Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Content by mrsb2011

mrsb2011

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
Geeks Go Greek (Summer Flings, Book 4)
Geeks Go Greek (Summer Flings, Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars fun and flirty, 17 Sep 2014
This is the fourth adventure in the 'Summer Flings' series. This time
Ciara, Elle and Gem and in Santorini.

I am in two minds about this part of the series.

This part really sees Ciara and Zacks relationship develop. It is beautifully written and I really enjoy getting to know Zacks character in more depth; as I feel this is the first time we really get to find out who he is.

I also really liked Gem's voice in this part. I felt she too I beginning to become more developed as a character. I loved her story line with a hunk that Ciara and Elle think is gay.

I was however really disappointed that we didn't get to 'feel' Santorini. We only get a snippet of the scenery and I personally felt that the girls could have been on any Mediterranean island. There was reference to the food, but I thought there could have been not on the scenery. This is just. Personal opinion, and coming from a travel enthusiast it's probably not surprising I would want more about the island in there!

Geeks Go Greek is the steamist novella in the series far and it actually took me by surprised as I was not expecting that to be one of the main focuses, but not on the girls adventures.

This novella I thought is not the best in the series but necessary for the story to develop. I cannot wait for the girls next stop in Ibiza!

I would like to thank Aimee for sending me this in exchange for an honest review

Point Us to Paris (Summer Flings, Book 3)
Point Us to Paris (Summer Flings, Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Paris!!!, 15 Sep 2014
This is the third book in the Summer Flings series. I have really enjoyed travelling a long with the girls on their holiday around the world.

Saying this, unfortunately this was not my favourite novella. Point us to Paris, like the others in the series starts where they left off. This really helps the stories flow and give it potential to create a large book, rather than novellas. Personally I love the novella as they are perfect for commuting or when you have a spare half an hour to really feel you have achieved something.

I have really enjoyed following Ciara, Elle and Gem on their adventure. Paris is.not one of my favourite places though and I was a little disappointed that this was going to be the setting for this episode in the series. I shouldn't have been worried though, we don't get to hear about Paris as in landmarks or life.

During this part of the adventure, k feel I am beginning to know Elle a little better and I am hoping she felt develops as a character as the series progresses.

I found Zack and Ciaras storyline to be a little predictable, but I didn't mind as I am enjoying it so much.

Next stop is Greece and I certainly expect more drama from the girls and can't wait to be whisked away with them again!

Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings, Book 2)
Misbehaving in Miami (Summer Flings, Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars wanting to pack my suitcase and join the girls, 14 Sep 2014
This is the second in the 'Summer Flings' series and I must say my favourite so far. I felt in this instalment we get to know Ciara really well, and she is still the girl I feel I connect the most with.

This novella starts just as Trouble in Tinseltown finishes. We begin at chapter 4 and continue the journey the girls are on. I am really loving how this story has been broken down into chunks, this is something that I am not normally keen on, I feel though it really suits the story. I enjoy discovering a new place along with the girls in different novellas.

Ciara is a brilliant character, she is likable an d believable. I still feel that I don't kbow Gem and Elle as well as I should. I am hoping that as the series progresses their characters will be developed.

I feel that out of the three girls Ciara is most like me, she is on holiday and although short is enjoying the guys, weather and bars. She also wants to explore these beautiful places. She is also still thinking about Zack, Elle' s very handsome cousin. She cannot believe her luck when he shows up in Miami.

These novellas do have to be read in order, there are spoilers if you reaffirm out of order. It also cannot be read as a stand a lone.

I cannot wait to read the next in the series. I would like to thank Aimee for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review.

Trouble in Tinseltown (Summer Flings, Book 1)
Trouble in Tinseltown (Summer Flings, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun, quick novella, 14 Sep 2014
Trouble in Tinseltown is the first in the Summer Flings series by Aimee Duffy. This is the first I have read by her and I enjoy her writing style.

