Profile for Lesley H > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Six Years Inside the Mafias: how I worked my way through college: a true story
Six Years Inside the Mafias: how I worked my way through college: a true story

5.0 out of 5 stars A very disturbing story, 18 Dec. 2015
Well they say that truth is stranger than fiction, and this is certainly the case with regard to this book; whilst reading it I felt quite incredulous at times that the events relayed by the author did infact happen. It's a shocking tale and a real eye-opener. The story of Yari Stern is one that will stay with you long after you have finished reading the book. What's more the book is also exceedingly well written; descriptions of places and events are evocative and moving.

If you like true crime stories and/or biographies then I'm confident that this disturbing tale from Jeffry Weiss will not disappoint.

Never meant to be
Never meant to be

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and innovative, 6 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Never meant to be (Kindle Edition)
It's rare that you come across a love story that is truly original. However, Yarro Rai has managed to produce just this; a romantic tale that is both fresh and innovative. I found the concept of the story really fascinating, and I was drawn into the book from the very first page. What's more, the story is very nicely written. The prose is thoughtful and imaginative and the characters have real depth and feeling.

If, like me, you are a fan of romantic fiction but are tired of the same old formulas then I would strongly suggest that you give this book a try. I suspect that this new author has a very bright and lucrative future ahead of them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 31, 2016 10:39 PM BST

Iron Bloom (Legend of the Iron Flower Book 1)
Iron Bloom (Legend of the Iron Flower Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 3 Dec. 2015
I’m quite a fan of fantasy fiction and this book had me gripped from the opening few chapters. The action is fast paced, gory and intense and the main character, Rose, although still very young has the heart of a true warrior. I liked that Rose was fearlessly strong yet still developed a warm romantic relationship with her lover, Ethan.

If you enjoy fantasy fiction then I’m sure that this book won’t disappoint; although I would say that the book is more suited to older teenagers as it can be quite violent and bloody in places. The book is well written, the characters well developed and definitely well worth a read.

Live It NOT Diet!: Eat More Not Less. Lose Fat Not Weight.
Live It NOT Diet!: Eat More Not Less. Lose Fat Not Weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Radical and it works!, 27 Nov. 2015
I really liked this author's other book; 'Eat Meat and Stop Jogging' so I was keen to find out more. This book continues where the other one left off and elaborates further on why traditional diets simply don't work. I love the author's down to earth, common sense approach to diet and exercise. It is so refreshing to find a completely different take on weight loss and fitness; personally I find that everything Mike Sheridan says makes perfect sense.

If you've tried every diet going with little or no success then I would most definitely recommend this book and indeed the other books by this author. His approach is radical and his thinking completely 'outside the box' but his advice allows you to achieve the results you've always dreamed of.

Your Perfect Steak: Signature Steaks by You
Your Perfect Steak: Signature Steaks by You

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal reading for steak aficionados, 24 Nov. 2015
I was really surprised to find a whole book devoted to cooking the perfect steak. To be honest I didn't really imagine that there could be so many factors to take into consideration. However, the author demonstrates that cooking steak is actually quite an art form, and he shows in this well written and beautifully illustrated book just how to master the process.

Although not a huge steak lover myself I found the book interesting to read, and the finer details of producing the perfect steak quite fascinating. If you enjoy cooking at a high level and are somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to preparing, cooking and presenting your steak then this book would be ideal.

Children of War (The Ascended Book 1)
Children of War (The Ascended Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant story, 15 Nov. 2015
I'm quite a fan of fantasy fiction so this book looked like just my sort of read. From the outset I found myself drawn into the magical and mystical world that the author describes so beautifully, and I really liked the main characters (they have depth and personality). It's a brilliant story; well crafted with a consistent pace that really keeps you hooked.

I was happy to see that this is the first in a series of books so there is more to come. If you like fantasy fiction then I'm confident that you will appreciate all that this new, young author has to offer.

Mandala Coloring Book: Coloring Books for Adults : Stress Relieving Patterns: Volume 20
by Tanakorn Suwannawat

4.0 out of 5 stars Very theraputic, 12 Nov. 2015
The book arrived quickly and when I opened it I couldn't wait to get started. There are lots of different designs to get your teeth into, and I must admit I immediately found colouring very therapeutic. The book is printed on nice quality, bright white paper, and I would definitely recommend it to all adults and older children who enjoy creative pursuits.

All in all the book is nicely presented with some lovely patterns and is a great stress busting exercise.

Levant Fever: True stories from Syria's underground
Levant Fever: True stories from Syria's underground

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 9 Nov. 2015
I found myself both moved and enthralled by this very well written tale of imprisonment and abuse in Assad’s Syria. The author tells his story in explicit and often brutal detail and the reader cannot fail to be affected by the trials and tribulations that Wajdy Mustafa underwent during fourteen long years of imprisonment.

Mustafa uses language that is delicate yet unflinching and I felt instantly drawn into his story; it’s a difficult book to put down. If you enjoy autobiographical accounts that demonstrate the true resilience of the human spirit then I’m sure that you will fall instantly in love with this book. It’s certainly not for the faint hearted, but it is a wonderfully uplifting tale of courage and stamina. I would highly recommend it.

The Boy Who Walked A Way
The Boy Who Walked A Way

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative and imaginative., 3 Nov. 2015
I don't often read fantasy fiction but I do like science fiction, and to me this seemed liked an amalgamation between the two. Written primarily I think for older children and young adults, I found the book to be very imaginative with a strong and profound message that would appeal to both children and adults alike.

The main themes of the novel are self-discovery, faith and personal mastery; all are complex and deep issues but are explored articulately and concisely by Ms James thus making them accessible to the younger generation. I really enjoyed the characters, especially the main protagonist, Jal, and I found myself drawn into the magical and mystical world that he inhabits.

Definitely worth a look if you enjoy well written, creative fiction with strong spiritual and moral undertones.

The Road to Becoming a Survivor
The Road to Becoming a Survivor

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching and frank account, 1 Nov. 2015
I really enjoy reading stories of triumph over adversity and this book was no exception. Written in a friendly, conversational style, I found myself immediately warming to the author and felt very touched by her braveness and candidness in writing her autobiography.

The story is sad and very tragic but the author takes a positive approach to her problems; seeing herself not as a victim but as a survivor which I found very refreshing. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys open and honest autobiographies. I feel that this book would be particularly of benefit to anyone who has themselves suffered cruelty and sexual abuse, if only so that they know they are not alone and can move on successfully from whatever trials and tribulations life throws at them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20