Profile for jimbomassive > Reviews

jimbomassive

Cuisinart SG20U Electric Spice and Nut Grinder Brushed, Stainless Steel
Cuisinart SG20U Electric Spice and Nut Grinder Brushed, Stainless Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Grinds well, breaks easily, 2 Oct 2014
Does a good job of grinding spices. However, the plastic inserts at the bottom of both bowls cracked and broke off - first one within a few months and second one within a year of what I consider to be fairly light use (probably once a week).

I'd hoped that by paying a bit more (this grinder is not at the cheap end of the range) I would get something hard-wearing, but sadly this is not the case.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 9, 2014 9:32 AM BST

XXL Jumbo cooking pot stockpot stainless steel 20 litres boiling pan saucepan
XXL Jumbo cooking pot stockpot stainless steel 20 litres boiling pan saucepan

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking huge pot!, 21 Sep 2014
I was looking for a freaking huge pot, to brew up some beer in it, so I ordered this. It's freaking huge. I am pleased. Another reviewer on here did not want a freaking huge pot, but she ordered it anyway. This made her sad, because she did not want a freaking huge pot, and it was very hard to send back and so she left a bad review. Check that you want a freaking huge pot before you order.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 6:14 PM GMT

VEO - Portable Adjust Stand Docks Holder Docking Station for PCs all 4-10 inch MID/Smart phone/E-reader/Tablet: Apple:iPad Mini, iPad 4 3 2; Android Tablets:Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Note 8.0 10.1; Google Nexus 7,10; Microsoft Surface Pro ; Acer B1; iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS, iPod; Android Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Ace,Note 2; HTC One, One X; LG Optimus 4X HD, I7; Nokia Lumia 920 900, Google Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, Sony Xperia Z; MP3, MP4
Offered by icestation

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand

5.0 out of 5 stars Nom, 31 Jan 2014
Bought this after trying out the Bengal tiger lentil curry when it was published in the Grauniad. That and the Rogan Mushroom recipe in this book are now two of my favourites. As well as some "classic" (from a Brits point of view) Indian dishes there several interesting unique Indian inspired recipes.

The recipes are generally very clear, and ingredients are specified "British style" (ie by weight, rather than by cups). My only criticism is that getting the right consistency on lentil dishes requires fairly specific amounts of water, and this is sometimes specified as eg "covering the lentils by 7.5cm" - this is a bit problematic as this means different amounts of water depending on the diameter of the saucepan. Though, adjusting later in the cooking process is not a big problem.

Massive 4A Output Quad 4 USB Ports Compact Rapid Mains Charger Plug Adapter Wall charger for Apple iPad Mini/4/3/2/1, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0/7.0 Plus/10.1, aPad/ePad Android Tablet PC , TomTom, Garmin, Galaxy s3, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s and many other devices and e-readers that can be charged via the wall socket (4A 4xUSB ports White & Blue)
Offered by InfoTechnica

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 17 Dec 2013
To decode some of the Chinglish on the box, and possibly explain why some people have problems:

There are four ports on this charger - two can provide 2A and two can provide 1A. However, if you use all four at once, they only provide 1A each (ie the 2A ports drop down to 1A).

This means that device will charge more slowly (or maybe not at all, depending on the device) if they are plugged into the the wrong port, or if 4 devices are being charged at once. (It's not 100% clear what happens for 3.

Obviously, this behaviour might or might not suit your needs.

4 stars because: The box should be rewritten less confusingly. The ports should be labelled with output, rather than by device. (Eg the "iPad" and "Galaxy Tab" tab ports are the same as each other, but different from the "iPhone" and "Galaxy S" ports, which is really not clear unless you study the box)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 3:38 PM BST

Gnawing Mineral Stone Treat For Rats
Gnawing Mineral Stone Treat For Rats
Offered by Country Life Services Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Less tasty than a bookcase, 26 Nov 2013
Hoped this would stop my rats gnawing things they shouldn't, but unfortunately, although they initially displayed an interest and dug out a couple of the treat bit inside, they have since ignored it completely. I guess my expensive wooden bookcase is just much tastier.

