Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Re-Attraction: How to Get Your Woman Back in 30 Days or Less
Re-Attraction: How to Get Your Woman Back in 30 Days or Less
Price: 6.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it, save yourself, 11 Feb 2014
Although this sadly did not work for me, I understood and learnt a lot about women... had known it before I wouldn't have screwed up my relationship and lost the only woman I ever loved.
Don't wait until you get dumped, read it NOW, save yourself.

Elvis - The King - Double CD
Elvis - The King - Double CD
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful collection, 16 Jun 2013
This really IS the very best of Elvis Presley, all the biggest hits you can remember are here featured. Highly recommended!

Ronnie
Ronnie
by Ron Wood
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars I want to believe..., 14 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ronnie (Paperback)
I found this book really entertaining and interesting: Ron Wood's tales are a lot and you never get bored while reading his autobiography.

Nevertheless, every story sounds amazing as long as it's true, fantasy has no room into a biography. It shouldn't.
So, when I got to a precise point though the book, I felt some reasonable doubts about what I was listening to...

What is really impressive to me is the number of famous musicians and, in general, celebrities that Ron happens to have run into, from Jimi Hendrix to Clapton, Muhammad Ali, George Harrison, Elvis and just anyone you may name: Ron has jammed, partied or made friends with all of them (except he apparently never met Hitler, Jesus and Cleopatra).
After all he's a member of The Rolling Stones, one of the most famous rock bands on earth, and it's very likely he's got this kind of opportunities all the time.

I want to believe him, I want to believe it all... but when I read that one day Peter Grant (the legendary Led Zeppelin's manager, for the few that don't know his name) gave him a call claiming that Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham wanted him to be the guitarist for the "New Yardbirds" and, having Ronnie Wood turned him down twice, "they hired Jimmy Page instead"... come on man! What are you talking about??
The problem is that he apparently wasn't joking at all, and this got me a little concerned about the rest I read until the last page being genuine. Let's say that at this particular point I was seriously considering to put the book down. Forever.

Hammer of the Gods: Led Zeppelin Unauthorised
Hammer of the Gods: Led Zeppelin Unauthorised
by Stephen Davis
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 3 Jan 2011
So much has been written about this book so far... it's a kind of a classic indeed, so I have not so much to add.

I usually am keen on reading autobiographies, where the author says "I", but this one, despite being sold as unauthorized biography, is very well written and doesn't have a "gossip smell" or anything like that, writing stuff as "they say that...", and I really appreciate this.

That said, I finished the book in 4 days as I found it interesting from the beginning to the very last page. I had no idea Led Zeppelin was such a madness in its days (taking for granted that all here stated is true), and sometimes I was really impressed by what i read.
Equal space is given to all the characters, the 4 in the band, Peter Grant, Richard Cole, etc., so that it's a true story of Led Zeppelin and their world.

A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes
A Brief History Of Time: From Big Bang To Black Holes
by Stephen Hawking

1.0 out of 5 stars A brief history... way too brief., 3 Jan 2011
First I must say than I'm no scientist or genius to judge Stephen Hawking's work: I'm not a physicist, astrophysicist nor I have a proper education to write a critical review about THIS subject, althogh I hold a scientific degree.

All I can say is: how boring is this book? Obviously if you're not an expert it is impossible to understand all the passages to their detail, and you have to take most of informations for granted, but this reading tastes too much as an anthology of lots of school books that made me sleepy with their short accounts of big bang, galaxies, quantum mechanics etc.

OK, if I'm not interested in astrophysics I'd better choose another book to read, but I was interested in Hawking's worldwide reputation, and this was supposed to be his best-seller. As I often read science books it did make sense to me.

Unfortunately I believe that pressing all this stuff into 200 pages is really too much of an effort, and the result is of little interest to me, sorry. I had a real job reading this small book, I dropped it some 10 times, and I was finally relieved when it came to an end.

As I repeat, no judgement about the scientist or his writing work from a scientific point of view, just a "general public reader" impression, strictly personal.

Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
Eric Clapton: The Autobiography
by Eric Clapton

2.0 out of 5 stars 100 too many pages..., 8 Dec 2010
I didn't know any details about Eric Clapton's private life, other than the most famous ones, but, as always happens, to hear everything by the man's very voice, tastes totally different.
Actually, reading this book, I haven't changed my opinion about Clapton from good to better and, to be totally honest, I have found it really boring at certain times, probably because the author's final aim isn't the readers' amusement (and this can be understood), it rather is to tell his sensations through a long career with really good and really bad times. So, while I found Clapton's experience of getting sober a honest and probably helpful story to people with the same problems, I also suffered reading about his personal family situation nowadays... really, no need to tell us everything about his latest happy family: it was fair enough to tell he was happy and save us a heavy final part of this book that doesn't add a thing to the musician's autobiography.
Sometimes also, is very easy to feel Clapton's detachment from our mortal beings' world: how he's happy with his Ferraris collection, his new mega-yacht and the countless houses owned here, there and everywhere really is not relevant to other people, fans included.
This is a personal opinion, but I'm much more pleased to read other rockstars' biographies, as this one really contains lots of useless pages.
That said, now I'm sure I don't envy Mr. Clapton at all.