This is a very short novella at around 40 pages and made this a perfect read for me travelling. I enjoy novellas that allow me to immerse myself in and I fell like the story has been concluded during a short period. Lately I have become quite busy and it is hard for me to find the time to read a book cover to cover. Novellas I find allow me to do this.

This story is about three girls who are off to travel the world and enjoy life while they are young. Elle has a rich grandfather who has many properties around the world and has allowed Elle and her friends to stay. Ciara is the more down to earth girl and comes from a different background to Gem and Elle.

I would say being so short we really get thrown into the action of the story, which I loved. The downside of this though I felt I didn't know the characters that well, however as the story developed I felt I got a better 'feel' for who the girls are.

This little novella packs a lot in. We have relationships, friendships, brushes with the law,and drama.

As the novella is so short I don't want to say too much about it, other than this is one to have on you for that commute or on holiday. I cannot wait to read the next instalment and follow the girls around the world. (Wishing I was with them!)

The Weight of Blood
The Weight of Blood

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping debut, 13 Sep 2014
This is a psychological thriller set in the town of Henbane in the Ozark Mountains Arkansas. It centers around the Dane family spanning two generations opening when Lucy's friend is found murdered. She is haunted by the loss and mystery surrounding the murder and is reminded of her own mothers' disappearance when she was just a child. Lucy feels bound to find out what happened to both her friend and her mother.

The story in the main is told by both Lucy and her mother Lila and the author jumps from past to present using this split narrative throughout the novel to bring the two halves together thus solving the mysteries and conclude the story.

There are some good sound characters in this story with detailed scene and mood setting, add this to the very closely tight knit community complete with mistrust of outsiders, secrets and superstitions and you have a recipe for a good psychological thriller. McHugh does not disappoint; this is a well written novel with just the right amount of pace and suspense to keep the reader going right to the end.

We open with Lucy the daughter of Lila who has grown up in Henbane; she is upset about the disappearance of a school friend Cheri whose dismembered body is eventually discovered a year later hanging in a tree. Lucy is haunted by having worried about Cheri but not having done anything to find her. What happened to her and where she was for a year was the topic of conversation all through the spring but once the shock and fear of a killer being on the loose subsides her death fades and she is all but forgotten.

We first meet Lila when she arrives in Henbane in answer to a job vacancy signing a two year contract to work on the Dane farm; an orphan after her parents died in a car crash, she has been through the foster care system and is desperate to belong somewhere with people she can trust. She was passed from foster home to foster home until she reaches an age where she is old enough to find her own way. She learnt at an early age not to trust men having had to fend off sexual advances from the many foster fathers and sons' she found herself placed with while going through the 'system' which resulted in her moving seven times in six years.

Lila's foster sister Crystal said they got moved around so much because they were pretty and had big boobs, foster moms didn't want them tempting their husbands and sons. McHugh tells us that Lila is a hypnotic mystical looking creature, dark black hair and piercing ice green eyes, someone that people feel drawn to. She arrives in Henbane and is taken to a remote farm miles from the nearest town and although apprehensive she knows that she has no where else to go and has to make this work. She works both on the farm and as a waitress in Crete Dane's restaurant/cafe where she befriends another waitress Gabby and they become good friends. Lila also meets Carl Dane, Crete's younger brother and in time they become close. Locals mistrust strangers and Lila is no exception, having no family and reluctant to talk about her past, the town believes she had been cast out of her own community, rumor spreads that she is a witch.

The story does alternate between the two main characters going back and forth in time but McHugh does this very well and is able to maintain continuity so that the reader does not feel lost or confused. I enjoyed the story and the secrets that come out over the course of the book, the tight knit community and strong bonds that bind family loyalties comes through well.

It would not be fair to reveal more of the story so I won't but I would encourage others to read it for themselves and enjoy the journey of loyalty, secrets, truth and consequences. I would give this an easy 4 stars for an enjoyable first novel, Laura McHugh looks like one to watch!

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this copy in exchange for an honest review.

