Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dark Places
Dark Places

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel, 20 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Dark Places (Kindle Edition)
From the opening chapter told by Libby Day I was hooked. Gillian Flynn appears to have this great knack of throwing out her line, hooking the reader and then slowly reels them in over the course of the novel.

The story is told from three perspectives and although it does skip from past to present it is done in a uniform way so that the reader is not confused or lost at any time. The story essentially is about a family tragedy in Kansas, Missouri during 1985 and is told by the one surviving family member Libby Day, her brother Ben, and her mother Patty. Through these different perspectives we learn the hidden secrets of these three and how on January 3rd 1985 Libby's family is murdered and her brother blamed for the events.

Patty a divorced mother of four is desperately trying to keep the family farm going while bringing up her children. Exhausted, working so hard to keep all ends up in the air she neglects to really see what is happening in her family, she starts to worry about her son being involved in satanic rituals; afraid to over react and push him further away from her but needing to protect him she finds herself drifting away from her son, not really knowing him. Her ex husband and father to the children Runner turns up periodically when he wants money, never helps her to keep the farm going, doesn't worry how she manages only sees her as a meal ticket. She can't confide in him about the children who he doesn't understand or really care about anyway and Patty finds herself constantly alone except from her sister Diana.

Then we have Ben - fifteen, troubled youngster in that he always feels inadequate, his father when he is around appears to mock him, he has no real friends, gets lost in his music Heavy Metal behind a padlocked door to keep out his sisters in particular Michelle. A loner who is desperate to belong somewhere he gets involved with some older college kids who also mock him but appear to accept him the way he is. He meets Diondra a girl well out of his league, older and smarter than him who uses him when she wants some fun. Ben takes the reader through the story from his point of view and although he can act weirdly we begin to question whether he could have murdered his family.

Libby Day Ben's little sister - 7 years old when the tragedy happened, starts the reader on the journey of unraveling just who did commit those murders. When we meet Libby 25 years have passed since the murders and her brother Ben has been in jail all those years. Now a young woman in her 30's deeply affected by what happened she has become a suspicious, complex, selfish and sometimes violent character. Flynn does not try to portray her as a victim more as a survivor who has had to cocoon herself in a hard shield. Having spent the years surviving on well wishers money she is now out of funds and must either work or find another way to keep herself. She hears of the Kill Club when one of its members contacts her for a 'guest' appearance for money and she embarks on a journey of discovery, secrets and lies that changes her life forever.

A pacey page turner of a novel, good developed characters, broken, flawed Libby, weird moody Ben and their exhausted down trodden mother all make for a satisfying read. Good secondary characters keep this little time bomb ticking along with the Gothic and dark references reflecting the period, tight knit community prejudices and opinions and the innocence of youth all coming together to make this novel work.

I like the way Gilllian Flynn pulls you in and does not let you go until she's ready.

Has to be another 4 stars for this one.

BENEFIT COSMETICS High Beam luminescent complexion enhancer FULL SIZE 13 ml 0.45 US fl oz BOXED
Offered by US international service

2.0 out of 5 stars Left my face shiny, 18 Jan. 2015
The last High Beam I had was also a sample size, I have not purchased it since, as it does seem to last a very long time although this could be because I don't use it very often at all. This product I feel is not for me. I find it leaves my face very shiny in places and that's not the look I am going for, it could just be down to the colour tones of my skin, but I am not impressed with it. If I apply too much I end up looking like my face as a pearl glaze to it!

Would I buy it again?
No, it doesn't fit my needs. I personally wouldn't recommend this product but that it only down to the feel and the final look on myself. Many others may like this and I am sure they do. I personally think this is too expensive, although if it does last a long time it could be an investment for some.

Maggie Does Meribel (Girls On Tour BOOK 3)
Maggie Does Meribel (Girls On Tour BOOK 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannot wait for Rachel in Rome after this!, 18 Jan. 2015
Here comes the third installment from the Girls on Tour series by Nicola. I am loving this series, I have really enjoyed getting to know these characters well and accompany them on their holidays.

So we meet Maggie in this story, she is going on her first proper holiday with boyfriend Leo, they are going over the New Year holidays and this is a special time already for Maggie as it is around the time she got together with Leo. This is a holiday he had organised with his friends and while they are all bringing their partners, primarily it is a ski holiday for the who group.

Maggie is not a skier but is willing to give it a try if it means a whole holiday with Leo. When they arrive, Maggie notices a very annoying girl shouting loudly into her mobile, she begins pitying the people who are going to be spending their holiday with her!

Before they are in the ski resort long Maggie gets the hint that actually her tagging along on holiday with Leo was just that, he seems very uninterested in her and spends very little time with Maggie alone. Maggie begins to question her relationship with Leo, after seeing all of his friends loved up with their girlfriends, she believes this is because they are still in the honeymoon period of their relationship. Deep down though she is not sure she believes this.

