Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Liar
The Liar

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written but too long, 19 April 2015
This review is from: The Liar (Kindle Edition)
After the death of her husband Richard in a freak boating accident, Shelby Foxworth uncovers crippling debts that she is left to settle and the realisation that the man she loved and married was a liar, professional con-man and an adulterer. With a small daughter Callie to provide for Shelby finds herself having to move back home to her loving family who Richard had kept her from for 5 years of their marriage. Having to settle the estate she discovers Richard had over whelming debts and that her seemingly luxurious lifestyle was a sham, she is in fact penniless.

Moving back to Tennessee and Rendevous Ridge where she grew up as a child she desperately sets about making sense of all that has happened, paying off debts and making a new life for herself and Callie. She meets Griff Lott a local builder and predictably they are attracted to each other. I felt that Nora Roberts was confused about how Shelby would have or could have acted with Griff. At one point she was portrayed as being apprehensive about a relationship and the next she was portrayed as practically a man eater! It was all a bit contrived for me.

Nora Roberts sets the scene well with lovely descriptive passages of the mountainside and the little town nestled inside but for me she over eggs the pudding. I had already worked out the plot very early in the novel and the only reason I kept reading was to find out if I was right.

She split the novel in 3 parts and to be honest the most boring and unnecessary part was part two - it was so full of padding that at one point I almost lost the plot - really about 150 pages too long - the novel itself was 501 pages in total and it really did drag for me so much so that I 'skim read towards the end. I guessed the outcome before we even hit the 2nd part, in fact I had had a theory about where the jewels were hidden that I thought was better than the missing key that was being sought (don't want to give away any spoilers for those of you who want to read it so I won't say who was looking for the key) by other characters in the book.

Having worked out what was going to happen early on both with the romantic element and the plot line I really didn't have much to keep me going for best part of the book other than seeing if I was right or wrong. If it had been a much shorter novel I would be giving it 4 stars as a nice quick read, however the length and unnecessary laborious padding turned me off the novel and therefore I can only give it 3 stars which is a shame as it was well written and in some parts had beautifully descriptive passages of the countryside.

Overall not the block buster I was looking forward to and a bit disappointing.

In A New York Minute
In A New York Minute

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable but sweet, 11 April 2015
This is the first time I have read a Carroll book. Maybe I wasn't meant to start with this novella as I found it very predictable and a little rushed.

The novella is only about 25 pages long and it is very difficult to try and get a plot into that amount of pages. I found that part of the stories were very rushed. Such as the dates, I thought these could have been extremely funny and clever had they been a few pages longer.

There are many references to Sleepless in Seattle, which is a film I personally have not seen, not that this mattered. It was very easy to follow and had some lovely moments in it.

It was a cute story, but due to the length of it and the lack of development of the characters I felt I could only give it 3*. It is an ok read if you want something to fill 15 minutes.

It is also free on Amazon at the moment so really there is little to complain about.

The Little Things
The Little Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it and it's free!, 10 April 2015
This review is from: The Little Things (Kindle Edition)
By now you know I love a novella, they are great to break up larger books and allow you to slip into another world for a lunch hour or two.

Jane Costello is an author who has been popular lately and bas really taken off as a good chick lit writer and this novella is no exception to the standard of her books.

When I found 'The little things' on Amazon for free I had to make sure I snapped it up. I was not disappointed.

Hannah has a good job and is expecting a promotion at work. Her boyfriend also works for the company and as her promotion can leave to living over seas, they think this is going to be a brilliant new beginning for them. However th promotion meeting doesn't quite go to plan...

Hannah stays here while her boyfriend has been lucky enough to get a promotion and moves to Dubai, this is a stop gap, they both agree that Hannah will come and meet him out there once she has found a job. 5 months later Hannah is still jobless and her sister gives her the opportunity to be her children's nanny, until something better comes along.

This is a struggle for Hannah, she doesn't have children of her own and finds that it is more hard work than she imagined. This is extremely amusing and the way the humour has come across in this novella is brilliant. The school pick up night mares with 'yummy mummy' s' . Homework fiascos and other drama that comes along with looming after small children.

Although this is just over 120 pages, which is quite long for a novella, the story is told brilliantly and the characters are well developed. I didn't feel cheated by the length of the story as I found the characters were well created and believable .

I really loved this novella and it has really got me in the mood to read Jane's nee release. If the pace and structure is as good as this novella we are in for a treat! If you have not read this, what are you waiting for? Especially if it is still free on Amazon.

Tell No One
Tell No One

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me up all night, 6 April 2015
This review is from: Tell No One (Kindle Edition)
The second novel I have read by the brilliant Harlan Coben - I read Six Years and wanted to read another novel by this gifted writer and was asked to review Tell No One. I didn't think that this would be as good or a gripping as the first one I read by him but clearly I had mistook this prolific and talented writer.

Gripping the reader from the first paragraph again and drawing you in, Coben proceeded to take the reader on a journey that was both pacy and high octane. Loved every minute of reading this novel and yet again he managed to keep the suspense going throughout and slapping you in the face with 'I didn't see it coming' ending.

