Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Horrorstor
Horrorstor
by Grady Hendrix

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and a must for Halloween!, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Horrorstor (Paperback)
This is a very different type of book to the genre I usually read, however I was looking forward to a change and as it is October and Halloween isn't too far away I thought this was an ideal time to begin it.

Horrorstor is a book like no other I have ever read, as a rule I don't enjoy horror; this book I feel slips into other genres not just horror. I loved the humor in the book and the whole lay out of it. This type of book proves that ebooks will never replace actual books. There is so many quirky aspects to this that just wouldn't come across correctly on a screen. I feel so lucky to have had a physically copy to review.

The book looks and feels like a catalogue from a well know furniture store, throughout the book there are different furniture types that are available to buy. I love the detail and the effort that has gone into the book to create it. Dimensions, product descriptions and colour variations.

The novel is extremely easy to read and I read it in just a couple of sittings, the writing flows very well and you are hooked right from the beginning. You are only in a chapter or two and the action starts.

I loved the development of the characters and felt I was with them in Orsk that night, (wishing I wasn't) I began to really care about the characters and my thoughts on them grew the further I got into the book. The whole idea and concept of this book is a good one.

It was brilliantly clever and I loved the ending, although I felt it wasn't completely wrapped up I felt satisfied I have never read a book like this and would recommend it to everyone. Even if you don't like horror, you will enjoy this, make sure you buy the paperback copy though as I don't think you will have the same experience reading an e-copy.

This is a book that will be staying with me some time, I would love to read more from Hendrix and hoping there will be a sequel some time soon.

Lily Does LA (Girls On Tour 2)
Lily Does LA (Girls On Tour 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Can't wait for the next one!, 11 Oct 2014
This is the second installment of the 'Girls on Tour' series and I have to say that this one, Lily does LA is my favourite so far.

I love Nicola Doherty's writing, it is humourous, fun and just pure chick lit, this short story is everything her full length novels have to offer.

This is about Lily, she is a British actress, but other than having the odd commercial, ends up paying the bills by working in a call centre; waiting for her big break. Lily decides enough is enough, she can't take working where she is any longer and after being sacked for putting on accents, (which she is sure actually helps sell the product) she decides to go to LA to help her cousin plan her wedding.

Although this is a short story, so much happens in it, I felt completely satisfied reading it and loved Doherty's writing style. It is so smooth and enjoyable. For me I really enjoyed it and loved the wedding planning aspect of the story. I felt I was with Lily and fell in love with her right from thje start.

Jesse is also a bit hit with me and I adored the day they spent together, Jesse helping her run errands. I particularly love the interaction that happens between Lily and Alice's best friend, I had my mouth wide open while reading it as I could not believe what she was doing.

When writing a review for a short story it is really hard not to give the whole plot away, this is certainly a series you need to read, especially if you lobe Lindsey Kelk or Sophie Kinsella.

I cannot wait to read the third in the installment. I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Follow a Star (Choc Lit) (Little Spitmarsh Book 2)
Follow a Star (Choc Lit) (Little Spitmarsh Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lighthearted Read, 11 Oct 2014
Follow a Star is the second in a series of novels around Little Spitmarsh; I had not read the first Turning the Tide but felt that it was a capable stand alone novel.

The main character May Starling responds to a 'crew wanted' advertisement and finds herself helping to deliver a boat to Little Spitmarsh crewing alongside Bill Blythe on the Lucille.

May is trying to escape her past which is slowly revealed over the course of the novel. It has some nice rounded characters and of course the ubiquitous love interest expected in such a novel. Right from the start you feel that May and Bill are meant to be together although Bill sometimes misreads or over thinks with his judgments of May which was a bit annoying.

Lovely feeling of scene setting, I could almost taste the salty sea spray and feel the wind and mist in my hair as they took to the sea together on the lovely Lucille. It had a Cornish feel about it for me, wild, reckless and a race for May to stay one step ahead of her past following her ashore.

Nice lighthearted read, all the elements of a satisfactory novel, nicely rounded up and thoroughly enjoyable - good job Christine I am off to read 'Turning the Tide' now.

Easily a 4 star book for me, predictability prevented me giving it 5 stars but a good read nevertheless.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.

Beauty Blender Sponge and cleanser set
Beauty Blender Sponge and cleanser set
Offered by BeautySupply

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, a tad expensive though, 11 Oct 2014
So I quickly decided to give this little product a try. I love that it comes with a little soap for you to be able to clean your little beauty. The shape of this allows you to blend your make up in places that are tricky to get to. It does make your make up look smooth and does not leave any streaks etc.