This is quite short at 65 pages but just as the others in the Girls on Tour series keeps you interested and really draws you in. Since discovering Doherty early last year, I am now always keen to read anything written by her, she has a way of making the story well paces, witty and her characters likable.

This hasn't been my favourite story in the series so far but it is definitely work a read, that again is just down to personal taste. I do love the fact that all the stories are set in different parts of the world, any book that has travelling in is a big hit for me!

This is a brilliant addition to the Girls on Tour series and this has really got me in the mood for Rachel does Rome.

I would like to thank the publisher for supplying me with this in exchange for an honest review.

JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down
JUST DESSERTS: a romance novella you won't want to put down

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Tale, 17 Jan. 2015
I have previously read Emma's other novel Green Hills of Home and loved it. I found the pace and suspense to be great and I also go that with this short story.

This is about Leah a young chef who is about to marry the love of her life and her childhood sweet heart. Her fiance has ideas about how their life together is going to be and suggests moving out of London and into the country. Leah goes along with this but it seems she is the only one who is going to be missing out. On announcing her resignation at the restaurant she works in, it doesn't take long for the manager to advertise her position and he expects her to train her successor.

What will Leah do when a gorgeous, talented chef turns up to replace her?

The story is a little predictable but being so short this was something I expected. I really enjoyed the story and cared about the characters. Emma is a brilliant author who seems to be able to really capture the reader if her book is 55 pages long or 300 pages long.

I would have liked this to have been a little longer as I feel there was potential for this to be a full length novel. It was executed well though and I would recommend this to anyone who loves a good romance and has a busy life. Hey, everyone can fit in 55 pages!

I would like to thank Emma for this copy in exchange for an honest review.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, one of the top thrillers I have read in a while!, 15 Jan. 2015
When I heard about all the hype about The Girl On The Train I just knee I had to read it.

For me, this novel really did live up to my expectations; it was fast paced and kept my interest throughout.

This story is about Rachel, she is like many commuters, daily travelling to work on the train into the city. Along her commute she sees 'Jess and Jason' a couple for a life she has created. They have the perfect life, everything that Rachel wants, not everything is perfect for them as she soon discovers.

Rachel used to have the perfect relationship, now she is divorced, living with a flatmate, lovely and has turned to the bottle.

Tom is Rachel's ex husband and is now living with his new wife Anna and their child. He is still living in the property he once shared with Rachel and Rachel finds this hard to move on.

The story is told through the perspective of three women, Rachel, Anna and Megan. I really enjoyed reading the story from all of their perspectives. Rachel as the main character was not likable, however I did want to like her and was routing for her to develop through the story and become more likable.

I found the story to begin with was slow and I felt I could see the tension building. I loved that as we went through the story we were given little pieces to piece together to help discover real truth.

I absolutely loved this book, it kept my interest and I didn't guess the ending until very late in the book, which I loved.

This is the must have thriller you have to read. Pop this on your wish list, you will not regret t!

I would like to thank the publisher for sending d in exchange for an honest review.

Universal Phone Cradle Holder Adjustable Flexible iPhone Night Bed Stand, Long-arm Desktop Table Mount Holder for Smart Phones iPhone 6p 6 5/4s/4, Samsung Galaxy S2 / S3 / S4 S5, Galaxy NOTE 2 3 4, Motorola Droid RAZR / MAXX, HTC EVO 4G, HTC One X, LG Revolution, Blackberry Z10 etc. Cell Phone Night Stand Fit for Sleeper Lazybones Geek
Offered by Racksoy

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed!, 6 Jan. 2015
Bought this for my husband as he wanted of of these for Christmas. To be honest, I was unsure what to expect. When it arrived I couldn't believe how heavy it was. This product is completely solid!

On attaching it to the bed frame it too a while, the plastic grip is very stiff and you need to be quite strong to open it. The other negative is that the holder droops unless you have fitted the product in the correct position. I could see that different designs of headboards could create a problem for this product.

Luckily this is a great product for my husband and he loves it. He has used it every night since I have bought it for him. I personally would recommend this product if you have bars you can attach it to.

The Headmaster's Wife
The Headmaster's Wife

4.0 out of 5 stars Many twists and turns, 4 Jan. 2015
The Headmasters Wife, for me was a relatively quick read and bein under 300 pages. Saying that I couldn't believe the journey I had been on with the book, the author managed to really pack everything into those pages, if felt a lot longer and at the same time it whizzed by.

This story is told through th perspective of Arthur for at least half of the story, personally this was the part of the story I enjoyed a lot more. I felt it was action packed and had very good pace. The reader learns about how he got himself into the situation where he is caught walking through the snow naked.

The story was beautiful and cleverly written. The reader can clearly slip in and out of thoughts with Arthur and vividly see yourself in the same room, along with the police who are questioning him. You start to feel like you are judging Arthur at times and question the truth.

