Profile for englishrose > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Hostage
Hostage
by Kristina Ohlsson

2.0 out of 5 stars Plot-driven, not character-led, political thriller disappoints this reader, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Hostage (Paperback)
As a huge fan of Kristina Ohlsson's previous thrillers, I expected to enjoy this just as much. But I didn't. First, there was much less emphasis on the characters, which was one of Ohlsson's strengths as a writer in her other works, and second, the overall thrust was that of a political thriller, a genre I don't like. Unless it's written by a master such as John Le Carre, who fully develops each character and shows how his or her personality drives the action, I find political thrillers a real bore. I really don't care about fictional political situations. I do care about the reality of politics, of course, and for this I read the newspapers and watch television news programmes. I don't like politics to impinge on literary fiction, unless it's a very minor part of the plot.

The Scandinavians are usually masters - and mistresses! - of the character-led thriller. Frederica Bergman, Ohlsson's main investigator, has in previous novels been well developed and believable. Here, she's just a cipher in an action-orientated plot that relies far too heavily on modern terrorist cliches. And Sweden's far-left international politics don't appeal to me, either. So to find the very liberal political views of modern Scandinavia mingled with unlikely and unlikeable terrorist characters and plots was a complete turnoff for me.

I hope Ohlsson returns to the character-led type of novel at which she excels. But in future, I'll read the plot synopsis carefully before I buy and not just assume that, because I like a novelist's previous works, I'll necessarily enjoy the most recent.

In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist
In the Courtyard of the Kabbalist
by Ruchama King

4.0 out of 5 stars I loved Ms King's debut novel, 24 Sept. 2014
I loved Ms King's debut novel, "Seven Blessings", and I was expecting to enjoy this one just as much. Unfortunately, I didn't - but this is still a very good story, told with compassion and insight. I just couldn't empathize as fully with her main characters here, Isaac and Tamar, as I did with those of "Seven Blessings". Nor did the characterization reach as deep as in that debut novel. But it is a good read, interesting and worth while. I'm looking forward to more from this talented writer.

Seven Blessi
Seven Blessi
by Ruchama King

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful novel! Really beautifully written, 24 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Seven Blessi (Paperback)
A wonderful novel! Really beautifully written, with characters you come to really care about, this novel explores the many pitfalls in trying to arrange a marriage, and gives a moving depiction of the Orthodox Jewish way of life in Jerusalem. I'm not Orthodox, but I did have the good fortune to live in Jerusalem for a while, and this book totally captures the feel and spirit of that wonderful city. I wanted the difficult main charactes to find and fall for each other, and kept rooting for them.

If love, spirituality, and life in modern Orthodox Jerusalem interest you, you'll love this book.

254 - Sakkas Solid Embroidered Gypsy / Bohemian Full / Maxi / Long Cotton Skirt - Brown/One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted!, 11 Sept. 2014
I love this skirt! I'm a big fan of gypsy skirts in general, especially for summer, but I didn't have one in brown, which is a really useful colour for me because it doesn't show grass stains, food spills, and so on, all of which can happen on picnics! I was a bit concerned it might not fit, but it's just fine, and I'm a standard size 14. The length is good, too, and it's lined so not indecent!

The Fashion File: Advice, Tips and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of 'Mad Men'
by Janie Bryant

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you're into "Mad Men", 11 Sept. 2014
I didn't realize this book would be so heavily based on the "Mad Men" characters and styles. I haven't seen the series, so am now watching anxiously for it to be repeated somewhere in the ether! I did enjoy it, because fashion always interests me as does the way stylists create an overall "look". But I wouldn't have bought it if I'd know how many times the TV series was going to be referenced. Not a waste of money, but not really for me. But I'm keeping it, just in case the series is rerun somewhere, some time.

Cosmetic Bag / Canvas Makeup Bag / Morning Garden
Cosmetic Bag / Canvas Makeup Bag / Morning Garden
Offered by Handbag Queen UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, 11 Sept. 2014
This product arrived very quickly and is exactly what I expected. A medium sized, pretty pouch which fits easily into all my handbags and carries all the makeup I take around with me - lippie, blotting papers, nail scissors, nailfile, pressed powder and comb. I enjoy using it because it's such a lovely print! Sturdy, too, so won't wear out quickly. Would definitely buy again.

Forever England Sophie Cosmetic Bag
Forever England Sophie Cosmetic Bag
Offered by SelectiveGoods

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but bigger than expected, 11 Sept. 2014
This bag arrived on time and looked like its picture, so I was happy with it, but I hadn't realized quite how thick it was. It proved a good bit larger than I'd expected, despite the measurements given in its description. As a result it was hard to fit into smaller size handbags. I'm keeping it to take on holiday in an overnight bag. A very attractive product, even so.

trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil 20 ml
trilogy Certified Organic Rosehip Oil 20 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Best overnight moisturizer for my sensitive skin, 11 Sept. 2014
I have a very thin, senstive skin and am constantly battling with rosacea, especially in the cold weather. Even in summer, however, my skin still reacts badly to many products. I love this rosehip oil because it moisturizes without causing any problems. I put it on at night - I use the dropper to leave 2-3 drops in the palm of my hands, then rub my palms together and gently pat the oil into my skin. It sinks in at once. In the morning I'm left looking satisfyingly dewy and with no greasy residue at all. I'll keep buying this product as long as it's being made!

The Rhythm Of The Saints
The Rhythm Of The Saints

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 11 Sept. 2014
What can you say about perfection? A magical, spellbinding, hypnotic CD which I'm playing over and over, somewhat obsessively! As good as "Graceland", which is the highest praise I can offer. The songs, the instrumentation, the lyrics, the gorgeous music, all make up a disc which I know I'll love for the rest of my life - if it survives my continual playing of it!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2014 11:16 PM GMT

The Fifth Season (Malin Fors 5)
The Fifth Season (Malin Fors 5)
by Mons Kallentoft

2.0 out of 5 stars Untypically gory, 11 Sept. 2014
I loved the previous Malin Fors series. Detective Malin is a very real character in all of them, battling her alcoholism bravely and trying hard to handle both her career and her daughter - someone all working women can identify with, even if they're not alcoholic! But this book was really hard to read. Full of gory detail, which is not at all like its forerunners, and therefore, for me, not enjoyable but rather repellent. I didn't finish it. I'll go back and reread the others in the series, but this one's headed for the charity shop

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9