Profile for Paul > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Newday Live 2014
Newday Live 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Quality Offering, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Newday Live 2014 (MP3 Download)
This is the latest live worship album from NewDay, the annual youth event for the NewFrontiers church movement. I am rapidly approaching my 40th birthday and yet I still look forward to NewDay's annual offering - and as usual the music is well produced and the lyrics full to the brim of the truth about the grace and glory of God demonstrated in Jesus Christ.

Although most of the album is the standard guitar "pop-rock" style that's the staple diet of most British charismatic churches, over recent years they've been trying to broaden their musical horizons, experimenting with different styles. This year I was particularly pleased to hear a couple of more "dancey" club-esque tunes; the first track "Call You Faithful" I thought was particularly good.

I don't buy many worship albums these days but I always look forward to NewDay's annual releases....and you don't need to be under the age of 20 either!

Vamousse Head Lice Treatment Mousse - 160ml
Vamousse Head Lice Treatment Mousse - 160ml
Offered by Home of Health

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective with Shampoo, 3 Oct 2014
We weren't keen on using insecticides so we bought this from a local chemist as a last resort to months of infestation. My wife spent ages working the mousse into every nook and cranny of our daughter's hair and sure enough within about 15 minutes lice were literally dropping out - so far so good.

After one week we found a few live freshly hatched juveniles had survived; I don't know whether we just missed out some bits of her hair/scalp or whether the product wasn't 100% effective. It does say you need to work it in every single part of the hair but wife my was pretty thorough.

We used the accompanying shampoo to finish the job off which seems to have done the trick as we haven't spotted any more.

I'm giving the product 4 stars as it does appear to work effectively so long as you follow the instructions to the letter. I couldn't say with absolute confidence it is 100% effective by itself though - it probably needs to be used in tandem with the shampoo (which bumps the cost for a treatment to about £25) and a lot of patience.

Rheme Premium Universal Hard Case For Sat Nav - Suitable for all 5 inch and 6 inch devices including TomTom, Garmin, Navman and Navigon Brands ( for the 6 inch you need to remove the tray )
Offered by Best Digital Market

Hyper-Grace: The Dangerous Doctrine of a Happy God
Hyper-Grace: The Dangerous Doctrine of a Happy God

4.0 out of 5 stars Good contribution to the "hyper grace" debate, 10 July 2014
After reading the book I was left wondering why there is such a huge debate. Perhaps I've just been fortunate but I've been exposed to a fair amount of grace teaching and I've never heard anyone teach some of the misconceptions referred to in this book. Whilst some of the finer points can be debated (and should be - let iron sharpen iron) I didn't read anything in the book that rang massive alarm bells in my head or that in my opinion directly contradicted anything written in Scripture. Having read the book I certainly don't feel inclined to go out and sin more, not confess my sin or not seek to live a life "worthy of the calling."

On to the book itself. First let's be clear about what it is and what it isn't:

- It is written for Christians. It is not an exhaustive study or introduction to Christianity but a response to certain claims about the "grace message" by some Christian teachers. It is therefore targetted at Christians who are acquainted with the ongoing debate about the so called "hyper-grace" movement / doctrine, but no so useful it you're after a resource about the Gospel of God's grace to share with your non-Christian friends. You will hear names like Dr Brown, Rick Joyner, Todd Bentley - household names in some circles but to those unfamiliar with mainstream American Christianity (or indeed Christianity in general) you may find yourself wondering who these people are.

- It is not full of big words and high brow theology, it's written in a light conversational style so if you're looking for an exhaustive exegesis with hundreds of Greek translations then look elsewhere. This by no means detracts from the book or it's message though as you doesn't need a PhD in Theology or a fancy job title to be gifted to teach - lest we forget that Peter and the early apostles were noted as being "uneducated men" by the scholars of the day. I am degree educated and I found the writing style refreshingly accessible and easy to read.

- It is not full of condemnation for other teachers; I suspect some of the reviewers have fallen into "he doesn't agree with me so he's condemning me" trap. In my opinion the author was respectful but firm in his convictions without being offensive or personal; he also left the door open for feedback and dialogue which was refreshing. He was certainly less inflammatory against opposing teachers than the Apostle Paul was in some of his letters - and that's in the Bible!

