Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Behind the Lions: Playing Rugby for the British & Irish Lions
Behind the Lions: Playing Rugby for the British & Irish Lions
by Stephen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rugby read in many years, 9 Jan 2013
At time of writng everyone has given this five stars and I will too. I read it on Kindle but frankly it is such a fine seminal record of rugby history that I'd like a hard copy on my shelf if I can make space for it ! Fourteen month tours, tranport by cattle carrier, refusal to avail themselves of subsititutes. Absolutely fascinating.

ReViewing Chess: King's Gambit, Vol. 79.1 (ReViewing Chess: Openings)
ReViewing Chess: King's Gambit, Vol. 79.1 (ReViewing Chess: Openings)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, worth the money, but with shortcomings. But try it!, 15 Nov 2011
Essentially it is a collection of games - a very LARGE collection - which is presented on good visual board at one page per move. The is no annotation, not even notation or identification of the games themselves. It would be a much better product if it had these features or indeed had some sort of index to take you direct to particular variations. The games are not even numbered such that you could go back to them easily but I guess you could mark the pages. All that said, I have found it extremely useful and enjoyable to use. The screen by screen progress means you can try to predict moves wheareas when you read a game from notation you cannot fail to see what comes next.

To any keen chess player, I would say, try it.

Blackspur BB-PT150 Pick Up Tool
Blackspur BB-PT150 Pick Up Tool

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective - does exactly what you'd expect, 2 Oct 2011
I did look at the options read a lot of reviews before buying and was deterred by some reports of defects and breakages etc .I chose this one for vfm and it works very well. The cups on the end enable it to pick up almost anything including for example a sheet of paper lying on a flat surface. It's not just for rubbish; it's a grabber. I've also used it to pick apples.

Anna Karenina (Illustrated)
Anna Karenina (Illustrated)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the real thing!, 19 Sep 2011
My wife wanted this for holiday. I took this version not for the cheap price or the "illustrations" butsimply because it appeared to be one of the latest editions offered. In fact it was an abridged version according to Mrs (who knows her literature) but far worse, many words - at least one or two every ten lines - were missing or completely corrupted and you had to guess from the context! I did not expect such a flaw from any Kindle book.

Seeing Red: Twelve Tumultuous Years in Welsh Rugby
Seeing Red: Twelve Tumultuous Years in Welsh Rugby

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing less than five star, 16 Jun 2011
Thoroughly fascinating. Especially for the old guard like me who were brought up on a diet of Edwards, John, Bennett JPR, Merv, Panther, Ponty etc. Inspiration and genius have been, perhaps not entirely replaced, but shoved aside by professionalism with technology and all the amazinng analytical tools that the top flight ofthe game cannot afford to be without. The initiative is clearly with coaches and their teams although their are generally living on the edge. You canot read read book without getting a feeling for the management pressures and the player power lobby. I particularly applaud the way Alun Carter has dealt with individual personalities honestly and even handedly. We want more books like this.

Nobody Beats Us: The Inside Story of the 1970s Wales Rugby Team
Nobody Beats Us: The Inside Story of the 1970s Wales Rugby Team
by David Tossell

5.0 out of 5 stars possibly the best book on Welsh rugby ever, 16 Jan 2011
As a rabid Welsh follower I lived the era and remember well many of the events in the book. The background and insight are fascinating. It probably takes a non-Welshman to write such a good book because we are so partisan about our rugby! I had never heard of David Tossell before seeing this book but I shall certainly read some of his other works on other sports.

Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White
Philips Imageo LED Rechargeable Candle Lights, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips LED candles are novel and usfeul, 16 Jan 2011
What is not obvious is that they switch on and off by a gravity sensor.
You simply turn them upside down to operate the switch. The inside does not fall out! Not only are they elegant to look at, they are quite handy as night lights. We put one in the bedroom and two in the bathroom. Good value at the Amazon price but the test will be how many recharges the batteries can take. Hopefully many hundreds.