Stephen Fry in America
Stephen Fry in America
by Stephen Fry
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A very personal book, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Stephen Fry in America (Paperback)
I didn't know Stephen Fry, for I'm not even British, but I've always thought that limiting your reads to the authors you know is quite silly.
Honestly, I was attracted by the cover art, very well done, filled as it is with colors and American famous images (and who isn't?).
Some reviews I read gave me an idea of what I would have found, so I wasn't all that disappointed; anyway it's useful to note that the book's title is "Stephen Fry in America", and not just "America"... this is the key to it all. The whole story is centered on te author's feelings and thoughts about places he sees and people he meets, often spending pages about detailed experiences as lobster fishing, fire-fighting, etc. that I found very boring.
It's definiely not a travel guide, therefore, if you are looking for an illustrated atlas or so this is not a good choice.

Stephen Fry is not too shy to clearly and often express his own ideas, but I felt the book is written by a Briton for Britons mainly, as the comparison between America and Great Britain is often used, and some passages are not quite clear to a foreigner.

The only negative point I personally found, but this is my personal opinion only, is that sometimes the long lists Stephen makes are really too long... adjectives lists, names lists, etc.

One last comment: along the book you can see repeated at least a thousand times that America doesn't get cheese. Does Britain?

The Time Traveller: One Man's Mission To Make Time Travel A Reality
The Time Traveller: One Man's Mission To Make Time Travel A Reality
by Bruce Henderson
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A stimulating read, 24 Nov 2010
Prof. Mallett ain't an ordinary person, of course, he's a worldwide known scientist and certainly a pioneer who might one day be really famous, as Einstein is nowadays.

The topic of his book can't be considered the simplest in the world, being based on Theory Of Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, nevertheless this is not an academic paper and turns out to be a very fascinating read, enriched with personal stories, feelings and anecdotes.

Readers interested in extreme physics and time travel will find the book really amazing, perhaps a little too "human-centered" from a scientific point of view, but that's not fiction, and the conclusion Prof. Mallett comes to is fascinating.

White Line Fever: Lemmy - The Autobiography
White Line Fever: Lemmy - The Autobiography
by Lemmy

5.0 out of 5 stars Onest story of an honest man, 24 Nov 2010
Lemmy is THE rock 'n' roller par excellence, therefore his true story is as amazing as you might expect it to be.

Lemmy is above all an honest man, a very down-to-earth guy and a very smart and gentle person: being nothing like a rockstar, his autobiography doesn't need to schock "regular" people with crazy anecdotes. He simply tells about himself in a very natural and friendly way, as if he were talking to you at dinner.
In other words, if you are hungry for extreme dirty stories about offensive behaviours and filthy details about a celebrity's life, just search elsewhere, there's a lot of cursed biographies around whose covers tease the reader with warnings like "unsuitable to sensitive audience" etc.

Personally, after reading just half a page, I was helpless with laughter, so I dare to say that most part of the book is pure fun. It's not a humour book of course, and you really can listen to this great man's genuine story.
You won't be disappointed if you take it the right way.

Vado a vivere a New York
Vado a vivere a New York
by Stefano Spadoni
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars UNA GUIDA DAVVERO ECCELLENTE, 12 Nov 2010
Non ho avuto il piacere di leggere l'edizione precedente del libro di Stefano Spadoni, non posso quindi evidenziare quanto questa nuova versione abbia da offire in più rispetto alla prima. Tuttavia, come dice (a ragione) lo stesso Autore, il libro nasce per essere una raccolta di informazioni estremamente preziose riguardo la città di New York (e per certi versi tutti gli Stati Uniti), che non sempre sono facili da reperire, tantomeno da una sola fonte.

Lo stile in cui il libro è scritto è davvero piacevole e, anche per chi non è veramente interessato a trasferirsi olreoceano, costituisce una lettura interessante che non mancherà di portare un arricchimento culturale, grande o piccolo che sia, e di offrire spunti per riflettere su alcuni aspetti dell'America che pochi in Europa conoscono.

L'ottimo Spadoni è un professionista esperto di marketing e comunicazione, il che spiega parzialmente come possa scrivere un libro appassionante evitando di ricadere in una semplice noiosa lunga lista di informazioni. Spesso il tono con cui gli episodi vengono descritti è umoristico, talvolta ironico, occasionalmente polemico.

Personalmente consiglio questo libro ai turisti, a chi pensa di emigrare (e da questo libro imparerà a pensarlo senza però mai dirlo apertamente), a chi presume di conoscere New York, insomma a chiunque abbia interesse ad imparare qualcosa sugli Stati Uniti veri, quelli cioè nascosti dietro alle pellicole cinematografiche, ai luoghi comuni e all'ignoranza che spesso i media europei coltivano.