Profile for L. J. Purcell > Reviews

Professional Skin Care System by ToiletTree Products - Grey
Professional Skin Care System by ToiletTree Products - Grey
Offered by FHL Store

5.0 out of 5 stars This works, 3 April 2015
I was going to buy the clarisonic but it was ridiculously expensive so I bought this instead. It comes with several additions - two facial brushes, one gentle, one less so, a body scrub and a pumice for the feet. The only one I've used so far is the gentle face scrub but it's still been worth every penny.

I have very pale skin with a couple of red marks, but after using the gentle brush every other day, I've noticed the red marks are totally gone and my skin has a glow, even when I'm totally makeup free. Every other day is fine for me, and it's probably better to start slowly to avoid dryness, but I can honestly say my skin has never looked better.

Girls Fleece Pyjamas Cosy Super Soft Navy Moon & Stars 11-12
Girls Fleece Pyjamas Cosy Super Soft Navy Moon & Stars 11-12

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosy and practical, 13 Dec. 2014
I bought these pj's for my ten year old daughter. They were slightly too large for her but that doesn't matter. The fabric is soft and warm, and feels nicely fluffy next to the skin. I've washed them several times and they are still very cosy and soft. Good value and it's also nice to find nightware for girls that isn't a sickly penicillin shade of pink.

Toshiba Portege R830-138 13.3 inch Laptop - Black (Intel Core i5 2520M 2.5GHz, RAM 4GB, HDD 500GB, DVD SuperMulti, LAN, WLAN, WWAN, BT, Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok laptop but badly faded keyboard, 13 Dec. 2014
I bought this laptop two years ago. I'm a writer and I touch type, so I was alarmed that after only six months the keyboard's most used letters (E, A, I) were beginning to fade. After a year the laptop keyboard was looking very scrappy. When I complained to Toshiba I was given some guff about it being 'wear and tear'. No I don't eat at the laptop and my fingers were never greasy. I had to buy those stick on keys which is unacceptable after only a year. I've attached a photo so you can see what I mean.

Apart from this issue the laptop was ok, but I would always make sure from now on that the keyboard is non fading
Comment Comment | Permalink

I Can Make You Hot!: The Supermodel Diet
I Can Make You Hot!: The Supermodel Diet
by Kelly Kill Bensimon

1.0 out of 5 stars I can make you hot - but I can't help with spelling, 4 Sept. 2014
According to Russell Simmons, who wrote the foreword to this silly book, Ms Bensimon is 'constantly instilling strong principals,' in her two daughters. Does this mean that she continually sets her children up with older learned men, which is how Ms Bensimon rose to her HOT model status. (She married, bred with and divorced arch modelizer Gilles Bensimon, a mere 24 years her senior).

As a former editor, this book could have done with realising that 'principal' means head of a learning institution and 'principle' means strong ethical beliefs. Although if you have ever watched Kelly Bensimon being incoherent, narcissistic and out of touch with reality, she probably belongs in an institution, learned or otherwise.

Lakonia Luxurious Single Guest Divan Bed
Lakonia Luxurious Single Guest Divan Bed
Offered by BEDEXPRESS

2.0 out of 5 stars Held together with a staple gun, 4 May 2014
For a start after sorting out a delivery date, I am phoned and told the van has broken down, and could they deliver on another day? Fine, so I wait in and get another phone call to say the van is outside. Only one man is delivering and the frame is heavy and awkward, impossible for one person to deal with. Luckily my partner is there to help him otherwise, it would be really difficult to get this frame into my house. 'What would you do if I wasn't here?' asks my partner. 'Leave it outside,' says the delivery man.

Get the bed frame and two mattresses inside. Discover that the frame is made of some cheap plywood stuff and the thin damask cover is literally stapled to it with the raw edges flapping about underneath. The bed is meant for my 10 year old daughter but there's no way it would last for more than a couple of years max. And if someone sits heavily on it, or (God forbid) bounces on the bed, it would break. I reckon the raw materials for this bed would not come to more than £50 but I paid £200 for it. Described as a 'luxurious' single guest bed? Do me a favour.

