Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "benito_benito" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
7" Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB
7" Touch Screen Allwinner A13 1.0GHz CPU Android 4.0 Tablet PC 4GB HDD 512MB
Offered by Adspec Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes, 2 Sept. 2012
I recap what I did with mine in case you are looking to do the same.

Connected to the wifi just as easily as when when I connect with my Andriod phone.

Facebook, Google Play and Skype came preinstalled.

Skype VIDEO calling worked for a chat to Australia

Managed to get mp4 files I had recorded of Freeview TV into the inbuilt memory and watch it. Needed to change aspect ratio in the options though.

Managed to put in a 32G micro SD card and copy more videos and mp3 music files. All play fine.

Logged into Google to buy an app without hiccup (I have an account from my Android phone). Downloaded a few free ones for use when travelling.

Downloaded BBC iplayer and have watched several programs. Nice cheap 'TV' for the bedroom!

Tethered my android phone so I could use Facebook without access to a HotSPot. It was slow but that's probably not the device's fault.

Battery life - i can get a day's use on-and-off so perhaps a few hours in total. Its acceptable unless you are on a long haul flight.

Overall this ticks my requirements for a device to take on holiday for some browsing in a hotel, or just for grabbing to check email when at home.

Negatives
A friend commented on lack of a back-facing camera but I only need Skype so the front-facing is sufficient.
Screen resolution is low and tires my eyes after a while. It has whetted my appetite for an up market tablet (you know the one I mean!).
Uses a mini USB connection and separate DC connector for charger so Yet More Cables To Take On Holiday.

Overall very happy.

Caveat : mine was 8GB not 4GB as advertised, Wifi was N. Would be interesting to know if others received the same.

UPDATE April 2013
I took this on a holiday and compared to my partner's ipad2. Of course this is no test as one would exepct, but I can say the cheap tablet "does the job" in facebooking, tripadvising, skyping etc. But quite frankly its not fun to use in comparison to a responsive ipad. The Ipad responds instantly to every wiggle on the screen whereas the cheap tablet has pauses and stutters. But it gets the job done.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 4, 2013 3:42 PM GMT

SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card only
SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Card only

5.0 out of 5 stars Item perfect but beware it did not come with SD adaptor, 2 Sept. 2012
I just want to point out mine did not come with an SD adaptor (they used to, didn't they?). Not an issue unless you don't have one lying around and you need to copy, say, using a PC (especially if the device you intend it for does not have write capability).

Philips AquaTouch Shaver AT890/20 Wet and Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Pop Up Trimmer
Offered by Smithy07

3.0 out of 5 stars Epiphany in electric shaving (while it lasted), 7 July 2012
I had been using my Philips 3-head rotary shaver for the last 15 years and it was time to upgrade. The use of this with shaving gel turns shaving into a pleasure. It glides around those awkward hairs on my Adam's apple over the shaving foam. The shave is so much better and at the same time my skin is not roughed up. Its a great improvement to my morning routine and highly recommended especially if you are currently using an old dry-shave Philips shaver.

Addendum: I demoted the rating from 5 to 3 stars. It died after 13 months. When I press the on button the rotors spin for a second and stops. In hindsight, though it makes a cleaner shave, it takes longer. I'll take the rotors out and put in my 15-year old shaver.

How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog
How to Teach Quantum Physics to Your Dog

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 3 July 2012
I found this entertainint to read. The combination of dialoge with the dog asking good layman questions, humour and sections devoted to the reader alone is good. The section on people abusing quantum theory to mis-sell and trick people is insightful as I have relatives who really swallow the gobbledegook that can appear on the internet. My main criticism is the chapter covering entanglement perhaps focussed too much on the experiments and not enough on explaining the state of affairs with this. I had the kindle version and the diagrams were ok for me, contrary to other posts. I zipped through this book quite quickly, which means that I was indeed absorbed by it.

