Profile for Sewsirius > Reviews

Content by Sewsirius

Sewsirius "book addict" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Kindle Money Mastery: How I Make Six Figures Through Amazon Kindle Publishing Revealed (FREE Bonus Video Included) (Kindle Publishing, How To Make Money With Kindle, How To Sell Ebooks)
Price: 1.83

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good ideas - worth the price of the book, 8 July 2014
I've been looking at writing and getting my books published as eBooks. But some authors suggest using other platforms as well as Kindle, but this author has very good reasons why this may not be in your best interests! And as this is something I had already felt was the way I wanted to go I'm a lot more clear about how to get my book(s) published. While I may not agree with just writing short books that he paid other writers to write, all his other points look very sound.

His website is also full of more information...if you're wanting to self publish on Kindle you really do need this book!

Coco Chanel and Other Fashion Designers: How to Become a Style Icon according to the Best

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs pictures!, 5 July 2014
I agree with some other reviewers that some pictures to illustrate would have made this book so much better...I would have given it five stars! Yes I know you can find pictures and photos online but not necessarily the one that the author refers to!
Overall a good read about the big designers, without the pictures though it can only be an introduction...just felt it was missing the mark
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2014 6:47 AM BST

A Place to Call Home
A Place to Call Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, 5 July 2014
Love this book! It had a few twists and turns which was great and the characters were so loveable too...highly recommend

A Winter's Tale
A Winter's Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it but addictive!, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Winter's Tale (Kindle Edition)
I've just discovered this author and so far read three of her books and each one is different from the rest and with different plots too...something that I've noticed other authors struggle to do! I love the ghost in this book especially, she added an extra "dimension" to the plot! I enjoy Trisha's male characters from the hero to the villain, each one has their own character and easily believable. I also like how she references to her other books in each book...if she could do this more it adds to the novel with letting the reader know how characters got on after their book had finished.

Her books are inexpensively priced, which makes them very good value. However, they are also VERY addictive! It's a wonderful feeling to escape into the worlds she creates so brilliantly that normal life just has to wait!

Nigella Summer
Nigella Summer
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The same book as Forever Summer Kindle Readers!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Nigella Summer (Kindle Edition)
For readers only looking at the kindle listing, this is the same book as Forever Summer! Why republish a book that is the same as a previous one with a slightly different title? I'm glad I checked out the look inside option before buying, the recipe index is identical to Forever Summer.

I'd don't know what is different with this book...but Nigella fans beware if you have already got Forever Summer you already have this book!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 7:10 PM BST

My Rag Doll: 11 adorable rag dolls to sew with clothes and accessories
My Rag Doll: 11 adorable rag dolls to sew with clothes and accessories
by Corinne Crasbercu
Price: 10.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Make friends with your seam ripper! - suitable for advanced sewers only!, 13 May 2014
I've had to totally re-write this review after making the doll...
I'm certain this book has not been tested before publishing by anyone other than the author! There are so many mistakes that a sewing tester would've picked up and got corrected and I've only made the doll, vest and bloomers! The doll's head doesn't work...the amount of gathers in the head back are so obvious when the doll is completed that I know I'm going to after to reduce the number of gathering for the next doll. Also the author says gather the head back and adjust gathers to fit the head front, but then you have to attach the head back and front to the respective body pieces before stitching front and back together! How can you adjust gathers without pinning one to the other and then unpin to sew after the next step? To feet don't look right either the dart leaves a point in the wrong place (next time I'm going to have to try a curved dart), and she never mentions about clipping seams on the feet or arms which with 1 cm seams would be essential for the arms and legs to be smooth for stuffing. 1cm seams are in fact far too big for toy projects anyway...so it is a benefit that we are left to add our own seam allowances, I reduced my allowances anyway!

