Profile for Val > Reviews

Dynasty Wooden Beaded Curtain Door Screen Diamonds
Dynasty Wooden Beaded Curtain Door Screen Diamonds
Offered by Doorweb

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 1 July 2016
it looks lovely - just a bit short, maybe 7 inches short and some floes come in that way.

The nearly man
The nearly man
by Otto Meth-Cohn

5.0 out of 5 stars I was amazed that Otto had been able to find the letters ..., 3 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The nearly man (Paperback)
I was amazed that Otto had been able to find the letters from his mother to other members of the family during those appalling times for Jewish people during WW2. They make the story of his early life so immediate and moving. I like to use Otto as an example of someone whose childhood was really traumatic, and yet who forged his own very successful career, and always seems so sunny and cheerful - as on the front cover! Knowing Jean, as I do, I was also delighted to hear the full story of how they got together. Even the chemistry part of the book is easy for a non-chemist to read, and reveals Otto's determination to stand up for himself, and make his mark.

10 Pairs 15 Denier Knee Highs - Range of Colours (Navy)
10 Pairs 15 Denier Knee Highs - Range of Colours (Navy)
Offered by The Tight Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 22 Nov. 2015
they haven't enough grip at the top so they don't stay UP.

The Hundred Foot Journey [DVD]
The Hundred Foot Journey [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lasse Hallström

4.0 out of 5 stars Food is happiness, 3 May 2015
Lovely, feel-good film. Great acting and wonderful scenery. A bit thin on practical details, like how things were financed or resourced, but the human relationships were nuanced and fascinating.

The Imitation Game [DVD]
The Imitation Game [DVD]
Dvd ~ Benedict Cumberbatch

4.0 out of 5 stars The misfit who won the war., 3 May 2015
This review is from: The Imitation Game [DVD] (DVD)
A very fine film. I enjoyed the whole thing and felt that I learned a lot. However, at the end one of our group who knew the subject very well, offered a long list of factual discrepancies. So - it's a story, a drama, and worked very well as such, and it was true to the spirit of what happened at Bletchley Park, if not the letter.

Wild Olives: Life in Majorca With Robert Graves
Wild Olives: Life in Majorca With Robert Graves
by William Graves

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild Olives, a good read, 9 Jun. 2014
I'd been to Mallorca, but not to Deya, and wanted to know more about the island and Robert Graves. This book was in the villa that we rented, and I had started reading it.His son describes a sort of paradise in the post-war years, but one's view of Graves inevitably suffers somewhat; rather a nightmare to live with! William Graves's intimate recollection brings Mallorca and its people splendidly to life.

The World We Made: Alex McKay's Story from 2050
The World We Made: Alex McKay's Story from 2050
by Jonathon Porritt

5.0 out of 5 stars A provocative lesson in how to survive to 2050, 16 Jan. 2014
The book gives a totally new perspective on the environmental challenges the world faces. Porritt writes as if he's a thoughtful citizen living in 2050 and reviewing the difficult times he's lived through - some horrendous - before world leaders really got the message and became realistic about cutting 'greenhouse' emissions, slowing human population growth and so on. His world is now very high-tech, but sustainable at something around 8.5 billion people. It is hopeful for the future of the planet, but shows clearly the difficult steps we have to take to get there.

It's written in an intimate style - almost chatty. There are wonderful illustrations - seeming photographs of the future world and key events that got us there. There are jottings in handwriting and informal tables, that make complex points in a single page. I just loved it, and have bought more copies to give to people who I think ought to read it - people like research physicists, or those involved in political decision-making. It ought to be in every secondary school.

Remembrance of Things Past Volume One: 1 (Classics of World Literature)
Remembrance of Things Past Volume One: 1 (Classics of World Literature)
by Marcel Proust

2.0 out of 5 stars A heavy read., 13 Oct. 2013
A book I felt for years was one I OUGHT to read. I got to about page 60 and gave up, although I might return to it sometime.

(400 lumen) GU10 LED, Warm White Downlight; High efficiency LED; Brighter than many other 5 watt, 6 watt & 7 watt LED bulbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light, 13 Oct. 2013
Very low energy use - bright straight away. Easy to fit.
I'm gradually changing all my house bulbs to LED

The Age of Stupid  [DVD]
The Age of Stupid [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pete Postlethwaite
Offered by *Rare-Film-Finders*

3.0 out of 5 stars A confusing message, 13 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Age of Stupid [DVD] (DVD)
Heard a lot about it.
I found some of the sub-stories, especially the Indian Airline boss, very contradictory to the overall message. I would not recommend it to people who doubt climate change.

Page: 1 | 2