Profile for Regulus > Reviews

Contemporary Nest of Tables
Contemporary Nest of Tables

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wanted, 14 Oct 2008
This review is from: Contemporary Nest of Tables
I was a little sceptical when my wife ordered these, but she was right. They are superb. Extremely high quality, beautiful to look at, and at an incredible price. Delivery was good too - they even phoned to arrange a day.

How to Crack the Cryptic Crossword (Daily Telegraph)
How to Crack the Cryptic Crossword (Daily Telegraph)
by The Daily Telegraph

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb introduction to cryptic crosswords, 11 Oct 2008
This is an excellent introduction for the novice on how to solve cryptic crosswords. Obviously geared towards the (supposedly easier) Daily Telegraph cryptic crossword, this book will take the beginner to - well, if not an expert, at least in with a fighting chance. Before reading this book I hardly got anywhere with crosswords; now I finish the very occasional one.

The first section explains all the different types of clue, with examples and a crossword containing several examples of that type of clue, all flagged. It then gives tips on approaches to solving, a reference of all the abbreviations and special indicators you're likely to find. There are also several crosswords for you to try.

It would have been superb at twice the price, but this is superb value. Writing this review has convinced me I should reread it.

Outstanding Lateral Thinking Puzzles
Outstanding Lateral Thinking Puzzles
by Paul Sloane
Price: 4.78

2.0 out of 5 stars Puzzles are daft, 11 Oct 2008
I wonder if the other reviewers read the same book as me! I found the "solutions" to range from daft to completely arbitrary. The questions are under-specified and often there are many alternative answers, many better than the ones give here. I didn't get an "oh yes" feeling to any of the answers when I read them.

On the whole, I wish I'd saved my money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2010 2:35 PM BST

The Huge Quiz Book
The Huge Quiz Book
by Don Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars A bargain with problems, 11 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Huge Quiz Book (Paperback)
On the plus side, at this price the book is a bargain. There's no trick: it's a proper book, with 4000 questions and over 250 pages. As far as I can tell the questions are in random order, which I like.

The downsides are (a) I found the questions difficult. I'm old and good at general knowledge - usually - but many of these questions were arbitrarily difficult, obscure facts plucked at random from some source, and (b) the answers are immediately after each question, which makes it very difficult if you're reading it and testing yourself.

I think with a good quiz question, if you don't know the answer, you should often be kicking yourself when you hear it, or at least groan. That didn't happen here.

Still, at this price, why not?

Sandisk 2GB Cruzer Micro Skin - Retail Pack
Sandisk 2GB Cruzer Micro Skin - Retail Pack
Offered by pianumina
Price: 19.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not quite what it says on the box, 12 Sep 2007
I can't believe how the price of flash drives has dropped. I bought a 512k one just a little while ago and it cost 40. Now 2 GBs for under a tenner.

The drive is amazingly small and compact - it should be useful if you're trying to squeeze it into a USB port that's in a cramped spot on your laptop. It seems fast enough to me.

Now I use a Mac and all the supplied software is, as far as I can tell, completely useless. So I just dumped it and freed up a bit more space.

The Amazon description isn't quite right - there are no coloured skins or lanyard. You just get the drive with its tight-fitting plastic cap.

And although it sounds cheap, by the time you add VAT and postage and packing, the real bill came to 12.22.

But I think it's well worth it.

Sony RDR-GX120 Dual Format / Dual Layer DVD Recorder
Sony RDR-GX120 Dual Format / Dual Layer DVD Recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems so far, 3 Sep 2007
I ordered this product with much trepidation bearing in mind some of the negative earlier reviews. However, I wanted a cheap DVD recorder to archive material from my Sky+ hard disk, and this model was recommended to me elsewhere (and does have some good reviews elsewhere on the web). I'm pleased that so far the machine does exactly what I want.

It's easy to set up (I just connected SCARTs to my TV and Sky+ box; I didn't bother with the aerial), the manual is OK, and I was surprised by how easy it is to use - as soon as I figured out that:
(i) the correct set-up for the outputs is video/video-RGB/video (thanks for another review on Amazon for this), and
(ii) you have to select the input (as Line 3 - otherwise if you switch the TV off the recording will stop!

The quality of the recording is fine, even on the lower standards, and the discs play back just fine on my Mac. The sound recording level is a bit on the low side, though.

The recorder looks OK, too, although the remote feels a bit cheap. I haven't noticed any particular noise, and formatting is acceptably fast to me. As I say, my needs are rather specific, and if I wanted to do more I might find some of the problems others report. Also I've only had it a week, so there's still time for the other problems to manifest themselves!

How to Identify - Weather (Collins how to identify guides)
How to Identify - Weather (Collins how to identify guides)
by Storm Dunlop

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most useful books on the weather there is, 20 May 2002
This is one of the most useful books on the weather I've come across in a long time - and I have them all. The emphasis in this book is on seeing weather and atmosphere phenomena (clouds, glows, weather events) and interpreting what they mean - with a bit on forecasting the weather from what you can see. There is practical material in this book I haven't seen anywhere else (e.g. distinguishing cloud types, and estimating the relative heights of clouds). The photographs are numerous and gorgeous.

The Mind Game
The Mind Game
by Hector MacDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 22 Mar 2002
This review is from: The Mind Game (Paperback)
This was extremely readable - it just flew by. The settings are captured perfectly, and the story twists and turns. Don't peep at the end. My only reservation is that the characters weren't always believable, but this is a minor quibble.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3