Profile for Bookish Lass > Reviews

Bookish Lass

1914: Poetry Remembers
1914: Poetry Remembers

4.0 out of 5 stars Read, remember, reflect, 17 Jan. 2014
I thought I had gathered every World War 1 poetry collection I'd ever want, but this book makes a strong case for acquisition. The poems inspired by poets' reflections on that war, each alongside that poet's choice of a poem (or sometimes a piece of prose) proves a potent mix.

Genealogy: Essential Research Methods
Genealogy: Essential Research Methods
by Helen Osborn

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for both new and experienced family and local historians, 13 Dec. 2012
This is a book that fills what was a serious gap in the plethora of books for the family or local historian - the absence of a book that encourages research skills with an approach that fosters critical analysis of materials.

It's a book that is as pertinent for those starting out on researching family history as it is for those who have been researching for years. It's readable, engaging, informative.

Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History
Collins Tracing Your Scottish Family History

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but don't go for the Kindle edition, 29 April 2012
This review relates to the Kindle edition of this book

I downloaded this book to my Kindle as I wanted something portable that I could possibly carry with me as a reference. None of the gold standard references for Scottish research, which I have in the print editions (Tracing Your Scottish Ancestors (National Archives of Scotland) (not even in its latest edition!) Tracing Scottish Local History) or the general works like Scottish Genealogyor The Scottish Family Tree Detective: Tracing Your Ancestors in Scotland)are available on Kindle and so I downloaded this one.

I was disappointed in the version downloaded to Kindle. Paragraphs are interrupted in mid-sentence by other material, such as photos, tables, text boxes, and continue a few 'page' later. Even captions are detached from their image and may appear in isolation on the following 'page'.

I'm not happy about the Kindle version of a book that,in the printed edition, makes good use of colour and text boxes to help readers digest the content. The content is useful and helpful, particularly for a new researcher though making sense of breaks and interruptions might affect the flow of reading. For me there's a lot of repetition but that's because I've got a number of books on this subject. I expected that, and the lack of colour, since that would have been outweighed by the usefulness of its portability.

I'd be interested to know what these books would be like on, say, an eReader or iPad if there are versions for those devices. This is the first book that's not pure text that I've downloaded. I'm now not minded to download Malouf's Moorish: Flavours from Morocco to Marrakesh: Flavours from Mecca to Marrakech I realise it will be black and white, alas, but can't face the possiblity of random interruptions to recipes.

Mobile Wife - Living The Dream In The House In The Postcard
Mobile Wife - Living The Dream In The House In The Postcard
by Shena Matchett

5.0 out of 5 stars A memoir to relish!, 1 Aug. 2010
This witty, wonderfully closely-observed account of the author's life abroad ought to be prescribed reading for anyone about to embark on life in another country. Shena Matchett writes with enthusiasm, panache and amused tolerance, showing how to make the most of the experience.

With disarming candour, she reveals some strands of the expat life that are often overlooked. She clearly also has the inner resources to avoid the relative monotony of existing within what often is, effectively, a gated community.

She directly addresses and engages the reader and you feel that you are part of the conversation. Her evocative descriptions and anecdotes make for a delightful read. Rich, sensory descriptions, laced with wit, enhance a memoir which is a joy to read and was inspirational reading for this expat reader!