ARRAY(0xb4beccf0)

My Shit Life So Far
My Shit Life So Far
by Frankie Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit predictible, 12 Nov 2009
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)
Okay, Frankie, you are very funny, and very crude, and very irreverent. So I give you 5 stars for making me laugh out loud many times.
Just a word of warning, call it a slight dampener on the ecstatic reviews of some of the other contributors. Whisper it ...but... Too much Frankie gets to be a bit predictable and, well, a bit boring. By the end of this book, I was losing interest. You could almost write the next line before Frankie did.
Read in small doses and it will keep its freshness. Dont do what I did and read it in a couple of sittings.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls
Price: 18.99

2.0 out of 5 stars One Day too many, 22 July 2009
This review is from: One Day (Hardcover)
I'm sorry, but if you start off from the premise of having a hero called Dexter, then you're on a loser from page one. Nobody is called Dexter (sorry, Dexter Blackstock). Is he named after Lord Ted, the fearsome ex-England cricket captain? What possessed the author to give this ridiculous moniker?
I laughed out loud every time his name was mentioned. I suppose it could have been worse. The girl could have been called Peaches.

Right, getting to the story. Am I the only person who knew what was going to happen before it did? In football parlance, the moves were telegraphed.

If it aint got originality, then what is the point? I'm sure that Mr Nicholls (David - see, there's a sensible name) is a thoroughly decent fellow and has lots of admiring readers, but this was all too predictable for my tastes.

As a beach read, its not taxing and will help you to doze in the sun. As a fulfilling tale, it really doesn't get off the starting blocks.

It depends what you are looking for I suppose.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2010 4:20 PM BST

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella
Price: 16.60

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooodles of fun, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Hardcover)
I urge you to read this book ! I never knew that a book with such a superficial, glossy edge to it could actually act as a meaningful commentary on Western Morality in the 20th Century.
Well done Sophie Kinsella !
The story itself is what holds the book together, but it is the subtle asides and one liners which really hit the mark. Dont assume from the cover that all you are going to get is a giddy tale of love in the laurels, Ms Kinsella is too good an author for Twenties Girl to be just that.
As a final point, look out for some quite innovative, almost bizarre, twists in the narrative which sneak up on the reader without any warning.
Enjoy this novel. Perfect beach reading

'Stop in the name of pants!' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 9)
'Stop in the name of pants!' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 9)
by Louise Rennison
Price: 5.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Just stop!, 20 July 2009
How come there are over 20 reviews of this book, when you have to declare being over 13 to write the review? Surely there cant be that many reviewers of this book who are aged over 13? Now there's a connundrum !

These books are written with the idea of connecting with the emotionally unstable early teens, and as such do a fairly good job. However, as a woman in my late thirties, I was bowled over by the naivity of some of the writing. This is not, repeat NOT, a book of great literary depth as I was led to believe. I guess I should have known that by the cover.

I hadn't been told what to expect, except that it is a rollicking read. Well, not to me it wasn't. What it is, is a light and fluffy read for all those who can paint their nails with one hand while making a cheesecake with the other, at the same time flicking through 'Chat' or some such publication.

It's probably sold millions.

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
by Louise Rennison

3.0 out of 5 stars Rom Com movie standard from the queen of fun, 13 July 2009
I just loved this book. It made me laugh out loud from start to finish. Georgia Nicholson is every girls dream. I wish that I could be in her shoes and have all the adventures that she has, and so will you !
I urge you to read this as soon as you can. If you have read others in the series, I can gaurantee that this tops the lot of them.
Why only 3 stars? Well, its just too short !

Riddley Walker
Riddley Walker
by Russell Hoban

2.0 out of 5 stars Piffle or what, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Riddley Walker (Paperback)
Being clever and writing stuff that sets a 'challenge' is all well and good, but if the author isnt careful, it just ends up as pretentious hogwash. I'm all for being tested and stretched when I read a novel, but this piece is one step too far. It crosses the boundary between pleasure and a chore.
If you want to be, quite frankly, bored, and at the same time be in awe of the authors own staying power, then give it a go. But don't say you haven't been warned!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2012 2:55 PM BST

The Road Home
The Road Home
by Rose Tremain
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Tales of the High Seas, 30 Jun 2009
This review is from: The Road Home (Paperback)
Rum Runners and cutthroats abound in this tale of romance on the High Seas.

I did find the novel to be a trifle lacking in substance and many of the characters, particularily the main protagonist, Ralph, were rather sketchily drawn. However, that alone shouldn't put you off reading this ripping yarn. Rose Tremain is famed for her romantic novels, but this one is a little more substantial, and the subtext of colonial greed and cruelty lifts the book above the mundane.

If you ignore the character descriptions and concentrate on the fast moving plot, you wont be disappointed. I am looking forward to the sequel, which I understand will be released later this year.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2009 11:28 PM GMT

Down River
Down River
by John Hart
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Palm Sunday all over again, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Down River (Paperback)
Paris 1930s - Picture the scene. Boats floating lazily down the Seine. A quiet summer sunday just before the war. Armand is opening his cafe, daydreaming of his country retreat in Normandy. Suddenly, there is a sharp retort. Peoples heds turn expecting to see a car with a faulty exhaust. What confronts them is a scene of total mayhem. A bomb has exploded onboard a boat on the River.

Thus, John Hart begins this fast paced and earily beautiful tale of subterfuge.
I can guarantee that you will quickly be drawn into this easy to read novel. Mr Hart has a fantastic turn of phrase, and I wonder why his books arent more popular.
A great summer read, only look out for some laugh out loud moments!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2009 8:54 PM BST

Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, Book 4)
Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, Book 4)
by J. A. Kerley
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars All the Rage..., 25 Jun 2009
Well where do you start with this one?

Firstly I have to say that I'm a great fan of the mans work. Once youve read book one, youre hooked. For me, the overriding comedic elements within Blood Brother are what makes it stand out from others in this genre. Look out for the episode with Sandy and the kitten. Its absolutely inspired. I wont spoil it for you by telling you more, suffice it to say that I didnt know you could do that with a watering can!

There is a subplot regarding some quite brutal slayings, but Mr Kerley lightens the mood throughout with his humorous asides. Add to that an unusual love interest in the form of Jaquelie, the Swiss amputee with a penchant for motorbikes and cream teas and you begin to get a feel for where the book is coming from.

Ultimately its to do with relationships and trust.Mr Kerley squares the circle on that one quite nicely, and the ending, although sudden, is most satisfactory.
Read this book, I urge you.

Candlemoth
Candlemoth
by Roger Jon Ellory
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Suspend your belief...., 24 Jun 2009
This review is from: Candlemoth (Paperback)
All things are fragile - just like the candle moth, or so goes the premise of this watershed read. If only all great love stories could be transmognified the way that this one is. A cattle truck in the desert- a surrealistic but beautifully written passage.How does such beauty sit with all the mayhem surrounding the heroines life?

When you are imprisoned for life the mind plays the strangest tricks. In getting inside the heroines brain, Roger achieves what few authors are able to do.If you only read one book a year, then this isnt the one.If you read a lot, slot this gem in there around October time. The mellow autumnal feel of much of his prose will send a shiver down your spine.
Read it alone and in one go if you can! A genuine treat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4