Philips SHN2600/10 InEar Noise Cancelling Headphones
Philips SHN2600/10 InEar Noise Cancelling Headphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but you'd have to like in-ear canal earphones, 21 April 2012
I bought this on impulse though I was really looking for over-ear (aka around ear, circum-aural) NC headphones. These do work but I find I have to push the earpieces quite deep and twist them about until the fit is good; only then does the noise cancellation become effective. This is presumably because the "antinoise" that is produced by the electronics presumes you've inserted them optimally and so it outputs the volume of antinoise appropriately; any misfit results in more external noise seeping in and the noise cancellation becomes ineffective. I note the earpieces are slightly "bent" to assist twisting clockwise/anticlockwise for a good fit.

Once fitted I find perhaps more than half the noise attenuation is from the earplug effect of the earpieces and less than half from the active cancellation, but this is a subjective estimated whilst walking down the street. Perhaps in an aircraft environment it is different.

Some users of in-ear canal earphones note some noise due to rubbing of the cable transmitting rumblings up the wire; these get round this mostly by supplying a brace that keeps the 2 wires of the left and right earpieces together and one wears the phones like a necklace and then the earpieces attach to the ear from behind.

But I give a generous 4 stars (but really would give 3.5) for the personal reason that I do not particularly find in-ear canal headphones comfortable. I last around an hour then they have to come out. I much prefer around-ear headphones. But I will probably take them with me on flights as a backup as I have had a set of over-ear headphones snap on me during a long-haul flight.

UPDATE : I tested my pair vs Bose QuietComfort 15s on a 12 hour flight; this is surely the ultimate test. Allow me to try to give you a sense of how these perform. Without any headphones, the sound in the cabin (a 737) was like a roar in the middle of an Artic storm. With the Bose the sound was reduced to a hush like an air condtioner 2 metres away. With the Philips the sound was reduced to the rumble from inside an electric tram. I've upgraded my review from 4 to 5 stars because this represents excellent value for money, these being just 1/14th the cost of the Bose. Also I have been using them on my commute work and find I am getting used to them (though they need some fiddling to get into the ideal position).

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Something every household should have, 6 April 2012
I was not really aware such a product existed (and it is not a toy - this should be in the DIY / Household category). So you mix 2 types of "blu tack" together and it eventually hardens to a tough plastic. Picture a black plastic pen and you will not be far off. Plastics have been around for decades but I didn't think I could "make" my own.

I used this to repair a set of Altec Lansing noise canceling headphones after the spindle snapped, leaving one earpiece dangling in the air and the item unwearable. I could not use superglue as one of the 2 parts to connect is flat, the other round. Stong tape was not rigid enough. I pondered over this for a long while until the idea of epoxy resin appeared whist googling. I followed the instructions on Milliput's website and proceed to secure the entire loose part by encapsulating the whole joint in epoxy resin. The result? A little ugly but works 100%! True I can sandpaper it down but it does the job and saved me £30.

The product is an eye-opener. Its like every house should have (a) strong tape (b) superglue (c) epoxy resin. I can think of many uses, such as repairing snapped parts off fridges or washing machines (but I'd go for the white product).

My only tip for anyone making a repair like mine : find a way of clamping the parts together before attempting to seal or encapsulate with epoxy resin. Also do this in a clear area and use newspaper or something as bits of resin do drop off when kneeding and they stick like glue to surfaces when dry.

