Profile for S. D. Crawshaw > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Life on the Border
Life on the Border

5.0 out of 5 stars undiscovered gem, 3 May 2010
This review is from: Life on the Border (Audio CD)
Hey, if you like folk rock, beautifully played, with excellent lyrics, then give Jai Larkins band a listen too. The changing line up is guitar/violin led and they are great live. They spent 2009 busking around Europe and are doing the same in 2010. Someone should really take them up and make them into the stars they deserve to be. Like Arcade Fire but more melodic, though they can really rock out when they need to. Buy this CD! You wont be disappointed. Guaranteed. Better still, catch them live, especially in their current 6 piece form. Absolutely top quality.

Pandora In The Congo
Pandora In The Congo
by Albert Pinol

5.0 out of 5 stars High Adventure in the jungle, 23 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Pandora In The Congo (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm so glad that I read it.
Firstly, I have to say how amazed I am that Mr Pinol isnt British, and that this is a translation. Often translated books don't flow particularily well. This one does, and whats more Mr Pinol has got the various British traits off to a T.
This book is exceptionally well written, with lots of bits of philosophy and errudite observation thrown in. However, they never interupt the flow of the story, which could best be described as a ripping yarn in the style of H. Rider Haggard.
I love the way that the protagonists relationships with the Barrister, with his landlady and especially with Marie-Antoinette, the shelless tortoise are drawn.
There is a lot of humour in the novel, a lot of tension, and many twists and turns in the plot.
Its a really easy read and tremendous fun, and, if you are anything like me, your memory will keep returning to Marcus Garvey, the Tectons, and, in particular, Amgam, long after the final revelations of the plot are revealed.

Much of the action takes place in the jungle and that is where the H Rider Haggard comparisons come in. Everything is also set against the background of the First World War, but the War is never really allowed to intrude on the tale, its only used to further the tale.

I recommend this novel most highly

The Best of Chas & Dave
The Best of Chas & Dave

2.0 out of 5 stars Cockney Rubbish, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Best of Chas & Dave (Audio CD)
It is , of course, easy to sneer at Chas and Dave. However, it isn't easy to sneer enough. This lame collection of knees-up, cockney sparra dross really shows what their forte was.
Such a shame, cos Chas Hodges used to be in a great band (Heads, Hands and Feet). Look up their stuff, dont buy this dross.
I've given it 2 stars on the basis that some people might find it so bad that its almost good, if you follow my drift.
You Southerners should be ashamed if this is part of your heritage
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2014 11:29 AM BST

All This and More
All This and More

4.0 out of 5 stars A chance partially wasted, 15 Nov. 2009
This review is from: All This and More (Audio CD)
This was the opportunity to put out all the previously unreleased material that Procol Harum have been keeping under wraps for so many years. The fact is that the opportunity hasn't been taken, and because of that I can't give this box set a full 5 stars.
Any anthology is down to personnal taste, but there are some really glaring omissions in this set. And why on earth is the full In Held Twas In I suite included?
Basically, what you get for your bucks are 2 CDs of previously released material, heavily weighted towards the first 4 album releases, and without representation from the Edmonton record or Something Magic, and only one track from Broken Barricades. Some of Procols greatest work is missing from these CDs and there are none of the eagerly anticipated tracks sucn as I'm A Reader and A Writer, So Far Behind, Musical Fish, One Eye on the Future, Old Dog and You Better Wait (though some of these are released on the 40th anniversary version of Something Magic). The 'rare' tracks are confined to B-sides which most Procol fans will have several times over.
Of course, the music is great. That goes almost without saying, and for the casual fan will more than suffice. Not for the fanatics though!
Just a quick note as well to concur with the previous reviewer regarding the difficulty of getting the CDs out of the case. Back to the drawing board with that one! The packaging, otherwise is exemplary and the booklet informative and full of great pictures.
Returning to the musical content then....
The third CD is Procol captured Live. Some great tracks here, especially with the appearance of 'Night Train to Niagara'. Some cuts are too close to their original studio versions. This is almost definitely down to the Procol's consumate professionalism, but I personally prefer my live concerts to have a rougher edge. A few of the tracks are a bit sterile.
The forth CD is essentially extracts from 5 previously available shows dating back to the Danish TV show of 1974, through Copenhagen 2001, the great Union Chapel concert of 2003, the Isle of Wight 2006 and the orchestral augmented show from Ledreborg 2006. All are in fantastic quality, but beware, if you have collected live Procol concerts, you may already have these.
So, all in all, a great overview of the band through the past 40 years, but a little short on those missing gems. Ah well, maybe they'll be in the 50th Anniversary Box Set....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2009 8:39 AM GMT

