Profile for KM Cook Book Queen > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Gizzi's Kitchen Magic
Gizzi's Kitchen Magic
by Gizzi Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish New Cookbook from a Bright New Food Writer, 23 Feb 2010
This review is from: Gizzi's Kitchen Magic (Hardcover)
Gizzie's Kitchen Magic is a fab cookbook. She had cleverly balanced basic recipes to tempt and give confidence to the novice or newcomer into the kitchen whilst also giving plenty of recipes with a little twist for those who cook already and are looking for a little inspiration.

I fall into the second category, so here are a taster of some of the recipes I fancy trying: marinades for a whole chicken including Malaysian Satay Marinade, Coq au Vin with Herby Dumplings, Lamb Massaman Curry, Lamb Chops with Green Peppercorn Sauce, Bailey's Chocolate Croissant Butter Pudding, Rosewater and Cardamon Creme Brulee with Pistachios, Pineapple Cake with Lime-Soured Cream Frosting and Blond Rocky Roads.

The recipes give a nod to tradition and what works, but are presented in a really stylish and up to the minute form.

Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
Mums Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Family Cookbook
by Hairy Bikers

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hairy Biker book yet!, 15 Jan 2010
For me this is easily the best Hairies book yet. Full of family recipes, both from Britain and further afield. A great tie in book for a fabulous TV series.

The recipes are very do-able, and great for family cooking, although it'd be a shame not to share them with friends too!

A facinating sort of history of home cooking, from Mums in this country for Mums (go on then, Dads too) everywhere. I find is really interesting to see recipes and food that other people have as their traditional family food, and the recipes that carry on down through the generations.

Both Dave and Si have very good palates, both for the simple and the complex, this coupled with their inimitable style makes this one a winner.

Ladies, a Plate: Traditional Home Baking
Ladies, a Plate: Traditional Home Baking
by Alexa Johnston

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous New Zealand Baking Book, 12 Jan 2010
Well there is no getting away from it, I've got a baking book habit, well, come on, it's not just me is it?! From that starting point it has to be said that some books are better than others. This one is excellent! A book dedicated to the baking of New Zealand. It's extremely well done, the recipes are great, but so is the layout, the references to long gone cookbooks where some recipes originated. I like the author's introductions too, she has a friendly way with words. Plenty of pictures too, which are lovely, they look like baked goods you'd actually like to bake and eat. It has a sort of old world feel to it, as if you are capturing things which may otherwise be lost.

We visited New Zealand a few years ago, and this is so the book I'd have loved to have taken back from my travels, to bake some lovely New Zealand specialities. It'll soon be speckled with splodges in my house. Can't wait to her my hands on her second volume.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2011 2:39 PM GMT

Home Cooking
Home Cooking
by Rachel Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Another lovely cookbook from the Irish Domestic Goddess, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Home Cooking (Hardcover)
A new Rachel Allen book to go with the T.V. series of the same name. Though it's so much more than just a tie-in cookbook.

It's Rachel's biggest book to date, and covers all the home meals that you'd want to cook for your familys' daily meals. Breakfast, Lunch, Sunday Lunch, Supper and Desserts plus some savoury treats and lots of sweet ones too. There is even a chapter on Baby Purees, if that's where you are at.

Nicely presented with lots of recipes and pictures. Good comforting and homely home cooked food, these recipes will easily weave their way into your weekly cooking.

Here's a small taster of a few of the recipes:Zac's chicken and sweetcorn soup, crispy duck rolls, roast chicken with 5 sauces and 6 stuffing variations to choose from, creamy gratin of butternut squash, pecan and vegateble loaf, 4 risottos including red wine risotto with chorizo and peas, Mum's chicken and ham lasagne, steak and mushroom pies, date and orange syrup pudding, strawberry and white chocolate tiramisu, dark sticky gingerbread, Turkish delight, white chocolate fudge - and a whole load more!

This is Rachel's sixth cookbook, and I did wonder if she could come up with another great book, especially after Bake last year, but no worries there, it's another cracker!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2011 6:40 PM BST

Tender: Volume I, A cook and his vegetable patch
Tender: Volume I, A cook and his vegetable patch
by Nigel Slater

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Suberb Nigel!, 20 Sep 2009
Like some of the other reviewers I too have all his books.

