Profile for KM Cook Book Queen > Reviews

Lomelino's Cakes: 27 Pretty Cakes to Make Any Day Special
Lomelino's Cakes: 27 Pretty Cakes to Make Any Day Special
by Linda Lomelino

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful & Elegant Cakes, 8 Nov 2014
This Swedish authour is new to me, and it's only since buying this book that I have looked at her (great) blog. There may only be 27 cakes and you may need to buy some 6 inch tins, but it is a fabulous book. There are delicious sounding cakes that are beautifully decorated and elegant

I have many baking books, but it is this one that my duaghters birthday cake will be coming from. I am so looking forward to making my own creation.

Cake: 200 fabulous foolproof baking recipes
Cake: 200 fabulous foolproof baking recipes
by Rachel Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Companion volume to Bake, 27 Aug 2012
This is definitely a companion volume to bake. In Rachel's usual style the recipes are easy to follow and bake regardless if you are a newcomer to baking or an experienced one. As its title suggests it is jam packed with many different cakes to cover all sorts of cake baking and eating occasions.

Not every single cake is pictured but the ones that are look good. The chapters are: Easy, Fast, Healthy, Classic, Teatime, Dessert, Children's Decorating Ideas, Celebration, Festive and Cake Essentials. The healthy chapter also contains cakes suitable for some food allergies including - vegan, dairy and egg free, gluten free and sugar free.

Here is a cake from each of the first 9 chapters as an idea of what you will find: Tropical cake, Raspberry and Blueberry Friands, Sugar free Banana Bread (sweetened with agave nectar), Victoria Sponge, Cappuccino Squares, After Dinner Mint Cake, Artic Roll, White Chocolate Anniversary Cake and Halloween Pumpkin Squares.

If I'm being pick I'd say I would have liked ALL the recipes in the Children chapter photographed, as I know my little one likes to see a picture of what is going to be made. Also there is not a fan oven temperature on the individual recipes. There is a paragraph at the back, but as my oven is a fan I do like the fan temps in the actual recipes. I'd give this one 4.5 stars, but I've ranked it 5 as to me it is nearer a five than a 4.

On my cooling rack at the moment I have the cover cake - Hazelnut Meringue Cake, and my next bake from this book will be Rachel's Dulce de Leche Cake. I'm looking forward to dipping into this one for years to come. If you liked Bake, you'll like this one too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2014 7:41 AM BST

The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight
by Dave Myers

5.0 out of 5 stars Calorie Counting for people who love food., 30 July 2012
What do foodie minded (and bellied) folk eat when they are cutting back a bit? I've wondered this often and it was with much anticipation that I opened this one up.

I wasn't disappointed either. The hairy bikers have done a good book here with some excellent recipes and pictures that make you want to try the recipes. Food chapters are: Breakfast & Brunch, One-Pan Dishes, Grills & Roasts, Pies, Stews, Vegetables & Salads, Fakeaways, Pasta & Rice, Puddings & Cakes and Lunch Boxes & Snacks.

Many of the dishes have a comforting feel, some are spicy, some light and delicious like: Salmon with chilli Ginger Sauce, Peppered Steak with Mushrooms, Lemon and Thyme Roast Chicken, Cajun Spiced Chicken with Potato Wedges and Chive Dip, Chicken and Ham Tangle Pie, Lean Lamb Hotpot, Lamb Tagine, Chilli Salad Bowl, Chilli Con Carne and a number of really great sounding curries. This is just a taster of the recipes, I fancy trying a lot more. My favourites of the sweet recipes are Summer Fruit Meringues and Chewy Cranberry and Apricot Bites.

I've recently taken a lot more interest in cooking to lose a bit of weight, for much the same reasons as the bikers - to give my health a boost - so this book has come at just the right time for me. Starting off tonight with one I already have the ingredients for, their Chicken and Mushroom Risotto.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2012 9:33 PM BST

What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking
What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking
by Fay Ripley

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second book from Fay Ripley, 3 Mar 2012
I couldn't wait to see this one! I liked her previous one, but this one is better. Similar to the first in that it has lots of do-able child friendly recipes. All pictured. Tips at the end of recipes include storage, do-ahead bits and children and baby advice.

Last night I made the pork in a bun and coleslaw pictured on the front of the book which all my lot loved. Also, this morning made her `nutty nuggets of deliciousness' - little biscuits with almonds and hazelnuts sandwiched with Nutella. The name says it all - fabulous biscuits.

I've book marked more than half the recipes, an excellent second book.

Easy Meals
Easy Meals
by Rachel Allen

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good home cooking style book from Rachel Allen, 11 Sep 2011
This review is from: Easy Meals (Hardcover)
Like this one. Clean layout, slightly different in style from previous books, loads of pictures, the odd step by step bit and plenty ideas for family meals.

The recipes are certainly easy and mostly fast as well. When I first flicked through it I wasn't sure if I liked it, but it's grown on me. Although it's maybe not my very favourite Rachel book there are lots of ideas for family meals, I do think it's a bit of a follow on to `Home Cooking'. Some of the recipes have their feet in others in previous books, but there are a lot of new recipes here too.

I won't list the chapters and recipes as these are in the product description above. Though I would say where is the recipe for turkey breast with thyme and cream from the list? Thought that sounded good!

