Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Great Christmas Knit Off
The Great Christmas Knit Off

4.0 out of 5 stars A Heartwarming Tale, 14 Nov 2014
This is the first book I have ever read by Alexandra Brown, I knew she was very popular but other than thank I had no idea what to expect.

First thing I must say is that her ability to write about the setting and make the reader fall in love with it was incredible. I felt like I was in Tindledale with the characters and actually wished I was. She made the setting sound wonderful with it being welcoming and warm.

I loved the community feel about the book. Living in a town, I don't have that, you are unusual normally if you know the person who lives next door to you. Where as in Tindledale neighbours are friends and rally round to help each other. I loved that everyone tried to help Hetti, people she didn't even think would care did and this is what made all the characters really likable.

Sybil has a good job in the city, her husband to be however ran off with her sister and she has made a huge mistake at work involving a lot of money and is going to cost the tax payer thousands. she needs to get away and somewhere far. She has some friends who own the pub in a little village called Tindledale. They are always saying she must come and visit. The fact that she can't get hold of her won't matter, she will love to see her. So Sybil jumps on the train and heads off.

It doesn't take Sybil long to fall in love with Tindledale. Everything is so warm and welcoming there, well minus the power cut when she arrives and the lack of her friend there... she gets offered a room at a local B&B. The owner is so wonderful, takes the time to listen to Sybil and helps her find her was around. He really takes an interest in her and wants to help her out.

I hear that this is the first in a series of Tindledale and I would be interested in reading others. This was a lovely heartwarming tale. I would also like to read about Tindledale in the summer as I think the setting would be just as beautiful.

For me this was a different type of Christmas read, but one I enjoyed.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Until You're Mine
Until You're Mine

4.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling read, 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Kindle Edition)
This is a psychological thriller with some good characters that hold the plot together however the author does throw in a few random happenings which don't altogether fit with the flow of the novel.

For the best part it was a good thrilling read; I didn't guess the 'who dunnit' at the end and for me that was a bonus. All along the author is leading you to believe one person is responsible and then throws a curve ball and the last few lines of the book are genius.

Three main characters dominate this novel; Zoe the Nanny, Claudia pregnant with her first child and mother to James' (he's a naval officer and away a lot) two sons Oscar and Noah, and Lorraine a CID officer who is investigating some gruesome murders of pregnant women in the area. The author uses different narrative types - first person when she is being Claudia and Zoe and third person when she is being Lorraine.

The book has good pace and has enough tension and subtle clues to keep the reader moving along and guessing until the end.

I did feel that one part of the story didn't really fit in and that was when we learnt the naval officer husband has been involved in some shady goings on (I don't want to give anything away so won't reveal what). I just felt that this wasn't necessary to the story line and couldn't understand why Samantha Hayes felt it necessary to put it in. I also felt the introduction of the detectives' daughter was irrelevant and not necessary to the story in any way since the reader was not meant to connect with this character and was not vital to the plot.

As with most of these genres of novels it does stretch credibility but for all that it was entertaining and for the best part a gripping read.

It would be easy to retell the story in this review but if I told you I'd have to kill you (only joking); read it an enjoy it. If you liked Gone Girl then this will appeal. For me it just lacked totally bringing together in parts which is what let it down but even with that it was a good thrilling read and I would read this author again. I give this 4 stars because the last line of the book is brilliant, creepy and totally unexpected.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review.

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 9 Nov 2014
Maud is 82, her best friend Elizabeth is missing but no one seems to care. The problem Maud has is that she can't remember, she doesn't know where Elizabeth is but she is going to get to the bottom of it.

Maud has to write things down, if she doesn't she will forget completely, Larry though, she can't seem to remember why she has written theses things. None of them make any sense. Maud has been trying to contact Elizabeth for weeks now, she has not been in contact about their weekly meetings and whenever she tires to contact her, she never gets to deal to her. Maud has a horrible feeling something has happened to Elizabeth and she needs to discover what.

This situation with Elizabeth provokes of memories for Maud, years ago her sister Suki disappeared and no one knew what happened to her. The story slips back and forth from th past to the present day. We read about Maud as a young girl and watch the story developed with her sister Suki.

As the story progresses, so does Maud' s dementia and it is a dreadfully sad story to hear. (I listened to the audio book.) There are really sad parts to the story, that had me in tears. From having a family member who had dementia, it bought it home to me how scared and confused they must have been.

I thought that this story was extremely clever and the way it was told was wonderful. Anna was a perfect narration choice, she really gave the characters depth.

This is not an easy read/listen but it makes you stop and think about those people with dementia and gives you a snapshot of how they could be feeling. I also could fee Helen's ain through the book, having to deal with her mother going through this. The story is certainly thought provoking and powerful.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this audio book and would recommend it to others. The story itself crosses a few genres I feel and would appeal to a wide range of audiences.

I had like to thank Audible for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Lagoon
Lagoon

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 8 Nov 2014
This review is from: Lagoon (Kindle Edition)
I am always happy to read most books, I am open to different genres I have not read, and always give them a go.

I have yet to find a Sci-fi book that I like, to be honest I think that maybe this is just a genre not for me. This book also unfortunately falls into this category.

This is a novel where aliens descend on Lagos. Aliens set up a camp under the sea and strange species appear in the water. Suddenly a huge wave crashes over the beach and three people are swept up into it. Then they are returned there are four...

The novel is told through many voices, this was a little confusing I found at times as some are only present for a chapter or so, where as others seem more permanent. I also found it hard to believe, some of the chapters were told through voices of creatures. This is probably the part of my brain that tells me this cannot be. Hence I am not a Sci-fi fan and struggle to believe it. For this reason I struggled with the book a lot, I eventually gave up with it and did not enjoy it.