Oh and the letter accompanying this bed from Bed Express wants to check that I've had a good overall 'experiece' and offers their 'complimets'. I'm sending the bed back. Email the company and ask when they are going to collect it. 'They don't know but will phone me the day before.'

UPDATE:
In the interests of fairness, the return policy is swift. I phoned on Tuesday 6 May to ask when they were coming to collect their rubbish bed and on Wednesday I received a phone call to say their man would be with me in half an hour. Brownie points for phoning. The guy who turned up was cheerful and friendly.

And Bed Express, if you ever read these reviews: Why do only send one man to deliver and pick up your often VERY HEAVY beds? Stupid question really - to save money. Not only are your beds shoddy, so are your cheapo employment policies.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2014 11:29 AM BST

New Ladies Plain Short Cap Sleeve Casual Long Top Womens Round Crew Stretch Fit Bodycon T-Shirt Dress
Price: £5.40 - £5.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent wardrobe staple, 9 Jun. 2013
I'm tall and find it difficult to get good quality basics that don't ride up and leave my stomach on show. Ok in your twenties but not in your forties after two kids. But I don't want sensible 'frump' tops either. So these nicely fitted, stretchy tops or short dresses are perfect. Good colour - (I love burgandy) well fitted and I pop them on over jeans. They are not too tight but snug enough for you to layer them. The only reason I haven't given it a five out of five is I want to see how well they wash and generally last. I hope they do!

Instructions for Happiness and Success*: A step-by-step mind manual for creating the life you choose (*100% Guaranteed)
by Susie Pearl
Edition: Spiral-bound

2.0 out of 5 stars Another Insidious Manual of Mumbo Jumbo, 8 Mar. 2013
The excellent writer and deconstructionist of all things bull*** Barbara Ehrenreich, says in her book: Smile or Die - How Positive Thinking Fooled America and the World, that the dark underbelly of the self-help boom is that if it doesn't work then you only have yourself to blame. Because you didn't believe enough or love enough or in Susie Pearl's case, 'let go of positive outcomes' enough (?)

Instructions for Happiness and Success looks so promising - all sunshine yellow cover and the word 'instructions' in the title, a promise of steps towards, order, things unfolding. In fact it's about the law of attraction, so you visualise what you want and the universe replies. Wow, so all those kids picking up used needles off Bolivian rubbish tips just haven't asked the universe nicely enough. Yes I get that being positive is better than constant negativity but however hard you visualise and at the same time 'let go of positive outcomes' (how?) or leave cash round the house to attract money, if there are no jobs in your field, or 20 people chasing 1 job, there's not a lot the universe can do. Oh and all those who are worrying about paying bills - you are going about it the wrong way guys. 'Looking at debts day in day out will keep you in a downbeat place financially. By allocating a specific time to deal with your bills you will be taking control of your focus and giving yourself the best chance to staying in a good healthy vibration with your money.'

The positive thinking industry is worth billions and plays insidiously on our fears that we somehow attract bad things into our lives. Lost your job? Nothing to do with capitalism or the fact that the CEO has decided that one person can do two or three people's jobs. No it's all down to YOUR ATTITUDE. It stops people thinking about collective action because they are too busy blaming themselves. Do yourselves a favour people. Save your money and go to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy instead.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 8:15 AM BST

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert

2.0 out of 5 stars Eat Whinge Blub, 3 Oct. 2011
Eat Pray Love is the monologue of a Neurotic American Princess ("Liz") in her mid thirties. The first few chapters background the rest of the book, a confessional that tells how she is miserable in her marriage because she can't find herself. Now if she were a man she might buy a motorbike, squeeze into tight jeans or start chasing his secretary, but because this is a woman having a spiritual and existential crisis, we're meant to take her woes very very seriously.