Ok, so down to the product itself. When I began to 'blend' my make up with this, it did work, but unfortunately it does actually feel like it is removing your make up rather than blending it. This annoyed me slightly as make up is so expensive that you do not want a product that you feel it wasting it. At £26 (What I paid via Birchbox website) I also find this to be expensive for what it actually is, at the end of the day it is just a clever sponge, recently I have been into Wilkinson and found a very similar product, cleverly shaped but minus the soap at a mere £3.

Bio-Ionic Agave Healing Oil Treatment, 4.0 fl. oz. by Bio Ionic [Beauty]
Bio-Ionic Agave Healing Oil Treatment, 4.0 fl. oz. by Bio Ionic [Beauty]
Offered by M&E Books-USA

3.0 out of 5 stars Think would be great for someone with long hair, 11 Oct 2014
I got a sample of this is in a tube shaped bottle (like those mini perfume viles you can get) I used this as instructed on the packaging, which was to rub a small amount into the hair when it is towel dried.

I only used a tiny bit and it felt non greasy which was great! When I had long hair, whenever I would go to the hairdressers they would always put this on my hair. My hair is now short and to be honest I didn't really see any difference. This could be because my hair is short and that longer hair benefits from this more.

Shopaholic to the Stars
Shopaholic to the Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Such a disappointment, 5 Oct 2014
I have been a HUGE Sophie Kinsella fan and would shout from the rooftops how good the Shopaholic series is, however after the long anticipated wait for Shopaholic to the Stars I have been left feeling flat and bitterly disappointed.

I honestly don't know what has happened to Becky and the series, the Kinsella spark that we all know and loved seems to have gone. The last book I read by Kinsella was Wedding Night and I also felt Kinsella was beginning to get a little lost in her writing.

Kinsella had a formula for writing books, one which worked, they were funny, characters were loveable and people felt they could relate to the stories. Something has happened, especially with this book and that is a shame.

Normally when I read a Kinsella book I cannot put it down, it is read in a matter of hours. This one took me a good few weeks, this should have started to set off alarm bells for me; I was clearly not enjoying this a much as I had hoped and expected, I did stick with it as I wanted to finish it. The more I read though, the more disappointing it became.

I felt the book started well and strong, Becky was still the character we all know and love. I enjoyed reading the introduction to Tarkie and Suzie, characters that we had previously learnt about and grown to love. I also enjoyed reading about Luke's mother; however as the story progressed I became annoyed with Becky, she was behaving in an irrational and in a selfish way. A character that I once love I was beginning to dislike very quickly...

I kept with with book for the main reason I could not allow myself to give up on Kinsella and I was hoping it was going to improve. Unfortunately for me it didn't. The ending felt confused, unresolved and 'lost'. It almost felt Kinsella ran out of ideas and then just needed to end the story abruptly.

When I have read all the other Shopaholic books, I have felt satisfied at the end; they are light hearted reads that we know are going to be wrapped up nicely, this one was not this. I feel very unsatisfied and actually considering not to bother with any more that are released. This is a huge shame as I have all the Shopaholic' s taking pride of place on my bookshelf. The other thing I have been thinking since I have been reading it is, have I just grown out of them? Looking back though this is definitely not what they were like, I am considering re reading the first in the series to remind myself why I love the books so much.

Kinsella was my all time favourite authors, she is quickly slipping from this ranking. Maybe I have just had really high expectations of this book, Kinsella created those expectations though and it seems like she has lost her mojo. If you are a die hard fan like I was, I am sure you are going to read this one; if you are not and are discovering Kinsella, I would urge you not to start with this. Mainly because it is in th middle of the series but also because this is not her best, start with a stand alone or Secret Dreamworld of A Shopaholic.

Poppy Does Paris (Girls On Tour 1)
Poppy Does Paris (Girls On Tour 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to the 'Gils on Tour' series, 5 Oct 2014
I fist discovered Nicola Doherty last year when I read her novel, If I could turn back time. I absolutely loved this and when I found Poppy does Paris was also written by her, I jumped at the chance to read it.

This is a series of short stories which feature interlocking characters. Each story centres round a different character, these are all set around the world. personally I love stories that are set abroad as I have the travel bug and when I can't afford to be abroad I need to read about it!

Poppy does Paris is about Poppy, she works in publishing and she is sent to Paris to meet a famous author and hopefully clinch the deal for him to sign up to use her company. Poppy is sent along with a younger, male colleague. Poppy goes along with the intention to mix business with pleasure, when it comes to her colleague Charlie. unfortunately for Poppy, things don't quite go as she expects.

for a novella, it is a quick read, personally I thought it was long enough. I do enjoy reading novellas in between longer novels. This being the first in a series is also a great thing.

