Profile for Tina Brescanu > Reviews

Content by Tina Brescanu

Tina Brescanu (Dublin, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Caelum: Even though death is near, love is never to far.
Caelum: Even though death is near, love is never to far.

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it but it doesn't mean others won't, 26 May 2014
The premise for the book is good, end of the Earth stories should be action packed and interesting, but this story reads like a dream the author wishes to realise and dreams are good, they don't always make good stories though, but to be fair, perhaps this story is just not for me, maybe the target audience will like it.

To me, it's like reading in slow motion, it's 2060 but apart from technology it's like time has stood still as the main character is still bored in school and the only adventure he goes on is more training, first theoretical and then practical.

The Guardian of Secrets: And Her Deathly Pact.
The Guardian of Secrets: And Her Deathly Pact.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like big books, and I cannot lie but this is epic and hard to stop reading, 14 Mar. 2014
This is a big book, and I don’t like big books, but it’s also epic and once you start it’s hard to stop reading. The language is seductive, and the story line takes you deeper and deeper and I’m almost dizzy with all the detailed details. Love was blind at this time as the man Celia marries changes from a handsome man to a drunken, violent slob in no time, but as her family tree keeps growing Celia does too. The amount of research that must have gone into this substantial piece is hugely admiring and to put it all into a fantastic story of this calibre, it deserves a TV series.
I loved learning more about the history of Spain as I’ve always had a fascination for Spain and only knew the country superficially before. The many historical twist and turns make this story interesting even though historical fiction is not my usual genre. Well done and may it be a best seller.

I Want To Be a Kid When I Grow Up: Adults' Guide to Sanity, Freedom and Happiness
by Margaret Maes

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be a best seller, 7 Mar. 2014
I read this book years ago and loved it but I never bothered writing a review and although I'm a writer too now and know how important a review is, especially to an indie author I still don't always write a review. This non fiction book gives power to children and deserves to be read by many, but unfortunately it still lingers in the land of the unknown. The author looks at ways we as adults can change and become more like children and I think it's a recipe for success, but of course success is different to everyone. Thank you for this wonderful book, Maeve.

Calyx of Teversall
Calyx of Teversall
by Maia Appleby

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves to be read by many, 11 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Calyx of Teversall (Paperback)
This modern day fairytale story is as good as I've read, actually better, much better. Calyx of Teversall made me think of John Boyne's Noah Barleywater runs away, for the excellent and very enthralling way of making storytelling timeless, but this is easier to read, and that's a good thing. I bought this book for my children, but as I read the first chapter to them at bedtime I found I couldn't stop, and it accompanied me everywhere until I finished it. The story is immediately captivating, and although it contains the usual magical creatures, Maia manages to make them unusual and interesting again. Calyx is a delight to follow as he grows from a three year old boy to a young man and I think it's a shame that this book is not more widely known. The illustrations deserve a special mention too, beautiful.

Aleph
Aleph
by Paulo Coelho

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Aleph (Paperback)
If I were Paulo Coelho, which I'm not, but he is one of my greatest writing inspirations, I would have fictionalised Aleph and made passionate love to the beautiful Hilal.
I read Aleph, I lived it only in my own imagination, hoping for what never came, picturing what I would do instead of what they did, both in their past and present lives.
Yes, the story was magical in the way all of Paulo's books bring you into yourself. Reading his books can be a shamanic ritual, this is his gift in this life, but revisiting this particular past life left me cold.
I wanted them to make passionate love, to claim back something of themselves that was obviously floating around the ever present now, sexual healing is healing at the very basic level, the start of everything. I was as disappointed as Hilal might have felt. They had waited for each other for so long, forgiveness is powerful, but why couldn't they express what they felt through Eros love too? The way Hilal was treated felt not unlike the time Paulo was trying to find forgiveness for, she was less, she was annoying, she was in the way, she wasn't well trained. I know there are different kinds of love, and loving someone like a river or music might have been enough for them. I believe love doesn't need marriage and allowing yourself to feel everything you feel even when married and acting on it is not weak, it's powerful.
I loved his description of everyone he has ever been, I recognised myself in those passages, I loved the way he likened the train to a huge city, the way he seems to carry everything he experienced inside rather than outside.
I just felt this love to be of unconsummated Eros love from the past, but then again that might be my own journey to take.