Still, plenty of sweet and savoury inspiration for what to make for tea. So far I've made bacon and potato gratin, buttered cabbage and carrot, ginger and coconut soup - all delicious! Chicken and chorizo rice and little banoffee pots tomorrow :)

The Birthday Cake Book
The Birthday Cake Book
by Fiona Cairns

5.0 out of 5 stars Another delicious helping from Fiona Cairns, 4 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Birthday Cake Book (Hardcover)
Great follow up book to her Bake and Decorate. Pictures of every recipe, either individually or as part of a tea party shot. Really lovely ideas for making some very cute teatime treats.

I was really taken with her teapot, piggy bank, beside the seaside bucket cake, Cheshire cat cupcakes and elephant cake designs to name but a small handful. Chapters are themed round tea parties, to make as a whole or bit by bit here and there. The book is nicely done, one of its little features that tickled me is that for the serving number guide there is a motif of the shape of the cake, so the piggy bank is a cute little pink piggy with a curly tail, with the serving number below it.

Each cake is ranked one to three birthday candles, showing if it is easy, some effort or challenging. This is not a how-to step-by-step-assembly picture cake book, though I do think the text instructions are clear and good. Still, being a Fiona Cairns cookbook even if you never did any of the decoration ideas, you would still have some top notch cakes to serve your guests. For example Banoffee, Flourless Lemon Polenta Cake with Limoncello Syrup, Coconut and Chocolate Stripy Cake, Masala Chai with Ginger Fudge Icing or the one I made today - a Marmalade Syrup Cake, which was moist, sticky and delicious.

I would have loved to have been given this for my birthday, but alas I didn't have the patience to wait and had to buy it early :)

Moshling Collector's Guide (Moshi Monsters)
Moshling Collector's Guide (Moshi Monsters)
by Steve Cleverley

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for Moshling collectors, 23 Jun 2011
I bought this for my little one, she really loves it. It gives information about, and plant codes for attracting a lot of moshlings in your online garden.

There is a chart for 48 moshlings at the back to tick as you collect them.

Although she now uses it with Moshi Monsters online, she was only collecting the figures when this book arrived - and it's good for both.

Macarons
Macarons
by Annie Rigg

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Chic Macarons, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Macarons (Hardcover)
I've become really obsessed with macarons, and have more than have 10 books(!) I like them all, but this one has become my favourite.

The macarons are all pictured, and the flavours are great. They only thing missing is that you need to colour the uncooked mixture more brightly than you want them to be when they are baked. The basic macaron recipe is done step by step. Chapters are:

The Basics
Fruit and Flowers
Coffee, Caramel and Chocolate
Nuts and Spice and All Things Nice

I've made the lemon macarons and the mint & chocolate, both lovely. Next on my list are violet macarons, rose macarons, cappucino macarons, salted caramel macarons and the amazingly beautiful apple & blackberry macarons, but I would like to make every recipe in the book!

The Skinny French Kitchen
The Skinny French Kitchen
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second cookbook from Harry Eastwood, 28 Mar 2011
Nicely done, lots of pictures of Harry, Paris and food, though not all the recipes are photographed, a few more of the cooked savoury dishes would have been nice. I'd give it 4.5 out of 5, more pictures of the recipes would have made it a 5 out of 5. All the recipes have calories per portion on the recipe page and a Skinny Secret giving info on how the recipe has been made a bit lighter. Chapters are: *Aperitif* Sides* A table for Two * Dejeuner Sur L'Herbe* Cold Comfort* and *Les Desserts*.

I've made the Coq au Vin Blanc and Light Mashed Potatoes plus Grand Marnier Chocolate Truffles - all good. The chicken and mash were both light and clean tasting and the truffles were small, but full of flavour. Looking forward to trying many more.

Some more on my (very long!) to make list are:
Salmon and Spring Vegetables En Papillote,
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2011 5:48 PM BST

Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lovely Second Helping from the Hairy Bikers' Mum's Know Best, 8 Feb 2011
This second helping is a book (and series when it comes) that I've been really looking forward too. Loved the first one a lot.

This one is done is the same style and layout as the first. Mixture of recipes from Mum's up and down the country, plus others from Si and Dave. Recipes from home and abroad. Nice little introductions to the recipes. Almost all the recipes have pictures to go with them.

Chapters are:* Comforting Food * Al Fresco* Taste of Home* Lazy Weekends* High Tea* Distant Shores* Posh Nosh* and *Family Classics*.

I would give this book a 4.5 out of 5 because, although I like it I was a little bit disappointed that there aren't more baking recipes, there are a number of cakes but only two biscuits / cookies, and we love a good biccie in our house!

Still if you liked the first book (and even if you've never heard of it), this one is worth a go - it's a great family cook book and I will definitely cook from it.

A taster of recipes from the book are:

Some classics like:
Macaroni Cheese,
Spaghetti Bolognese and
Steamed Syrup Sponge Pudding.

Plus others like:
Mulligatawny Soup,
Beef Olives,
Italian Pear and Chocolate cake and
The Jones Boys' Favourite Chicken & Mushroom Crumble

First recipe tomorrow night - Eve's Pudding - yum.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 11:07 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4