I enjoyed the story, however I was not blown away. personally I didn't think it was quite up the same standard as Doherty' s full length novels, saying that, I will be reading then others in this series.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review.

The Journey
The Journey
by Roddy Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantasy with a difference, 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Journey (Paperback)
As a primary school teacher I am always on the look out for books that I can share with my class. When Roddy contacted me via twitter I was more than happy to review this book for him. I took it into school, so apologies that it has taken so long for a review!

This book is a typical fantasy book that kids love, this book has it all from witches and wizards wanting to take over a kingdom to princesses and talking dogs. The talking dog, Dillon was a big hit with the kids, who loved him.

This book is brilliant for primary school aged children, I would suggest from year 3 upwards. Children are really excited about it and even the girls get interested. (Well the girl is a hero!)It has helped spark off imagination, which today is rare in children. From reading this story to them, it has helped them develop a love of reading.

I would recommend this to all children who love a bit of fantasy, and even those reluctant readers. I would love to discover more of Brooks and I am sure the children would too! I do hope this is the beginning of a series.

I would like to thank Roddy for sending this to me to share with my class in exchange for an honest review.

Paper Bliss
Paper Bliss
by Skye Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunningly presented book, 27 Sep 2014
This review is from: Paper Bliss (Hardcover)
I absolutely love craft books and this is no exception. This is simple stunning, the dust jacket of the book is beautiful and doubles up as patterns for some of the ideas inside the book, which is really clever. Once removed it exposes a wonderful cover to the book.

As I have already mentioned that I love any craft book, I also love any book which has a vintage theme or feel about it and again this book is just that! There is so much detail on every page and its very clear that a lot of time and effort has gone into creating this fabulous book.

Not only does this been have some great ideas in it, it also gives background info, recycling information and a toolkit that explains everything you will need in order to made some of these great crafts.

Now onto some of the great ideas, my favourite, being a book lover has to be the book sculpture. Love the inspiration paragraphs at the beginning of each idea; I feel that I have begun to know Sky Rogers as I am beginning to understand her line of thinking. Each idea is broken down into sections including What you will need, method and an idea. These are easy to follow and can be creating in very short period of time.

At the back of the book, resources are listed along with individual artists and inspiring sites. The only negative I have of this book is that all the supplies listed are based in Australia.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves to recycle, vintage or crafts. This will made a great addition to your bookshelf! A top 5* rating!

I would like to thank the publisher for ending this in exchange for an honest review.

The Dr Pepper Prophecies (Chocoholic Series Book 1)
The Dr Pepper Prophecies (Chocoholic Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by the narrator, 27 Sep 2014
I have been talking to Jennifer on twitter for some time and when she was looking for reviewers to review the audio of her book 'The Dr Pepper Prophecies' as I hadn't read the book, I was more than happy to review this for her.

Mel is in her twenties, she has a hob that is going no where, she has a string of failed relationships and she feels she is the outcast of her family. Her best friend Will seems to have it all; perfect life, job and relationship and this is something Mel wants. Mel has hated all the girlfriends he has ever had and the current one is no exception.

I thought the first half of the book was a lot funnier than the second part. Some of the moments were laugh out loud.

There were at times I thought the book was a little slow, this could be down to the narrator though. One thing I did wonder is when this story is meant to be set. Many references in the book come from things from maybe 10 years ago. T.V shows and more emphasis on emails and instant messages rather than texts and up to date shows. This is only an observation and didn't make a difference to the story.

Something that annoyed me about the audio book is the lady who delivers the story. Another observation I had is that she seems to emphasize adverbs used, which when there are many in a few sentences together becomes irritating. If I had read the book, I am not sure I would have noticed this so much; so this for me was down to the narrator. She also didn't seem to always take notice of punctuation as many times I felt it didn't flow well. This also I feel would not have been the case; had I read the text.

Finally any of the online messages sent and received were really annoying, the narrator constantly says NY Alien says.. Confused says... etc to be honest during this part of the audio book I switched off as I'm not even concentrating on what is being said just constantly waiting for the narrator to say it again. This is a little unfair judgement but when you are listening to the audio book this is something that really stands out.

The review rating I have given is a representation of the audio book as this is what I was sent to review. I wouldn't listen to the audio book again, however I would happily read the book for myself.

I would like to thank Jennifer for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20