Conclusion

I may be wrong but I do wonder whether much of this debate is based on either semantics or misunderstanding coming out of different responses to essentially the same message. If that is the case then hopefully D R Silva's book will help smooth some ruffled feathers. He does a good job dealing with some possible misconceptions surrounding the grace message but what he does best of all is encourage people to go away, ask questions, look to God and study the Bible for themselves rather than just swallow what their favourite TV / Facebook / Pulpit preachers tell them all the time.

We live in an age where Paul's word to Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:3 "For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions..." is sadly accurate. It's refreshing to hear a teacher encourage people to test and challenge what he writes against Scripture - and who doesn't get upset or offended if you draw different conclusions.

All in all a good contribution for Christians already familiar with the underlying debate. Perhaps (if he hasn't already) the author could write a book targetted at non-Christians as he is a good author with a nice easy tone that I think non-Christians would find easy to read and understand.

Texet CC612N 12L Cross Cut Shredder
Texet CC612N 12L Cross Cut Shredder

4.0 out of 5 stars Good shredder, 19 Jun 2014
Excellent shredding, would get 5 stars however the feeding mechanism is a little awkward, although it does make it safer.

Shop4 Black Leather Flip Wallet Case For Nokia Asha 302 Mobile Phone with Screen Protector
Offered by Accessoryworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and Cheerful, 26 May 2014
Bought this for my Nokia Asha - it looks stylish and is good quality for the price. Also with a free screen protector, bargain.

The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
by Sally Lloyd-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2014
We are disturbed by how little God's grace is taught in churches, to be honest most Sunday School stuff is based around Old Testament stories and good behaviour - nothing wrong with either of course UNLESS you don't use them to point people to Jesus, which is something Sally Lloyd-Jones does brilliantly in this book.

Some commentators have mentioned that this book papers over sin and disobedience but it deals brilliantly with the worst consequence of sin in the first story, namely how it separated us from God. Besides, this book isn't the Bible, it's a paraphrase for children; neither is it a replacement for godly parenting - it's a resource for godly parents to use - among others that discuss aspects like obedience.

For my wife and I this book is a blessing. Children are saturated with a culture of performance from a young age, it's refreshing to have a book that simply deals with the incredible love and grace of our Father through His Son Jesus Christ. As Scripture says, its the kindness of God that leads us to repentance.

NIKE Dart 9 Leather Men's Running Shoe, Black/Grey/Red, UK10
NIKE Dart 9 Leather Men's Running Shoe, Black/Grey/Red, UK10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes, 26 April 2014
Great comfortable shoes with good support - I just wish you could still get them as the Dart 10s are rubbish.

NIKE Dart 10 Leather Men's Running Shoes
NIKE Dart 10 Leather Men's Running Shoes

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality and Uncomfortable, 26 April 2014
Having previously owned Nike Dart 9s and Dart 7s I had high expectations of these shoes. Instead I was hugely disappointed. The soles are hard and uncomfortable - nothing like the Dart 9s and worse of all, the mesh on the side broke less than two months after I bought them, which considering I only use them as normal shoes to walk to/from work (1.5 miles each way) is ridiculous. In the end I complained to Nike Customer Services and will be returning these for a refund as faulty goods.
If you can get them, stick with the Dart 9s.

We Are Yours
We Are Yours

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Worship, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Are Yours (MP3 Download)
We always buy the NewDay albums and like most NewFrontiers based worship music this offering doesn't disappoint. The tracks are lively but solid, most are "classic" guitar based worship songs although there is a bit of hip hop mixed in - it's good to see NewDay are branching out to different styles of music and a bit more of this in future offerings would be good.

As usual the lyrics are solid and certainly not "dumbed down" for youth meetings (not that they should be as teenagers are young adults after all!) which is great to see. We are closer to 40 than 14 and we happily sing along without feeling we're trying to be something we're not.

Highly recommended live worship.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3