Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Johnny's Girl
Johnny's Girl

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it, 28 July 2015
This review is from: Johnny's Girl (Kindle Edition)
Paige Toon is one of my favourite authors and when I knew she was writing a novella as a sequel for Baby Be Mine I knew I would have to read it. I have read it quite late actually, it came out over a year ago but I decided to wait so I could read her YA book based on these characters after. I am glad I read them in the correct order and that I fit the short story in before, this helped me remember what had happened and got back up to speed with the characters.

During this short story we get to meet the characters again, Meg and Johnny are living in England, (where Meg is from) but his work is driving them back to the States. After having a holiday over there Meg realises that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to move back again.

I really loved this novella, it was fun and hooked you straight in, even if you haven't read the other two books you would be able to fill in the blanks. On the other hand though, why would you not of read the other two? They are pretty fantastic!

One thing I love about Paige's books is that they seem to all connect in some way or another, I liked the added bonus of hearing about Alice and Joseph Strike, I always think that reading a Paige Toon novel is like a hug in a mug, you feel warm when you read her books and that you're at home. This novella for me was no exception.

After reading this novella I was well equipped to begin The Accidental Life of Jessie Jefferson, and cannot wait to begin, I feel like I have had a small taster of what is in store and I love it. This novella was only about 100 pages but I whizzed through it and if that is anything to go by then I know I will be finishing the two YA's in no time at all.

The added bonus is that this ebook is free at the moment so you have no excuse not to grab yourself a copy.

Well done Paige for me you have done it again, loved every minute of it.

IN THEIR SHOES: FAIRY TALES AND FOLKTALES
IN THEIR SHOES: FAIRY TALES AND FOLKTALES

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely addition to anyone's fairy story collection, 27 July 2015
This little book is just beautiful! The cover is stunning, the gold shoes glisten in the light and parts of it are embossed. Although this is marketed for the children's audience adults will enjoy this little gem just as much.

This is a collection of short stories, which are all old fairy tales or folktales from around the world. When reading, some of these I did find shocking, considering they are for children. In example The Red Shoes by Hans Christian Anderson has moments of gore and horror in it.

My favourite story was The Story of Yexian, this is the earliest known to date story of Cinderella, set in China. Although it is different to the Cinderella we know today, you can quite clearly see the similarities of it.

Some of the stories I found a little difficult to follow and my attention began to drift. However, I enjoyed the majority of the stories, just at times I couldn't believe how dark they were, saying that though the Grimm Brothers are well known for their dark fairy tales.

If you are a fairy tale lover this is certainly a little book to add to your collection. I liked how short the book was as a whole but included a lot of stories. These are perfect for reading just before you go to be as they are short enough for you to enjoy a whole story before falling asleep!

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Sing No Evil
Sing No Evil
by J. P. Ahonen

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 26 July 2015
This review is from: Sing No Evil (Paperback)
I really wanted to begin to get into graphic novels, this is a genre I have only stumbled across a handful of times. Recently I have had a bit of a block with reading and really wanted to get back into it, I thought that choosing a graphic novel may help as they are quicker to read and easy.

When I was offered the chance to review Sing No Evil, I knew nothing about it but thought I would give it a go. I am glad I did, I think for those of you who don't read this genre a lot this is a good one to begin with. The illustrations are cartoon-like and have a lot of detail in them. I also liked the colouring of the images, they were autumnal colours throughout, the story is also set during autumn and I thought this was a nice touch. Although the colours are mainly browns and reds, do not let that put you off. The images are wonderful!

Anyway back to the story...

There are some characters in this story that I just counldn't warm too, Aksel's girlfriend for one, she just seemed to spend her whole time complaining, she isn't in the book much and she really doesn't come across well, to me anyway... Aksel is a guitarist and songwriter for the bank Perkeros, he is a perfectionist and it has actually come to the point where he is becoming obsessive with the band and their success. This is a struggle that they have to go through with, growing up, studying, but also creating posters, album covers, getting gigs etc.

I liked that there were jokes throughout the book that were amusing and kept the story light.

My favourite character was Lily, she felt like she was the rock of the band and always trying to gain them more success.

O.K so here are the bits I didn't understand...

About 50 pages or so from the end the story almost turns into a complete different story. There is more of a fantasy element that arises, this is just a bit weird. I didn't think it fit in with the story and I don't really see what the point of it was. To be honest during this part I actually got a little lost, I didn't know what had happened to Lily and where the story was then going. I also was disappointed with the ending of the story. Throughout the graphic novel I felt something between some of the characters and I was hoping it was going to end in the way I expected. It didn't and for me that was a disappointment - I guess I am used to reading predictable novels!

Overall I enjoyed this graphic novel - my first paperback one! I would recommend this for first time readers of graphic novels and after reading this I am interested in reading others.

Why We Broke Up
Why We Broke Up

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 24 July 2015
This review is from: Why We Broke Up (Kindle Edition)
After hearing so much about this book, when I got the opportunity to review it I jumped at the chance. Right from the beginning this really sounded interesting, I loved the fact there were illustrations throughout indicating things that had been collected in the relationship.

To be honest I really found it difficult to get into this book, I could not warm to the characters and I really did not enjoy the writing style. Everything was in the first person and I found it a little immature at times. The narrator - Min got repetitive and annoying. I really disliked her as a character, no matter how hard I tried to like her I just couldn't.

Almost every chapter ended with 'that's why we broke up'. This got a little tedious after the first few chapters. I also found it was a little boring and long winded.

I know I am probably completely unlike most people who have read this book, who seem to have given it great reviews but this was not for me. The only thing I really liked was the illustrations, which broke the story up. I really don't like writing negative reviews about books, but I feel it is important to give my honest review and unfortunately this was not for me.

