Profile for Burnie > Reviews

Content by Burnie

Burnie (uk)

PocketWizard Nikon 10 Pin Motor Drive Cord (For ACC MultiMAX) - N10-ACC
PocketWizard Nikon 10 Pin Motor Drive Cord (For ACC MultiMAX) - N10-ACC

5.0 out of 5 stars I needed a cable to fire a Nikon D3 remotely ..., 21 July 2014
I needed a cable to fire a Nikon D3 remotely at the same time I was capturing cyclists with another D3. I connected a Pocketwizard TT5 to the remote camera using this cable and fired them with a Mini TT1 - all worked well.

SanDisk SDCFH-016G-U46 16 GB Class 4 Ultra CompactFlash Memory Card
SanDisk SDCFH-016G-U46 16 GB Class 4 Ultra CompactFlash Memory Card
Offered by Buybenchmark UK Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Sandisk product, 18 Oct. 2013
Not the fastest card available but good enough for my property photography business and you can't go wrong with Sandisk

Leathercraft Blotting Paper Full Demy W445xD570mm Folded White Ref FDBPWH05 [5 Sheets]

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what its supposed to...., 17 Jun. 2011
Ordered this by mistake - didn't notice the word "folded" ! Doh. I have a full demy desk blotter so I ordered a pad of 50 unfolded sheets instead.

The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Scott Kelbys CS5, 5 Sept. 2010
I've bought several of Scott kelby's books before so I'm used to his style of writing and his brand of humour which can seem a little flippant. However, this version is just as good as the previous ones with clear instructions and interesting effects. There is a heavy bias towards using Adobe Bridge which i don't tend to use much (use Lightroom 3)but nonetheless a good book to learn the basics of the new features. Not as in-depth as Martin Evening's books but conversley an easier read ! (in my opinion)

Captured by the Light: The Essential Guide to Creating Extraordinary Wedding Photography (Voices That Matter)
by David Ziser

4.0 out of 5 stars good...but, 16 Mar. 2010
Nicely presented book with some good ideas but a little too "American" for my conservative UK tastes. There's a few techniques I'll try but I think the Neil Van Niekerk book on flash techniques works better. Not a negative review by any stretch but there are better books...

Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser
Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect....., 16 Mar. 2010
This is my first breadmaker and I followed all the review advice on Amazon which I agree with. I've had the machine for 2 weeks now and have produced 7-8 loafs which have all been perfect. I set it to make French bread today on timer and just got home late from work and the fresh bread smell entering my flat was great. That was followed by a lovely light bread with cheese and wine....superb. Buy it - the bread is loads better than the plastic grey supermarket stuff.

On-Camera Flash Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography
On-Camera Flash Techniques for Wedding and Portrait Photography
by Neil van Niekerk

5.0 out of 5 stars Demystifys flash..., 16 Dec. 2009
Excellant book - used some of the techniques described during a quiet moment at a wedding (are there any ?) and they produced a great set of pictures. In particular the outside night technique is very good. I also used his "black foamy thing" which seemed to work well - even if the SB900 went into overtime and switched itself off !!

Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer
Canon PIXMA MP640 Network Ready Premium All-In-One Photo Printer

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellant but..........., 16 Dec. 2009
I had this printer for 3 weeks connected wirelessly to my imac. During that time it performed well. Colour photos were a little washed out but I hadn't had a chance to tweak the profiles which I'm sure would have been successful. Unfortunately the printer developed a fault - it suddenly started taking up to 5 minutes to print a single sheet of text and when it finally managed it the flashing warning light came on and a 5100 error was displayed on the LCD. The only way to clear it was to switch it off and back on again - but the whole process was then repeated. Various forums indicated this was apparently a problem with the print head tracking cradle. As there had been no obvious reason for this (such as paper misfeed/jam) I asked Amazon for a replacement - as luck would have it, that would take 1-3 months which was unacceptable so I opted for a full refund.
I'm sure the printer is very good generally, people will be very happy with it, the other 'net reviews are very positive and I'm just unlucky (Friday afternoon model ?) but I can't give more than 2 stars for obvious reasons.