Profile for m_sassen > Reviews

Remainder
Remainder
by Tom McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars essential reading, 8 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Remainder (Hardcover)
This book came highly recommended to me, by someone who rarely tells me to go and buy books. So I went and go it. This book is unlike any other book I have read- in terms of its scope and its ambition. Everything about it seems to be set apart from the literary vernacular I'm used to. I don't know if this is the same as everyone else. For me the delivery f this book, the changing condition of its everyman narrator and the feel of its prose all combined to amount to something highly unusual, and as such, something original. I can't recommend it enough, if nothing else as a surreal foray into the ever-so-slightly unreal diorama that is our day-to-day existence.

Misadventure in the Middle East: Travels as a Tramp, Artist and Spy: Travels as Tramp, Artist and Spy
by Henry Hemming

5.0 out of 5 stars Unseen Middle East, 8 Mar. 2007
I'd heard about this art-making journey through the Mid East a while ago, but didn't know that any of the people involved had written a book about it. I've just finished reading Misadventure in the Middle East, Henry Hemming's account of this journey, and think it's brilliant. The best book I've read in a while. It's so much more than your standard travel book - as well as the routine scrapes and near-death encounters, you meet truly fascinating characters, and see pockets of the Middle East that I certainly had no idea about before reading the book. Everywhere he goes, Hemming seems to have a rapport with people he meets. Especially young people. That's what gives this book its edge. It's also very well written, and there's a sensitivity and humour to it all that makes it hard to put down. Highly recommended!