Sunshine and Spaniels (A novella) (Primrose Terrace Series, Book 2)
Sunshine and Spaniels (A novella) (Primrose Terrace Series, Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable series, 19 July 2015
This is the second in the Primrose Terrace series, I have only just finished the first int he series, so grabbed the second to begin straight away. I am glad I read these so close together as the characters have been fresh in my mind and I was looking forward to the next in the series.

During this part of the series, we begin to get to know other characters that also like in Primrose Terrace, these have connections to Cat and when she finds out one of her neighbours - Frankie, needs some help, she wants to lend a hand. I really loved reading about the meeting of Emma and Cat, I enjoyed hearing about how they knew each other (the nursery) this I felt made the two novellas link nicely and if being read as a whole novel would not feel out of place.

The story flowed really well and in this part I really thought like I was getting to know the characters well. I am enjoying the characters develop through the series and having two major men on the scene - Joe (Polly's brother) and Mark, I am unsure of what is going to happen, however I am not sure about Mark, something is not quite right about him!

I am enjoying this series, my only negative is that we have to wait so long for the next installment, I think that this would read better as a whole book, as from reading the second one, there was no gentle introduction etc, this had all been covered well in part 1. I think leaving is so long to read the next one, you may forget certain parts.

Claire's Girls and Womens Hot Spring Sauna Face Mask in Orange
Claire's Girls and Womens Hot Spring Sauna Face Mask in Orange
Offered by Claires Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed, 19 July 2015
This was the first time I have used a self heating mask before, I have always been a little worried by them, not knowing how hot it was going to get. I decided to give it a go and I am so glad I did. From taking this out of the packet I found it quite globby and it began to heat straight away. From rubbing it onto my face I noticed it was quite gravelly, this gave my skin an exfoliation as well as a deep clear. I was really impressed with this.

When I removed the mask my skin was left feeling soft. I would use this face mask again.

Montagne Jeunesse Blueberry And Cranberry Mask
Montagne Jeunesse Blueberry And Cranberry Mask
Offered by Direct Pharmacy

4.0 out of 5 stars Left my skin feeling very smooth, smelt delicious!, 19 July 2015
This face mask, just like all other Montagne Jeunesse masks are easy to apply and give you just the right amount for your face. It was very thick when applying it and it smelt delicious! I removed this in the shower, which I prefer to do. (I can make sure I have completely removed all traces of the mask!) It left my skin feeling smooth.

I was hoping that it was going to help my skin, I used this around the time of the month and I was hoping it would help my breakout. To be honest, I didn't actually notice a difference to my skin other than it feeling very smooth. It could be that I would need to apply it a lot more to see affects of the product.

I think this face mask would be great for dry skin. I don't actually suffer from this and maybe this is why it didn't seem to do anything for me.

The Stereotypical Freaks
The Stereotypical Freaks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for your first graphic novel, 14 July 2015
This was the first graphic novel I have read. I have been wanting to get into this genre for a while, but I have been unable to find something that I thought would like. This sounded more like me.

As soon as I began to read this, I loved the songs that were suggested for each chapter, I thought that this was a really nice touch and the author had obviously thought long and hard about what song would suit that part of the story.

This was extremely easy to read and I read it in one sitting. To begin with I found it a little hard to work out what type of characters they were, after reading further into the graphic novel this became clear. Although I would say this novel is aimed at older teenagers, I think that it would be suitable for younger viewers. There are parts within the graphic novel, where there is no text, I didn't think you actually needed it as the images were able to carry the story by themselves.

I thought this was a good graphic novel and if you are like me and haven't red any before, a good one to start with. It covers sensitive subjects in 'real' ways and with a lot of respect.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review and I would recommend to others.

Wellies and Westies (A novella) (Primrose Terrace Series, Book 1)
Wellies and Westies (A novella) (Primrose Terrace Series, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot wait for the next in the series, 12 July 2015
When I found out this was going to be a series of novellas I knew I had to read it. By now you will know my love with novellas, they are perfect for busy days and when you can only give yourself half an hour to read. This is perfect for those occasions, you get to feel satisfied after a short period of reading and cannot wait for the next installment of the series.

The first think that I thought when I saw the cover for this series was, how beautiful! Each and every installment has a beautiful cover, which just makes me want to read it even more!

I love how easy this novella was to read, only after the first few pages I was in love with Cat, who works in a nursery but makes a huge mistake when she takes her puppy to work with her one day. Unfortunately for Cat the day goes from bad to worse and she ends up fired. After feeling sorry for herself and a chat from her best friend she decides to become a dog walker and begins to set up her own business. I think it is ever so hard to build relationships between the characters and the reader in such a short space of time but McLaughlin manages to pull it off and have you the reader rooting for Cat from the first few pages.

I love how the book is set round a small community and I would love to like in Primrose Terrace, I began to love all the characters that were introduced to me and through development they all have separate stories that mix together.

This is a must summer read this summer, perfect for those moments in the garden or lazing by the pool, it is funny, light and lovable. I really cannot wait for the others in the series.

Art History Paper Dolls
Art History Paper Dolls
by Kyle Hilton

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, 12 July 2015
When I saw this I knew I wanted a copy. This for me has many uses, I love art, history and I am a teacher. This book is brilliant for making art history for kids fun. There are interesting facts and quirky parts to cut out and stick on the dolls.

I love the fact that this books takes you through art history, with the art movements and famous artists. I honestly cannot say a bad word about this book and it makes it fun for kids too. Even as an art fanatic there were a few artists I was unsure of, this book encouraged me to find out more about them and research their work.

I would love to get more of these books to help teach history.

This is a well and truly awesome book, it is great for any age. I will be recommending this to other teachers and my friends. My review can not do this book justice, you just have to get it to see for yourself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20