Profile for Marie B. Stein > Reviews

Content by Marie B. Stein

Marie B. Stein "mariestein" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Jill Kismet: The Complete Series
Jill Kismet: The Complete Series
by Lilith Saintcrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 7 Aug 2013
Once I started reading the first story, I simply couldn't put the book down! The story just becoming more fun and intriguing through all six stories until the final novel which is one heck of a good climax! Ms Saintcrow knows how to spin a great yarn and certainlhy gripped my attention from the get-go.

This is one of my first forays into the supernatural urban fantasy world and I thoughroughly enjoyed it and will be coming back for in future. I've read the Dante Valentine novels and they were also great fun, but I think I preferred Jill Kismet's world.

For those of you who haven't read this genre before: there's a lot of very strong language and swearing, plus those of you who are religious might find certain aspects of the stories a bit challenging. But the stories are essentially a moral tale and it is Jill Kismet's job to hunt and kill the agents of evil. I think we all enjoy it when the good guys win!

Excellent value for money in the complete set. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

DMC Needlework Threads Printed Color Card COLORCRD
DMC Needlework Threads Printed Color Card COLORCRD
Offered by supermart USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately worth the investment, 13 Mar 2013
This is a very useful and well designed product. It contains good size samples of DMC's threads. It's very well presented and a really good investment for those us of who sew a lot and want the best results from our hobby.

I'd originally intended to purchase the basic shade card which doesn't include thread, but costs about a third of the price. I'm glad I decided to invest in this one because I don't always use DMC thread, but with the proper guide I can make sure that the less expensive threads are as close as possible to the DMC colours.

The threads themselves are arranged over 5 pages inside a substantial cardboard fold out wallet, which also includes some helpful information about the different types of thread. The threads themselves are shown in colour blocks and the whole thing is very attractive - definately worth the money!

Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel
Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel
by Jim Butcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time is even better!, 3 Jan 2013
Every time I read a new Dresden book, I'm absolutely exhausted and exhilarated by the end, just keeping up with the fantastic plot and the non-stop action. Especially so after "Cold Days". I'd been so looking forward to seeing how Harry gets back to the mortal world and how he'd interact again with his brother and Karrin et al, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. Very interesting storyline about Mab and other immortals, though still a lot of important characters who Harry has yet to meet after his return, so hopefully there is plenty more to come. Plus there were some really good twists to develop in future stories so here I am again, ticking off the days to the next book....

This book is worth every bit of the 5 stars I've given, but if I was marking out of 10, I'd probably knock half a mark off for a very specific reason. Jim Butcher is fantastic at writing the Dresdent set piece stories - he's got it down to a charm, with the non-stop action, 24 hour deadlines, new characters, old characters, and the amazing epic showdowns. And he manages, extremely well, to develop the characters and to let us get to know them in the course of each story. But I'm missing some familiar aspects of Harry's pre-CD world - the apartment, the Blue Beetle, Mister the cat, things that gave the action a grounding in some sort of every day reality, as did some of the shorter stories in "Side Jobs". Of course Harry always ends up in some even more epic battle at the end of each book, but I enjoy the more mundane stuff as well and hope we get a bit more of a mix in the next books.

As with every Dresden book, the second time of reading is always my favourite! There are so many details and I always miss loads of them first time round. Some of the most important plot developments happen in the course of a couple of sentences, easily missed, and I'm sure I'll find even more when I read the book again. Can't recommend this series of books enough!

Star Trek: Typhon Pact, Raise the Dawn
Star Trek: Typhon Pact, Raise the Dawn
by David R., III George

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisko gets some proper attention!, 15 Oct 2012
If you're a DS9 fan as I am, you'll be pleased to hear that Sisko is one of the main characters in this and the previous novel (Plagues of Night) and it's a real pleasure to see him and his story get some proper attention at last. Without giving anything away, it was good to see his journey progressing and one phase of his life coming to an end. I'm looking forward to see how his story developes in the future. Great also to see other DS9 characters, especially Kira, Odo and of course Cassidy Yates, in these books.

Otherwise the story of the Typhon Pact, the Andorians and the Romulans moves along and brings us to another crunch point. So many old faces make an appearance, you'll not be disappointed.

I've always enjoyed the author's epic writing style, especially in the DS9 relaunch books, and it's good to read more of his work here. I've always felt taht he understands the DS9 world very well and I hope that he gets to play in the DS9 universe again in teh near future. Hope you enjoy these books as much as I have.

