Profile for GoldfishGirl > Reviews

The God of Small Things
by Arundhati Roy
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm, 27 Oct 2011
I bought this to read a long with the Radio 4 bookclub. I found it really hard going. the writing is beautiful and lyrical but often the images aren't, sometimes they are quite disturbing. I just couldn't keep going as I didn't really care about the characters.

Paul for Everyone: The Prison Letters - Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians and Philemon (New Testament for Everyone)
by Tom Wright
Price: 6.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 27 Oct 2011
This book has been amazing. I've just finished the Ephesians section, reading one passage and it's corresponding comments each day. I have never been sad to finish a bible study before, but I've started reading it again because I really want to take it all in. It has been a pleasure to pick this book up every day.

Blind Spots in the Bible: Puzzles and Paradoxes That We Tend to Avoid
Blind Spots in the Bible: Puzzles and Paradoxes That We Tend to Avoid
by Adrian Plass
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars So good, 26 Sep 2011
This is such a fab book. It grabs you and says THINK!! The perfect antidote to repeat after me Christianity. I love the humility of the author, a book more about what he doesn't know than what he does. Strangely, movingly, exhilaratingly reassuring.

Unlocking the Bible
Unlocking the Bible
by David Pawson
Price: 8.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Erm not sure, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Unlocking the Bible (Paperback)
Well, it's a good start. I found the book a really helpful shove in the right direction i.e. read more of my bible. But I'm not sure I could whole heartedly recommend it, especially to a new Christian. I don't think there is anything really wrong with anything which is written in this book but the scale is so immense I found that some of it was confusing. This was really because the authors knowledge and opinions became a little muddled at times (No bad thing if it sends you rooting through the bible for something you're sure refutes his claim, a bad thing if it becomes a stumbling block.) I will certainly continue using this book when I do my bible study but I will also have a big bag of salt with me. Often I felt that some claims were left hanging in the air and should have had DISCUSS written just after them. A great book to challenge your biblical knowledge but not a one stop shop.