The Storm Before the Calm
The Storm Before the Calm
by Neale Donald Walsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Editing culture stories and belief systems, what a great idea! Where can I apply?, 12 Jan. 2012

I suggested this a few years back to the UN when they asked for help with how to reach the Millennium Goals. I said we needed a Department of Equality, a Department of Imagination and a Department of Deep Heart (an ancient language all humans used to speak) in order to find our true selves again, but it probably sounded too much like fiction, or fantasy.

Neale's book invites us to be a part of A New Human Manifesto, to engage with each other in a global conversation with humanity. I think it's a marvellous idea, so simple and, therefore, so powerful.

We all want the same things in life: happiness, joy, purpose, fun, health, spirit, connection, friendship, love but we are very bad at working together to achieve what we say we want.

We have done so much dividing that we can't see that we're all members of the human family.

I grew up with this change and editing skill. My mother's parent fled Karelia, the part of Finland they lost to Russia during the war. Then they fled Finland when the borders were closing, and Russia was searching for Karelians.

In fear of being found they kept their original culture stories quiet but became experts on editing and renewing in order to show themselves, rather than a whole country. They contained much more than Karelia than Finland than Sweden, they contained the possibilities of the universe and in their bold editing of their birth story they find a new reason for living. In their gratefulness to Sweden, I grew in awe of Finland.

My grandparent's love of their new country, and their editing of their birth culture story was a powerful inspiration to live my life according to my heart. It was as if they were God herself, in two people and not just any people, two big kids, a boy and a girl.

Writing a new culture story means starting with ourselves. One of the great blessings of being an immigrant, is that we are given a huge opportunity to re-examine our culture story, and I have come to realise that while I might not be typically Swedish, I love Sweden deeply and intensely--thanks to Ireland. I have made my own version of almost every cultural celebration I grew up with to work for me where I am now, I have discarded some and I have invented new ones i.e. gratefulness to Ireland day, the 11th of every month and of Saint Parents Holy Children in March--to remind ourselves of the enormous possibilities and opportunities contained within this sacred relationship.

I have read every one of Neale's books and it's like talking to a friend, a friend I don't know personally, but still a friend. Thank you for the invitation to engage and be a part of writing the next story, the most important story--a New Cultural Story for humanity. I'm grateful and hopeful.

Tina Brescanu Author of Warriors of Change: Sentenced to School

Truancy (Tom Doherty Associates Books)
Truancy (Tom Doherty Associates Books)
by Isamu Fukui

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reality Check of Suffering in the Name of Education, 28 Dec. 2011
Truancy by Isamu Fukui is a releasing read as well as a reality check of suffering in the name of education. This story is based in a fantasy world which makes the story more real, fantasy being a wider angle of truth. The violence is the severe symptom of a diseased city where Education rule and the students of Truancy finally fight back. I understand that the author found it easier to write his story being in school himself but you never forget school whether it was good or bad. I was a rebellious child and the sad state of the education system in the story matched the feelings I had about school. I didn't stay to fight though; I escaped.

Early school leaving does not necessarily lead to criminality. Truancy is an act of bravery; it's also an act of self love. Punishment for truancy in many countries, in the real world, proves that school is not an opportunity, it's an obligation. Thank God for the many countries acknowledging the right of parents to decide on homeschooling/unschooling if that's what a child needs instead of punishing a child that doesn't fit the one and only system to get through the start of life.

This book takes truancy to the next level in a fictional world, but it could be real. If we allowed young people to learn what they want in their own time we would have a better world. No one thrives being forced and although school suits some, it certainly doesn't suit all. If we fully understood the harm done we would release everyone into their own learning, anything else would be imprisonment and that's not what school is about, is it?

This book shows the dark corners of students forced to education in the name of production and paying one's way. It shows that life is not your own at all.

Having read through the reviews for this book, I understand school doesn't leave anyone unaffected, both for and against are entitled to their opinion. I was drawn to the book thanks to the title. I found the writing interesting and engaging. I understood the characters and the plot was good too, but then being an early school leaver, perhaps I'm not properly trained.

Tina Brescanu Author of Warriors of Change: Sentenced to School

The 7 Graces of Marketing: How to Heal Humanity and the Planet by Changing the Way We Sell
by Lynn Serafinn

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT JUST FOR BUSINESS, FOR LIFE!, 26 Dec. 2011
Reading Lynn's book is like being engaged in a conversation with the author as Lynn's powerful voice reach across the pages into your heart, the connection place of the Earth.

