Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "benito_benito" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Story of Philosophy
Story of Philosophy

5.0 out of 5 stars Particularly for Kant, 28 Feb 2014
I bought this especially for the chapter on Kant. It has been said that Kant is a headache waiting to happen, but an internet search suggested Will's chapter on him was good. I agree; things are clearer. I must admit, though, I have not read all the other chapters (except for one), but the writing is both pleasantly prose-like and clear.

Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black
Offered by Jerphone & Parts

1.0 out of 5 stars Lest we trust all reviews... KitKat bricket it, 28 Feb 2014
I have no doubt the phone is good. But, as alluded to by other reviewers, it choked on upgrading to KitKat 4.4.2

Upon receiving this, I followed the enclosed instructions : I put my SIM in, started it, logged into Android, selected a few privacy options, opted to take the KitKat 4.4.2 upgrade, hit install, and... instantly the phone 'bricked' i.e. became nonresponsive. The screen was a faint grey with no sign of progress. I left it for an hour in hope, but according to youtube, it ought to have a progress bar to indicate it is working. I left it another hour. Still the same. I was cautious that the battery could run flat so I put in the charger : no sign of recognition that it was attached, so opted to leave it. My morning the battery was dead. I charged it and tried to turn it on, only to yield the same faint grey screen that won't go off until the battery goes dead.

Its a pity. The phone feels great, the response, whilst I checked my privacy settings, was good. Screen was sharp as pins. And it uses a standard micro USB charger so no need for me to get another. But until I get some kind of confirmation that this issue is solved, I am steering clear. I really wanted to like this. The reviews are fantastic. Perhaps I was unlucky, though others report KitKat issues (albeit to do with 3G, rather than bricking it).

I trust Amazon returns will be painless, to take the edge off the disappointment.

Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations
Philosophy for Life: And other dangerous situations

3.0 out of 5 stars Like a dinner table chat - covers lots of ideas but none in depth, 4 Feb 2014
I liked this book as it was informative on many topics; but as interested layman philosopher, I felt it was more like a dinner table chat with ideas brought up and quickly, opionion rendered, then on to the next topic. At times it seemed to be on the lookout to add as many names, movements, organisations as possible to give the feel of researched ideas but the overall tone was like something from a sunday magazine, like a stocking filler. It was informative and I enjoyed, it, but for me a mark of a good book is if I want to read it again, or at least go through my Kindle highlights. I did not have the urge with this.

If you are keen on a pratical guide to the stoic portion I'd recommend William Irvine's A Gude To The Good Life: he is an academic so the writing is not as lucid as Jules, but there are more concrete, solid tips. Jules's book left me with a taster of everything, but if I were to make something of it, I'd have to research those areas of interest further.

One thing that did bother me was that the book made references, say to Marcus Aurelius's Meditations, but the reference at the back did not give the exact quoattion. So I know he quoted the book but can't look it up myself.

50 Licks Jazz Style [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
50 Licks Jazz Style [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bruce Buckingham
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars It got my jazz flowing, 11 Jan 2014
I'd tried several time to get into jazz guitar but with poor results. Scales? Over chords? Substitutions? But for me the way forward is with "licks". Out of 50 licks, perhaps 15 are now in my memory, and with them I can get some degree of improvisation. But it's not just memorizing licks; I had to disect them and see how they work, especially to understand what the notes are relative to the underlying progression (an A-minor triad, an augment chord arpeggio, a major triad played over the 'wrong' chord etc). Slowly things sunk in and things are flowing. It has taken a long while but for me jazz doesn't come easy. I won't absorb all 50 licks but if my 15 become permanant, then this is fantastic.

A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

5.0 out of 5 stars Good manual for modern day stoic practice, 9 Jan 2014
Prof. Irvine is attempting to convince us to try a modern day version of the ancient practice of stoicism. The heart of the pratice are 2 very simple praticial procedures that are easy to follow. The text gives is a basic grounding in the ancient pratice with the author's personal experinces layered over as examples for modern times. Though the writing style did appear to me at times laboured, the message is loud and clear. If you have a soft spot for stoicism, or seeking tranquility, thie book is highly recommended.

I do however note an omission that I believe would have supported the author's case; the stoic philosophers directly influenced the development of modern day cognitive therapies, yet Prof. Irvine does not mention this. Surely this is one of the biggest recommendations one can make for the stoic philosophy.

