a great deal of fun.

The only downside I had with it is that a friend got the Sky Challanger Pack which is made up of two of the normal size (larger) Piccoz helicopters. I found that they were easier to fly, more stable and seemed to respond better to the controls.

So for that reason, I'm not going to give the micro top marks and I would recommended getting one of the larger Silverlit's instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2010 9:41 PM BST

Logitech Harmony 525 Advanced Universal Remote Control (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good remote, but it could be improved., 3 Aug 2008
Mine recently broke, so I'm in the market for a new one, but in two mines as to whether to get the same one again.

I dropped it on the floor (carpeted) and the LCD no longer functioned, making it pretty useless.

It's defiantly not as robust as it could be. I'd noticed that the motion sensing that turns the backlight on when you pick it up and off when its doing nothing, seemed to fail not long after I bought it. Meaning if it doesn't switch itself off, it drains the batteries fast.

It was mostly problem free otherwise, the only issue I personally had was that when switching on my television (Samsung) it wouldn't always go to the correct input channel, which meant doing it manually on the remote.

Skullcandy TI White DJ Style 3.5mm Stereo Headphones SC-TI (White)
Skullcandy TI White DJ Style 3.5mm Stereo Headphones SC-TI (White)
Offered by BlueBarrelSurf
Price: 59.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but sounds rubbish., 31 Mar 2007
Bought a set of these a few months back because I really liked the look of them.

I was very dissapointed in them. The sound quality is dire and has no bass to the sound... odd when you consider that most headphones have too much bass.

Rather than a well constructed set of headphones on your ears, it feels like you have a set of cheap travel speakers strapped to your head.

Sennheiser CX300 Stereo Earphones (White)
Sennheiser CX300 Stereo Earphones (White)

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice sound, but a few niggles, 30 Mar 2007
I've been really impressed with the sound quality on these earbuds. You also get a nice bit of bass if they are properly positioned in your ear canal.

Only downsides are:

- They cut out a lot of background noise - Which is either good or bad, depending on the situation you are in.

- The cable is made of quite a tacky material which clings. Unlike regular headphone cable it sometimes sort of sticks and ends up pulling one of them out of your ear.

- They amplify all the sounds your body makes, from breathing, to drinking, your heartbeat and if you are walking you hear your footsteps and the sound of the cable moving against your body.

In summary, they are a good buy, but some people may not like to use them while moving.