Profile for Lara > Reviews

Lara

The Gospel of Loki
The Gospel of Loki

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun account of the Nordic myths, 23 May 2014
This book makes the Nordic myths very accessible and entertaining. I'd read a version of the Eddas and Sagas from the early 1900s which helped because I had some background knowledge of the characters already, but so far this is a much more entertaining way to learn about the Aesir (Nordic gods) and in all important aspects very similar to the Nordic myths I'd read previously.

Lowepro Nova 160 AW All Weather Shoulder Bag for Digital SLR - Black
Lowepro Nova 160 AW All Weather Shoulder Bag for Digital SLR - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DSLR bag, 1 Sept. 2013
A bit bulky if you just want to carry your camera and have a handbag as well. I tend to just wrap up my DSLR and put it into my handbag, but this does have lots of pockets if you want to take lots of camera based things with you and keep your camera properly safe at the same time. Taking it out is a bit long though. The strap is very good, non-slip and comfortable and the carry-handle is very comfortable too. I used it with a Canon 7D and had no space left inside apart from for a small prime lens. It does have side-pockets on the outside though, which I suppose could be used for other lenses.

Incipio MacBook Air 13-inch feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case - Matte Black
Incipio MacBook Air 13-inch feather Ultralight Hard Shell Case - Matte Black

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but difficult to remove, 1 Sept. 2013
Product was dispatched same day and arrived the next day. I wanted a cover to obsure the Apple logo on the back, and this cover does that. As other have said, it is a very tight fit and it 'snaps' onto the base and around the screen. However, I wanted to remove the base cover because the fan was working hard whilst playing a game and it proved basically impossible. I tried using a card inbetween the cover and the laptop etc. but it wasn't really working and in the end part of the bit that 'snaps' around the laptop was damaged as I finally managed to take it off. Needless to say, I haven't bothered putting the base cover on again. I don't think it's necessary really; the laptop's 'feet' do a good job of keeping the base elevated from any surface anyway.

Reading in the Brain: The New Science of How We Read
Reading in the Brain: The New Science of How We Read
by Stanislas Dehaene

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating subject, 27 July 2013
This is a very accessible book which explains all the new science behind the skill of reading, and more specifically reading an alphabetic writing system.