Storytelling is a powerful way of conveying a message, and Lynn uses it both to highlight the sins and the graces, and it makes everything clear and easy to understand.

You don't have to run a business to benefit from this book, in fact, I think it should be on most college course's reading lists; as the graces of this book could be expanded and applied in more settings than just business and marketing. Actually it's a book for everyone. As a new author, of a spiritual fiction/fantasy story for tweens and teens, I bought this book to learn about marketing and without claiming any of the many bonuses on offer I got plenty of extras in the form of self healing, self realisation and self knowledge.

Lynn smashes the usual interpretation of karma, a universal law of reward and punishment and shows us what it really is; a belief in bad luck, fate or whatever you call having no choice. I like it.

Lynn's definition of abundance is spot on. As an early school leaver, I worked with recycling in the mid 80's, and I could see the effect of old style marketing in the massive amounts of stuff coming in every day, it was never ending, but instead of feeling richness, I felt disconnection and sadness when sorting and dividing. People didn't feel more abundant in the Swedish economic boom of the 80's than they did during the Celtic Tiger in Ireland because abundance is about what you are being, not what you have. Of course, working for a charity I wasn't supposed to feel like that, we had stuff in abundance what was wrong with that?

I thought I knew who I was when starting to read this book but I found out more, thanks to the depths Lynn goes to and in the end it's about changing ourselves in order to heal humanity and the planet by changing the way we sell. Lynn's book will take you inside yourself and see if you're an asset to mother Earth or if you need to reclaim your luminescence.

The Hobbit
The Hobbit
by J. R. R. Tolkien

5.0 out of 5 stars I can understand my 8 year old son's tears at the end of another re-read of Hobbit., 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Hobbit (Paperback)
Immediately I'm struck by the language, it's so timeless and poetic and feels almost like a song. The language might still be a bit difficult for the age range that I know loves Hobbit-6 and up, but this story is interesting enough to use a dictionary. I like the capital letter for creatures and things typically considered a definite small letter-- that's my type of writing.
Hobbit follows the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, a Hobbit is a small, unadventurous creature with large appetising hunger. The land of the Middle-Earth is a land of wonder and hate, of good and evil through which Bilbo goes on a quest with 13 Dwarfes in order to get the riches of the Dwarf leader Thorin's ancestor back from the evil Dragon Smaug. On their way they meet many interesting creatures and characters, Trolls, Gollum--a creature of evil whom Hobbit plays a Game of Riddles with, the men of the Lake, Elves, Goblins, Wargs and Spiders.
This is the first time I read Tolkien and I wonder why I waited so long. I love the descriptions, the familiar tone, the fun tone and the beautiful tone in the middle of the ugliness, danger and fear. I enjoyed the riddle game with Gollum as well as the clever exchange of words with Smaug.
During the quest Bilbo finds a ring that makes the wearer invisible. Hobbit changes and grows during his quest but he always stays very likeable.
I can understand my 8 year old son's tears at the end of another re-read of Hobbit. Bilbo Baggins comes alive and you want him to stay, or at least keep in contact. The best stories brings you there and now I too have been in the lands where before only my son had dwelled.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 16, 2011 4:09 PM GMT

Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
by Pam Leo

5.0 out of 5 stars Connect instead of disconnect with children, 13 Nov. 2011
Connection Parenting offers a compassionate read to parents and parents to be who know we could all be better parents. One of the many sad things of the times we live in is that most parenting is still done by what was done to us, and no matter how much we insist smacking, shouting, pulling, name calling, being lied to etc didn't hurt us, we still love our parents etc, yes--but we could be better, we could be bigger, we could be connecting with our children instead of disconnecting which is what we do every time we use coercion, threat, bribes and even awards.
Too often we choose what we think is the easy route, laying down the law, being bosses, and teaching everything by" I told you so", or "because".
Connecting with your child is about taking the time it takes to be a parent, not the rush job it has been reduced to because we have mistakenly interpreted contribution to life and society to be more valuable if it comes through taxpaying work. The price for bad parenting is a price we all pay for so it makes sense to learn how to be better parents.

Page: 1 | 2