A new Nigel Slater book is something to be anticipated in my house. This is another lovely book, written in a similar tone to The Kitchen Diaries, but with quite a bit more.

He covers many vegetables, what they are, a gardeners view (I so want to grow my own veggies!), a cooks view and then of course there are the actual recipes. They are mostly for savoury dishes, but there are a few sweet ones too - I have just finished icing his carrot and walnut cake with mascarpone and orange icing, gorgeous. Of course it's a superb read too.

Can hardly wait for Volume II next year about fruit!

Lola Rose 'Bonnie' Chinese Knot Adjustable Bracelet With Jade Faceted Rondell Beads

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful New Bracelet, 20 Sep 2009
I'm a tremendous Lola Rose fan. This new season, new shape bracelet is stunning. Beautiful, well chosen, bright uplifting colours - a real cheer-me-up piece. Love it!

Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes
Ching's Chinese Food in Minutes
by Ching-He Huang

5.0 out of 5 stars A Third Winner from Ching-He, 28 Aug 2009
I have been eagerly awaiting this new book from Ching-He. I adore it! It's full of the easy, delicious recipes she has become well renown for. There are all the usual different meat, chicken, vegetables and vegetarian, rice and noodle, chapters you would expect, with many more soups in this one too. My favourite chapter is the 'Easy Entertaining' one which is just so delicious to read, can't wait to cook and taste them all. I had to make something from this book last night so made her sweet and sour monkfish (but with prawns) last night for supper, kiss that take-out menu goodbye, it was just what I want when I think of a take away Chinese, but SO much better and healthier, not to mention fast. There are recipes for everyone here, home made Peking Duck next for me. Well done to you Ching-He, another delicious winner, thank you.

The Sweet Life in Paris: Delicious Adventures in the World's Most Glorious--And Perplexing--City
by David Lebovitz

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Read, 20 July 2009
This is a bit different from David's previous books (of which I have all), in that it's done in short stories followed by recipes. I love Paris and wouldn't have been without this one, David's observations on his life as both an American and Pastry Chef in Paris had me laughing out loud on more than one occasion. Some of it I totally associated with, as Paris is one of my very favourite cities; but the bits I didn't were still a very fabulous read. This is the perfect holiday reading book for a food lover, but it's also much more - there are still plenty of recipes to keep this book current long after it's initial reading - I've marked a good number to try, sweet and savoury alike. The dulce de leche brownies are really awesome and thoroughly recommended!

In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion
In the Mood for Entertaining: Food for Every Occasion
by Jo Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 30 May 2009
I have a been a huge fan of Jo's previous book 'In The Mood For Food', and have been looking forward to her follow up with much anticipation.

It's really fabulous, a truly worthy successor, fantastic recipes for family, gatherings, dinner parties or even just the two of you. The photography is really stunning, light, bright and cook-me-now-delicious. I would like to cook more than half the book(!), and I will even give some of her menu suggestion a go - I usually mix and match myself.

The recipes are so now, up to date and really just the kind of things I'd like to cook for my family and friends. A real credit to Jo's cookery skill is that she even makes first courses not just maneagable but things you'd like to eat. If you bought In The Mood For Food and are wondering about this one, buy it (I'm not on commission, promise!)it's just so good!

A Piece of Cake
A Piece of Cake
by Leila Lindholm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pretty New Baking Book, 24 April 2009
This review is from: A Piece of Cake (Hardcover)
I heard of Leila through articles in food magazines, and when there was mention of a cookbook (in English) I pre-ordered it pronto!

Leila comes across as a very nice lady, her recipes are lovely, with many variations on cakes, cupcakes and gereral delicious-ness! There are - as I hoped for - a good peppering of Swedish recipes including a Tosca Cake and Swedish Crispbreads. There are many many more recipes though such as Butterscoth Pecan Tart and the wonderfully named Chocolate Darlings, can't wait to get baking. Beautiful photography throught the book, makes it a very pretty read too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4