Profile for mrsb2011 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WTF Knits
WTF Knits

4.0 out of 5 stars weird and wacky, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: WTF Knits (Kindle Edition)
Weird and wacky small hardback, great for any knitter.

Each page is full colour with small captions about each page. This is just a really fun book.

It amazes me how these knits were actually knitted! Some of them are completely bizarre!

The only down side to this book I think is there are no patterns, it would have been nice to have had the opportunity to have a go at some of these wacky knits.

This is perfect for any knitting enthusiast, just a little book of fun.

I would like to thank the publisher for sending this in exchange for an honest review.

Cute Emergency
Cute Emergency

5.0 out of 5 stars what's not to love?, 2 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Cute Emergency (Kindle Edition)
This is a little hardback book full of cuteness.

Cute Emergency is stunningly presented with full colour photos on every page. The photos have a short caption referring to the animal on that page.

I cannot actually say anything negative about this book, it just leaves you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside once you have flicked through this book.

This is certainly going to pick you up on a miserable day. After reading is book I just want to hug all the animals. I would recommend this to anyone who loves animals and cute things.

The Mini Break
The Mini Break

3.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit short, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Mini Break (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this short story. Unfortunately for me this was just to short. I do love short stories as they allow you to dip into a world in between doing everything that your busy life entails. But I felt that it was rushed in places and I didn't feel I really got to know the characters.

This is about two girls who need a holiday. They end up on a golfing holiday, which is not great considering neither one of them know how to play. They spend their time dodging James the guy who is looking after them during their stay.

This is amusing and fun, just a little short to be able to really get into it. Most of the book is actually made up of a 'taster' of Jane's current novel, which I have already read, I feel this could have perhaps been at the end of a book; rather than sold separately

Kitchen Craft Santa And Friends Kitchne Craft Santa And Friends Ceramic Salt And Pepper Set
Offered by EKS

3.0 out of 5 stars seasonal, 30 Dec. 2014
Bought for my mother in law this Christmas as she stated she wanted some seasonal salt and pepper pots. She was over the moon with these, however after closer inspection one of the bases of the pot looks like it has been broken and then stuck together. Also one of the pots (Santa) the holes are not big enough and the pepper doesn't come out easy.

These are only going to be used for a few days a year though so will put up with the imperfections.

Roomies
Roomies

3.0 out of 5 stars Was an ok read, not what i was expecting, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Roomies (Kindle Edition)
I received this for review and thought it sounded really interesting. I though I would be able to relate to it having previously been to university.

I loved the idea of reading a series of emails between the two girls who are going to be room mates when they go to university, I have read books before in this format and really enjoyed them. This book was not all emails but also the girls views, which was ok but not what I originally expected.

Unfortunately I think that maybe I am was not the intended target audience for the book and actually felt a little old reading it.

So Lauren lives in San Francisco and Elizabeth lives in New Jersey they begin exchanging emails and begin to find out about their room mate. I felt there was a lot of American terms in the book and at times this annoyed me a little. I also found the girls yo be immature at times, (that could be down to me not being the target age group for this!)

The two girls point of views are very different in the story and it sometimes felt you were reading two separate books. There is a huge mount of drama in the book and I found it extremely easy to read and I read it quickly.

I was a little disappointed with the structure of the book too, I liked reading about the girls before they went to uni however I was unsatisfied with the ending. I would have liked to know a little more. (I won't say how it ends in case you wish to read this for yourself.)

I would like to thank the publisher for sending This in exchange for an honest review.

I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)
I Will Marry George Clooney (By Christmas)

5.0 out of 5 stars laugh out loud funny, 21 Dec. 2014
Motored through this book, it actually only took me two days to finish it. Incredibly unlikely story line but with Tracy Bloom's natural gift at comedy writing it was a really easy read which had good laugh aloud moments.

The story is about Michelle a single mother with a teenage daughter who has long since given up her dreams and ambitions and who works in a dead end job in a chicken factory. During an argument with her daughter Josie she foolishly says that if she manages to marry George Clooney by Christmas then her daughter has to agree to give up her no hoper of a boyfriend Sean and ideas of quitting school and make something of her life. Josie readily agrees assuming her mother has lost the plot and since there is no chance she can make this happen Josie believes she has already won the bet.

Although we know it is a stupid story line its told in such an engaging and funny way that you almost want it to happen for her and you're driven on to the end to see how this can possibly end happily for Michelle.

Michelle is an endearing character, she's hard working with a daughter who appears self centered and unappreciative and she has made sacrifices to give her a good life and the chance to make something of herself. When she sees her daughter ready to throw away everything for a boy Michelle has to do something to stop her hence this wacky idea of marrying George Clooney. Once having made the statement she confides in her work friends Gina and Daz who join together to help her make it happen (or not).

We also learn a lot more about Michelle and her relationship with her own mother as well as her relationship with Josie her daughter, they have a strange parallel. Michelle can't quite match up to her sister Jane (who tragically died) in her mother Kathleen's eyes, and she can't quite be the mother that Josie wants her to be either. Josie is frustrated that her mother has never revealed who her father is and Michelle is constantly being compared to her dead sister and reminded what a failure she is. The appearance of a face from the past also spurs Michelle on to prove to her daughter that you are in charge of your own destiny and following your dreams is always worth while.

