Profile for Brian Boru > Reviews

Content by Brian Boru

Brian Boru (Belfast, Northern Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect service and product, 10 Dec 2013
Perfect service, the follow-up on delivery was exceptional. Delivery was as predicted. "Song of the South" is probably aimed at the younger generation but is thoroughly enjoyed by the older ones among us.
I would repeat my praise of the relevant supplier who was beyond reproach.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 5:10 AM GMT

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens
Offered by BETTER CHOICES

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Lens, 12 May 2013
My first telephoto lens therefore still familiarising myself with its operation/use. So far results are outstanding, even when handheld. Will soon give it a go on a tripod, I am looking forward to seeing the relevant photographs. This is a Nikon product of a very high standard.
Thanks Nikon.

The Gall Bladder Survival Guide: How to live a normal life with a missing or dysfunctional gall bladder.
by J Bernal

4.0 out of 5 stars A very broad spectrum of information, 12 May 2013
Far too much very detailed information on related subjects. Ideal for readers keen on lists of info. Very few portions of this book actually spell out how to counteract problems experienced after a gall bladder removal operation.

New Leather Camera Case Bag for Nikon D3200 (Brown)
New Leather Camera Case Bag for Nikon D3200 (Brown)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great case, 17 Jan 2013
Great case quality-wise and it reflects modern styling. Perfect fit for my Nikon D3200 SLR Camera including lens. The case design allows the part of the case which sits around the camera to remain "0n" when the rest/top of the case is detached. Free delivery was executed well within the relevant time limit. I have no hesitation in giving this great case 5 stars.

Nikon D3200 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Red (24.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Offered by DUKE FOTOGRAFÍA

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent camera, 24 Dec 2012
The acquisition of a Nikon SLR D3200 was my first venture into the field of SLR digital. I initially found the considerable array of controls/settings somewhat frightening. Slowly but surely I am becoming familiar with my new camera and as I learn how to use it the pictures I take are improving in quality. The 24.2 megapixals facility certainly is a boon, apart from the great picture quality it gives in "normal" image size small portions of the image can be extracted and processed without any loss of quality.
My recommendation to all readers of this review ... "Go on to Amazon and order a Nikon SLR Digital Camera D3200".

David Busch's Nikon D3200 Guide to Digital SLR Photography (David Busch's Digital Photography Guides)
by David Busch

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book., 24 Dec 2012
A great book, the best! If I could memorise all the information in this book I would be a true expert on the Nikon D3200. Here's hoping I make it.

Nikon D3200 Digital Field Guide
Nikon D3200 Digital Field Guide
by Alan Hess

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book to have., 24 Dec 2012
This book is comprehensive and a suitable size for my camera bag. I prefer a handbook to be more tabulated with a profusion of cross-references, this one is more text that information panels. Nevertheless it is a useful aid.

Delphi Complete Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Illustrated)
Delphi Complete Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Illustrated)

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Conan Doyle - Complete Works", 19 April 2012
An excellent comprehensive Kindle edition of "Conan Doyle - Complete Works".
This book is one of my first Kindle downloads. The books contained in this edition would take up a lot of bookshelf space if I had ordered "normal" books. Kindle is most certainly a wonderful invention. My rating is definitely 5 stars.
Brian - United Kingdom

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

5.0 out of 5 stars Man's inhumanity to man, 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
What a wonderful, well researched account of ordinary people's lives in Biafra, following Nigeria's declaration of war on the newborn country.

I lived in Lagos, Nigeria in the late 1960s and travelled extensively throughout the whole of Nigeria. I recall accounts of the dreadful atrocities carried out by the Hausa against the Igbo in Kano and Kaduna. To avoid further harassment thousands of Igbo returned to their homeland in Eastern Nigeria and the new country of Biafra was born. Biafra opted for secession. The Federal Government of Nigeria realized they would lose the oil-fields and therefore refused to accept Biafra's secession, and declared war.

Half of a Yellow Sun reflects criticism of many countries attitudes to Biafra but Britain, quite rightly, is singled out as the major overseas enemy of Biafra. Britain was totally ruthless in their support for the Federal Government, despite the awful starvation and inevitable deaths of thousands of Biafrans.

The writer's insight into Englishmen's superior, patronising attitudes to foreigners is spot on and brought a smile to my face. Her observations are balanced by comments on some aspects of Igbo life and the actions of some Igbo during the Biafran War.

The writer brings to life areas of Eastern Nigeria I visited and loved, Enugu, Onitsha, Aba, Port Harcourt and many others.

The story of the people related in this book is fiction but cleverly interwoven in the plot is a true and vivid account of the slaughter of Biafra. `Man's inhumanity to man' was sadly clear for all to see from the reports which emanated from Biafra during and after the war.

The writer hints at the fact that Biafra still lives on in the hearts of the Igbo. Who knows what the future may bring.

The Faber Book of Exploration
The Faber Book of Exploration
by Benedict Allen

2.0 out of 5 stars Great book , only if you have a strong magnifying glass, 14 Sep 2006
I presume Benedict Allen who compiled this book had a say in the format/design of the finished product. If my presumption is correct why, oh why, did he allow the Faber & Faber personnel to settle on a type size, I would guess 8pt, which is just about readable. There are in fact sections of this book which have been set in even smaller mini type. A great number of readers will struggle when attempting to read this book. What a pity.

I was looking forward to perusing/reading this book but my enthusiasm was short lived due to Faber & Faber's very strange decision outlined in my initial paragraph.

I regret that any comment on my part with regard to the stories in this book would be influenced by my disgust with the "appearance" of the pages.

Page: 1 | 2