Profile for A. S. Robins > Reviews

Content by A. S. Robins

A. S. Robins "sheilarobins"

Respect for the Dead
Respect for the Dead
by Nick O'Brien
Price: 6.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done!, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Respect for the Dead (Paperback)
I didn't find it fast paced,as previously described, but I was drawn into the story very quickly and found myself wondering how this man's mundane existence could possibly lead him into the seedy underworld of Amsterdam.

Excellent descriptive language carried the narrative through the unfolding events leading to the clever twist at the end. A believable plot with equally believable characters and, like another reviewer, I appreciated the fact that the violence and the erotic scenes were not 'over egged'.

Well done - an excellent debut novel! I look forward to your next offering Nick!

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and thought provoking, 6 May 2013
The storyline is unlikely but nonetheless it is charming and thought provoking. The plausibility lies in the relationship between Harold and Maureen who have orbited round each other for years in their own private hell. There are many couples whose situations mirror this and the opportunity for resolution is never found. Well done Rachel Joyce for showing that peace within such a relationship can be restored. I look forward to her next offering

Contented Dementia: 24-hour Wraparound Care for Lifelong Well-being
Contented Dementia: 24-hour Wraparound Care for Lifelong Well-being
by Oliver James

5.0 out of 5 stars I do so wish ......, 31 Aug 2009
I do so wish that Penny Garner and Oliver James had produced this book 20 years ago. I was involved in caring for people with dementia over an 18 year period and, had SPECAL been around,I could have eased them through their dementia instead of just managing their anguish. I did adopt some SPECAL strategies instinctively even though the were in total opposition to all the training I'd had in the past .... and it worked. I'm now involved in training carers/support workers and fully intend to promote the SPECAL approach.
The book is easy to read, very understandable, make perfect sense and in no way did I feel it was patronising. Read it for yourself, try it for yourself and make your own judgement.