Supremely talented and I will continue to read his books in the sure knowledge that he will not disappoint and take me on a white knuckle ride that so far I have not experienced with another writer.

I could re-tell this story in precis but you don't want that; you want to experience this journey yourself unable to go to bed without reading 'just one more chapter' and realising that you simply have to stop otherwise you are in danger of not getting up for work in the morning!!

Dear Committee Members
Dear Committee Members
by Julie Schumacher

4.0 out of 5 stars Think I should have read letters a few at a time, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Dear Committee Members (Paperback)
This short novel is written entirely in a series of letters by Jason Fitger, a Professor of English and Creative writing at Payne University in America.

I really love books that have this format, either in letter or email form, they somehow seem more interesting to read, almost because you know you shouldn't be reading someone else's letters/emails. Through these letters the reader learns that the building is being redesigned, they have leaky windows, and dust is flying from the building works. A lot of the staff have already left and you are almost left to pity the staff that haven't left yet.

These letters really paint a picture of Jason, divorced, his own writing career has failed or well never really got off the ground, he is grumpy and doesn't like modern day technology. One he particularly hates is the online form of media and forums. He seems to be rarely talking to his friends and seems to have driven most of them away.

These are humors through the way they are told and sad at the same time, I love the fact that they are told through letters as this seems to be something that is dying out. I don't want to say too much about the book as it is quite short and you would be able to read this rather quickly.

Although I did really enjoy the book, it was at times hard to keep reading one letter after the other, it may have been better to read a few letters at a time and then come back to the book. This is just my own personal opinion on the book and the reason I only rate it 4 out of 5 *. At times I did find it a little bit heavy in this format all at once. Saying that if I had read a few letters at a time and returned to the book, I may have enjoyed it even more.

Mom Made Us Write This in the Summer (Max and Maggie Journal)
Mom Made Us Write This in the Summer (Max and Maggie Journal)
by Ali Maier

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a series, 23 Mar. 2015
This is a really fun book, I would say for children ages 8-12 especially for those who have siblings. This story is about Max and Maggie, 10 year old twins, who have just broken up for the summer holidays and mum has bought them a journal to write in and make sure they get along. They are required to share the journal and write in about their summer holiday, so this is written in journal format.

I really loved the format of the book and it really made it fun and interesting to read, the font inside is slightly different depending on who is doing the writing so it makes it really clear to follow and understand. I also loved all the scribbling inside, of pictures or enlarged letters, this really gave it the feel of being a journal and something that they children love to write in.

I really loved this book, although I am slightly older than 12! It is brilliant for children as it covers bickering and squabbling with a sibling, it helps them understand the thoughts that perhaps the other is having.Both Max and Maggie find it frustrating that they have to understand the others point of view, however they over come it.

I really liked the style of this book and I think it will prove to be extremely popular. Especially for long car journeys in the summer or on a plane trip. As an adult you will also enjoy it, remembering childhood memories that you may have had with your own sibling, and the doodles in the book are sure to make you giggle.

This is one book that I strongly recommend, I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

After the Storm
After the Storm

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit slow, 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: After the Storm (Kindle Edition)
This book has been really difficult for me to review. I really wanted to love it. From reading the blurb it sounded right up my street, travelling and a bit of a thriller, I was there! Unfortunately I found it very slow and very hard to finish, it has taken me weeks and weeks to read and that was just not as enjoyable as I had hoped. This was my first experience of Jane Lythell as an author and although I really wanted to read 'The Lie of You', I haven't yet got my hands on a copy. I wish now I had started with that book as it has had really great reviews.

So about the story: English couple Anna and Rob are travelling around South America, this really appealed to me as I really love to travel, especially in South and Central America. They meet Kim and Owen, an American couple who are on their way back to Florida after months of sailing. They offer Anna and Rob the chance to sail with them for the remainder of their holiday in exchange for some dollar, they take a risk by doing this. Although Anna is not keen and slightly worried about spending the last part of her holiday with two strangers on a boat, Rob manages to convince her.

So far, so good, I was really enjoying this story and I couldn't wait to find out about the journey and these 2 couples living with each other in tiny surroundings. However this is where I suddenly found the story slow, I understand that tension needed to build between the two and the story is about the developing relationships and the secrets they keep. It is a slower burner, that is the only way I can describe it. During this time we find out about the different characters and how they have made them the person they are today. I thought this was going to be more interesting than it was and I was just left wanting more.

I thought there was going to be more thrill in the book and although it was beautifully written and is very descriptive I was just left feeling a little disappointed. I thought that after all the slow burning of the plot developing that it would have been an almighty shock at the end, however I found it to be a bit of an anti climax.

Although I did find the book disappointing I would still be keen to pick up Lythell's other book, I feel that she is able to create believable and well rounded characters, the relationships between them felt real and the description in the book was good. Although I found the book too slow in pace, many will love this.