I'm not unsympathetic to the miseries of finding yourself in a relationship where outwardly everything is ok, but you feel like you're dying on the inside. I thought for a short time, that this book might be an up to date version of the Gloria Steinham 'problem that has no name'. You know - when a woman lies next to her husband and thinks, 'Is this it?' And yes, I'm sure that a lot of men feel the same way.

But this writer needs to work much harder at convincing us that it's not all a giant, indulgent hissy fit. As I mentioned, imagine if a man wrote a spiritual journey of discovering his inner teenager? He could call it Eat, Drink, Shag. A bit of wry introspection or robust humour wouldn't come amiss either. It's very hard to feel sorry for someone who has money and choices and can take a year off.

Naturally, our heroine resolves to leave her husband. Her husband isn't keen but no matter as she has already met a yoga teacher! I had a male yoga teacher once. They nearly always have ponytails. Not attractive. But Liz doesn't mind because he's deep innit?

But divorce negotiations do drag on, leaving Liz, once again, crying and wailing. And David gets fed up and leaves her. So she goes on a year's holiday to cheer herself up. Where she meets more deep people, falls in love and eats carbs.

Oh for God sake. There is a good book in here struggling to get out, but it's SO INDULGENT. And for all her 'finding hereself' Ms Gilbert is constantly defining herself through a man, or turning a man into a project. Of course it's a bestseller though because its soupy sentimentality and fuggy self-help speak, talks directly to the Oprah generation, who like their spiritual truths in bullet points.

Read Jane Bussman's The Worst Date Ever, instead. It's much funnier and far more moving.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary and deserves a wide readership, 2 Oct. 2011
One of the many reasons to dislike the Catholic Church, apart from the obvious, is its romanticisation of poverty and suffering, particularly when it comes to the (mostly miserable) lives of its saints. This hideous dichotomy is made abundantly clear in Aileen La Tourette's wonderful account of the real life of one of its most famous saints, little Maria Goretti. There is a 'catholicisation' of Maria on the back cover, rosy cheeked, white skinned, a pretty scarf holding back the lush, curly hair. Poor and innocent but not in an ugly way. And on the front cover of the book is a photo of the real Maria Goretti, short, stunted with hunger and poverty, lice ridden hair, barefoot and loaded down with panniers. Like a child donkey.

A dead child donkey because before she reached her thirteenth birthday, a boy called Alessandro who was living with her family tried to rape her, and when she refused, he stabbed her over and over with a corn cutter. She was operated on without anaesthetic and died a few days later. Thirty five years after her death, the Pope needed a 'symbol' of purity to stop young Italian girls from falling into bed with the handsome American soldiers parading through the country. He chose the dead Maria, who suddenly became a symbol of holy purity, scrubbed up and sanctified in record time. But who was the real Maria?

It sounds grim but La Tourette digs through the saintly mumbo jumbo to find the real Maria Goretti, a hugely intelligent, pious and brave girl who is watching her mother from somewhere else, bemused and irritated at the way her real life has been twisted to suit the political machinations of the Catholic Church where it's better to be lying dead with multiple stab wounds than 'give in' to rape. We are taken through the her life and that of the boy Alessandro who after the murder, was 'encouraged' to say he had a 'vision' of Maria who forgave him, even though he saw no such thing. And despite the subject matter, the prose is so spare and lucid, that I read the book in one sitting.

Nexons Cassette Adaptor with Retractable Cable
Nexons Cassette Adaptor with Retractable Cable

1.0 out of 5 stars Great - if you want to listen to White Noise, 15 Jun. 2011
I plugged it in carefully - made sure it was the right way up, plugged in my fully charged ipod and . . . .nothing. No wait - when I turned the sound RIGHT UP I could hear the song very very very faintly, over a thick layer of white noise.

Total and utter waste of money. And to get the box open - it's like trying to get into the Pentagon such is the amount of thick plastic to cut through so I can't even send it back.

Page: 1 | 2