Profile for Pluto > Reviews

Content by Pluto

Pluto (London)

Draper 76783 Expert Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Hand Patio WeederDraper 76783 Expert Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Hand Patio Weeder
Price: 10.83

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality - avoid, 3 Jun 2014
Fell apart after less than 2 years use.

Unfortunately that is not exactly what I would expect from an 'expert' garden tool.

AOC i2269Vwm Value 21.5 inch IPS Monitor (1000:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920x1080, 6ms, HDMI/MHL)
Price: 106.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 21 Mar 2014
I have just finished setting up a pair of these and am absolutely delighted; colour rendition, sharpness and viewing angle are all top notch, and there is no sign of back-light bleeding whatsoever.

The only problem I encountered was installing the monitors with a 3rd party stand. The monitors come with a stem attached that slots into the base, but unfortunately the manual makes no mention of how to remove this.

There is a plastic cover surrounding where the stem attaches to the monitor itself. Gently pry this off and it becomes clear that the bracket securing the stem is attached with 4 screws. Simply unscrew these and the whole assembly comes off, enabling you to install these beauties on your 3rd party mounting of choice.

Enjoy!

Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer
Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer
Price: 34.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Back From The Brink!, 25 Feb 2012
I probably bought this mixer for a somewhat different purpose compared to most people reading this. I had active speakers connected directly to my computer soundcard, and my idea was to rout the soundcard speaker output through this little box so I could have a volume control on my desk, particularly for software using ASIO drivers.

Physically the mini-mixer exceeded my expectations. It is nice and small, but sturdy with a bit of weight to it and the knobs are quite nicely dampened.

So far so good, but after having skimmed the fairly rudimentary getting started manual I connected the thing up and was within a whisker of packing it up and sending the whole thing back because it seemed very noisy.

Fortunately I persevered and fiddled around lowering the input fader - actually a pot- and then obtained decent sound quality without noticeable noise and fullish available maximum volume.

I am also very pleased to now have an accessible headphone socket (3.5mm) on my desk rather that in the dark and dusty world beneath it, with an independent volume control.

I haven't tried the mic input and am not sure I ever will, but for what I want I am actually very happy, and would have given the thing 5 stars if I hadn't experienced the noise initially, although that was quite possibly due to operator error/inexperience.

OEM - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card
OEM - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP aged 1 1/4, 7 July 2009
Bought this sound card in March 2008 primarily due to a limited choice supported under Windows XP x64.

Problem number one was the software/driver installation; running the Creative web update causes a blue screen of death. In addition, allowing Microsoft Update to install a new driver also causes BSoD.

Oddly when I was researching what card to get in the first place, Creative technical support had to be prodded several times to confirm that the card actually worked under XP x64 as I had read somewhere; perhaps their reluctance was conditioned by bitter experience.

Problem two was actual usage; a loud background hum was present at all output levels for all applications creating a serious irritant with any usage.

The card has now died after barely 15 months of use. Although appalled at the poor quality I am frankly glad this event has put me out of my lousy sound misery. And while I wait for a replacement Asus Xonar D2 to turn up note that my on-board sound is far, far superior to anything that piece of junk ever produced.

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Webcam
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 Webcam

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent webcam, rubbish software, 18 Dec 2007
Am buying a second one of these as a present due to the outstanding quality, but if you are considering a first time purchase you should be aware that the bundled software is worse than useless, freshly downloaded or not.

I have installed this on 2 PCs: my main desktop running Win XP 64-bit edition, with an ultra fast quad core Intel Xeon processor, 8 Gb of Ram and a 256mb Nvidia FX 3500 video card, as well as a fast Core 2 Duo laptop with 2 GB Ram and a 512mb Nvidia Quadro FX 2500M video card running Win XP Pro 86x.

Power is not an issue on either of these machines until I installed the truly dreadful Logitech software, which singlehandedly slowed everything down to a completely unacceptable extent. Further, it created all sorts of conflicts with other audio devices causing them to fail one after the other to the point where nothing was working.

Fortunately, the solution in my case was ultimately simple:

1. Install bundled software
2. Plug in webcam
3. Windows Update --> Get new drivers
4. Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> Uninstall main software (but not the drivers)
5. Skype (only thing I require this for) can fully control webcam functionality and works like a charm.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2009 10:23 AM GMT