Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

benefit they're real! push-up liner
benefit they're real! push-up liner
Offered by MV TRADE

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good quality product., 30 Jan. 2016
I use eye-liner every day, so if there is a good product I find, regardless of the price I would get it. This sounded amazing, a gel eye-liner, which would last all day and being smudge and water proof would suit me down to the ground.

This is the second time I have got this product in a Birchbox and although I love Benefit products, this one is not for me. I find it very hard to get the product out of the packaging and it seems that I have squeezed and squeezed it but nothing happens. This could be due to the size of the sample and that perhaps it is too small.

When I have managed to get the product out it doesn't seem to glide across the eyelid, but seems to clot into a ball. Unfortunately this one is not for me. Priced at £18.50, I would want a much better product. I will not be buying this and to be honest I wouldn't mind if I never got it in a box again.

I also would not recommend this product.

Castaway in the Caribbean
Castaway in the Caribbean

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, perfect for round by the pool., 30 Jan. 2016
This book sounded just like my thing, I love travelling and especially enjoy being in the Caribbean, this is an area of the world I have managed to make very familiar. One of my favourite islands is Tortola, so for this to feature in the book made me excited.

I really enjoyed the first half of the book, it was pacy and the story line interested me. We are on holiday with Janey and her boyfriend. They feel like they are miles away from anyone and are enjoying every minute of it. Janey works for an editor in Scotland and so when she gets a call from her boss asking her to leave Antigua and pop over to Tortola to help out with a photo shoot, Janey looks at it as a chance to shine and show her boss what she is made of. Her boyfriend is less impress after just proposing and her contemplating to leave.

Getting to Tortola isn't as easy as it should be, with no flights running, her only option is to hire a boat. This is where she meets Travis, Janey pays over the odds for Travis to take her, but she feels like she has little choice. Unfortunately not everything goes to plan .

Like I said I really enjoyed the first part of the book, it kept my interest and I really wanted to know what was going to happen, however just over half way though I felt the story was a little dragged out and some of the scenarios were a little far fetched. I would have given the book 3.5* but have rounded this up to 4*, I thought that it could have been cut a little shorter, saying this, it didn't make it any less enjoyable and I am glad I had the opportunity to read and review it.

If you enjoy books set somewhere exotic and are a bit of fun this is a perfect read for you, perhaps on the beach with a cocktail in hand?

I would like to thank Janice Horton for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

A Night In With Marilyn Monroe
A Night In With Marilyn Monroe

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great novel by Holliday, 16 Jan. 2016
OK, so here's the thing, you have to read this novel by taking a leap of faith; of course it's absolutely barmey that a sofa could conjure up ghosts of bygone stars but if you allow yourself to imagine that it might be possible then you can just lose yourself in this fabulously wacky novel and have some fun.

The second in this series, A Night in with Marilyn Monroe is just as entertaining and funny as its predecessor A Night in with Audrey Hepburn. So glad that Lucy Holliday has continued with the marvelous Bogdan who made me laugh out loud at his lack of understanding and his unique way of expressing himself - hilarious. Dillon and preparations for the wedding of her best friend and the opening of Olly's restaurant keep this flowing nicely and of course poor Libby finds herself in all sorts of scrapes as the story moves along. It wasn't long into the novel when I was laughing out loud at the antics.

I don't like to give 'spoilers' or tell too much of the story as I am sure it detracts from the clever writing of the author so I won't but I do hope that you will read this one and enjoy it as much as I did. Keep an open mind and you'll just get carried along with the fun. You don't need to really have read the first book it's equally good and entertaining as a stand alone although Lucy Holliday does re-cap anyway.

Libby Lomax predicaments in many ways reminds me of the disastrous relationships that Bridget Jones finds herself in as she struggles with the dating game; this novel has all that but more in that it is a chick lit but also a very very funny quirky read with characters that are equally as amusing as the central character. Just loved it and can't wait to read A Night in with Grace Kelly where I do hope that Libby finds her happy ending.