My Shit Life So Far
My Shit Life So Far
by Frankie Boyle

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit predictible, 12 Nov. 2009
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)
Okay, Frankie, you are very funny, and very crude, and very irreverent. So I give you 5 stars for making me laugh out loud many times.
Just a word of warning, call it a slight dampener on the ecstatic reviews of some of the other contributors. Whisper it ...but... Too much Frankie gets to be a bit predictable and, well, a bit boring. By the end of this book, I was losing interest. You could almost write the next line before Frankie did.
Read in small doses and it will keep its freshness. Dont do what I did and read it in a couple of sittings.

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

2.0 out of 5 stars One Day too many, 22 July 2009
This review is from: One Day (Hardcover)
I'm sorry, but if you start off from the premise of having a hero called Dexter, then you're on a loser from page one. Nobody is called Dexter (sorry, Dexter Blackstock). Is he named after Lord Ted, the fearsome ex-England cricket captain? What possessed the author to give this ridiculous moniker?
I laughed out loud every time his name was mentioned. I suppose it could have been worse. The girl could have been called Peaches.

Right, getting to the story. Am I the only person who knew what was going to happen before it did? In football parlance, the moves were telegraphed.

If it aint got originality, then what is the point? I'm sure that Mr Nicholls (David - see, there's a sensible name) is a thoroughly decent fellow and has lots of admiring readers, but this was all too predictable for my tastes.

As a beach read, its not taxing and will help you to doze in the sun. As a fulfilling tale, it really doesn't get off the starting blocks.

It depends what you are looking for I suppose.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2010 4:20 PM BST

Twenties Girl
Twenties Girl
by Sophie Kinsella

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooodles of fun, 22 July 2009
This review is from: Twenties Girl (Hardcover)
I urge you to read this book ! I never knew that a book with such a superficial, glossy edge to it could actually act as a meaningful commentary on Western Morality in the 20th Century.
Well done Sophie Kinsella !
The story itself is what holds the book together, but it is the subtle asides and one liners which really hit the mark. Dont assume from the cover that all you are going to get is a giddy tale of love in the laurels, Ms Kinsella is too good an author for Twenties Girl to be just that.
As a final point, look out for some quite innovative, almost bizarre, twists in the narrative which sneak up on the reader without any warning.
Enjoy this novel. Perfect beach reading

'Stop in the name of pants!' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 9)
'Stop in the name of pants!' (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, Book 9)
by Louise Rennison

2.0 out of 5 stars Just stop!, 20 July 2009
How come there are over 20 reviews of this book, when you have to declare being over 13 to write the review? Surely there cant be that many reviewers of this book who are aged over 13? Now there's a connundrum !

These books are written with the idea of connecting with the emotionally unstable early teens, and as such do a fairly good job. However, as a woman in my late thirties, I was bowled over by the naivity of some of the writing. This is not, repeat NOT, a book of great literary depth as I was led to believe. I guess I should have known that by the cover.

I hadn't been told what to expect, except that it is a rollicking read. Well, not to me it wasn't. What it is, is a light and fluffy read for all those who can paint their nails with one hand while making a cheesecake with the other, at the same time flicking through 'Chat' or some such publication.

It's probably sold millions.

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson)
by Louise Rennison

3.0 out of 5 stars Rom Com movie standard from the queen of fun, 13 July 2009
I just loved this book. It made me laugh out loud from start to finish. Georgia Nicholson is every girls dream. I wish that I could be in her shoes and have all the adventures that she has, and so will you !
I urge you to read this as soon as you can. If you have read others in the series, I can gaurantee that this tops the lot of them.
Why only 3 stars? Well, its just too short !

Riddley Walker
Riddley Walker
by Russell Hoban

2.0 out of 5 stars Piffle or what, 1 July 2009
This review is from: Riddley Walker (Paperback)
Being clever and writing stuff that sets a 'challenge' is all well and good, but if the author isnt careful, it just ends up as pretentious hogwash. I'm all for being tested and stretched when I read a novel, but this piece is one step too far. It crosses the boundary between pleasure and a chore.
If you want to be, quite frankly, bored, and at the same time be in awe of the authors own staying power, then give it a go. But don't say you haven't been warned!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2012 2:55 PM BST