ARRAY(0xa7de3e94)

Profile for JoWi > Reviews

Content by JoWi

JoWi

SanDisk SDSDX-032G-X46 32GB Extreme 45MB/s Class 10 SDHC Memory Card (Packaging Varies)
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my EOS, 2 Feb 2013
A second card to give me more video options alongside the smaller and slower card of the same make that came with my camera. Does what it says on the tin.

JavaScript and HTML5 Now
JavaScript and HTML5 Now
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as expected, 2 Feb 2013
Nothing here I found enlightening or useful for web development, not the tutorial I expected it to be. Not sure why it has a price tag at all.

Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery for Canon LP-E8 Battery
Duracell Replacement Digital Camera Battery for Canon LP-E8 Battery
Price: 14.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery, 2 Feb 2013
No problems with using this battery in my Canon EOS. I bought it as a spare but the whole performance so far is on a par with the original canon one and at a quarter of the price. If it lasts as long as the canon one is yet to be seen, but so far I can't fault it.

Lenovo Ideapad S206 11.6 inch laptop - Grey (AMD Dual Core E2-1800 1.7GHz, 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little netbook, 2 Feb 2013
UPDATE: After 6 months. The clacky touchpad buttons continue to bug. Their design being one sheet of plastic with a cut to separate the buttons, means that the sensitivity of the buttons are an issue. Often pressing the left button behaves like the right button etc. Also, after 6 months, my fan broke and the netbook now rattles. I removed most of my work onto my big laptop, but not all, only what was current, thinking it is just a potential overheating problem and if I turn it on only for a short time it would be ok. I have been onto it a few times and retrieved more work, but some short stories I was working on are still on the hard drrive and now the computer won't even start being completely dead. It is under warranty, but that is in UK and I am in Spain. I thought being an IBM the hardware would be good quality and the support available better than any, unfortunately neither is the case with the netbook ideapads. JW.

I bought this to replace my trusty ASUS EEPC which was stolen and it shares most of the good things I liked about that. At the same time, the extra memory and fast processor make the Lenovo much more comfortable with the Windows 7 OS. This is the full Home version of Windows as well and not the Starter version that came with the ASUS. .

The Lenovo is solidly built and sleek looking and the full-size keyboard robust and nice to use. One strange thing is the function keys along the top of the keyboard. As is usual these keys have a dual function, the secondary hardware control functions traditionally accessed by use of the Fn key, but here the priority of the keys have been swapped over. This is strange because to access the thesaurus in my word processor for example now needs three keys, Fn + CTRL+F7 while I can more easily adjust the lesser used wifi status or screen brightness just by pressing the function key. While this swap-over can be reversed in the bios setting, the label on the function keys cannot and the F1 to F12 labels are printed in dark brown on red and not easily visible, I have to squint over my glasses to see which key I need to press when working in my apps. A bit of a pain.

Another slight grievance is the mouse buttons on the touchpad being just a bit clacky, possessing a rather loud click and needing a good hard press which often moves the cursor in the process, but no biggy.

There is a quick start feature for internet without loading Windows but I haven't used this yet, Windows starts quickly enough for me.

Overall a very capable machine and extremely good value for money.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Kool Kindle, 10 Jun 2011
Kindle is great! I love it. The hardest thing to do is trust that the books are out there and will still be there next month, and actually read one book at a time. Instead, I downloaded 22 mainly free titles and am reading at least six at once, classics I always wanted to read. Perhaps this will settle down when the novelty wears off. Yet he novelty aspect is definately a big part of the buzz, with one-click purchase and instant download to your kindle. The only gripe(let) that I may have, if I were pushed, would be the placement of the page-turning buttons, picking it up, holding it, putting it down, always I inadvertantly turn a page. Still.
Not for internet browsing though a broswer of sorts in included, and not for music though the speakers are excellent, perhaps if these experimental aspects are improved features in the future it may be a consideration, but for now just read those books and enjoy.