187 of 198 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars
Reasons for buying and reasons for being delighted (UPDATED WITH SCART INFO), 29 May 2013
First of all, why did I buy this particular television and not one of the many others in this size / price range?
There are several reasons:
- the reviews about quality were very positive
- I have seen 3D and it wasn't a feature that I particularly wanted (do I really want to wear glasses over my glasses? and do I rent Blu-ray discs - no to both)
- I didn't want a "Smart" television as I have a PC permanently connected Lenovo VE74AUK Q190 Ultra Small Form Factor Desktop PC (Black) - Intel Celeron B887 1.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
; a really excellent PC designed for just such a role and which can be updated as time goes on, whereas the Smart function is going to get more and more out of date as time goes on, and is far less flexible - my advice is to find an old PC and just connect it rather than buying a Smart TV, or buy the Lenovo at the same time if you can afford it.
Now, why I am so delighted?
- the picture quality is probably the very best I have seen; it's sharp, contrast is great; very little blurring; it is stunning
- the HD freeview channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and CH4 at the time of writing) look especially good
- 2 x HDMI plus a SCART means that I can connect everything I need to connect
- sound quality is good; often this can be an issue with flat-screen televisions
- remote control is well thought out and easy to use (I have a Toshiba and the EPG seems to be in a totally random place...)
- installation was a doddle (you need a Philips screwdriver to attach the base, but the electronic installation is completely guided)
- standby energy consumption is very, very low
- it is by appointment to the Queen and if it good enough for her, then it should be good enough for me!!!
So, no downsides that I can find and all good.
===== UPDATED =====
A few people have asked about the SCART connector as I mention one in the review above but neither Amazon nor eBuyer mention on their websites. To confuse further, the images do not show a SCART connector.
Just to be totally clear, I have bought this and it definitely does have a single SCART connector on the back. I have also uploaded a couple of pictures of the back of my TV to show the arrangement. It is very different from the Amazon picture of the connectors on the back.
Also, for info, the Samsung website tech spec does state is has a SCART input, but their pictures are incorrect as they do not show the back of this model....