DARKER SIDE OF THE MOON "They" Are Watching Us!
DARKER SIDE OF THE MOON "They" Are Watching Us!
by Rob Shelsky

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much information about the moon!, 16 Sep 2012
I purchased this book thinking that there would be an interesting discussion about the meaning of the many reports of UFOs and strange lights etc on the moon. Perhaps some information about sightings from the far side of the moon, where it is rumoured that alien bases could be located. I'd hoped that there would be some information and more indepth discussion about more recent events, including those reported by various astronauts during their visits to the moon and members of the ISS, the space shuttles and the like.

So I was disappointed to find that the main "subject matter" in terms of lunar events is based on a recent NASA report, listing several hundred reports of lunar events from the late 16th century.

In fact, most of this book is given to the authors's discussion on whether the many reports of UFOs on earth and on the moon can be accepted as being "alien visitations" based on the Occam's Razor principle. It was an interesting discussion and being open minded to the likelihood that certain UFO sightings could be of non-earth origin, I found it an entertaining discussion. So if you are looking for a book that discusses the likelihood of alien visitations and you are already open-minded to the idea, then you'll probably find this book to be interesting. I doubt it would convince hardened sceptics to the idea, but then it's probably not written with them in mind.

But I was disappointed about the absence of new information about lunar events. There isn't even a map of the moon so the references to Plato Crater or Aristarchus Crater as being centres of unexlpained events meant nothing until I found one of my trusty old Patrick Moore books and found where they were. And over 50 pages of the book is a list of the events listed in the NASA report plus links to relevant websites, not even "reading material".

I'm not saying this is a bad book. But don't buy it if you're looking for information about recent sightings and a more formal discussion about possible UFOs on the moon.

The Romulan War to Brave the Storm (Star Trek: Enterprise)
The Romulan War to Brave the Storm (Star Trek: Enterprise)
by Michael A. Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant but worth the read, 24 Jan 2012
I was really looking forward to this book, after the first in the 2 part series left me looking forward to the sequel. I always thought that the story of the Romulan War needed to be told and was pleased that the subject was, at last, getting the attention it deserved.

I don't really have much to add to the specific comments made in the first 2 reviews. I agree that the story felt a bit disjointed in this second book and that the continued focus on Archer, Trip and T'Pol was frustrating - so little time given to the other Enterprise crew members although there were some developments in their story lines. Mostly I was disappointed that there wasn't more about the founding of the Federation, which is a shame as Mr Martin developed some good characters from the other races and I'd have been happy to read more about them and maybe a bit more of the politics involved.

Also, most of the prior books in the Enterprise storyline have been really good and Mr Martin set himself a very high benchmark with the first Romulan War book, so it was always going to be difficult to match up to that high standard.

But I'd still be happy to read more about these characters and their timeline. There is a lot of Trek history to be told between Enterprise and TOS and I'd like to read more about how the Federation grew and some of the missions during that century.

Not one of the best Trek books, but not a bad one and definately worth reading to find out how the Romulan War comes to an end.

Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One
Storm Front: The Dresden Files Book One
by Jim Butcher

4.0 out of 5 stars A blistering good romp!, 9 Dec 2011
I was exhausted after I read this book! And for a very good reason! By the time we reach the final chapters, Harry Dresden has been chased by police, demons, vampires, the local mafia boss (I'm sure I'm missing out a few others....) all within a few days and in one long non-stop action sequence. And as I'm reading the rest of the series, I realise that this is one of Jim Butcher's techniques - basically to subject Dresden into as much drama, action and intrigue as possible in a non-stop romp which captures the reader and drags you along with it! Most of the time I feel as though I'm hanging on to the story by the tails of Dresden's duster coat by my teeth! It's great fun!

I came across Dresden by seeing the series on Sky and was disappointed that it came to an end. I thought that Paul Blackthorne was really good in the role and it wsa great to see some adult majic fiction on tv. I think it probably didn't work so well on tv though because the tv series simply couldn't bring us the long complex action sequences and also some of the content of the books really is quite adult in nature, so would limit the tv viewership. Instead the tv series ends up being a watered down version of the books. But it did introduce me to Dresden so that was a good thing.

The reason I didn't give 5 stars is that I felt that the story could have benefitted from a bit more detail and background about the adult world of wizards and majic. It's a bit like an adult Harry Potter but without as much of the atmosphere provided by the world of Hogwarts and the "lore" that surrounds the Potter universe. I have read the next couple of books in the Dresden series and you do, of course, pick up more of his backstory and more about his wizardly world as you go along, but this is one aspect that could have added a bit more weight to the book.

But it's still a fantastic, fun read and pretty well impossible to put down once you've got to the main action sequence! The next 2 books in the series have been just as much fun and I'm putting the rest on my wish list for Christmas. Great stocking fillers for the price, if anyone is listening!!