Good laugh out loud moments, identifiable characters and a satisfactory ending - all you can ask from a read. Would rate this one 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 for good reads and Amazon.

The Silver Collection
The Silver Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of 5 short stories, 21 Dec. 2014
This is a collection if short stories, I didn't know that when I downloaded it, but I was happy to get stuck in.

There are 5 stories in total and before each one there is a little description about each one from Matthews.

So about the stories, they are all in the romance genre.

The first story is called Ignorance is Bliss, this comes from the wife's perspective. She knows her husband is having an affair, she comes across bitter in places and not that likable. She has secrets of her own. This story was ok, not the best in the collection but enjoyable.

The second story 'Travelling Light' was actually my favourite story and I think it was also the longest in the collection.

Alice is travelling alone a few weeks before her wedding, she feels she needs some space before the big day and get her head right. On her travels in China she meets Kane an American and also a fellow traveller. They decide to spend their time together while they are in China, making sure to visit all the sites.

As times goes on Alice realises her love for Stephen (her fiance) back home, May not actually be what she wants.

I really enjoyed This short story, it became my favourite in the collection. It felt complete and not rushed at all.

The third story 'A weekend in Venice' was enjoyable but I also found it a little unbelievable. This story felt completely different to Matthews other stories in the book and took on a slightly more erotic feel.

The fourth story 'Hotel Du Lac' was only 5 pages and unfortunately you were able to tell when reading it. It came across very rushed with very little storyline. This I feel was not the best story and has left me feeling flat, to be honest I have just finished the collection and couldn't tell you anything about this story, it completely was lost on me. This certainly was the most disappointing story in the collection.

'The way to a man's heart' is the final story in this collection. The story is about chocolate and building up a business. Maddys ex lives in the flat above, when they split up she decided she wanted to start again and creating her own business seemed to be the way to go. After a while her ex turns up on her doorstep and begins trying her products,this quickly turns into a regular thing. This was another enjoyable story in this collection.

I read all stories in an afternoon.

The Stall of Second Chances
The Stall of Second Chances

5.0 out of 5 stars such an easy read, 19 Dec. 2014
I have been super lucky to have got a copy in time for the blog tour. This sounded rich up ny street, I love a chick lit and I love any books associated with food. So right from the beginning I thought this was going to be a book for me.

I read a lot of books and I feel that my expectation for a book to be good is now very high. Lately I have been left feeling a little flat after reading some books. This was not one of these and it was really refreshing.

This story is about Sydney, she is not having much luck in her job. She has taken the wrap for a mistake and now has been left with no job. She is starting to really feel the pressure and you feel Sydney is at a crossroads, she could pick herself up and get on with things or she could hit rock bottom. Luckily one of her best friends stops this from happening and forces her into covering a shift for her at the market stall she works on. Thus job at the Wild Yeast Bakery stall becomes more regular and although she cannot stand the owner and the hours suck, she doesn't have a lot of choice, it pays the bills!

From work in on the stall, Sydney begins to make contacts and her career feels like it could be on the up. This is brilliant, it has good pace and everything you would expect from a chick lit, romance too.

I don't want yo say anymore as I feel I would be spoiling it for you. All I would say is, this should be a book you read soon.

I found this a very easy read and it was really enjoyable. I also loved the recipes printed at the back of the book, I will be trying these out!

This was my first experience of Bate' s writing style and I loved it, I will definitely be getting hold of her previous book and give that a go.

The Gift
The Gift

4.0 out of 5 stars A short Christmas read, 13 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Gift (Kindle Edition)
This is an incredibly short story, that I read in about 20 minutes, so perfect for a short lunchtime break or commute.

This is Imogen and Blake, they meet on the run up to Christmas in an unusual situation and take a shine to each other.

My only negative of this short story is the reference to most of the dialogue between the two characters being in code. I felt this point was laboured quite a lot.

The description of Blake makes you want your own Blake this Christmas.

This short story is flirty and fun. This is the first time I have read a story by Perrin, however on the strength if this I would read others of her books.

This is currently free on Amazon and it is a great free find. If you have not downloaded this yet, go grab yourself a copy

A New York Christmas
A New York Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit short, 13 Dec. 2014
I have really enjoyed reading novellas this year, it has allowed me to dip my toes into Christmas, in between other stories.

I first discovered Hill last year when I read A gift to remember and I love it. This story I thought I would equally love as it was set abroad and felt like a really great romance.

This story is about Maddie, she goes to New York to visit her for Christmas. Unfortunately when she gets there Sarah her friend cannot spend as much time as she had hoped she would be able to with her. Maddie is left to explore the Big Apple on her own.

While she is exploring, she meets a man, Blake, he seems perfect almost too perfect.

I enjoyed the majority of the story, however in places it felt very rushed. I was looking forward to the description of Blake and Maddies date as the description was great leading up to it. But in a few lines the date was over and I felt a bit let down by the lack of description given.

The story also seemed a little believable, something happens that I would have thought most people would just shrug off and not worry about, but Maddie gets really wound up about it.

Overall it was an ok story, I thought it would be much better if it had been longer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20