I'd also like to see how the author possibly manages to machine sew the stuffed arms and legs onto the body! Impossible! Also these pieces are really small so the author describes a technique of inserting a sleeve for the first dress after sewing the side seams on the bodice and sleeve, and then she says to sew a piece of tape to the inside of the sleeve for elastic after this! Again impossible with such small pieces, even baby clothes are made by attaching the sleeve to the dress BEFORE sewing any side seams! This method is described in a later garment...there's no consistency here at all! Also the vest straps are far too long...I only needed half the length she states in the book again seam ripper time! The bloomer legs are also made more difficult by the author she states to sew the leg seams before folding up the bottom edge and making a channel for the leg elastic. I did my own thing which was to add the elastic channels before sewing ANY seams as well as adding trim etc, then it's a piece of cake to sew the leg seams, then the crotch seam, then form the waistband channel.

Why didn't the author put the amount of enlargement required on each piece? I have so many pieces that need re-doing eg the veil 200%! Also it's not clear whether the little Fairy Doll and the ballerina doll are to be enlarged 140% or 120%, the top of the making the doll page the author says ALL the dolls are made from the same pattern...but only when the reader looks down at the bottom of the page is it mentioned that these two are to be enlarged 120% and nothing is mentioned on the doll's pages either!

To summarise...this book is definitely NOT for beginners or even intermediate sewers either. I do not recommend this book to anyone other than an advanced sewer who has the knowledge and experience to work out important details the author has left out!

The Diamond Cutter: The Buddha on Managing Your Business and Your Life
The Diamond Cutter: The Buddha on Managing Your Business and Your Life
Price: 5.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Buddists!, 7 April 2014
This book is invaluable to everyone no matter what faith you believe in. Great ideas about how to balance work and life to allow more ideas to flow in all areas of your life

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A tearjerker!, 24 Feb 2014
I watched the film based on the book first and was wonderfully surprised at how close to the book the film was. A great story of a unique dog who was a dear member of the family. I cried at the end of the book as well as when I watched the film...the author truly loved his best friend and this book is a beautiful memoir of this wonderful dog including his faults! Which actually made me love him even more!

I have three cats each with their own personality none could ever be placed with another family...they are such a big part of ours! Each cat has their faults, quirks and odd behaviour that made us fall in love with them from the beginning, I can understand how the author felt at the end...I was devastated when one of our cats died suddenly, but unfortunate society doesn't place any importance on the effect losing one of our friends has...maybe this book can explain it better?

Furoshiki Fabric Wraps: Simple • Reusable • Beautiful
Furoshiki Fabric Wraps: Simple • Reusable • Beautiful
Price: 6.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ideas!, 24 Feb 2014
In an age where everything is disposable it is so refreshing to come across a concept that is both Eco-friendly and has stood the test of time!

This book shows how to use fabric in novel ways to wrap and present gifts etc. the fabric can be part of the gift and the authors have very kindly offered a link to their web site to download small tags with the instructions how to re-wrap the fabric.

I love the designs that form shopping bags...great idea and easy to carry...and can double up as a wrap!

Highly recommend!

Alabama Studio Sewing + Design: A Guide to Hand-sewing an Alabama Chanin Wardrobe
by Natalie Chanin
Price: 15.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books!, 24 Feb 2014
I love these books!

I would highly recommend buying all three of the books. Each one is written to be a stand alone book, but I want to be able to have a third of my "Own Sewn Wardrobe" to be either from Alabama Chanin's books or inspired by them. I have already made a tank top from the Studio Style book without the stencilling or extra embellishment. Each book also details different stitches which can be used to finish off your garment in a variety of ways...I'm spoilt for choice!

What I really love about this slow fashion approach is that it is possible for the garments to evolve over time. A basic dress can be embellished with embroidery at a later date (the only thing that can't really be added later is the all over stencilling and appliqué that has to be done before the garment is assembled). I also have fallen in love with the calming effect hand sewing can give. Just spending 30 mins sewing at the end of the day was so relaxing and also made a difference in the completion of my top.

I'm so inspired by this book I'm going to make the tank dress from the Studio Style book, adding a couple of pockets to the front side panels and leaving the way open to embroider the bottom of the skirt at a later date - if I want to that is!

I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to sew their own unique garments!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5