Profile for CymonZ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Mintex MDK0085 Brake Set, Disc Brakes
Mintex MDK0085 Brake Set, Disc Brakes
Offered by Aceparts

1.0 out of 5 stars My Ford Focus ate these for breakfast - but I ..., 27 July 2014
My Ford Focus ate these for breakfast - but I think it may have been the Focus... it also ate a pair of official Ford disks, although the Fords lasted a bit longer.
They didn't work for me, hence the single *

What was wrong...? They kept warping... braking at speed became dangerous, to such a point that I simply didn't brake and used a lot of the road.

TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
TeckNet® C016 USB HD 720P Webcam, 5 MegaPixel, 5G Lens, USB Microphone & 6 LED
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good., 27 July 2014
Its a web cam and its not yet crashed my computer. I purchased this because my Logitec "thing" keep causing a BSOD when I unplugged it ... I unplugged it because SkyPe and WebEX and other VoIP programs kept crashing.

So far so good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell, but for now, 5*, 27 July 2014
On my old/current rig, Windows 7 starts in 55-60 seconds. Now, as part of a my "2.8GHz 1'st gen i7 to a 3.4Ghz 4th i7" upgrade, I hardly see the Windows is starting / resuming text... I just see the login screen... about 18 seconds including the Bios Post (that I m about to get rid of !)

Time will tell - my last SSD went back after 6 months but that was a few years ago.

TOP-MAX 700mAh High Power Lithium Li-on NB-11L NB11L Battery Replacement for Canon PowerShot A2300 IS, A2400 IS, A2500, A2600, A3400 IS, A3500 IS, A4000 IS

4.0 out of 5 stars Seem to work as expected., 27 July 2014
I got three, a 32Meg memory card never runs out, but batteries do.

Toshiba SB1-SBK1 3D Soundbar with Built-In Subwoofer
Toshiba SB1-SBK1 3D Soundbar with Built-In Subwoofer

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub woofer is missing., 27 July 2014
Sent back... no base.
I got a Panasonic SC HTB-170 (silver). If you can find one, get two. I did.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2014 3:15 PM BST

Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology DS214se DiskStation 2 Bay Desktop NAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 27 July 2014
I've three of these... dont run any of the "widgets", just use them as NAS... Highly recommended.

Crucial BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Module

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor - was I sent used "broken" chips ?, 27 July 2014
Poor... very poor.

I've many Crucial chips in the past and these looked like good value for money , maybe a little bit too "cheap".

I was about to purchase some other Crucial chips that I've already used and saw these... cheaper.

They arrived in a very simple plastic blister that can hold three chips. No instructions, not "sealed", and the back of the package is quite scuffed. Not a worry if they work, but they didn't. The Asus Z87-PLUS board kept rebooting without getting to the POST screen/ Bios entry point... the red memory-error light kept blinking.
Replaced with "spare parts" from my growing collection of old parts and the Motherboard was fine - so its the chips.

So... Cheaper = waste of time for me, for Amazon and whoever else might get these next.

The rig did boot once or twice, but crashed after about 10 mins... blue screen. Not had the problem on my old chips.

Asus Z87-Plus Motherboard (Socket 1150, 4x DDR3, ATX, 2x PCI Express 3.0/2.0, 6x SATA 6.0 Gb/s, USB 3.0, Intel Z87 Express Chipset, Haswell, Dual Intelligent Processors 4 with 4-Way Optimization)
Offered by AVIDES u.k.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed - cpu nor memory compatible., 27 July 2014
Very disappointed - but a compromise found.

The Mobo was purchased as an upgrade from my 5 year old Asus P7D / i7-860 2.8GHz. Rock Solid, not a worry in 5 years, I simply wanted to update to a newer chip, the latest, greatest (almost) from Intel... the i7-4790 at 3.6GHz (from where Im writing this).

Because I had had lots of problems with a build based around a Gigabyte board and an i-4770 for my VM-Server (in January) I decided to go back to the "never had a worry" Asus brand. I've built many rigs, almost all Asus. Their build quality is (and still is) without doubt, one of the best.

But...
... the board claims to be compatible with the i7-4790, Its not.

At least mine wasn't. For starters, it came with the 1602 Bios, so I needed to update to Bios-1802 ( http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z87PLUS/HelpDesk_CPU/) somehow before I should put the new chip in. Catch 22. So I put the chip in... and updated... but it didnt seem to change very much. I updated right the way to the 2004 bios. No change.

What happens is that everything seems to work ok, except the board can't reboot. It can shut-down and restart, but not "continue" ie Exit the Bios with F10 and hope for a restart... It just sits there with the CPU Error light on. I found this right from the start when trying to update the Bios. Shut-down (power off) and start again and its ok. I hoped the Bios update would fix it.

Once Windows was installed, it was the same - very quick to boot and quick in use, and a shut-down or hibernate worked as expected, but not a reboot. Red Light. CPU error.

The BIOS lists the i7-4770 as compatible from the first versions, so I cannibalised my 6 month old VM-Server and hijacked the CPU. Its "only" 3.4 GHz, but has the new architecture. The good news is that a simple CPU swap worked first time. Exit the Bios and it re-starts. Reboot Windows and it reboots. No red light.

I hope this helps someone... drop me a "RedLight Hello", email, if it does !

Summary: The Haswell Chips are very quick but the motherboard manufacturers seem to be having problems keeping up with them. The Z87-Plus is a well built board, that should work "out-of-the-box" so long as you put the right CPU in the hole!
One last note : It didn't like the memory chips I purchased either ( Crucial BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU Sport 8GB 1600 2x4Gb Kit ) so I put my old Crucial 1333 Chips in, same size, slower. Latency was 53ms when it occasionally started - even with the i7-4770 and 67ms with the 1333 chips.

Intel Core i7 4790 Quad Core Professional Processor (3.60GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Graphics, Hyper Threading Technology, Socket 1150)
Offered by AV-ELECTRONIX GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good chip - BUT !!!!, 27 July 2014
Be very,very careful about your choice of Mother board. This is a Haswell-Refurbished model and not quite 4thGen. More like 4.25..!

I can confirm that it works fine in a Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3 with Bois F7, but NOT with an Asus P87-Plus, even with the 2003 or 2004 Bios that Asus recommend.

This chip replaced an i7-4770 that I was already very happy with in a VM-Ware server - the two extra GHz speed *are* noticeable and well appreciated.

Check my Asus Z87 Review for more info about what went wrong with the "i7-4790 and a Z87-Plus" and how I came to a compromise.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2015 7:00 PM GMT

Replacement 6400mAh 8.4v 18650 Battery Pack For 1600 1200 Lumen T6 P7 Bike Light
Offered by JUSTDO

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems to work well, 5 Mar. 2014
18650 battery packs are hard to find and more so ones that work for a long time.
On a recent night time orienteering course, I had this one pack on for aprox 5 hours, mainly with the 1600 CREE XL lamp set at low power output but used full power when I needed to see my surroundings a bit better. Well.. when I needed daylight. Anyway, after 5 hours I was about to change it when day broke so I didn't find out how much longer it runs.
Fully charged for the next night, I left it on Medium power most of the time but after 3.5 hours had to use the second pack. I ran that one on meduim too, but day broke before it ran out.

So two of these can probably "do" the whole night, I've got three!
...