Well deserved 4 stars.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

The Snowflake Valley Advice Fairy
The Snowflake Valley Advice Fairy

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant only wish it was longer, 10 Jan. 2016
This was a free ebook that I downloaded over Christmas and I am so glad that I did.

Elinor is twenty five and has just moved to Snowflake Valley, she used to love visiting as a child so when a job came up in a newspaper office in the Valley to become the advice fairy she thinks this would be the perfect job for her. As soon as she arrives Elinor thinks straight away this is not the right job for her. She even is regretting moving to the Valley. The problems she is having to answer seem impossible and her colleagues seem to hate her and constantly compare her to Trudy.

Although this is only 95 pages I really enjoyed it and it was well paced and a really easy quick read. My only negative about the book is that I wish it was a bit longer as when I was just getting into it, it felt like it was over.

Even though this is not free anymore I think this is worth it, I would recommend this to anyone who wants a short story and a little bit of romance.

Colour Yourself Calm: A Mindfulness Colouring Book
Colour Yourself Calm: A Mindfulness Colouring Book
by Tiddy Rowan
Edition: Stationery

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 8 Jan. 2016
I was given this as a Christmas present, I was so excited as this is a different colouring book and I am loving them at the moment.

This is a very different type of colouring book, for starters its hardback, which for a colouring book is quite unique.

Each page is a double page - one which has the image coloured in on. (I'm guessing this is to give you ideas?) Then on the opposite page it is black and white for you to colour. Personally I was disappointed in this. I would have preferred more pages to colour and I don't feel I need one coloured on the opposite to help me.

This is an O.K colouring book, however I would have not of bought it for me as it is not my preference. If you are a little un-confident with creativity then this maybe a good buy for you. If you are a regular colourer then I think you would want to find a different book.

Zippo the Super Hippo
Zippo the Super Hippo
by Kes Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Find your super power!, 8 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Zippo the Super Hippo (Paperback)
When this arrived for me to share with my children I couldn't wait, I knew this would appeal to them and I wasn't wrong.

This is a really cute story about a hippo, who really wishes he had a super power. His friend Roxi encourages Zippo the hippo to realise that he is special and he does have a super power, he just needs to find it.

The pair of friends go through different talents Zippo feels he has, all of which Roxi doesn't believe is a super power. Roxi suggests a new talent that Zippo may have that hasn't even thought about. Zippo practises his new talent but feels that perhaps it isn't right for him. Roxi gets Zippo to see what his talent really is.

The children I read this story to really enjoyed it, they liked to see what Zippo was going to try next. The illustrations are wonderful and the book is so colourful which helps to keep the children interested in it. All children were able to tell me if they liked or disliked the story, all of which say they liked it. They also said it is a story they would like to read again.

The Christmas Surprise (Rosie Hopkins Book 3)
The Christmas Surprise (Rosie Hopkins Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Back in Rosie Hopkins world, 30 Dec. 2015
Jenny Colgan has become a favourite for me; you know what you are going to get with her, a good storyline, good characters and a feel good factor and this novel lived up to all of those. If you have not read the others in the series it is of little importance as this could easily stand alone and Jenny does give a little update of where we are with Rosie at the start so it's easy to pick up where the previous novel left off.

There's no point in my retelling what happens and I'm not into 'spoilers' although it's not difficult to guess what will happen.

Yes it was predictable and easy to guess what was going to happen but somehow it didn't really spoil the book because the characters are so well developed and 'familiar' that the reader takes the journey with them confident that everything will always work out OK. It is a happy ever after kind of book but it is so charming, so full of descriptive narrative and realistic dialogue that you just want it all to work out for them.

All the characters from previous books are here, Lilian, Tina, the relationship between Rosie and Stephen and of course his haughty snobby mother and all the problems that come along with all the characters. We meet Pamela Stephen's sister and learn another aspect of this dysfunctional family and their dynamics which brings a welcome slant on this otherwise predictable novel.