Stationery Island Liquid Chalk Markers - 8 colours [Wallet of 8pcs] (Wet Wipe Erase - 3mm nib) - 60 Day Money-Back Guarantee!
Offered by Stationery Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - better than expected!, 31 Aug 2014
Excellent! Bought these for use on a window. Tested them on a mirror at first, expected to have to use a damp cloth to erase, this was not needed as rubs off with a dry cloth.

Colours are excellent and really bright. I would recommend these to others. I am just hoping they last a long time.

Dear Daughter
Dear Daughter

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed, 25 Aug 2014
This review is from: Dear Daughter (Kindle Edition)
Dear Daughter is a difficult book to review I feel as to begin with I found it a bit of a struggle to get into. I felt that I didn’t give myself enough time to get into it and this spoiled my enjoyment in the beginning. Saying this I loved the way the story was laid out.

Janie has just been released from prison for murder; murdering her mother. The thing is, she has no memory for ever killing her; the evidence was stacked against her and so it was a done deal. Janie used to be a socialite and always in the media. Now she has been set free, she is trying to dodge the paparazzi, the media and try to find out the truth about who killed her mother.

I love how throughout the book as a reader we learn more about Janie through the eyes of the media, via newspaper clippings, the internet, police reports and family trees. I thought this was really clever and kept the reader interested. It felt you were helping Janie along the way to discover the truth.

As I was reading this book, I kept thinking this should be a book that I cannot put down. It has everything in it that would make me want to read and sounds right up my street. Janie however is not a likable character and I cared for her very little, this also made it hard for me to get through the book and this disappointed me as I had such high hopes for it. Little is excellent at characterisation and I think intended Janie to not be likable.

This book is really hard to review without giving away too much and I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. If you like Gone Girl this should be a book you enjoy, there is a little crime and mystery; I doubt if you will see the ending coming. This is certainly a clever book and a very good debut novel.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

My Sort-of, Kind-of Hero
My Sort-of, Kind-of Hero

5.0 out of 5 stars Chick Lit with a difference, 25 Aug 2014
When I was contacted by Emily offering me her book to review, I jumped at the chance, this sounded just up my street. Emily is a new author to me and since reading My Sort of Kind of Hero I would definitely want to read more from her.

This is a brilliant chick lit book, it is light and fun. I love the story line of this book, I could visually see it all coming together and the characters were brilliant. This is a story about Etty, she is a struggling writer who has been knocked back several times by publishers and every time she goes to a book signing she hopes there are more people there than just her parents.

The scene in the book store is actually one of my favourites in the book. I love it! I could see it all happening and I felt sorry for Etty waiting for customers to come and ask her to sign her book. I love the glimmer of hope she gets from a boy and later finds out it’s just her friend being kind and trying to support her. This is such an easy read; it was perfect, it had such a good balance of humour, romance and seriousness.

They way the story is written it is predictable but I didn’t mind that in the slightest, I enjoyed reading the story and was racing through the pages, I wanted to see Etty’s relationship develop and want to see her career become a success. I felt that I was able to connect well to Etty, she is my age and trying to create a career for herself of something she has always wanted to do and just needs a break.

Although this is a chick lit book, it is a chick lit with a difference, romance is evident in the book but not in the conventional way.

I would strongly recommend this book to slip into your suitcase this summer for on your holiday, its light, fun and a quick read. After reading this you are going to want to discover more from Harper. I am just sad that it has taken me this long to discover her and that this book is over!

I would like to thank Emily for supplying me with this copy, this has been exchange for an honest review.

Confessions
Confessions
by Kanae Minato

5.0 out of 5 stars A shocking read, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: Confessions (Paperback)
When I spotted `Confessions' I thought this sounded brilliant. I love a good thriller and being set in/around a school I thought it appealed to me as it sounded a little different. Being just over 200 pages I knew this was going to be a quick read; I didn't anticipate just how quick of a read this was going to be. All I can say is wow! This book blew me away!

This is the first time I have ever read a Japanese translated book and I was unsure what to expect in relation to the translation; some books that have been translated that I have read; have not been that good. This was practically perfect and I would have struggled to realise it had been translated if it wasn't mentioned.