Godel's Proof
Godel's Proof

3.0 out of 5 stars Elusive 'click' failed to get a foothold., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Godel's Proof (Kindle Edition)
I have to go against the flow of reviews and give this 3. I am not a mathematician, but a computer scientist (who has worked with applied mathematics). I found Nagel and Newman's exposition of Gödel's theorems good to a point, but, despite several re-reads, the "click" of the elusive intuition didn't materialise.

I continued my search to understand Gödel and found a more intuiitive exposition in "Incompleteness" by Rebecca Goldstein. The key difference in Goldstein's exposition was to make clear the "diagonal lemma". Goldstein states that Gödel "didn't actually use it, but rather derived the particular case"; it does however convey the entrance of self-referentiality more clearly. Nagel and Newman's text does not mention the "diagonal lemma". I would recommend Goldstein's text to lay persons seeking an intuitive grasp of the incompleteness theorem.

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?
Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Changes how I view moral dilemmas, 7 Aug 2013
Michael Sandel caught my attention with the BBC series on justice. Then I discovered the 12 Havard lectures on iTunesU / youtube and the book and so bought the book; it has has changed how I view moral delimmas. The first chapter discusses a dilemma involving the needs of many vs. the needs of one, and by re-casting the problem in different ways most of us change our minds on what is right. As the author intended, the book shows us how to "morally reflect" different views from different schools of thought, and how to seek the principal that we apply in making judgements (you can read this part in the free download of the the Kindle edition). Thereafter Michael descends deeper into the differing schools - utilitarianism, liberalism, Kant, Rawls, and Aristotle. The book closely mirrors the video lectures with little deviation so by coupling both the material sinks in. I myself am not a philosopher; but after reading this I feel a much keener interest in philosophy, particularly moral philosophy that has surprised me. Throughout the book the author remains neutral on the different schools, showing the rational for, objections against, and counters against objections; but the last couple of chapters he shows his cards and does take sides and explains why. I read this book, and when I got to the tougher chapters such as on Kant, I read each chapter twice; then read the whole book again. I can't say I've done this with many books. For me an easy 5 out of 5.

7dayshop Bluetooth Stereo Audio Receiver and USB Wall Charger Plug - Connect Your PC, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Tablets Or MP3 Player To Your Speakers, Docks And Home Entertainment Systems.
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but the whole Bluetooth technology is a bit iffy for me, 18 May 2013
Works as described. Plug it in and it becomes "discoverable" for a couple of minutes. You have to be quick to get to your device's bluetooth settings to get it to pair. It took me several goes and in the end I found it best to first get the device ready to pair, then unplug/replug the 7dayshop adaptor to get it to pair.

I do get some drop-outs but it is not clear if this is, say, Spofify's fault or my broadband's bandwidth or the bluetooth bandwidth.

Also there have been times when my MacBook says it cannot connect. Maybe due to another device already connected, but to be frank I think Bluetooth technology is not particularly friendly and it is not the device's fault.

But when it works its nice to control my music from the sofa and laptop or tablet.

SAMSUNG GALAXY ACE S5830 - DARK PURPLE LEATHER FLIP CASE COVER POUCH + FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR & MINI TOUCH STYLUS PEN FROM GB ONLINE SALES
Offered by GB Online Sales

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value and fits nicely, 18 May 2013
My Samsung clips nicely and fits well. I would prefer the clip to be velcro or a button rather than magnetic as the magnet is weak and there is the risk that my phone drops with the case open. But value for money this is superb.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Rescued me from my 2008 MacBook, 18 May 2013
I was alarmed at some of the reviews, with talk of sparks and fuses going, so I looked at the Apple site for reviews of their Magsafe charge. Alas they did not stock the one with the T connector for my older MacBook, and even if I wanted the newer L connector the reviews there were not great.

So I took the risk of buying this. My MacBook had run down to 20% charge so I plugged it in and kept monitoring how warm the charger was getting. Indeed it did get quite warm, but perhaps no warmer than some of my other chargers and DC adaptors. Perhaps no warmer than the battery of my MacBook when working flat out. Low and behold my MacBook did charge and all is well.

I do note some operational differences between this and my original Apple-supplied charger. This appears to charge faster (according to the status bar) and also appears to discharge more quickly, but perhaps my qualitative judgement here is not accurate. Also, it seems to charge to 99% and not usually reaching 100%. But it works and I am happy.

Another thing to note : the charger did not come with a cable but instead with a clip-on square pinned plug for attaching to the mains. I was able to use the cable from my defunct Apple and connect this to this unbranded "Replacement AC Adaptor" (as written on the product itself) with no issue.

I had no option but to get this and am pleased.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5