Profile for Bruno > Reviews

Content by Bruno

Bruno
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Tomorrow's People: How 21st-Century Technology is Changing the Way We Think and Feel
by Susan Greenfield

1.0 out of 5 stars The Future is FemiNazi, 18 Jan. 2010
Transhumanism and future technology is a subject that fascinates me. Sadly, this book simply infuriated me. No I don't want to read the author's notorious feminazi hate filled diatrabes against men every other page. I want to learn about how 21st century technology will change our human condition. Actually, the thought that this technology will be in the hands of people with such psychopathic views as Miss Greenfield fills me now with the utmost unease.

Though perhaps I shouldn't fear so much. Reading such drivel I can't believe that the author hasn't reached her prominant position in the sciences, at least to some extent, because of her gender. If this is the future, goodbye singularity and hello again cave fires.

Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)
Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't see any being better than this, 25 Nov. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been running this for nearly a year now and to my knowledge it has defeated every virus, trojan and tracker that it has encountered. As somebody who uses p2p a fair bit, I'm quite reassured by that.

The only annoying problem is that since running it, internet explorer does tend to crash a fair bit, perhaps once every few hours. It's annoying but with the latest version of explorer you can resume your previous browsing session anyway.

A Little History of the World
A Little History of the World
by Ernst Gombrich

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for both little adults and big children, 25 Nov. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of those children's books that you don't need to feel embarrassed about reading on the metro. I was a little put off by the very first pages - the prose style seemed to be aimed at very small children rather than 'young people'. Nethertheless, I quickly got used to it and Gombrich rapidly begins making some extraordinarily complex, yet delightful analogies to illustrate his rather sophisticated (and very socialist) takes on history.

Being neither a child nor a young person, I can't for certain say how much these groups will get from this book. I would imagine a lot, although as said, despite the prose, it might be a little difficult for young children. I'm sure readers of every age group will love this, however. A timeless classic hidden away for far too long.

Insight Flexi Map: Nice, Cannes & Monte Carlo (Insight Flexi Maps)
Insight Flexi Map: Nice, Cannes & Monte Carlo (Insight Flexi Maps)
by Insight
Edition: Map

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Fleximap, 26 Oct. 2009
Fleximaps are undoubtedly the best range out there - hardy, easy to fold/unfold, and stiff enough to withstand even the most blustery walk through St Tropez. My only gripe is that they could have included a little map of the enchanting town of Antibes.

Puma Men's Xr Runner Textile Ii Multicolored 345652-01 9.5 UK
Puma Men's Xr Runner Textile Ii Multicolored 345652-01 9.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable pair of trainers I've worn, 26 Oct. 2009
Jogging with these is like running on air. An excellent pair of trainers, if you aren't embarrassed by the garish glitter style (I bought these because they had been ridiculously cut in price...and I have no shame - perhaps the colours are offputting).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2009 5:48 PM GMT

Puma Men's Siena L Covert Green/Limestone Grey 344031-03 9.5 UK
Puma Men's Siena L Covert Green/Limestone Grey 344031-03 9.5 UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Look great but a not much bounce, 26 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Puma Men's Siena Trainer (Apparel)
Nice looking pair of trainers, and rather hardy, but totally lacking in spring and not really suitable as running shoes.

Madrid Insight Fleximap
Madrid Insight Fleximap
by American Map Corporation
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of their own, 26 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Madrid Insight Fleximap (Map)
Fleximaps are a little more expensive than the average map, yet probably last a lifetime, and certainly the average vacation. Ease of unfolding mean and their laminiated hardiness mean that they are both extensive and detailed. You even get a map of Toledo here too. The only maps to buy.

Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-robot Relationships
Love and Sex with Robots: The Evolution of Human-robot Relationships
by David Levy

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating ode to silicone love, 26 Oct. 2009
An absorbing, and for the most part, plausible case for love and sex with robots. The book is tremendously well researched - even to the point sometimes of being a little dry and academic. For example, when trying to pressgang the reader with a barrage of statistics into recognising the sanity of those who love their tamagotchis more than they could a real pet (or even their families). But whereas the first half of the book is a rather over-detailed and unconvincing account of human love for inanimate objects, the second half really comes to life when describing some of the amazing advances in both robotics and sex toy technology and what might be just around the corner.

This part of the book also contains an interesting (and quite grisely) chapter on the changing shifts in sexual mores. To the author, the fact that homosexuals were still being put to death in Europe little more than a century ago and yet are now engaging in legal matrimonies is proof enough that we will all be marrying robots in the year 2050. Moral attitudes are undoubtedly changing ever more rapidly, but the assumption that sexual morality, like technology, is moving down a one way progress street is doubtful (Alan Turing could be criminilized today for clicking on a picture of a 19 year old man rather than picking him up for sex). Nethertheless, Levy does realisticaly and thoroughly describe a quite enchanting vision of a near future world in which nobody need ever go without love and sex.

Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus 2009
Spyware Doctor with Anti Virus 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and efficient, 17 Dec. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was happy to get this from Amazon because my McAfee anti-virus software was causing a lot of processes on my computer to crash. Running this software has seen a vast improvement in terms of system speed and its scan uncovered a lot of nasty things that McAfee hadn't. The menu system is clear and easy to use and if it continues to run as effectively I'll have no hesitation when it comes to renewing my subscription.

The Hour I First Believed
The Hour I First Believed
by Wally Lamb

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite the heavyweight that it wants to be, 26 Nov. 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Only an author who truly merits the comparisons with Dostoyevsky that have astonishingly been bestowed upon him should ever dare to publish a novel weighing in at a hefty 900 odd pages. I don't think for a moment that Wally Lamb does stand comparison with such a literary heavyweight and for much of the hours (days?) I spent reading this book I was scratching my head as to why such acclaim was delivered from a source as august as the New York Times rather than merely the likes of Oprah Winfrey.

Perhaps this is a 'Crime and Punishment' for the daytime television generation and I just couldn't get it, but after wading through the curiously soulless and seemingly unending pages of Lamb's prose I never really did reach the hour of first believing that this book was not over long, over ambitious, and way over hyped. The author is a creative writing teacher and it shines through in almost every artificial, if impressively crafted, turn of phrase. It seems to me that an author like Ian McEwen can create a work that is architecturally imposing and with a structure impressively obvious enough when you look for it from a distance, but that manages to hide itself in such a natural and realistic ambiance when the reader is in the act of reading and immersing himself in the story itself. Here, I just couldn't forget that I was reading a novel instead of entering another world.

A further problem was that the book revolves around a disturbing and infamous event in an American teenage world (the Columbine High School Massacre) described in a very much adolescent, if intelligent, prose. Yet the narrator is a middle-aged man. Such a jarringly stylistic conceit could only be justified as an attempt to make sense to an adult readership a horrifyingly irrational event that otherwise could only begin to be explicable to a teenage mind. For me, it didn't pay off, and after 900 pages of your time, that is surely more than a let down.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11