What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard)
What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard)
by Dayton Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Another success in a brilliant series!, 9 Dec 2011
The "Vanguard" series is most certainly, in my opinion, the best original star trek fiction. I've read nearly ALL of the Trek books over the past 15 years or so and along side the DS9 relaunch, the Destiny series and the recent Romulan War books, this is one of the best series, Trek or otherwise, I have ever read. And the success is all the more amazing because it deals with a completely new set of characters and storyline, yes familiar races and one or two familiar faces, but most of the lead characters are new to the Trek world. The fact that I care about their fates just as much as the TV characters is a real testament to the authors, who have written the books; David Mack, Kevin Dilmore, Dayton Ward and Marco Palmieri.

Whenever one of the Vanguard books comes out, I simply have to shut myself off from the world for the weekend and read it from cover to cover. And this one is no different! It takes you on a couple of years and gives you some perspective from Pennington - who I think is my favourite character - as well as Reyes. The plot develops further and once again, I'm left hanging on for the next, and final part of the story!

I think that the Vanguard series has been so good because of the fantastic combination of authors and the mix of science, action and political intrigue. Each small part of the long and detailed story is important and I'm looking forward to reading the whole lot again from the beginning in the next couple of years.

So a request to the "Powers That Be" in the world of Trek fiction. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS SERIES END!! It is without a doubt one of the best things you've ever given us and it would be a shame not to give us more about this fantastic mix of characters and plot!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY, 4 Aug 2010
Please be aware that this book DOES NOT contain the novels listed in the title. What it contains is a summary of the novels listed drawn from Wikipedia, each only a few pages long. I had assumed it was a good way of buying a number of out of print novels and was EXTREMELY ANGRY to receive a slim paperback, about 25 pages long, with only summaries of the stories.

WHAT IT IS IN REALITY IS A WAY TO GET YOU TO JOIN AN ONLINE BOOK CLUB. But even this information is difficult to find - it isn't in the book and actually I only found out when I saw this item listed on Waterstones website. And that doesn't mean that the books listed are available. Once you've logged onto the publishers website, you find that you are invited to join a book club for $14.99 a month with teh first month free and download free books online. I assumed that the book I wanted (Babylon 5 Out of the Darkness) would be available - otherwise why are they bothering to print its' synopsis? But no, I couldn't find any Peter David novels listed, whether I searched by title, author or ISBN number. I'm pretty good at finding my way around online libraries, bookshops etc so can only assume that the novels aren't available to download. Otherwise I'm missing something VERY OBVIOUS. In the meantime, I've ended up purchasing a used copy of the novel from Amazon.co.uk for a much higher price.

Now I rarely write bad reviews of products anywhere and I know that I could probably send the item back to AMazon for a refund on the basis that the description of the book was totally misleading. I probably will once I've calmed down. BUT I WANT TO ENSURE THAT NOBODY ELSE WHO IS HOPING TO PURCHASE NOVELS WRITTEN BY PETER DAVID WASTES MONEY ON THIS PRODUCT.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2010 12:46 AM BST

RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening (RHS)
RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening (RHS)
by Christopher Brickell

5.0 out of 5 stars A very beautiful and informative bood, 12 Aug 2009
I know absolutely nothing about gardening but have recently started planting various plants in pots on my balcony. So investing in this book might seem a bit of an "overkill" to learn about a few plants but I didn't know what else to buy and I wanted something that had everything in one place. I read all of the existing reviews and thought that if I didn't like it or didn't use it, then I could give it away as a present. The fact that it has sections on gardening in containers and on several of my favourite flowers (lilies, sweet peas - the easy things!) was very important.

And I'm absolutely delighted with it. First of all, it is a beautiful tome which is printed on thick glossy paper and has hundreds of wonderful colour pictures and diagrams. It includes information that helps beginners like me - such as a glossary with basic gardening and plant terms that I just didn't understand - and all of the written content is well laid out in sections that make it easy to follow. I've spent a lot of time reading through sections on things such as growing fruit and vegetables and now have some very healthy looking raspberry plants which I would never have grown before! And there is a further section on indoor gardening which is great for those like me with limited outdoor space.

I appreciate that a lot of the information in this book might be regarded as "general gardening knowledge" to gardening experts. However for those who want to find all of the information they need in one place as well as somewhere to learn a lot more, this book comes highly recommended. And as and when I live in a house with a garden again, I'll be able to grow many of the larger plants and plan my garden with the advice given in the book!

The only problem now is that having read some information about the various plants covered in this book, I now want to know more about the individual plants themselves and the various varieties so next year, I'm planning to invest in the RHS Encyclopedia of Plants to go alongside this one.

Page: 1 | 2