Profile for polstead_black > Reviews

Content by polstead_black

polstead_black

Ladies Clutch Bag Glasses Case Hearts Magnetic Clasp With Presentation Box(Blue)
Offered by GoOpticians

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and trendy, 19 Aug. 2013
I love this glasses case, it looks superb and it also opens and shuts with a neat snap of the magnetic clasp.

The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers
The Great British Bake Off: How to turn everyday bakes into showstoppers
by Linda Collister

2.0 out of 5 stars Lack of photographs disappointing, 11 Sept. 2012
I wish I had read the reviews before ordering this from my Android.

The lack of photographs of the finished bakes is very disappointing. I do like to see what a finished recipe should look like before I start baking. I am very unlikely to even try something that doesn't have a photograph. I don't need full page photographs of contestants grinning at me, or Victorian jugs filled with roses, or a double page spread photo of mixing bowls and ingredients in glass jars. What I would like are photographs of the finished bakes so that I can see what I am aiming to achieve. Please.

An assortment of recipes in this book. Yes, some are basic bakes tweaked in a way to make them show-stoppers but, in my opinion, some are not exactly everyday bakes to start with. It does have all the basic recipes in a section at the back which is a nice touch.

I like the way that baking tips are sprinkled throughout the book and actually made easy to find by being encircled in some way. The size and weight of the hardback book is good too. It feels good to pick up and flip through. The layout of the text and recipes are easy on the eye.

Overall, if I had looked at this book in a bookshop I would probably not have bought it.

The Sacred Vault (Wilde/Chase 6)
The Sacred Vault (Wilde/Chase 6)
by Andy McDermott

1.0 out of 5 stars Gatuitous violence and no real story, 1 Dec. 2010
This is my first Andy McDermott book and I certainly won't be trying another. It is pure unadulterated violence that added nothing to the story. In fact I kept waiting for the story to get going and after a third of the book gave up. The promise of a story was good but what a shame it was just thuggery.