A middle school teacher Yuko Moriguchi decides on the last day of term to announce she is retiring and tells her students one of the reasons she has decided to retire is down to the tragic `accident' of the death of her four year old daughter at the school. Moriguchi, however knows it was not an accident and knows exactly who is responsible for the death; and it was a few students in her class.

This book is split into characters perspectives of what has happened during the time of the death and for the few months after. These form the chapters in the book; it makes the chapters rather long and not easy if you wish to stop reading, to visit the bathroom or make a cup of tea.

As I was reading the book I wondered how it was fitting into the `thriller' genre as we knew right from the beginning exactly what had happened to the four year old. Going further through the book I began to understand and how the story was being to develop. It is a very clever story that stayed with me for some time after I had stopped reading. I also did not see the ending coming and I actually gasped out loud. This is the first time I have been completely surprised by a book and it really did shock me.

The story itself is truly horrific and shocking at times; which made the reader want to continue and although at points I didn't want to continue reading I just could not put the book down. This is a very thought provoking book, it is addictive and will stay with you long after you have finished it.

It has made me want to shout from the streets what a brilliant book this is and encourage others to read it. This was a cracking read; I highly recommend it to anyone who loves psychological thrillers. This book was easily 5* from me and if I could have given it higher I would have, purely for the shock that I did not see coming!

The Story Of Us
The Story Of Us

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite reads this year... Beautiful!, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Story Of Us (Kindle Edition)
Dani Atkins is an author I have heard a lot about, I have ‘Fractured’ her debut novel on my bookshelf but have not yet got round to reading; however I had heard it is fantastic and its one that I must read and as soon as possible. So when I heard Atkins had a second book out ‘The Story of Us’ I couldn’t wait to read it. As this was the first book I have read by Atkins I didn’t really know what to expect, however I was excited to finally be able to discover this author.

The story starts with the end, Emma getting ready for a wedding; which I quickly began to think could be her own. You as a reader are then transported back to learn about ‘The Story of Us’ We are thrown into a fast paced scene which leads to a tragic accident and one that had me hooked right from the first few pages.

Although the accident includes Emma and her two friends Amy and Caroline and all is not well for them, I felt that I was able to really connect with the characters and got to know them well. The story was definitely an emotional one; one in which really makes you question decisions in your life and wonder what if… Reading the side story about Emma’s mum was one that got to me personally, I have experienced this first hand with another member of the family and know how distraught it can make you feel. (I don’t want to say too much as to spoil the book for you.)

I loved Jack in the story, he was such a hero and he comes across as someone genuine and completely different to Richard. Saying this I warmed to Richard towards the end; he managed to make me see a different side of him along with Emma. I feel that he too was truly sorry and perhaps not the same man as he once was. I also loved all the smaller characters in the story such as Monique, Emma’s boss at a bookstore. I love how we don’t come across her that much, but when we do, she lets us know exactly what she is like. Her personality is a big one and one that you instantly warm to.

I really enjoyed the way the story was written and the structure of it. I enjoyed at the end of the chapter a smaller section which brought me back to the present, before gradually slipping back into the past story, which leads us to the end. (I am probably not making much sense, but this is such a good story that I don’t want to give anything away. Trying to write a review for a book like this is truly difficult as I just want to scream from the rooftops how much I enjoyed it; and to tell the world about it, but I also do not want to include any spoilers!) I felt the coming together of the book was excellent, the writing was beautiful and everything was relevant, I read the book extremely quickly as I just had to know the story and how it ending. Looking back I wished I had savoured it for a little as it was a beautiful story and one that I am not going to miss. Saying this it is going to become one of my firm favourites on my bookshelf and one that I will be returning to again and again.

I now cannot wait to go back and read Atkins debut novel ‘Fractured’ and hope she writes quickly for her next book. Atkins is an author I feel that is going to be popular for a long time if she continues to write like this.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending me this in exchange for an honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19