Profile for Richard Miller > Reviews

Content by Richard Miller

Richard Miller "TheDude311" (Perthshire, Scotland)

Attacks
Attacks
by Erwin Rommel

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book - obth tactical and personal, 29 Nov 2008
This review is from: Attacks (Paperback)
'Attacks' also known as 'Infantry attacks' by Erwin Rommel is one of those must read books for anyone interested in military strategy or history. The book is the story of Rommel's memories of world war 1, from the trenches of france to the mountains of Romania, at the head of the Wurstburg mountain battalion. The book is written not only as a personal story of the experiences in war, but also as a tactical handbook by a man who would come to be known as the 'desert fox' in world war 2, where his military command was was responsible for the panzer attacks in France and the war in North Africa.
At the end of each chapter there is a section for review where Rommel looks closely at the important military points of his battles, highliting good and bad moves, improvements for his men and the shortcomings of his opponents.
I believe this book is now a standard text for American military officers in Westpoint, and it is easy to see why.
A really good read about an incredible man with a brilliant military mind. 5 stars

The Reluctant Fundamentalist
The Reluctant Fundamentalist
by Mohsin Hamid

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly written and thought provoking book, 27 Aug 2008
I would like to say that this book is brilliant, and my compliments to the author for such a fine piece of literature.
I must admit, I hadnt heard of it before I purchased it at the train station before a long journey; it's not my typical genre, but by the time I left the train, I had read most of it and was hooked.
I dont personaly think its a thriller at all. The element of the book that kept me turning the pages was the beautiful monologue writting style, and the fascination of hearing the inspiring life story of this book's main character.
Its hard to explain just how I was drawn into this book. The story of the life contained within could have belonged to anyone; yet it is because of who it belongs to that makes this story work so well. The study of the many faces of 'fundamentalism'is thought provoking, and works because of the subject examining is in such a position as to be unbiased - or at least far more educated than most.
The end is brilliant and while subtle, uncertain even (as is much of the book), it contains a strength of ideology that flows through the pages and gives the reader the inertia to keep reading and thinking, even after the book is closed.
5 stars

Zen in the Martial Arts
Zen in the Martial Arts
by Joe Hyams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Zen in the martial arts, 29 April 2008
This is certainly an excellent little book.
Hyams' stories are short, interesting and all prove a valuable point; each of which gives you one of those 'zen' moments where you look upwards, nod to yourself and say 'yeah...' quietly. A rewarding read, filled with stories of some great martial artists.
This book is highly recomended by myself, and well, alot of other readers by the look of it.
Deffinately a little moment of zen for us all.

Death Touch: The Science Behind the Legend of Dim-Mak
Death Touch: The Science Behind the Legend of Dim-Mak
by Michael Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Death touch: science behind the legend, 30 Jun 2007
I've read quite alot of martial arts books in my time and overall I would have to say this is not one of the best. It is written in good enough english, with medical explanations for a variety (although not many) Dim Mak point effects. The same medical jargon is repeated over and over, occasionally reapeating what had been said only a paragraph before hand. I am sre that Dr. Kelly's medical knowledge is sound and it does offer an interesting insight into the theories behind internal martial arts, although I believe more explanation into the internal processes is needed as well as some clearer indication of the forces required to produce the explained effects.

The diagrams and illustraions of people in the book look like they may have been a relative of pac man (Think etch-a-sketch drawing). It is stated that the diagrams are not exact and the book should be accompanied by a more accurate map of the human body and dim mak points, but making an effort would have been nice.

Overall, I'd give this book about a 3/5... Its worth buying if you are well into your martial arts but is deffinately not any kind of introduction.

P.S - I read the 'other' review of this book and couldnt say it is farther from the truth... aswell as having an absurdly random screen name and praising the book from the point of a non-believer (who i doubt would have even bought the book in the first place), I think you can safely guess that that review is slighly biased and written by someone trying to endorse the sale of the book. ... LOL.