Profile for Paul > Reviews

Content by Paul

Paul (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
WorldStores Halo Memory 250 Mattress with Pillows - 4FT6 Double Mattress - Memory Foam Mattress with Memory Foam Pillows - No Turn - Anti-dustmite - Removeable Cover - Firm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Comfy Mattress, 29 Dec 2012
Bought this for a three year old but it's so comfortable my wife wants to sleep on it! What more do you want?!

FLASH SUPERSTORE SONY ERICSSON XPERIA PRO SCREEN PROTECTOR 10-IN-1 PACK with MicroFibre cleaning cloth
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, 14 Aug 2012
Does exactly what they say on the tin, and with a packet of 10 costing just over 3 delivered you can't go wrong. Why pay more?

Chappie Chicken and Wholegrain Dry Mix 15 kg
Chappie Chicken and Wholegrain Dry Mix 15 kg
Offered by RM English & Son Ltd
Price: 23.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay 3x More?, 14 Aug 2012
I moved to Chappie from James Wellbeloved when we found ourselves a bit short of pocket. I didn't see why the dog should dine on the canine equivalent of caviar and lobster while we had to eat cheaper.

A couple of years later and apart from the extra money in our pocket I haven't noticed any difference in our 7 year old border collie. She is still as healthy and lively as she was before. It makes me wonder why on earth people spend over 3 times as much on other so called "quality food."
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 10:45 AM BST

Arn the Knight Templar: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
Arn the Knight Templar: The Complete Series [Blu-ray] [2010] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Simon Callow
Offered by Moref Designs
Price: 18.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingdom of Heaven Improved, 13 Aug 2012
If you liked Kingdom of Heaven you'll like Arn - it's as simple as that. I like both but think this is a better story than KOH, albeit a little predictable - it's certainly less pretentious. The music soundtrack is better on KOH though but that's a minor point.

In terms of the story, apart from the romantic element there is a clear attempt to send the message that personal faith is superior to institutionalised religion. The Catholic Church is portrayed as institutionally corrupt, hugely political and staffed by vindictive clergy (probably a fair portrayal of the medieval church) whilst the two main protagonists are portrayed as people with a simple faith.

In terms of the Blu Ray my one small gripe are the subtitles as they add descriptions for sound effects like "horse whinnying" which seems a bit pointless. Perhaps they could have done another set for the hearing impaired and left the default one to just dialogue.

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] [2011] [2001]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood
Price: 26.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Movies shame about the bloatware, 29 May 2012
I've given these 4/5 as although I love the movies I hate all the bloatware that invariably comes in these boxsets. I'm not really too bothered about how the movies were made, I just want to enjoy them for what they are - thought provoking entertainment.

It would be nice if budget versions were released that contain just the movies.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 30, 2012 6:24 PM BST

Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977]
Star Wars: The Complete Saga [Blu-ray] [1977]
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford
Price: 49.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Movies - shame about the bloatware, 29 May 2012
As a fan of the movies but not a Star Wars anorak I don't really care how they were made, who has made spoofs or listening to endless commentaries about why Princess Leia wore this costume etc. etc. etc.

For people like me it would've been nice to have a cut price version with just the movies rather than having to pay for all the other garbage they add in. Then again, George Lucas has already made enough money releasing endless different versions so perhaps I should be thankful!

So, 5/5 for the movies; 1/5 for the bloatware making a total of 3.

Birkenstock Mayari Birko-Flor, Women Thong Sandals
Birkenstock Mayari Birko-Flor, Women Thong Sandals
Price: 31.74 - 69.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Will never wear anything else!, 27 Mar 2012
I (Mrs PLP) had no end of problems with legs/back/pelvis after spending 2 years in flipflops living in a hotter climate. Following a heavy pregnancy, my arches finally collapsed and I had plantar fasciitis and an unstable pelvis for many months.
My physio and some mummy friends recommended Birks. I reluctantly spent more than I normally would on summer sandals.....but now live in them and prefer having cold feet in winter than leaving them off! (You can get winter clog-style ones btw!) I prefer the Mayari style to the thong style as they stay firmly on and I can adjust the buckle over my high instep. They are worth every penny, last for ages and I will buy a pair every summer till I no longer have need of shoes cos my toes are pointing to heaven!

Babytalk
Babytalk
by Sally Ward
Price: 8.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and VERY effective!, 13 Sep 2011
This review is from: Babytalk (Paperback)
As older (late 30's) first-time parents we were very set in our adult-life ways and found the first months of parenting very difficult like so many other folk do, largely because of our inability to communicate with our baby. We asked our health visitor to recommend a book about child development as we knew nothing about how children learn and grow. She suggested Baby Talk and we are both SO glad that she did!
We didn't stick rigidly to the "programme", but took the principles of Dr Ward's explanations and advice and used them and asked grandparents to use them as well. We now have a just-two-year-old who talks AND listens like a 3 1/2 year old. This is making the "terrible two's" SO much easier as she can tell us what she is trying to do and really listens when we try to help her - avoiding many (not all) of the frustrated explosions that this stage can bring. Her listening is superb, correctly identifying sounds some distance away and quickly picking up and repeating tunes and lyrics of songs we sing. She is now enjoying learning the alphabet and is absorbing 4-5 new words daily, including some French.
We are still picking up the book regularly to check what we're doing and help us not to expect too much from her.
Highly recommended for parents and carers who want children that can listen as well as speak!

Masterplug Indoor Power TMIH24-MP 24-Hour Immersion Heater Segment Timer
Masterplug Indoor Power TMIH24-MP 24-Hour Immersion Heater Segment Timer
Price: 5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last a month, 20 Aug 2011
This timer was easy to connect and worked fine.....until it blew up less than one month after installation. Not recommended!

Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
Jesus of Nazareth: From the Baptism in the Jordan to the Transfiguration
by Pope Benedict XVI
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Hope for the Church, 3 May 2011
I don't like labels (they often bring unnecessary division) however I would position myself in the "reformed charismatic evangelical" stream of Christianity. Nevertheless I read this book during a week's retreat at a Catholic Monastery and found it refreshing with a depth sadly lacking in some more evangelical teachings.

Pope Benedict writes this book as a personal quest, as he puts it, "for the face of the Lord." I can't help but think this set him at liberty to write from the Gospels alone, rather than feeling he had to "toe the party line." He is an obvious scholar yet manages to writes with great clarity, although a grasp of "Christianese" - that language only church folk seem to understand - is necessary so it wouldn't be a good book to give to a non-Christian curious about the faith.

As a Roman Catholic it is no surprise that he places significant emphasis on the Eucharist. This wasn't an issue for me as I do wonder at times whether us evangelicals, in an effort to not be ritualistic, lose some of the solemnity and reverence surrounding communion. He doesn't pull his punches though, and is prepared to openly challenge the church, current liberal theology - including in the Catholic Church itself. Particularly interesting was his teaching on the Parable of the Prodigal Son, which was remarkably similar to Tim Keller's excellent book "The Prodigal God" - it is always refreshing when Christian teachers come to the same conclusions.

Reading this book, I was left with the realisation that there is a genuine love of Jesus Christ and a desire for truth in the heart of its author. Given that the author is no less than the leader of the Roman Catholic Church, I would recommend this book to those Christians who sadly retain the irrational anti-Catholic bigotry that should have disappeared from the church years ago. One doesn't have to agree with everything the Roman Church teaches, or even everything within this book - but what it showed me is that the potential for greater unity in the body of Christ, without compromising on truth, is possible - and that is cause for great hope for the worldwide church.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3