Profile for S. G. Warner > Reviews

Content by S. G. Warner

S. G. Warner "pictobug" (Elgin, Scotland)

Girl Who Got Away
Girl Who Got Away
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars No., 13 April 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away (Audio CD)
I've been forced to listen to this god awful dirge for a few weeks now as my girlfriend has it. Seriously, this is music to make sandwiches to.

No. Just, no.

LINX HDMI Cable - Premium Gold Plated HDMI Lead For Full HD/HD Ready TV's - 2.4 Metres

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls slightly short., 26 Dec. 2009
Without wishing to get all pedantic, this is 10cm off 2.5 metres. Speaking as a fully qualified man, I'd like to agree with most women that size does indeed matter, so where's my 10cm????
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2009 2:05 PM GMT

Best Man
Best Man
by Matt Dunn

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like Jonathan Tropper, David Nicholls etc....., 4 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Best Man (Paperback)
......Avoid this book like the plague.
It has none of the sparkling dialogue of either of the aforementioned authors, the characters are one dimensional "blokey" types, and the "jokes" can be seen coming from several light years away. Saying all that, I've only read about a third of this book so it might improve ten-fold in the last two thirds, but I doubt it somehow. I just couldn't read it any more, it was annoyingly bad.

BioShock - Limited Edition Tin Case (PC DVD)
BioShock - Limited Edition Tin Case (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars The new Half Life 2?, 26 Aug. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'd been waiting for this game since I heard about it years ago so I was rather excited to get my hands on it.
One thing that had been bothering me though were the spec's required to run this game, my PC's a Pentium 4 3.4Ghz, nVidia 7600GT, 2Bg RAM so I'm somewhere just over minimum req'd specs. But as with most new games I envisaged a LOT of tweaking to get it run (especially after having seen the screenshots).
Well? Not a bit of it.
After installing (key code activation can be a bit of a pain, took me a dozen attempts) the game updates graphics drivers etc and a couple of (and I MEAN two) tweaks of the graphic settings, I was sorted.
And, OH MY WORD!!! This game is quite simply THE most beautifully designed game I've ever played. Right from the word go, you just KNOW you're playing something VERY special. The art deco interiors are simply stunning, SO imaginative. The sounds (the old gramaphone 40s and 50s "78"s playing here and there) together with the ambient sounds of the "city" immerse you in such a believable world.
I'm not going to go TOO much into the actual gameplay as I think it is best experienced fresh. Suffice to say there ARE vague similarities to HalfLife 2 but the one thing Bioshock has over HL is the freedom to play the way you want to play. Yes you're still being guided toward a final objective, but it's the way it's executed the stands Bioshock apart from HL. There are SO many ways of defeating your foes in Bioshock (EG, I just won my first fight with a major character without lifting a finger...just a little "pre-planning") and I haven't played long enough to recieve all of the available weapons and "powers".
But also, unlike 99% of other games I've played, once you've been to an area of the city, the door isn't closed behind you during some highly coincidental/unlikely occurance, you're free to go back there as much as you like (which IS handy if you've left something there you were unable to carry) but, things might not necessarily be the way you left them.

So is this a HalfLife beater? It's a VERY close one but I think so, yes. It does, I think, feel less funnelled and whilst it may not have the strong character cast of HL, the city itself and all the weird and wonderful enemies and gadgets and the sheer atmosphere created, JUST help Bioshock pip HL to the post.

Sorry Gordon.

Red Dwarf : Complete BBC Series 7 [2005] [DVD]
Red Dwarf : Complete BBC Series 7 [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear God!!!!!, 2 Jan. 2007
Before I say anything, I LIKE Red Dwarf. I have every other series on dvd apart from series eight and on the strength of series seven, I have my doubts about whether I'll bother buying it.

This is TRULY awful. I mean REALLY REALLY bad.

I've watched the whole thing and laughed, ooh, twice. At the most.

It's just so lame, the jokes are (see 'em coming a mile off) terrible, the stories seem like they were cobbled together on the back of a fag packet and Chloe Annett's charecter is just pointless and wrong.

Avoid, just pretend Red Dwarf finished at series six.

Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Look Around You : Complete BBC Series 1 [2002] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Serafanowicz

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!!!!!!, 11 Sept. 2006
Not much more to add to what's already been said, other than this is absolutely superb. I got mine today and (honestly) shed tears of laughter watching it....

"What ARE birds?.....We just don't know!"

For God's sake, if you have anything approaching a sense of humour, get Look Around You.

Just like The Fambly Cat
Just like The Fambly Cat
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars RIP Grandaddy., 28 May 2006
I've only listened to this two or three times since getting it but it's well on its way to being my favourite Grandaddy album. It's not as samey as Sumday (brilliant though Sumday is) and perhaps for the un-initiated, slightly more accessible than The Sophtware Slump (another classic) but it's absolutely un-mistakably Grandaddy, and for that I am truly grateful.

Basically if you like Grandaddy you'll love this, if you don't like Grandaddy, there's something wrong with you.

Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Napoleon Dynamite [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jon Heder
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 2 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Napoleon Dynamite [DVD] (DVD)
If you have a brain and don't need canned laughter to tell you when something funny just happened then you should, by rights, love this. If you don't "do" subtle, you'll hate it.