Profile for D. Smith > Reviews

The Forager Handbook
The Forager Handbook
by Miles Irving

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Forager Handbook (Hardcover)
Whilst this is a very well laid out book, I was surprised to find that the pictures are in black and white! When the importance of foraging is put on identification;colour forms a integral part.

If I had been able to look inside the book, or if the description had mentioned this, I certainly would not have ordered it; especially when there are so many other good, colourful books around.

The Grave Tattoo
The Grave Tattoo
by Val McDermid

5.0 out of 5 stars Newly Converted Fan, 19 April 2006
This review is from: The Grave Tattoo (Hardcover)
I certainly wasnt sure when I bought this book that it would be my cup of tea. How wrong I was! I see from some of the other reviews that others thought the characters to be cardboard cut outs. From my point of view you have characters from all walks of life; scholars, criminals (very true to life), a child who wants to make something of herself, but lives in an unacceptable situation, which seems to be the norm nowadays, gays, people ruled by money and people who still have a sense of community, with loyalty to there own and others. All characters with which most people should be able to relate to from their everyday lives. Everything was very descriptive and kept you guessing to the end. I really felt for Jane when she was ultimately told what happened. Really worth a read.

The Playroom
The Playroom
by John Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars Playroom, 19 April 2006
This review is from: The Playroom (Paperback)
The way the dual story line runs side by side but keeps you guessing to the last minute is truly fantastic. A thoroughly good read. Keeps your imagination going from start to finish.

The First Casualty
The First Casualty
by Ben Elton

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Casualty, 19 April 2006
This review is from: The First Casualty (Hardcover)
Really gave an insight into the lives and personal feelings of those soldiers involved in the First World War. How the bravery of those in the trenches still came through regardless of the shear hopelessness of the situation. How a conscientious objector is unavoidably drawn into battle by the need to solve a murder. The shear scale of the situation is brought to life quite grafically.

A truly superb and easy to read book. I am really glad I bought it.