A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written novel, 21 Mar. 2015
So when this book arrived for review, my mum couldn't resist and she wanted to review it for me. Here is her review:

Such a lovely well written novel; as a Londoner and former florist who was a regular 4am visitor to old Covent Garden I could almost smell the flowers in this book. I remember the hustle and bustle of the early morning traders, cupping and blowing into my frozen fingers and feeling the warmth of tea or hot chocolate to keep out the cold, banging my frozen feet on the ground waiting while my father bartered with the sellers and then loading boxes of flowers onto our van ready to take back to our shop to sell. All these long forgotten memories came flooding back to me as I read about Flora and Rosie the little orphaned flower sellers. Good storytellers evoke memories and Hazel Gaynor definitely did this for me with A Memory of Violets.

Covent Garden has changed quite a bit now but when I was a child it must have been unchanged from the late 1800's and I could easily picture Flora and Rosie picking up fallen flowers and watercress to make into posies to sell to the gentry. Because I felt such a connection this was quite a special read for me. I loved how the whole story was bought together by Tilly Harpers' story and how she fitted into the novel to help find the missing little flower sellers' sister.

I don't want to retell the story or give away any spoilers to this beautiful heartwarming and often heart wrenching story so you'll have to trust me and read it yourself but I can say that you won't be disappointed. It is even more poignant when you remember that life really was like this for so many children at the turn of the century, never knowing if they would eat, having no where warm and safe to live, being terrified of the Work House and having to work as soon as they were able. I'm sure Flora's story was not uncommon and many young girls suffered the deprivation and hardship of poverty, many died young, lost their families and spent their lives searching for their siblings on the often cruel streets of London. This novel is so much more than a work of fiction and that is what for me makes this such a good piece of writing.

Tilly, Flora and Rosie will stay with me for a long time, I am so glad I read this book and so glad that I was not born in the late 1800's

I have to give this book 5 stars.

Beneath the Moon and the Stars
Beneath the Moon and the Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Debut, 15 Mar. 2015
When I say this on netgalley I knew I had to request it. I had heard really great things about this book, and with a cover like that it had to be brilliant.

Joy Cartier has never really been settled in life, after her parents died when she was a child, she relied on her brother Alex to bring her up. Since then she has jumped around from job to job and travelled the world, never really having anywhere she can call home though.

Joy discovers the family home she grew up in at Bramble Hill is up for sale and decides she wants to buy it. After lots of felines by the New owner, Joy decides to move back to try and persuade them.

Joy believes that she can be happy again and make a home for herself in the village. The villagers seem to disagree, they really take to hating her and start to make her life miserable. That is Everton other than Casey, who doesn't live in the village and her hot neighbour Finn. Finn feels sorry for her, although has recently had his heart broken by his wife, he does instantly want to dislike Joy, mainly for the reason she is a red head, just like his ex.

There are quite a few background stories going on in the book, Casey's relationship, Joys brothers and what is Joy actually up to? There are robberies going on, has she anything o do with these? And why is she creeping about at night?

This book I found very easy to read, unfortunately I didn't have time to read it in on or two sittings, but this didn't matter, I was able to dip in and out of it with no trouble of knowing where I was.

I enjoyed the humour that was present in the story but also loved all the emotion that surrounded the characters too. My only negative is that it was predictable, which was ok an most chick lits are, their were occasions that I got a little fed up of Finn and Joys relationship as it felt it wasn't going anywhere. This however were only the negatives I have of the book. Overall it's a warm debut novel that is written well.

I would recommend this to others as a light hearted book that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

The Glam Guide
The Glam Guide

5.0 out of 5 stars One to add to the wish list!, 7 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Glam Guide (Kindle Edition)
This book I had seen a lot of and desperately wanted to get my hands on a copy. As a blogger I have recently got into reviewing the odd beauty item and Fleur being a beauty Youtuber I was interested in her take on beauty. I have never watched any of her videos but I will now be searching for her as I enjoyed this book so much.

I really love the look of it, the front cover is just so girly and the theme follows throughout. I love the layout of the book, it is very easy to follow and has some great tips in.

Personally I love the travel part of the book, I am going away soon and I found this extremely interesting and useful. I really enjoyed reading about taking a chunky scarf on a flight even in summer, some of the ideas for the uses of it were really useful and I hadn't thought of some of the uses. I will certainly be taking a big scarf on my flight after reading this. The Glam Guide is very easy to read and the sections are short which allows you to dip in and out of this book. This is a book that I feel I will always be using as it is so useful and covers so many things a girl wants to know.

The overall look of the book is very professional, mature and clean. A lot of Youtube books seem to be attracting a younger/teenage audience. This is the first Youtube book that I have seen that has a more adult look to it and I feel the book has been targeted well for the late 20's early 30's audience. I also believe it will do very well in this age bracket.

I do have one negative about this book, (it's not actually that negative, more like an opinion) that is that I would have liked to have seen more photographs in the book. I do like the mix between illustration and photo's, however I feel it would have benefited from more high definition photographs.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20