I love Jenny Colgan's writing, in many ways she reminds me of the successful Sophie Kinsella in that she can laugh at and with her characters in such an entertaining way that reading her novels is so easy.

Breezed through this book, thoroughly enjoyable and although it was not entirely about Christmas it was a good seasonal read - definitely worth a 4 star rating.

Hello, Goodbye, And Everything In Between
Hello, Goodbye, And Everything In Between

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Dec. 2015
I have read many of Jennifer E Smith's books and enjoyed every one of them, this however I didn't enjoy as much and won't be a firm favourite of mine.

This story takes place over twelve hours, on the last night before Clare and Aidan go to college. They have been together a while, child hood sweethearts but now they are going to be at other ends of the country and Clare feels they need to break up. This is when I begin to have issues with this book. Clare and Aidan are young and they are in love but Clare seems to cynical and depressing. She is obsessed with reasons they need to break up and can't go to college as one. Aidan seems to just want to enjoy this time with her and doesn't see why they can't stay together but Clare is just so negative. It got to points in the book where I was going to put it down as I was done listening to Clare being negative. Clare I didn't warm to at all, she was easy to dislike as a character for reasons I have already mentioned , she is also not a nice friend to Stella, who was meant to be her best friend. She also seems like the cannot make a decision further in the book. This just becomes annoying.

Aidan, however I did like, there were times I felt sorry for him and he just wanted to please everyone, he has a tough time of it with his family, Clare doesn't help to support at all but just makes it about her. (College application) He also genuinely loves Clare but that love doesn't seem to be returned as it should.

This story just seemed a little immature for me at times and I really didn't like Clare, this effected my overall enjoyment of this book. I would not recommend this to anyone over about the age of 25 as I think you will become as annoyed as me reading this book. It would be a good read if you are around the age of the characters and heading off to college/university and are in a similar situation as Clare. I do enjoy Jennifer E Smith as an author and I would still want to read others by her, this however I don't feel is her strongest and I was disappointed by it.

The ACB with Honora Lee
The ACB with Honora Lee
by Kate Degoldi

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quick and Quirky read, 14 Dec. 2015
This was a really quick read, I read it in two sittings.

This is written from Perry's point of view, an eight year old. It was very easy to pick up on this from the style it was written. She makes weekly visits to her grandmother at a home in Santa Lucia. She is loosing her memory and is not sure who Perry is, as the book goes on she is still not clear on who she is, but seems to enjoy her presence.

During her visits to her grandmothers she decides to create an ABC book of all her grandmothers memories. While she does this many of the other people at the retirement home also get great joy of Perry's visits and manages to entertain them all.

Perry wants to begin at the beginning of her book and work though systematically, but the joys of the grandmother make this impossible and she jumps from letter to letter. The relationship that Perry has with her grandmother is wonderful.

The illustrations through the book are unique and quirky. I can imagine younger readers would be inspired to create their own ABC book, I know this would have been something I would have loved to make with my grandma as a child.

Other than the stoyy of creating the ABC book, the story I felt come to an end rather suddenly and I would have liked this to have been a little better developed. Saying that I would happily recommend this to others to read.

Granny's Christmas Wish
Granny's Christmas Wish

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a short break and a hot drink, 12 Dec. 2015
Out of all of Julia William's short stories this winter, this has to be my favourite. Again we meet the characters from the previous ones and I enjoyed how this one crossed over slightly with Dad's Christmas Wish.

This is from Felicity's perspective of coming to terms with her daughters death and how she deals with it over a period of a year. You are faced with raw emotion and although this is so short I felt that I was completely hooked with the story. I wish it had been a little longer actually.

This is one to add to your collection if you have bought the others. As it is only just over 30 pages I don't want to say too much as I would end up giving everything away. I did though enjoy this. The best thing was that it was also free, so make sure you check it out now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20