As I was reading this I kept wondering why the story was called The Headmaster s Wife when we hadn't even been introduced to her! This makes your mind go wandering, wondering how she is going to make an appearance and why. During the second half of the story all becomes clear, I found this a story of constant twists and turns. At times I was a little unsure of the genre of this book as it seems to cross into a few. I think this would appeal to a large audience.

Personally I didn't enjoy the second half of the book as much as the first. It felt like I was reading two separate stories. I also was a little disappointed with the ending of the story, I felt it could have ended a lot better, it seemed like such an anticlimax.

Due to the pure enjoyment and pace of the first half I have given the story 4 stars.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Thornfield Hall
Thornfield Hall
by Jane Stubbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Thornfield Hall (Paperback)
Thornfield Hall magically transported me back not only to the period of 1821 and all the quintessentially Englishness of this Victorian period but back to my school days when I was forced to read that wonderful classic Jane Eyre. I am so glad that I was made to read this incredibly beautiful book at school and even more pleased that I was asked to review this novel of Jane Stubbs telling the story behind Jane Eyre from the servants below stairs.

I never thought that Jane Eyre could be enhanced or indeed needed enhancing but having read Thornfield Hall I realised how much more rounded the original book became for me because of this novel. Jane Stubbs managed to retain all the magic and mystery of the original book as if she were Charlotte Bronte herself. She understood the characters so well and seemed able to really capture the essence of the book, it was beautifully written with great imagery connecting the reader to the familiar language and landscape of the rugged Yorkshire countryside and the hardships of living below stairs during this Victorian era.

Those of you who have read Jane Eyre will know the story so there are no 'spoilers' here, those of you who have not read the original will certainly want to read it I am sure after reading Thornfield Hall.

Jane Stubbs managed to preserve the integrity of the original book and yet create an outstandingly convincing take of the same novel from the perspective of the servants who were the hidden heart of the household, keeping the estates and grand houses running and sharing hardships and secrets below stairs. I loved the way Stubbs moulded the characters and developed their personalities, introducing new characters who were just as convincing as the originals and the twist she gave to the end of the story, believable and completely in keeping with the original novel.

If you, like me, loved Jane Eyre then you have to read this book, its' enchanting, beautifully written and well worth the 5 stars I have given it. If you haven't read Jane Eyre then you need to if only to appreciate the mastery of Jane Stubbs Thornfield Hall.

Loved it, absolutely loved it. I would like to thank the publisher for sending this, in exchange for an honest review.

The Kiss Before Midnight: A Christmas Romance Novella
The Kiss Before Midnight: A Christmas Romance Novella

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sweet Romance, 4 Jan. 2015
I am a sucker for a beautiful cover and when I saw this on Netgalley for review, I knew I had to request it.

Lately I have been in a reading slump. I think my busy life has got to me and I have found it hard to keep my focus when it comes to reading, this is not great when you read lots of books! I have read many stories set at Christmas time this year, but I think this is one of my favourites. What I loved about it is that it is classed as a novella, it is relatively short at just over 120 pages, but I found that helped me keep focus and actually I shouldn't have been worried. I was completely hooked from the beginning.

This story is about Molly, she recently has moved to London, to prove she can stand on her own two feet! It has been going well so far, a flat, job and a friend. However there is one thing she cannot seem to move on from, that kiss with her brothers best friend (and adopted member of the family) Jake, last New Years Eve.

Molly is heading home to Liverpool for the holidays and goaded by her friend and that one New Year's resolution she never managed to tick off is determined to put Jake to bed literally so she can move on with her life back in London.

This is all I want to say about The Kiss Before Midnight as I don't want to spoil it for you. I know the holidays are now over, but that is not a reason to miss this little beauty of a story out. I think no matter what time of year you read it, it will bring you a roller coaster of emotions. Yes, at one point I actually started to dislike Molly!

This is a sweet romance that will have you racing through it. It is told through both Molly's and Jake's perspective, which is something else I feel made this story so perfect, it allowed the reader really get to know both of them. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone who loves a sweet romance.

I would like to thank the publisher for a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.

The World of PostSecret
The World of PostSecret
by Frank Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets Exposed, 3 Jan. 2015
This is the first time I have come across postsecret before and I couldn't believe people do this.

This book is full of postcards and photographs that have been sent to Frank with secrets on them. Some of the secrets are funny, silly, others are harrowing and shocking. When I read some of the secrets I had an urge to help some of the authors and couldn't believe what I was reading.

This is a beautifully presented book of full colour images. This would make an amazing coffee table book and one that you share with family and friends. This actually got m thinking, did these people tell their partners/fAmily about their secrets or are they still unknown?

Frank is extremely clever for thinking up this unique tee book. After browsing this book I would love to discover others by him.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20