Profile for L. Rumbold > Reviews

Content by L. Rumbold

L. Rumbold

Gold Ballerina Bling Snoozies Large (UK 6 - 7) - Sherpa Fleece Slippers Cosy Foot Coverings
Offered by ShopCuscus

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, warm soft slippers, 11 Dec. 2014
I bought the large (size 6-7): they're true to size (for me) and very comfortable and warm. The soles grip well on laminate and lino floors too. They are very sparkly but surprisingly robust.

They also wash very well on a delicates cycle.

Would I buy more? Definitely.

4 PACK Replacement Medium Earphone Ear Gel Tips For Sony MDR CX EX Sennheiser CX IE Sharp Panasonic HJE Skullcandy ezGears JVC Phillips Creative Sony Ericsson Denon Monster Griffin JBL Headphones iPod iPad in ear Earbuds - (Black)
Offered by Gadget Zoo

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent replacement - not bad for the price., 10 May 2013
Just as described, really - a pack of medium earphone tips. I bought them to replace the ones on my Panasonic ear buds, and they fitted onto the ear buds brilliantly. The plastic is nice and soft and non-irritating.

My one quibble is that these seem slightly smaller than the medium ones I replaced, but this doesn't adversely affect fit, feel or sound quality.

Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)
Dresden: A Survivor's Story (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, but powerful, 30 Mar. 2013
Anyone interested in the Second World War should read this. It's a short but intensely powerful and personal account of the author's survival of the Dresden bombings, and the horrors found afterwards.

You can almost hear the author telling his story, and even his spare descriptions don't reduce the vivid images brought to mind.

Well worth reading.

Bye! Must Fly!
Bye! Must Fly!

4.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining mystery with a difference, 16 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Bye! Must Fly! (Kindle Edition)
Although I'm not ex-v-force, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.

The author brings the period - and the Vulcan - vividly to life. The characters are also very well drawn, and the murder mystery itself (which I won't spoil) is excellently plotted.

My one quibble is with a few typos throughout the book - but it's a testament to the strength of the story that these didn't affect my enjoyment of it.

Marware Anti-Scratch Screen Protector 2-Pack With Cleaning Cloth for Kindle Fire (2nd Generation - 2012 release)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says, 28 Jan. 2013
A good screen protector - I haven't noticed any change in either screen clarity or sensitivity since application.

As usual with these things, it's vital to make sure your Kindle screen is as clean as possible before applying the protector. The included cloth pretty much does the job. The included applicator made getting bubbles out a lot easier as well. To be honest, though, what you need to apply any screen protector well is patience!

LE MANS a novel (RUTHLESS TO WIN)
LE MANS a novel (RUTHLESS TO WIN)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read - so close to perfect, 28 Jan. 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - in fact, I started reading it again straight after I'd finished it, which very rarely happens with a novel! Mallory is a very engaging heroine, and the cast of supporting characters were interesting.

I do have a few quibbles. Firstly, although very well plotted and plausibly drawn, I'm too much of a cynic to properly believe in what seems a fairytale change in fortunes for Mallory (much as I liked her and wanted her to succeed!): it didn't stop me enjoying the story, but I did find myself considering what would happen in reality. Secondly, I'm not sure if it was the e-book formatting or not, but there were several places where it seemed the author made huge jumps forward in time without breaking the text; it made things a little confusing.

I was also a bit taken aback to find the last quarter of this e-book is devoted to this publisher's other titles: I don't mind a chapter or so of another unrelated work at the end, or a chapter of a follow-up, but this was excessive.

Overall, though, I'd recommend it.

Verso Trends Scholar, Black/White  [will only fit Kindle Fire (2nd Generation)]
Verso Trends Scholar, Black/White [will only fit Kindle Fire (2nd Generation)]

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and practical cover, so close to being perfect, 28 Jan. 2013
This cover is quite quirky without being in-your-face. I also like the fact that at first glance, this doesn't broadcast itself as being an electronic device - in fact, a few of my friends have mistaken it for an actual notebook! That was a big plus point for me, as I don't like to advertise my gadgets (so to speak!).

The cover feels solid and is well made. The blue-lined interior is also soft and comfortable to hold. The elastic straps keep my Kindle very firmly in place, and give me easy access to the charging port and on/off button.

My only quibble is that this really needs something to keep it closed (a hidden popper, or an elastic strap) to properly protect a Kindle: it's fine for light duties (sticking in a bag with other things to keep it closed, and away from sharp things) but I wouldn't trust it in extremis.

F1 Racing Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition)
F1 Racing Magazine (Kindle Tablet Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars Good magazine, but hard to read on a 7" screen, 30 Dec. 2012
I was expecting this app to be something more than just a seemingly PDF'd version of the magazine. Since it is, it's challenging to read on the screen of my Kindle Fire.

Not sure if it's down to my Kindle or the app, but zooming is erratic and the app often freezes, refuses to zoom or zooms too much or changes pages when I don't want it to. Shame as I enjoy the magazine itself! For the money, I'd stick to paper.