I thought the story was well written and the author is very knowledgeable, however this book was not for me. I am sure Sci - Fi fans will love it though.

It Must Have Been the Mistletoe
It Must Have Been the Mistletoe

5.0 out of 5 stars A feel good read, 8 Nov 2014
I was really excited to be able to be part of Judy Asltey's blog tour for this wonderful Christmas book.

This has been one of the first Christmas books I have read this year and it really got me into the festive mood, I didn't even mind if it was only October when I was reading it!

This story is about Thea and her family; they are staying in Cornwall for the Christmas period and I could imagine myself there. This for me had a personal touch to it, when I was growing up I spend a lot of time down in Cornwall as my grandparents loved there. We went for summers and Christmas's some year. I must admit that was my favourite time of year to visit. Although it was cold, it was also cosy and I miss the coal fire smell even today. I loved that this book transported me back to Cornwall and wish that I would be able to spend this year down by the sea for Christmas!

I loved this story, it wasn't too long which also I thought was nice, it wasn't rushed and I felt that I could lap it up, the setting, the plot and the characters I just loved it. This story really had the magical feeling with it.

Thea's parents are getting a divorce but have organised this festive holiday for the whole family. Thea's life has not been plane sailing, she is a school teacher and mourning the loss of a baby, who was expected this Christmas. All the characters in this story are believable and likable, which makes this a very quick read as I just wanted to know what was going to happen with them all.

The novel centres around the family and at Christmas time family is the most important thing. It is about adapting to situations and knowing your family is always there for you. I also loved the book boyfriend in this book, uhum, the surfer landlord... no more needs to be said!

This has been the first Judy Astley book I have read, however it will not be my last. This was a nice easy read, one which left me feeling warm inside and wishing Christmas would come early!

Montagne Jeunesse Green Tea Peel Off Face Masque
Montagne Jeunesse Green Tea Peel Off Face Masque
Offered by Beauty Store Uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this!, 28 Oct 2014
It was really easy to apply and dried quite quick.

I loved the smell of this mask it was to die for! Once I had removed the mask I could see my skin looking radiant , my skin was so smooth.

I will be buying this again in the future

KMS California Hair Play Dry Wax 150ml / 5.1 fl.oz.
KMS California Hair Play Dry Wax 150ml / 5.1 fl.oz.
Offered by cs hairdressing

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the price, 28 Oct 2014
Recently I have had to have my hair cut really short; I have struggled with styling my hair as I have always had long hair and unsure what to do with it.

This product is perfect for short hair! This allows me to add texture and style my hair, without putting a lot of wax or mouse in it. Which in the past has left my hair greasy looking or made it rock solid and completely unnatural.

This is really easy to use, a few sprays and your hair is transformed. What I love about this product is that although you are putting a product in your hair. It does not leave your hair sticky, greasy or hard.

I have only used this product a couple of times so far, but what I have seen I like. If I continue to get these types of results with this product, I will certainly be purchasing this again.

It is a little expensive, however I have yet to find a product this similar on the high street. I think this product is worth the money.

Balance Me Face Daily Essentials Cleanse & Smooth Face Balm 125ml
Balance Me Face Daily Essentials Cleanse & Smooth Face Balm 125ml
Offered by Advanced healthcare Products

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Product, 28 Oct 2014
This product smells divine! I was so surprised with the smell as I could not believe a product could smell that good! Once applied onto the face, the product feels like it is tinging on the skin; something that I really loved.

When applied it does feel quite greasy, I was worried that it was going to leave my skin greasy once removed. I should not have been as I was left with wonderful smooth and silky skin.

I will certainly be purchasing this product again. It is a little pricey, but I think it is worth it.

Montagne Jeunesse Black Seaweed Peel Off Masque
Montagne Jeunesse Black Seaweed Peel Off Masque
Offered by Montagne Jeunesse

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the smell, 28 Oct 2014
I love face masques, there is nothing better than relaxing with a cup of tea and a book with a face masque on. I also love peel off masques as this allows me to concentrate on other things and just peel it off when I am done.

This peel off masque I was really drawn to as I have heard that seaweed is really good for your skin, when I saw it was peel off too I had to have it!

I found it was really easy to apply and dried relatively quick. The masque as like all peel off masques are really easy to take off.

This face masque left my skin really clear and smooth, I was very happy with the result. One negative I have of this product is that I don't like the smell of it at all. Unfortunately I found this to be one of the worst that I have used to date.

The Twelve Dates of Christmas: The Complete Novel
The Twelve Dates of Christmas: The Complete Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant novel by Dickenson, if you have not discovered her yet - where have you been?!?!, 26 Oct 2014
I first discovered Dickenson earlier this year, when I had the opportunity to read You had me at Merlot. I absolutely loved it and so when I got asked if I would like to read The Twelve Dates of Christmas I jumped at the chance.

This story follows Claudia who is bored with her job and has had little luck in love. The story begins with her on a date her boyfriend Seth. In true Dickenson style the first few pages are a riot.it leaves Claudia realising Seth is no longer for her and she should move on. As the month of December progresses so does the number of dates Claudia goes on. Each one as entertaining as the one before.

The Twelve Dates of Christmas is certainly a Christmas tale that you need in your life this Christmas, it has everything out could want from a book. There is everything in a chick lit, romance, Christmas and humour. I raced through this book, just as I did with Dickenson' s previous story.

I loved how I didn't know what was going to hand and when I thought I finally knew. There was another twist in the tale. There was so much reference to Christmas in the book and the descriptions were perfect, this is something I loved! I was able to transport myself to December in October which I loved.

I have now read both f Dickenson' s novels and would like to read more from her. She is. Brilliant author and if hi have not yet discovered he yet, this is the time to now!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20