Genuine Samsung Micro USB Splitter Y Cable ET-AUDM6BEBXAR Samsung GT-N7100,GT-N7000,GT-i9300,GT-Ni9000,GT-i9100 Galaxy S,S1,S2,S3,Note 2,Note and Nexus -Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Useful but flimsey, 26 Nov 2013
This was really useful, but the build quality is poor. Within a few weeks of light use, one of the male connectors was coming loose, and then had stopped working within a month.

Auraglow BC/B22 Remote Controlled Colour Changing Light Bulb
Auraglow BC/B22 Remote Controlled Colour Changing Light Bulb
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cool, 25 Nov 2013
Quite pleased with these bulbs. I have two in the same room - 10W version for the made light, and 4.2W version lighting a walk-in cupboard (both controlled by the same switch). The colours are bright and vibrant. 10W version produces a decent, bright white light as well - nothing light daylight as another reviewer has claimed (your sun must be *way* darker than mine dude, no way a 10W bulb is ever gonna come close) but somewhere in between old incandescent 60W and 100W - closer to 100W. (4.2W version is a bit too dim as a main light for my taste but YMMV)

Stopping these bulbs hitting 5 stars: The special effect modes are a bit gimicky. Of the 5 special effects, I can only see myself ever really using the colour cycle mode. This would be much improved if a) The colour cycled much slower, so the effect was a bit less intense. b) The two different bulbs I have both start on the same colour, and go through the same transitions, but at different speeds. I'd hoped that they would be identical, so that they stay in sync. But this was never advertised, and still gives your neighbours the impression that you are being abducted by aliens / sucked into an interdimensional vortex, so it's all good.

Gelid Solutions Silent 12 Quiet PC Case Fan 120mm
Gelid Solutions Silent 12 Quiet PC Case Fan 120mm
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good solid fan, rubber mountings are fiddly, 18 Nov 2013
Cheap, effective and quiet, which is exactly what I was looking for. Others here claim they are reliable - I can't really comment yet, but I'll come back and adjust this view if it turns out to be wrong.

Not quite hitting 5 stars though, as installation with the supplied rubber fan mounts was a real fiddle. One side of the mounts fits neatly into the holes left in my case where the screws would go if screw mounting. The other side has to go into the fan, and considering they were designed for each other, you'd think that would be easy. Not so - some of the mounts popped in easily, some were nearly impossible to get through. Eventually, after blistering my fingers, I resorted to using silicone lubricant spray and some needle-nose pliers, which worked fairly easily. Not sure what I would have done if I didn't have the silicone, though.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe I'm missing an obvious trick that makes this job easy that isn't mentioned in the instructions. Either way, now I've got the knack of it, it wouldn't stop me buying this fan again.

Salter 1036 Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale - Black
Salter 1036 Slim Design Electronic Platform Kitchen Scale - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars So wrong, 28 Sep 2013
Just discovered after several months that my set of Salter kitchen scales is claiming that anything I weigh is nearly 50% lighter than it actually is. 500g bag of pasta allegedly weighs 256g, 600g pot of soup weighs in at 323g. Just goes to show that you shouldn't let that nice 1g digital display fool you into thinking that a set of scales are even remotely accurate to that level - it's always worth checking with known weights before you trust a device, something I totally failed to do.

Very disappointed, mostly because it means that my diet is about to get much much harder, now that I know everything weighs nearly twice as much as I thought it did. I'm now starting to look suspiciously at my Salter bathroom scales. I notice that if I get on them with a 500g weight, the reading only goes up by 300g, although I seriously hope that's not consistent across the whole range because if I really do weigh nearly twice as much as I thought I've got some quite serious issues.

Thanks a bunch, Salter. I never would have thought that scales could put such a massive downer on my day.