JVC HA-M750-E Monitor Carbon Integrated Headphones - Black
JVC HA-M750-E Monitor Carbon Integrated Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound at a very good price, 3 April 2012
I found it a mine field to trawl through the products and reviews to make a decision on headphones for myself. There was one at around £15 from a top brand with hundreds of positive reviews and questioned why I should consider those costing 10x more. The answer is partly in some reviewers are probably experiencing over-ear headphones for the first time having been used to ear-buds. Also I wanted the over-ear variety, ie the ear pieces "cup" the ear rather than rest on the ears, and the terminology does not appear standard (around-ear, ear-cup. on-ear, over-ear, closed-back, circum-aural, supra-aural??). So for me it became important to actually try out mine and, as others observed, these were available to test the display item from a high street retailer. I compared them to Bose costing 3x more and Denon's costing more than 5x, and I must say that in my short trial I could not hear any worthwhile differences. The bass is full and the mid-tones rich and the highs as crisp as the expensive models (disclaimer : I am not young so there may be high-end sensitivity loss). Indeed they sounded better to me than the Bose. This makes these JVCs great value for money. So why are others more expensive? More expensive models may have leather cushioning, a lead that is detachable and inserts into just one earpiece (the JVCs have the the Y shaped wires going into both), and a case (but these do come with an extension cable and large jack adaptor). But for the money I say the sound is in the same class as higher end models. I do not experience any over-tighness of the headband as others have reported. Indeed I also use them when Skyping and have had them on for several hours at a go and they are comfortable (if only the ears warm but this is to be expected, especially if you do not wish to leak any sound out.)

Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black
Samsung S5830i Galaxy Ace Onyx Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great all round experience with a high-end feel, 3 Feb. 2012
I've had this for over 2 weeks now and have used it daily and find it straightforwards to use and immensely useful. Rather than go thru the same reaons posted by others, I'll just make a few points that I have noticed.

Mine came with Android 2.3.3 and not 2.2.

Many people have complaints about battery life. I can squeeze 2 days out of this but I take care. Firstly I follow the advice of the chap at the shop where I bought this (a high-street phone retailer). I run it down to completely flat, then recharge but being careful not recharge overnight but to disconnect when 100% is reached. Secondly I downloaded an app to conserve battery. I chose the free Juice Defender but this is not the only one. Thirdly I turned off background data on the accounts setting (though this may affect some apps, like email that push or poll). Lastly I turned off GPS. I only need it when using maps and there's no benefit in other apps knowing where I am.

Some people have had complaints about slowness. I find that it can be slow when doing something else (eg Norton Utilites scanning the SD card, but often I believe it can be the way an app is written. For example I found TripAdvisor kept stalling, and I pressed the return key a couple of times, then suddenly I'm out the app. I think the app was trying to get my GPS and so waited. Is it the phone's fault? Or should the app not be synchronous?

Lastly, I read some internet posts about people who had run out of phone memory and wanted to move apps to the SD card but believing they need an app App2SD and root access. I found this is not necessary as apps can be moved the the SD card via the Settings/Application/Manage Application menu. Some apps seem not to permit being moved but most did.

I am happy with the product. I was dithering between this and the Galaxy Y (at half the cost) but when I compared them side by side I could see the crispness of the Ace's display and this was a winning factor. Overall I have the feeling of having a high-end phone on a reasonable budget.

Win at Chess: A Comprehensive Guide to Winning Chess for the Intermediate Player
by Ron Curry

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at the improver who is more than a novice player, 11 Jan. 2012
I came across this book in my local library and it useful to warrant buying my own copy. It is aimed at the casual player looking to improve, ie better than a novice and aspiring to reach good club standard. Though there are many books around to help improve chess, I found this useful as it fits my level of experienced (I was rated by my chess software at around 1100-1200 and improved to 1400-1500 in a few weeks). Its not tactics, games and a few general rules; and neither is it too complex with hundreds of opening variations. I found the chapter on HOW to DECIDE what to move particularly instructive and I try to follow the basic recipe during games, such as upon the opponent moving, asking

(1) Is there a threat?
(2) What has changed?

and on my move asking

(1) Can I improve my postion?
(2) Is it safe?

Likewise there are other lists of steps or options to take that help foster more rigorous decision making. I found it useful to review these rules during games against my computer. I know some reviewers say it is light on the openings but they are probably more advanced than me. At my level I would get a separate book on openings when I advance a bit more.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be sized for childred, 26 July 2011
I bought the medium size and could not get my hand in the glove. I am not big by any means and the glove would seem to be made for children. I suspect large will still be too small to get my hand inside. Beware. Seller refunded without problem.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7