Profile for I Crompton > Reviews

Content by I Crompton

I Crompton (Derby, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)

4.0 out of 5 stars but not all PT - one of the bands I've liked some of their stuff, 18 Oct. 2014
I'd previously got / heard some, but not all PT - one of the bands I've liked some of their stuff. I'd never heard any SW, when I heard about about this LP. Tried it on youtube, and thought it was good enough to buy. I think its better than PT. Reminded me of Crimson sometimes - maybe its the mellotron & jazzier bits. Best track for me is Holy Drinker.

Open Your Eyes
Open Your Eyes

1.0 out of 5 stars I think that Yes are fantastic, but I think that its best to forget ..., 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Open Your Eyes (Audio CD)
I think that Yes are fantastic, but I think that its best to forget that this one ever happened. Awful AOR. I know that 90125 is AOR, but at least that had some originality, at the time, and good songs. Go and listen to Close To The Edge.

The Road Of Bones (2 Disc Set)
The Road Of Bones (2 Disc Set)

4.0 out of 5 stars Progtastic, 24 May 2014
As a prog & IQ fan, I had to buy this, and, yes, of course I like it. Gets better with every listen. There are some powerful & epic tracks - just try the first two. If you have heard IQ before, this is mostly the same sort of stuff as before. The first track of CD2 is a bit spikier though. Bits of some songs do remind me of previous IQ songs. Also lyrics sometimes cliched - "souls on fire..."
If you're a prog fan who hasn't heard IQ, you have to give them a try - this one is as good as any, or Frequency. If you are a general rock fan, who hasn't heard IQ before, try the 1st & 2nd tracks and see what you think. Like any prog stuff, you need to be prepared to listen a few times.

I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher
I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Download this, 12 April 2013
Buy this, to show your support for Maggie, rest in peace. Show the Left that a lot of people think that she was brill.

Les Revenants
Les Revenants

4.0 out of 5 stars Quiet Mogwai, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Les Revenants (Audio CD)
Yes, this is fine if you like "quiet" atmospheric Mogwai, such as Music For a Forgotten Future from Hardcore Will Never Die. If you're looking for loud Mogwai, put on Batcat. There are 12 short quiet instrumentals - no long epics. Plus "What are they doing in heaven today", a "traditional arrangement" with vocals. Then the last track "Wizard Motor" is more of a normal Mogwai album track, and reminds me of White Noise. 50 minutes of stuff overall.

Frequency
Frequency

4.0 out of 5 stars Top prog from IQ, 25 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Frequency (Audio CD)
Frequency is as good as IQ have ever done, so get this if you like their earlier stuff. You will know if you like their sound, but here there are three brilliant long tracks - Frequency, Ryker Skies and Province. If you like prog, but haven't heard IQ, this is as good an album to try first. If ever I become a professional darts player on Sky TV, I'll walk on to the start of Frequency.

Invicta
Invicta

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth hearing, 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Invicta (Audio CD)
I've been following The Enid since early 80's. I've got all their stuff. "Something Wicked.. " sounded very different from previous albums with addition of vocals. This is The Enid's most "vocal" album with addition of Joe Payne. He's very distinctive, and is a "proper" singer. The Enid have a different sound & feel from before. I've listened a few times, and I like it. Journey's End is a bit AOR for me. There's only one instrumental track, and this is a version of a track from Journey's End. Well done to RJG and everyone for this album.

Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!
Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend!

4.0 out of 5 stars GSY!BE return, 25 Nov. 2012
I didn't notice that this had appeared for about 3 weeks. I wondered if Godspeed were not coming back. Although SMZ are brill too. Same sort of thing as before, so if you didn't like "Raise Your Skinny Fists" then you won't like this. There are two long tracks, and two shorter ones. My fave is "We drifted like worried fire".

Forever Live
Forever Live

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning double live from IQ, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Forever Live (Audio CD)
The double live prog lp is here, with stunning effort from IQ. Powerful prog tracks are here including the best ones for me, Nostalgia, Falling apart at the seams, and Headlong. NB There is no drum solo.

Astral Voyage
Astral Voyage

4.0 out of 5 stars Jolly good, 19 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Astral Voyage (Audio CD)
The date on my cd is 1985. I hadn't listed to it for a while, but after listening again, sorry I've decided to keep this one rather than ebay it. The style of this is still very much like Kitaro's earlier work (Silk Road, Tunhuang, etc), and is worth finding in my view if you like this sort of stuff. I'm not keen on his later stuff.

Page: 1 | 2